Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#270221 05/15/16 08:53 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Story

Panem is back at last! I'm still working on writing the Victory Tour, but I had some chapters ready, so I decided to start posting again.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
To say I am happy about seeing this story posted the other day is an understatement! party Clark is seeing a wider version of his world without hiding under the cover of darkness.

To Clark’s surprise, there had been a certain amount of acceptance from the people watching him. In a way, he was one of them. He wasn’t from District 12, but he was a kid from an outer district, someone for whom the odds had not been favorable, who had managed to survive. He hadn’t taken pleasure in participating in the Games, nor in destroying others, and when the families of the deceased tributes had brought him the required gifts — hothouse flowers from the Capitol, a plaque, and a piece of coal with the District 12 seal carved into it — they had been sad, but not angry at him.

People in other districts do what they can to help their citizens who are less fortunate then they are.

Clark had helped his intoxicated mentors into the car after the dinner was over while Marcius watched them in disgust. As the car had carried them back towards the train station, Clark had seen the two servants from the mayor’s home carrying bowls and platters of leftovers toward their families’ homes — apparently the mayor did not share the Capitolites’ attitude about leftover food and sharing it.

Something occurred to Clark as he looked at the people working in the fields and the few very elderly people and tiny children gathered in front of the small communities of shacks. Almost everyone was dark-skinned, while the Peacekeepers guarding the workers, identifiable by their somewhat modified uniforms and weapons, were almost all light-skinned. He wondered if the residents’ dark skin had anything to do with the heavy guard, though he couldn’t figure why that would be the case. There were dark-skinned people in District 9, but the Peacekeepers treated them no differently than the rest of the population.

Why is this the case? Have the people of this District done more to anger the Captiolites in times past than those of other districts? Why the modified weapons and uniforms? Will Clark ever discover the reason why?

Marcius narrowed his eyes at Clark. “Hasn’t anyone ever told you not to ask questions?”

“I just want to know —“

“<i>Stop asking questions.</i> You ask more questions than anyone I’ve ever met, and it’s going to get you into trouble.”

“But —“

Like a traffic cop, Marcius threw up a hand, palm forward as he almost shouted, “<i>Stop.</i> This is neither the time nor the place for questions. The Peacekeepers here aren’t known for their sense of humor, and if anyone overhears you asking questions, they might think they can do the same thing.”

Marcius knows exactly what this is all about. Otherwise is his reaction would be calm. Clark needs to be careful. He is asking a lot of questions. He's being true to his reporter's instincts.

Clark pushed his glasses firmly back into place and dropped his arms to his sides, trying not to attract any more attention. He knew that he shouldn’t have let his temper get the better of him, though he wasn’t sorry he’d saved the child from being flogged. The old woman seemed to have some inkling that he’d had something to do with it, and that was a problem.

Maybe. But how would she be able to prove it?

Asking questions and trying to help people were things he couldn’t allow himself to do, no matter how tempting. He had to try to keep a low profile, as difficult as that was for a victor, and make it through this tour with no further incidents.

Ouch! Clark, don't let them bully you into silence and inactivity! help

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Morgana
To say I am happy about seeing this story posted the other day is an understatement! party Clark is seeing a wider version of his world without hiding under the cover of darkness.
In Panem, it is almost always illegal to venture out of one's own district. Even going a little way beyond the fence is forbidden (though whether one can get away with it or not depends a lot upon who might be watching). Clark would get into serious trouble (as would everyone he cares about) if he got caught outside his district. As a victor on tour, however, he can legally go a lot more places (though he's still restricted).

People in other districts do what they can to help their citizens who are less fortunate then they are.
It's the only way to survive.

Why is this the case? Have the people of this District done more to anger the Captiolites in times past than those of other districts? Why the modified weapons and uniforms? Will Clark ever discover the reason why?
I think it's supposed to be an allegory for slavery in American history (except even harder to escape because it's high-tech). District 11 is restive, though, as shown in the movie The Hunger Games when a riot breaks out after Rue's death. Oppressing a large number of people and keeping them hungry is not a good way to get on their good side (as the Romanovs and Bourbons could tell you, except people got sick of their oppression and removed them from power with extreme prejudice). Now throw in killing their children for sport, punishing people for capricious reasons, and giving the people an occasional glimpse of a world that is not so unpleasant (which they have no chance of ever attaining), and you've got a powder keg situation.

Marcius knows exactly what this is all about. Otherwise is his reaction would be calm. Clark needs to be careful. He is asking a lot of questions. He's being true to his reporter's instincts.
Yes, asking questions can get people into a lot of trouble (up to and including being executed). Clark is naturally curious and doesn't always know when to keep his mouth shut. Marcius, meanwhile, would prefer not to die or be made into an Avox because he can't control him.

Maybe. But how would she be able to prove it?
In a world like this, rumors can be extremely damaging, especially since Snow is aware of what Clark can do.

Ouch! Clark, don't let them bully you into silence and inactivity! help
Unless Kryptonite is involved, Clark can't be harmed. The same can't be said for his family, friends, mentors, etc. Snow controls Clark by threatening others -- and it works.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard