Print Thread
#270164 05/09/16 12:31 PM
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
This is the first power I'm giving to Clark that isn't really canon, I guess, it would make sense that he cold see more varieties of light than the average human, especially given his 'x-ray' vision, but, to my limited knowledge, the mechanics for that are never really explained.

Links I used for this:
https://bybio.wordpress.com/2013/09/09/yellow-blue-green-right/
http://blog.nature.org/science/2015/08/17/field-guide-wrong-birds-eye-view-world-color-vision/
The Starling in simulated UV vision: http://photographyoftheinvisiblewor...ropean-starling-sturnus-vulgaris-in.html
Black-Eyed Susan in UV: http://www.naturfotograf.com/UV_RUDB_HIR.html
Dandelion in UV: http://www.naturfotograf.com/UV_TARA_VUL.html

I was tempted to add a scene with adult Clark reading some of these articles and realizing what exactly he'd been seeing all along =)

Sara "Lieta"
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Interesting story, Lieta notworthy...

I agree, it does make a lot of sense that Clark would be able to see more colors than the average person. I like this theory.

I also enjoyed how you wrote Clark, Martha, and how they figured out how to solve their problem.

Really great!
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Thanks Laura, I was actually a little meh about adding the glasses bit as another push to 'be normal' but this is also taking place in 1972 in my head-canon for it so expectations were a lot different then. Speaking of, UV vision is half of a plan for explaining something that drives me crazy in his powers, and I actually have a piece of a timeline I was working on to test out a new software:
[Linked Image]
So far they've mostly been in order, I actually changed the ages I wanted him to get enhanced vision after writing Cacophony, heh. And there is a surprise in there too =)

Sara "Lieta"
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hmm....'secret ability' in 1975.

That'll be fun to hear about!
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I love it. Clark is just fortunate that he didn't have the teacher discussed in Harry Chapin's poignant song Flowers are Red.

Now any time I hear that song, I'll think of your Clark to cheer me up afterwards.

Joy,
Lynn

L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
It will be something that's been played with before, Laura, but never with Clark as a kid to my knowledge.

Thanks Lynn, that story would be even more heartbreaking if the kid was red-green color blind =( I didn't necessarily like that Martha was getting him glasses so his color vision came out 'normal' but it's been done before with his vision skills a lot in fics and, sadly, fits well for a rural community in the 70's, especially with all his parents are trying to keep quiet.

Although now I'm picturing the linked research in a world where Superman can come up and say 'well, I don't know exactly how birds, bees or reptiles see it... but here's what *I* see!'

Sara "Lieta"
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Interesting! It makes sense that Clark would be able to see more. I could see this going hand in hand with his telescopic vision - the more he zooms in, the greater the details and colors.

Nice take on things!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
So that's how Clark got his glasses!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
Thanks DC and Morgana =)

I thought about extending it a bit, after all, the light spectrum goes infra-red, visible, ultraviolet, x-ray... but the 'x-ray vision' doesn't really work like actually seeing in x-rays would... I also thought about making him able to hear radio waves... but that would require a lot of physiology differences from us, then again, you can cover a lot of ground with 'but he's Kryptonian'. It would also be really cool if he could selectively see different wavelengths, like these shots of our galaxy:

Sara "Lieta"
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Sara!

Chromaticity
Sounds like Harmonicity. Is this a Just Say Noah fic?

Clark was making full use of one of his birthday presents now that he was out of school for the summer.
Apparently not clap

"Clark," Martha said, "these are wonderful. But why did you color them this way?"
laugh Oops?

"Clark, sweetie, how do you feel about having your own glasses?" Martha asked.
Aww…what a great idea!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Lieta Offline OP
Columnist
OP Offline
Columnist
L
I probably should take Mike up on having all of these under one FDK, heh, but glad you liked this thread of what's turned into my 'powers' series =)

Sara "Lieta"

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard