Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
peep

This groaner is in honor of the annual O. Henry Pun-Off World Championships. (It was going to be in honor of Halloween, but I didn't want to wait half a year to post.) See http://www.punpunpun.com/ for more information about the contest.

As always, all feedback much appreciated.

Joy,

Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
That ending was so groan-inducing, I had to laugh. Great work!

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Lynn!
The Case of the Missing Artwork
Ooooh! A Sherlock Holmes homage?

It was having to be the beacon of hope for the world when he, himself, had precious little hope left for himself or for Lois.
Oh?

It had been just over a month since he had last seen his wife.
Phone tag?

ten-foot-long paintings (still in their original frames) out of the country.
Fancy!

The last time Clark had seen Lois, she had just hung up the phone and told him that one of their sources had called in a tip.
An angstful story by Lynn? In a short story? help

As it was, Lois just -- disappeared.
shock

"Clark! I'm so glad you're home. I could really use you-know-who's help right now. Can he come get me?"
hyper

"I'm fine, now. I'm in France. I'm sorry I worried you; I was unable to call before.
She was stuck in a container?

As soon as the lackeys left, I went in to explore. Then the walls started closing in and I blacked out
Really, Lois? Walking *inside* a man cave?

I woke up about an hour ago and saw the walls expanding.
laugh So, how did she survive? Was she in some sort of extra-dimensional vortex, held in stasis until she returned to our realm? And is Nestor the explanation how Superman is able to store his clothes while wearing the suit?

"That's right. He's a werehouse."
rotflol And he’s only doing these heists every other month because he can only become a house during a full moon?

Unexpected this is.

Jar-Jar: Meesa likin’ these!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Ha! rotflol lol clap rotflol lol clap

Loved this, Lynn. Thanks notworthy...
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
clap Really funny! Poor Lois. What a place to be stuck for a month. lol

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yup, this was a groaner, but a fun one!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thank you all for the feedback.

Annie, I'm delighted that my story went all the way through the groaner phase and back into laughworthy territory for you. smile

Michael,
An angstful story by Lynn? In a short story? help

They are pretty rare, but there are a few... just not this one. smile

Really, Lois? Walking *inside* a man cave?

Literally!

And he’s only doing these heists every other month because he can only become a house during a full moon?
Exactly. One full moon to lad him up with valuables, and the next one to empty him. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Unexpected this is.

Jar-Jar: Meesa likin’ these!

Someone has been watching Star Wars, methinks. (This summer I'll be able to geek out when I can watch for the first time both The Force Awakens and Batman v. Superman.)

Virginia, agreed. Fortunately for Lois, she was not aware of the passage of time.

Laura and Morgana, I'm glad you both enjoyed it. One never knows how humour writing will be received, and that goes double for puns. I also wasn't sure how the (hopefully) unexpected ending would be received -- whether the sudden shift in tone would be jarring. (But, Michael, I hadn't thought it would be Jar-Jaring! wink )

Joy,
Lynn

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
A bad copy but

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi dcarson,

Thank you for sharing that link. That song was hysterical and a delightful way to start my morning.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Someone has been watching Star Wars, methinks.
laugh

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
As I was getting close to the end of the story, I was kind of shaking my head at how ridiculous and lame it was - all the action's off-camera (as it were), and it wrapped up too easily. I judged too soon. That last line was awesome. I love elaborate pun set-ups. smile

Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
I also wasn't sure how the (hopefully) unexpected ending would be received -- whether the sudden shift in tone would be jarring.
I didn't find the shift in tone jarring; for me it really sold the pun.

I can't believe that I never made the connection between warehouse and werehouse. It seems so obvious now that you've so very delightfully illustrated the idea.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hello Mrs. Mxy,

Thanks for sticking it out through what I'll agree would have been pretty weak writing had this been a straight-forward story. I'm glad you made it to the end and realized why I made the writing choices I did. I'm also thrilled that the you found payoff to be worth the build-up.

And thanks for the feedback. It put a wonderful end to a very-hectic work week.

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard