Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Story is Here .

I hope y'all like this part. smile

This part could have gone so many ways, and I burned through a lot of my buffer trying to work out something that felt just right. Hopefully the rest goes smoother. For the record, I actually do have an outline to follow--it's just that right now, there are five different versions of it. :p

~•~
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well the problem with 5 different versions of the outline is keeping them straight and figuring out how to bridge from one to another when you decide to change the direction of the story.

This was a nice chapter and I really loved the last comment by Michel. Clark can tell him about staying on Martha's good side.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, how I love the parallels between Suzanne and Lois. clap Brilliant! Michel doesn't even realize how jealous she sounds with her accusations. I thought she was a geologist, too. Strange that she's not interested in his rock.

I'm glad Michel came back for Clark. It shows his integrity. Coming from below instead of above as Trask would expect was wonderful! Of course Michel would come from below; he's a man of the earth, soil, and rocks. Clark is a man of the sky.

"Haven't you ever heard of the French Resistance?" lol Gotta love Michel. That closing line of his is the best though.

Did it knock me out of the story to hear Clark be cruel to Michel because he wouldn't do what Clark would in the same scenario? No, because Clark was looking at Michel, not as a brother, someone different from himself, but as someone who was just like himself. Instead of listening to Michel and hearing what he had to suggest, Clark lashed out when his plan was rejected. They sound like siblings to me.

That must be one convoluted timeline/outline. Are you sure you weren't thinking of writing a Choose your own Adventure story, here? wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Heh, it sometimes feels like a choose your own adventure story. :p

My original plan, way back when, called for Clark and Michel to simply rescue Wayne together, no fuss. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get the scene to come together. After I rewrote my WIP (before learning that writing and rewriting simultaneously is not advised), I realized that it just wouldn't be that easy. So, I redid my outline based on the idea that Michel just leaves and Clark saves the day himself...somehow. Five outlines later, here we are. I might go back and try to delete the clearly obsolete ones, except there are still a couple Schrödinger points scattered across them, which I haven't come to yet. X_X

Btw, I didn't mean to make Susanne seem disinterested in the rock; just smart enough to know that you shouldn't leave a box of radioactive stuff open.

~•~
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Just a heads up: Sunday's part will likely be late since I'm losing my internet connection for a while. Sorry for the inconvenience. frown

~•~
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Mary!
His mother and father were both teaching classes, right about now, so he couldn't go to them for advice; then again, he already knew what they would likely say.
“Don’t put that dirty rock in your mouth”?

“And just where have you been, all this time?!” a voice snapped, startling him. He looked up to see Susanne at his desk, arms crossed, glaring at him through puffy, red-rimmed eyes.
shock Did he spend the day and night in Kansas?

“I'm sorry for taking so long at lunch.
*Lunch*?

“What's in it?” she demanded, reaching for it. “Why are you sneaking around with it?”
MICHEL: It’s…just a crystal…
SUSANNE: METH! You’re…you’re…cooking *METH* in your lunch break!

“What is it really? Photos of your undergraduate intern modeling lingerie? Love letters from your wife in Brussels?”
shock She’s…she’s…a…*LOIS*! Also, jealous. jawdrop
LOIS: What kind of ‘she’s a Lois’ doesn’t he get?

A hot, fiery pain swept through Michel's body...
Oops?

for about half a second. The lid immediately slammed closed again with a metallic thunk, and Susanne looked up at him apologetically.
Hey, look! She’s a smart cookie. Wonder just how long he’ll be out.

“I don't know, yet,” Michel admitted. “It's something I'm studying for a fr—” He paused. “For someone I know.”

“I see.” After a looking decidedly lost for a moment, Susanne bent and picked up the fallen papers. She placed the stack on his desk, tapped it straight, then turned and started towards the door with heavy steps.
She’s wondering about the chromosome distribution of said ‘friend’.

“Perhaps,” Susanne murmured. “In the end, her village was one of those the Nazis massacred in retaliation against the Resistance. My mother was just a little girl, at the time; she and her eldest sister, my Aunt Yvette, barely escaped with their lives. The rest of them didn't make it.”
One wonders what had happened to her grandfather by that time.

Trask leaned forward on the table, his eyes boring into Clark's. “*I* will ask the questions here, Mr. Kent. You were trespassing on a Bureau 39 base, so *you* will answer to *me*.
Can you trespass in a base set up by an illegitimate organization which doesn’t even own the land it set the base up on?
TRASK: What’s he meaning, ‘illegitimate’? confused

“There's another possibility,” Trask said, resuming his seat and looking Clark over. “Perhaps the alien has taken over your mind, infused you with its power.”
Not really, given how the female isn’t interested in him in that way.

Trask shot to his feet just as a second explosion sounded. “What's happening?” he barked, already half-way to the entrance of the tent.
Kryptonians raiding the camp. It’s Smallville. This was bound to happen sooner or later.

A figure in black, its face concealed by a ski-mask, yanked him to his feet and pushed him toward a hole that had suddenly appeared in the ground.
laugh Loving the parallel to the Resistance!

From the darkness behind him, he heard Michel chuckle. “What, you've never heard of the French Underground?”
clap Yes, indeed. There’s a Frenchman underground.

“But to answer your question: Ammonium Nitrate. I borrowed some fertilizer from your parents to create a diversion.
shock He…he…homemade-bombed the camp?

“Clark?” Michel said, suddenly.

“Yes?” Clark replied.

“If you still have *any* regard for me at all, please don't ever breathe a word to my mother about any of this.”
clap

This keeps being highly entertaining. Am wondering how (not really when, though) Susanne will finally decide to make the first move.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Originally Posted by Darth Michael
Hi Mary!
Hi Darth! wave

Yes, indeed. There’s a Frenchman underground.

I'm inordinately proud of that pun. blush

He…he…homemade-bombed the camp?

Do you want some behind the scenes info? wink
Back when I was first coming up with this fic, I was going to have it set a little bit later in the season, IIRC, and originally, the only reason to have Michel be a geologist was to have an explanation for why he didn't know about Superman's debut right away: he was "literally under a rock". That was it; no other purpose for it or reference to it. Since then, of course, the story has evolved, and Michel has taken on a life of his own, with his background playing a bit more of a role in events, as seen here. smile It's fun when stories and characters run off, although then we have to scramble to catch up to them...

~•~
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I LOVED this chapter!

What a great escape...to have Michel do what he does best and go (from underground) to a safe place with Clark. So creative notworthy. Not to mention, Trask (I would think) would be thrown off by this situation--he wouldn't expect 'Superman' to go underground, be wearing black, handle everything as he did.

GREAT line at the end, btw smile
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
he was "literally under a rock".
laugh

It's fun when stories and characters run off, although then we have to scramble to catch up to them...
Oh, yes...mad scrambles...

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard