Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#269865 04/17/16 07:49 PM
N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1B9dF4LapdjmLuvyUn3gY-xvHplo-P59Lp8RYiwPk5L8/edit?usp=sharing

This is the IRC how-to that I promised I'd write for the Kerth Awards later this week.
The instructions I've put in this doc are for Windows users. If anyone can help with a Mac version, that'd be great (I have never used a Mac in my life lol).

If you run into problems, you can PM me through the boards. I'll definitely be at the ceremony on the weekend, so I'll be available to walk you through getting onto the IRC if you need it.

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Thanks for the how-to. I had used Mibbit last year, since it didn't require downloading an IRC client, but when I tried getting in just now, it indicated that they had already reached the maximum number of connections to Undernet. It's good to have your documentation in case I need to execute "plan B" on ceremony day.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks for the refresher course! This will come in handy on Saturday.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Hey, I think that worked! Excellent instructions. Thank you, NostalgiaKick!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
No worries! Glad it worked for you smile I hope the difference in colours wasn't too off putting, I find the black on white a bit hard on the eyes after a while

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Top Banana
Top Banana
Can this be done on a smartphone? I have an Android.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
A
Columnist
Columnist
A
Thank you so much NostalgiaKick! smile

Did everyone see that the start time has been decided? See you Saturday at 6 p.m. Central!

Amber

N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
AnnieB, there's a few different Android apps for IRC out there. The only one I've had success with is AndroIRC, which has a free version.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I'll see if I can figure it out. I have a performance tomorrow, but might be able to use my phone to participate while waiting backstage.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Here are some Mac/iOS options:
LimeChat(Mac App Store): https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/limechat/id414030210?mt=12
Colloquy(Downloadable Mac): http://colloquy.info
Both are free. I use Colloquy.
iOS:
Colloquy: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/colloquy-irc-client/id302000478?mt=8
Limechat is also available but the iOS version is $5.
There are other options as well.

To connect with Colloquy, choose "New Server", then from the Chat Server popup choose us.undernet.org or eu.undernet.org. Then you can join the chatrooms.

Debbie

N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Awesome, thanks Debbie! smile

Top Banana
Top Banana
I have tried to connect to Internet using several IRC apps, but I can't connect with any of them. It may have something to do with my location in a canyon (outdoor theater). Darn it!

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Annie, have you tried mibbit.com? They have a web-based IRC client. I am guessing that if you could get to the lcficmbs site, you should be able to get there and, hopefully, to the chatrooms.

I'd say, "Good luckm" but considering where you are... Break a leg!

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
When I logged on to mIRC just now there was an update. So, if you haven't visited since last year, you might want to come early in case you need to update to latest version.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Thanks NostalgiaKick for the great tutorial. It was the first time I used IRC, and went without any issues. I did sign up ahead of time just to be sure.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
You're welcome Cuidadora smile I'm glad you made it in for the ceremony! Actually it was wonderful to see so many people there, even if a few familiar 'faces' were missing

Blogger
Blogger
Is there a permanent IRC channel outside of the Kerths? Or any other sort of chat that is smile

Last edited by Thaeri; 06/20/16 04:32 PM.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Thaeri, and welcome aboard. smile

There are two relevant IRC channels that I know of: #lanekent and #loisclark.

Joy,
Lynn

Blogger
Blogger
How do you access them? I can't find them on the undernet server (I can connect to us.undernet.org, but eu.undernet.org seems dead).

I understand if leaving them open for anyone isn't an option, but I'd still like to know how smile Being a member of the forum and all.

I know why you may not trust me, it's just that I have no idea how to talk myself out of this. I just grew up with Lois & Clark, found this forum and read some fanfic and felt right at home smile

Last edited by Thaeri; 06/20/16 05:38 PM.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hello Thaeri,

I don't actually use chat myself except for the Kerth ceremonies. I only know about #lanekent and #loisclark because each year I duck into one of these two channels in order to test my IRC software preparatory to the ceremony. They should be available via an Undernet server, though.

I'm not sure why you aren't seeing them; it has absolutely nothing to do with privacy. I have found Lois & Clark fandom to be a warm and welcoming environment, and I hope you do the same. The only restrictions I have seen are those imposed to restrict minors from gaining access to "adult" fiction.

I wish I could give you more help, but perhaps someone who uses chat more frequently will be able to chime in.

Joy,
Lynn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard