Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#269984 04/24/16 09:34 PM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Comments go here. Story is here.

I've never been thrilled with Lois and Superman's conversation in BatP. And I wondered if what Clark was missing was some parental advice. In addition to getting rid of the need to throw Lois into Lex's arms to advance the canon plotline. This is what I came up with.

Although it didn't start out that way, it ended up fitting into VirginiaR's Elvis Song Title Challenge.

Last edited by cuidadora; 04/24/16 09:42 PM. Reason: add story link

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, Clark, aka Superman, certainly needed some Super advice from his Super folks before going to speak to Lois as Superman after she crushed Clark's heart under her heal. If only, he had!

You had some really great lines in this story:

Giving Luthor much more time and consideration than she gave Clark, in the process scattering what was left of the pieces of Clark’s heart.
Oooooh. Good point. That must have burned. Ouch! No wonder he was pissed.

So he turned to the two people who’d always accepted and loved him.

Unconditionally.
It does beg the question 'why' he didn't do so in canon, because he asked their advice on every other aspect of his life since moving to Metropolis! After Lois's rebuttal, he really did need some love to build up his self-confidence.

His parents always knew what to say, and what not to say. Their common sense and wisdom helped him to realize that Superman could not be cruel or hurtful to Lois. And he needed to remember she saw him as two different people, that she rejected Clark, not Superman. Mom told him she thought Lois saw herself in love with Superman, and unlike her father she was being monogamous in her love. Mom also thought Lois couldn’t see her love for Clark because she was blinded by the superhero and she saw Clark originally as a competitor, then later a friend. Maybe she’s just not ready for romantic love.
I love Martha. She's so wise. I never thought of Lois rejecting Clark as a suitor was because she saw him as competition to Superman's affections (for her). That if Superman knew Clark was courting her, he would back away. Oh, blind, Lois, so very blind Lois.

He was reminded again of his parents’ advice. Martha’s gentle voice earlier today masked her frustration and anger. He was floored when she suggested that Lois might try to seduce Superman. Until that moment he hadn’t even considered that possibility.
Martha is so very, very wise.

Uncomfortable at violating his own code of ethics by using his senses to see and hear her, nevertheless he recognized its necessity to get a better idea of what she planned—and to at least have an inkling of how to respond.
When going into battle, it is best to know what your enemy's plans are before you go in.

Why could he calmly face down Jason Trask after becoming powerless from kryptonite, an amnesia-causing asteroid and terrorists holding the Daily Planet hostage but the very idea of confronting Lois turned him into a mass of quivering red and blue Jell-O?
lol Love this!

More than Superman, he was Clark Kent.

He had always been Clark.

And saving Lois was a job only Clark Kent as Superman could do.

Clark knew Lois better than anyone. He could see the nuances in her body language and hear the subtle emotions in her voice—without superpowers.

If things went badly, he could walk or fly away, and Superman could vanish. Clark, however, needed to survive. Superman could disappear as quickly and mysteriously as he had appeared to save the space shuttle, but Clark would be shattered if Lois got herself more closely entangled with Luthor.

And Clark had family and friends who needed him… and he needed them.

Superman on the other hand was alone.
So true!

No matter what happened, he would let her start talking. Listen with both his ears and heart while watching her body language. Don’t make decisions alone for this independent career woman. Good advice from Mom and Dad. Now if only following it were as easy as listening to it.
Yeah, good luck with that, Clark. Too bad it was the only advice he didn't follow.

“Let’s start with this. You say you love me. Yet, you’ve been dating Lex Luthor. And I don’t understand. Just how serious are you about both of us?”
Point to Superman!

He opened his eyes and asked, “Why Lois? Are you holding his proposal in reserve if I say ‘No’?”

Lois blushed again. “I guess so…”

“Is that fair to either of us? No, don’t answer that. You should know this feels very close to blackmail. And I’ve never responded well to threats.”
Ouch! Another point to Superman, but one Lois deserved to hear.

“I didn’t think about that… You must think I’m stupid.”

Don’t Be Cruel.

“No, I don’t think you’re stupid.
[Linked Image] Clark, it isn't nice to call Lois stupid in your head, either.

“I’m just surprised. I never pictured you as a producer in TV news. But if it makes you happy, that’s great. There’s something else you need to consider though. Will your job be there if you and I are an item?”

“What do you mean?”

“Lois, you work for Lex Luthor. I don’t know if your job has anything to do with his proposal. I am concerned no matter how you answer him; you may not like the outcome.
First of all, WE all know that Lois only got the job at LNN because of Lex. On the other hand, isn't it a tad bit cruel to imply to Lois the truth of that statement. SHE thinks she got the job on her merits as a reporter, not as the boss's fiancee.

I’ve thought you were closer to Clark than to me, and he’s tried to talk to you. If you didn’t want to hear it from your partner, why would you want to hear it from me?
Yeah, Lois. Why are these concerns about Luthor more viable if Superman tells you about them than if Clark does? You know that they're the same guy! Ooops. You don't? My bad.

My relationship with Clark is… complicated. It’s one of those things you don’t know about... and before you ask, I’m not going to tell you any more about it tonight.
Understatement of the year. clap Yeah, tonight's not a good night to discuss THAT relationship.

“I’m saying there’s a lot to consider. Yes, I’d like there to be hope for us. But I don’t know how it would work or if it could work. And the first thing you have to decide is whether or not you are going to accept Lex Luthor’s proposal.

Lois, no one wants to be second choice. Not me and not him. You have to decide what you want. Who do you see spending your life with? Who can you build the life you both want? Is that Lex Luthor, me or… someone else?”

Like Clark? Please?
I vote for CLARK! Yeah! I like Superman letting Lois have it. Playing these three against each other wasn't very fair to any of them. Then, again, dumping Lex for Superman isn't going to make the billionaire super happy either. Hate to see Lex's reaction if she tells him 'no' and then later finds out it's because she's secretly dating Superman. That would be BAD, in such a good way for us readers. You know, intrigue, action, Lex losing it, a terrific rescue scene, and so forth.

Superman cocked his head, staring out the window and listening. “I’m sorry Lois, but someone needs me. Can we continue this talk another time?”

“Sure. Go. I have a lot to think about. Thanks again for coming tonight.”
Saved by the "help!" Wonder what Lois will decide now?

Originally Posted by cuidadora
Although it didn't start out that way, it ended up fitting into VirginiaR's Elvis Song Title Challenge.
Yea! Someone took up my challenge! I find the list a good way to find titles when your mind just can't find one that fits.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Loved this, Cuidadora clap clap clap!

What a great idea--to have Clark cool down a bit, go to Kansas, talk to his parents, and THEN go over to Lois' apartment notworthy.

Like Virginia pointed out, Clark has gotten Martha and Jonathan's advice time and time again, for so many different things (like even 'removing bomb stains' from his uniform thumbsup). Why wouldn't he talk to them after Lois' rejection? Because throwing it all out there--putting it all on the line for love with Lois--was easily one of the biggest 'moments' in Clark's life up to that point.

So much wish there was more of this! Will you do a sequel? grovel grovel grovel

Great idea--and love the title hyper!
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 04/25/16 01:50 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Hi Virginia. Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted by VirginiaR
It does beg the question 'why' he didn't do so in canon, because he asked their advice on every other aspect of his life since moving to Metropolis! After Lois's rebuttal, he really did need some love to build up his self-confidence.

The cynic or maybe pragmatist in me says he didn't seek Martha and Jonathan's advice because Lois would not have ended up running to Lex Luthor after feeling she had no other options. And anything else didn't fit into the canon timeline. I have trouble thinking he was too upset to go home and seek comfort.

Yes, he needed love and probably some Mom and Dad hugs. Can't get too many of those!

First of all, WE all know that Lois only got the job at LNN because of Lex. On the other hand, isn't it a tad bit cruel to imply to Lois the truth of that statement. SHE thinks she got the job on her merits as a reporter, not as the boss's fiancee.

You're right; we do know differently than Lois. So does Clark. Clark is starting to lose his control, and lets this slip out. He's trying to guide her to see how her life is being manipulated without directly saying "Lois you're being used." And sometimes even Superman isn't perfect.

Yeah, Lois. Why are these concerns about Luthor more viable if Superman tells you about them than if Clark does? You know that they're the same guy! Ooops. You don't? My bad.

lol Yup. He's trying to justify for not telling Lois as Superman what's going on, and we all know how poor his excuses can be.

Saved by the "help!" Wonder what Lois will decide now?

whistle

Thanks for commenting!

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Hi Laura,

Glad you liked it!

I agree that it doesn't make sense for Clark not to have gone home before seeing Lois as Superman. He was following his parents' advice to tell her his feelings. His first response would have been to head home ASAP for some TLC and advice after that revelation backfired so spectacularly.

Yes, there will be a sequel. Clark didn't see Martha and Jonathan in HoL much either, and I'm sure there's room for more parental advice. wink Not sure about a posting timetable, as it's still in the outline phase.

Thanks for commenting!

Last edited by cuidadora; 04/25/16 05:39 PM. Reason: correction

Cuidadora

L
Columnist
Columnist
L
Nicely done, =) I'm not too far into reading things currently being posted on the forum (I've been rereading things on the archive around writing). I loved how you played with conversation at Lois' apartment and I especially liked how you added in methods Clark would need to use to control his powers/temper.

Sara "Lieta"
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Thanks Lieta.

I had fun with both that conversation, and Clark's ways of controlling his temper. Glad you liked it.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Cuidadora

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Cuidadora,

I like your take on how things should have gone; I, too, think Clark's behavior in it is more in character than what we saw in canon.

BTW, I think yours is the first avatar I've ever seen of Clark's parents. I like it!

Joy,
Lynn

Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Hi Lynn!
Glad you enjoyed the story and the avatar. smile1
I don't recall seeing any avatars of Martha & Jonathan either, and thought the site needed at least one.

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Last edited by cuidadora; 04/25/16 10:26 PM.

Cuidadora

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard