Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I apologize for the Christmas story in April, but I blame the recent cold and snow for putting me in the mood. (Christmas was 70 degrees for us this year, so I had a hard time writing something Christmassy.) I've been wanting to write this for a couple of years now, which is also why I'm so eager to post this now, instead of just waiting for December.

Please enjoy! smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Top Banana
Top Banana
That was beautiful.

I do have to wonder, though -- how did Clark still have an apartment to go back to after being gone all those months? Who was paying the rent?

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Annie B.
That was beautiful.

I do have to wonder, though -- how did Clark still have an apartment to go back to after being gone all those months? Who was paying the rent?

Thank you. smile

I imagined that Clark set aside money to keep up the rent. Or that Lois paid, being unable to give it up, in hopes that he would return.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Awww. How sweet! This story didn't go at all as I suspected it would when I first started reading it. I figured it would be an introspective piece on missing Clark, or Clark doing something romantic or sweet during his absence, or end up being a dream (due to that line about dreaming). Yet, once again, DC, you shifted course into this wonderfully waffy story about Clark's return.

How sad it was for her that there on Christmas Eve, she was once again alone, due to the fact that the Kents were snowed in (or at least the planes were).

Why, oh why, had she bothered to decorate the apartment?

"Because," she whispered to herself in the otherwise silent, still apartment, "it's his favorite holiday."
Awwww. This one lines shows how much Clark has impacted upon Lois's life.

After all, she wasn't celebrating the holiday this year, no more than Jonathan and Martha Kent were. Oh, they all pretended that they were in the Christmas spirit, but none of them were fooling anyone.
So true! I love this line. It perfectly describes how Lois feels in the first half of this fic.

For a brief moment, she wondered if it could be Steve, who lived on the eighth floor. He and his wife, Kim, had no children of their own, but had made it a tradition since they'd moved into the building five years before, to dress as Santa and Missus Claus and visit each of the apartments with young children. The parents usually slipped the two a gift for each child, for Santa to deliver on Christmas Eve, to spark the Christmas excitement and to tide the kids over until the morning. It was a cute tradition, Lois had to admit. But what could the two want with her? And at this hour of the night?
I love this tradition! What great neighbors! I truly hoped that Clark had left a gift for Steve to deliver to Lois. However, she wasn't the only one surprised by who she found on the other side of that door.

"Merry Christmas, Lois," came the reply as she abruptly cut off her own words.

Lois felt herself staring. For a moment, she was unable to speak. Then, finally, in a wobbly, untrusting voice, "Clark? Is that really you?"

"It's me. I'm home."

"Oh, God."

The words bubbled up as a sob. Her body sagged as her knees gave out. But Clark was right there, catching her in his arms, just as he always had. Together, they embraced, wordlessly taking in the moment of blissful reunion.
It's a dream. It has to be a dream.

"Why are you so cold? You don't get cold."

"No, I usually don't," he admitted as he followed her into the warmth of her apartment.

"Then...why?" Lois asked, concern flooding her.

"I walked here. There aren't any cabs out in this weather." He shrugged, as though it didn't bother him in the least.
Then, I thought that Clark had hired the Superman impersonator to visit Lois as Clark (although, then I thought, why would he do that?)

"Walked?" Lois asked. "But you can just...you know." She made their mutual gesture for flying.

"My powers aren't fully back," Clark said he hung up his sodden coat on a peg. He ran a hand through his hair, brushing out some of the half-melted snowflakes. "I haven't had much time to soak up the sunlight." He shrugged again. "It's not a big deal."
Why would Clark an impersonator these details? Nope, must be the real deal. (Back to 'it's a dream' theory.)

Anyway, I had to wrap your Christmas present before I came over." He gave her a grin.
LOIS: Oh, crap! I forgot to get Clark a gift! [Linked Image] Do you like frozen waffles? (BTW, how in the world did Lois ever survive without Super delivery service? I mean, it's Christmas Eve and she hasn't gone Christmas grocery shopping and the Kents were suppose to visit?)

Lois took the box and examined the outside for a moment. Then she gave him a teasing grin. "What is this? A New Kryptonian rock that says 'My fiancé went to New Krypton and all I got was this lousy paperweight?'" she ribbed him.
lol He's not that much of a lunkhead.
CLARK: *moves gift behind his back and clears throat* No! Of course it isn't! Oh, my bad. This is Jimmy's gift.

(later) JIMMY: Um... Wow. Um... Thanks, CK. But this is the weirdest spelling of "friend" I've ever seen.

"Before Zara and I approached the Elders about dissolving our union, I used what power I had as their leader to make Ching a nobleman. I raised his status high enough to make his House a Ruling House. A minor one, to be sure, but it was enough."
CLARK: Well, Duh! Lois. He did kill Nor. Now that I think about it, he desecrated the man's body too. Maybe I was hasty on the whole knighthood thing. *shrugs* Too late now.

He shook his head. "One thing I've learned? The Kryptonians aren't my people. Maybe they were, once, before I was sent to Earth. But not anymore. The people of Earth are my people.
This is why many of the stories in other shows and films puzzle me so. Clark may have been born on Krypton, but having been raised on Earth, he's an Earthling as much as anyone born here. It never made any sense to me why he wanted to bond with Kryptonians. Or why in SM: The Movie he always associated himself more as a Kryptonian than as an Earthling. huh I'm glad they didn't go that route with MoS (even if he did bond too much with his hologram birth dad).

"I was thinking," Lois said after a moment. "All of this," she gestured vaguely, "has taught me something. I don't need the big wedding. I don't need all the...stuff...that goes along with it - all the things my mom's been harping on. The live doves, the bell ringers, the huge reception with the extended cocktail hour and the Viennese hour with seventeen different cakes. All that matters is that you and I start our life together, with a few close friends and our families there to witness our union. What do you think?"
hyper Yea! Wait. What? "Viennese hour with 17 different cakes"? Is this a thing?

"This is the best Christmas of my life," she sighed in contentment.
Awwww! What a nice bouquet of Christmas Waff, DC! clap

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi, Virginia! wave

Glad you enjoyed this. I actually began this one/always imagined it as just an introspection piece, of Lois missing Clark on Christmas. But when I actually started to really get into writing it, it just felt more natural (and a lot more uplifting!) to continue on past the introspection to Clark's arrival home.

How sad it was for her that there on Christmas Eve, she was once again alone, due to the fact that the Kents were snowed in (or at least the planes were).

Well, Lois is snowed in. Not so much the Kents. wink

I love this tradition! What great neighbors! I truly hoped that Clark had left a gift for Steve to deliver to Lois. However, she wasn't the only one surprised by who she found on the other side of that door.

One of the people in my neighborhood where I grew up did this. Anyone who wanted Santa to visit their kids on Christmas Eve would let him know and slip him a gift (and sometimes a beer!). It was pretty cool, because it meant that Santa was always there without Dad or Grandpa or whoever going MIA during the visit.

I considered having Steve deliver Clark to Lois. But it just seemed weird in my head.

Then, I thought that Clark had hired the Superman impersonator to visit Lois as Clark (although, then I thought, why would he do that?)

Ouch! That would be a little cruel, sending a fake Clark.

LOIS: Oh, crap! I forgot to get Clark a gift! Do you like frozen waffles? (BTW, how in the world did Lois ever survive without Super delivery service? I mean, it's Christmas Eve and she hasn't gone Christmas grocery shopping and the Kents were suppose to visit?)

I wanted Lois to be concerned about giving Clark his gift(s) - that she'd bought things just in case - but it didn't work with the flow. And Lois probably does have food in their for the Kents, just nothing she's in the mood to eat. Or, she was banking on delivery that got cancelled due to snow. wink

He's not that much of a lunkhead.
CLARK: *moves gift behind his back and clears throat* No! Of course it isn't! Oh, my bad. This is Jimmy's gift.

(later) JIMMY: Um... Wow. Um... Thanks, CK. But this is the weirdest spelling of "friend" I've ever seen.

rotflol

This is why many of the stories in other shows and films puzzle me so. Clark may have been born on Krypton, but having been raised on Earth, he's an Earthling as much as anyone born here. It never made any sense to me why he wanted to bond with Kryptonians. Or why in SM: The Movie he always associated himself more as a Kryptonian than as an Earthling. huh I'm glad they didn't go that route with MoS (even if he did bond too much with his hologram birth dad).

That's always been my problem too. There simply is NO reason for Clark to ever be more "in tune" with his Kryptonian heritage. Or for Superman to ever be the "real" personality, with Clark as the cover. Which is why I adore L&C so much. They really got things right.

Yea! Wait. What? "Viennese hour with 17 different cakes"? Is this a thing?

Probably. My Viennese hour had a ton of food. Including a candy cart that the adults attacked like little children. I've never seen cotton candy be that popular before...or candy buttons!

Awwww! What a nice bouquet of Christmas Waff, DC!

Thank you! I'm so glad my post-Easter Christmas fic was enjoyable! smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
What a lovely belated Christmas present from DC dance! Thank you!

This was completely wonderful. Give me WAFF and I am a very happy camper grin. From the first few paragraphs in I was really hoping for Clark to return. Come back to Lois. For them to become engaged. I kept hoping, fingers crossed, and DC, you totally delivered sloppy.

'L&C' was my first glimpse into the story of Superman. Prior had never read a comic, seen a movie, or watched a show--literally knew nothing about the characters. So I was completely spoiled into how GREAT of a set-up 'L&C' was/is notworthy. Clark being Clark--it made sense! Superman--it was a costume, a guise to get things done. Lois and Clark work together, get partnered up, becoming friends and then best friends, fall in love, e-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-l-y (what a drawn out ARGH!) get married.

I fell so hard and so thoroughly for the show, this 'story' in my mind was the cemented way that it all played out thumbsup.

Hence...I tried the old Superman movies and just couldn't really get 'there' with them. Same with SR when it came out. I've never seen MOS (based on my reaction to the other movies) or it's sequel. Never have gotten into the comics. Tried a bit of Smallville, but didn't become hooked. Haven't watched Supergirl (but I've been DVR'ing them in case wink ).

For me, the story of 'Superman' is, I think, forever 'L&C'.

Lovely, DC! Really enjoyed this!
Laura (who is having sudden urges to pull out and decorate the Christmas tree smile )

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by LMA
What a lovely belated Christmas present from DC dance! Thank you!

This was completely wonderful. Give me WAFF and I am a very happy camper grin. From the first few paragraphs in I was really hoping for Clark to return. Come back to Lois. For them to become engaged. I kept hoping, fingers crossed, and DC, you totally delivered sloppy.

'L&C' was my first glimpse into the story of Superman. Prior had never read a comic, seen a movie, or watched a show--literally knew nothing about the characters. So I was completely spoiled into how GREAT of a set-up 'L&C' was/is notworthy. Clark being Clark--it made sense! Superman--it was a costume, a guise to get things done. Lois and Clark work together, get partnered up, becoming friends and then best friends, fall in love, e-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-l-y (what a drawn out ARGH!) get married.

I fell so hard and so thoroughly for the show, this 'story' in my mind was the cemented way that it all played out thumbsup.

Hence...I tried the old Superman movies and just couldn't really get 'there' with them. Same with SR when it came out. I've never seen MOS (based on my reaction to the other movies) or it's sequel. Never have gotten into the comics. Tried a bit of Smallville, but didn't become hooked. Haven't watched Supergirl (but I've been DVR'ing them in case wink ).

For me, the story of 'Superman' is, I think, forever 'L&C'.

Lovely, DC! Really enjoyed this!
Laura (who is having sudden urges to pull out and decorate the Christmas tree smile )

Hi, Laura!

Thanks for reading. I wasn't sure anyone would want a bit of Christmas fluff in April. grin

L&C was my second glimpse of the Superman universe. I'd seen Superman: The Movie and Superman II as a kid. ALL of my childhood Superman exposures were thanks to my dad. He'd be watching them and I'd watch along with him. (Actually, I thank him for getting me into my two favorite shows ever - L&C and Xena: Warrior Princess! Of course, once I got into the shows he really didn't watch them much - he was never a fan, just a casual viewer that stopped in for an episode when nothing else was on.)

I hated SR (Clark fathering a child that he lets someone else raise, too young of a cast, horrible story - but I did love Lex Luthor in it). I hated MOS too - again, not enough Clark, not enough of a real person there, hated the casting on Lois, loathed the idea of Superman breaking Zod's neck. And I wasn't thrilled with Bats v Supes either, due to it being SO flawed, but it was worlds better than MOS. I've never read any of the comics.

Anyway, thanks again for reading. I'm also having some Christmas-longing - but I'm definitely longing for summer more!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Kerth
Kerth
Enjoyable Christmas story, even if it has been nearly 90 degrees here this week. wink The melancholy mood is appropriate to Lois, who never cared for the holiday anyway. It would be doubly hard in this situation. I always imagined Lois would also hold a small piece of resentment and anger too, that Clark would leave her to go fight for people he's never known. Sure, he expressed his reasons, and she tearfully supported him, but it's hard to be totally magnanimous when you're in pain. And then she'd castigate herself for harboring those negative emotions. Good thing he came back relatively quickly! It certainly made for the perfect Christmas present...WAFFy sigh. clap thumbsup

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by groobie
Enjoyable Christmas story, even if it has been nearly 90 degrees here this week. wink The melancholy mood is appropriate to Lois, who never cared for the holiday anyway. It would be doubly hard in this situation. I always imagined Lois would also hold a small piece of resentment and anger too, that Clark would leave her to go fight for people he's never known. Sure, he expressed his reasons, and she tearfully supported him, but it's hard to be totally magnanimous when you're in pain. And then she'd castigate herself for harboring those negative emotions. Good thing he came back relatively quickly! It certainly made for the perfect Christmas present...WAFFy sigh. clap thumbsup

Hope the Christmas story helped you to think cool thoughts. Glad you enjoyed it.

I think you're right. Lois *would* harbor some anger and resentment - to herself and the NKers too. I think Clark would be the one she might resent the least. She supported his decision to go, when she really did have the right to tell him that she would have preferred for him to stay home. And she'd be mad with the NKers for disrupting her and Clark's lives - that they had no right to ask Clark to sacrifice so much for people who a) he doesn't know and b) who don't fully trust him. (I'm looking at you, Ching and all your "tests," even if I understand where you were coming from.)

I think you're also right in that she would fee guilty for having those thoughts. Clark really did change her that way, didn't he? (The old Lois wouldn't have cared who knew she resented them.)

I think the new and (much) improved Lois would also hate the fact that her first truly happy Christmas in a long time has morphed into the worst one of her life. At least, the worst until Clark comes home. wink

Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Features Writer
Features Writer
Delightful story!

I think Christmas in April is a great idea! dance
Nice therapy for tax month in the US!

What a wonderful WAFFY story showing how much love has changed Lois. Love it! clap

Last edited by cuidadora; 04/26/16 09:04 AM.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by cuidadora
Delightful story!

I think Christmas in April is a great idea! dance
Nice therapy for tax month in the US!

What a wonderful WAFFY story showing how much love has changed Lois. Love it! clap

Thank you! Never too early/late for a Christmas story, right? (As evidenced by the nighty demand for me to read a Christmas board book by my two and a half year olds.) Glad I could provide a little break from the reality of taxes. smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard