Volcano Island: Epilogue
by Nancy Smith and Linda Garrick

Epilogue

Five weeks later:

Wayne Gallagher strode briskly down the corridor on the officers’ deck toward the Strike Commander’s quarters. He had just returned from the most enjoyable and instructive four-week leave of his life.

The door opened as he approached and Greg Smythe emerged. He met the doctor’s gaze and smiled blandly. “Welcome back, Dr. Gallagher. Did you enjoy your leave?”

“Very much, Greg. Thank you.” Gallagher stared at the little man with a touch of awe. Colonel Gregory Smythe was his new Commanding Officer, as well as Thoroski’s, now, a totally unimpressive figure, and the hub of the Underground cell on the battlecruiser. Terran psychics! No wonder the Jils feared them!

He entered Thoroski’s quarters and his Strike Commander turned toward him. He was apparently off duty, for his helmet and boots lay on the deck and he held a brimming drink in one hand.

“Hi, Wayne! Good vacation?”

“The best I’ve ever had, sir. The weather was great and the natives were friendly.”

“Did you happen to see Lyla while you were there?”

Gallagher nodded. “I had dinner with her just before I left. She’s looking forward to your leave in two months. She sent this along for you.” He reached into his belt pouch and removed a sealed missive.

Thoroski took it and tucked it into his own pouch for later perusal, Gallagher knew. “Thanks.”

Greg Smythe materialized from the door to the valet’s quarters, a second drink in his hand. He presented it to Gallagher.

Gallagher took it. “Thanks.”

The valet inclined his head with a little smile and silently withdrew. Gallagher sipped the drink with appreciation. “Terrific valet you have there, sir.”

“He’s the best.”

Gallagher sank down in the Strike Commander’s armchair and stretched his long legs. “I have some other news, sir.”

“Oh?”

“You remember what Shelly said back there? About me returning to the ship?”

“Yeah.”

“She was right.”

“Right about what?”

“They found a lot of information in the records,” Gallagher said with a small smile. “Training techniques. You’re not the only one, anymore.”

Thoroski sat up straight. “Selective shielding?”

Gallagher nodded. “They’re training people as fast as they can,” he said. “Our mutual friend cleared me just before I left.”

Thoroski gave a soundless whistle. “I guess it was worth it, then. Welcome to the club, Doc.”

Gallagher nodded. “It’ll have pretty wide membership, soon.” He grinned and finished his drink. Smythe appeared again as though by magic. “Another, sir?”

“No.” Gallagher shook his head. “How about some coffee?”

Smythe poured a cup and presented it to him, with cream and sugar just the way he liked it. He sipped appreciatively. “Thanks.”

“My pleasure, sir.” Greg smiled enigmatically and withdrew once more. Thoroski raised his glass.

“Welcome home, Doc. It's good to have you back."

The End

Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.