Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#269462 03/20/16 08:19 PM
AnnieL Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
After watching the series for the fourth time, I've finally decided to try to understand Lois. There are a thousand things I love about her character, but many more that I have trouble understanding.

Lois finds herself attracted to Alt. Clark to the point where she nearly cheats on her Clark twice. Was this because she was projecting her feelings for Clark onto his alternate self, or has a part of her fallen in love with him? In the case of the latter, I feel it cheapens her relationship with her Clark because she would have another to fall back on.

In Target: Jimmy Olsen, Lois dumps Clark for Scardino. I'm on the verge of thinking this to be cruel, since she tells him she has been seeing Clark, but would it be less so because she had only been on a few dates and weren't steady? Had this disrespect on Clark's part happened after she and Clark were married, would Lois have done something similar, or would her marital commitment and calmer personality allow her to work it out with Clark?

In the Foundling, Lois places her reasons for being exempt from lying on being from Metropolis; Clark cannot lie because he's from Kansas. I'd always assumed she only held Clark to these standards since he was the "last honest man," and that this was only an excuse. What do you think of the double standard there?

Lois of the fourth season seems a lot calmer and slightly more level-headed than in previous seasons. However, she and Clark are told they cannot adopt a child because she gets herself in danger so often. While part of it is just the risks of being a reporter, does she have a point about Lois's recklessness?

Do you think it's possible that Lois was repressing her memories of living Clark with Dr. Deter because all the trauma concerning their trying to move forward a a couple? The wedding fiasco might have sent her over the edge, which would explain her fugue state (scientifically, of course, since it sounds like the real life condition is triggered by emotional trauma).

"I really do believe that we're all put here on this earth, or whatever planet we're put on, to do better than we think we can. To be kind, helpful, generous, and forgiving."
"You know something, CK? She's a class act."
"I've always thought so."
Features Writer
Features Writer
Hi Annie,

Welcome to the boards! wave

You raise some interesting questions. Here's my personal take on them, and someone else may have a different explanation. One thing to consider is that during the series the producers and writers changed, and there was reportedly a lot of input by executives. Which by the time the final episodes were made, may have led to more inconsistencies. And some things may just defy logical explanation.

Lois finds herself attracted to Alt. Clark to the point where she nearly cheats on her Clark twice. Was this because she was projecting her feelings for Clark onto his alternate self, or has a part of her fallen in love with him? In the case of the latter, I feel it cheapens her relationship with her Clark because she would have another to fall back on.

I think this was Lois missing Clark so much and was drawn to alt-Clark. It may have had something to do with the soul mates issue, or maybe it's a Kryptonian connection. I'm not at all sure it can be explained in the universe we live in, and may be part of living in a universe where a man can fly without a plane. laugh

In Target: Jimmy Olsen, Lois dumps Clark for Scardino. I'm on the verge of thinking this to be cruel, since she tells him she has been seeing Clark, but would it be less so because she had only been on a few dates and weren't steady? Had this disrespect on Clark's part happened after she and Clark were married, would Lois have done something similar, or would her marital commitment and calmer personality allow her to work it out with Clark?

If Scardino appeared after Lois and Clark were married, she would have reacted differently. A lot of what happened here was due to her frustrations at Clark running off when she wanted to talk, her interpretation that he had intimacy issues and his inability to explain his absences. After she knew his secret those issues go away. Scardino could have been an alternative to the Irish boyfriend after Clark broke up with Lois in Season 3. If Lois and Clark were separated she might possibly be attracted to someone else. Otherwise I think she'd make sure he knows she's off limits.

In the Foundling, Lois places her reasons for being exempt from lying on being from Metropolis; Clark cannot lie because he's from Kansas. I'd always assumed she only held Clark to these standards since he was the "last honest man," and that this was only an excuse. What do you think of the double standard there?

She has serious trust issues from her experiences with Claude, Sam Lane and Paul (and probably others). I think she's looking for someone who will never lie to her. She also got upset with Superman in Bolt From the Blue when she learned he either lied or hadn't told her that his powers could be transferred. While holding him to a different standard is ridiculous and unfair on one level, on another it's reasonable to expect it because he is Superman and he holds himself to a higher standard. She learns through the series to trust Clark, even if the evidence says something else. She finally gets it in Chip Off the Old Clark after first doubting him and telling him she can't believe him, then accepting he's telling her the truth.

Lois of the fourth season seems a lot calmer and slightly more level-headed than in previous seasons. However, she and Clark are told they cannot adopt a child because she gets herself in danger so often. While part of it is just the risks of being a reporter, does she have a point about Lois's recklessness?

I think she does. Even if Lois is more stable in Season 4, that's been going on for how many months? 6? 9? The adoption personnel have an obligation to find loving stable homes, and not put the child in a potentially dangerous position. It would have been kinder to offer them the option of reapplying after a certain length of time. But many bureaucrats don't look at it that way. The outright denial may be a way to weed out those prospective parents who really aren't interested in making major changes for the child's safety. Or maybe in applying more than once.

Do you think it's possible that Lois was repressing her memories of living Clark with Dr. Deter because all the trauma concerning their trying to move forward a a couple? The wedding fiasco might have sent her over the edge, which would explain her fugue state (scientifically, of course, since it sounds like the real life condition is triggered by emotional trauma).

Yes, it's possible. A fugue state is the most realistic explanation I've seen in a while. I think it was more a matter of Hollywood using the knock on the head causing global amnesia, which is not clinically accurate but neither are some other things that happen on TV and in movies. That with the combination of whatever Lex did to her to cause her to become Wanda, followed by the treatment causing her to become an assassin for Dr. Mendenhall (?shock therapy, ?drugs), then Dr. Deter's treatments (?hypnosis ?drugs) would have also contributed. And in real life Lois probably would have needed treatment for a long time to recover.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Welcome to the boards, Annie!

Originally Posted by AnnieL
After watching the series for the fourth time, I've finally decided to try to understand Lois. There are a thousand things I love about her character, but many more that I have trouble understanding.
This is the great thing about fan-fiction, trying to make better sense of the characters and their motivations.

Both options have been explored in fanfiction. I, personally, think it's a mixture of the two. She both attracted to Alt-Clark because in many ways he's like her Clark and she also misses her Clark a lot. Any relationship between Lois and Alt-Clark would be heavily burdened by Lois's guilt for cheating on her Clark and her hope of getting back to /rescuing her Clark.

Does Lois dump Clark or just explore her dating options? She and Clark have only been on a few dates and aren't exclusive (no matter how much Clark sees them as such). Clark repeatedly isn't there for her and Dan (schmuck that he is) uses this to his advantage. I doubt Lois would have done this to Clark, knowing the truth, and especially after marriage when their relationship has been formalized.

There's totally a double-standard at play here. lol Lois excuse is that she's from the city and raised with bad morals, therefore she's excused from lying. Clark, on the other hand, is a good-ol' country boy, with good parents, and is basically honest. Therefore, it goes against his personality to lie (little does she know). Even Perry doesn't want to touch that one with a "10 foot pole". lol

I can't see this as being a reasonable exception from adoption or they wouldn't let soldiers or emergency personnel adopt either. I think the show writers were just trying to make it so the characters had no options going forward. For some reason (unexplained), Martha and Jonathan weren't able to adopt children either. huh Why not?

Totally! Lois's amnesia has also been explored by many a fan-fic writer (as well as Clark's). Technically, her amnesia is more of a plot-device than anything based in reality. You'll notice that the treatment for her amnesia is the opposite (lock her away) of what was prescribed for Clark during All Shook Up (put him in familiar setting with familiar people). You'd think someone from the Planet (i.e. Perry) would have remembered this and raised a red flag instead of gone along with her recommended treatment.

You bring up some great points! Feel free to bring more of your insight to discussions and story feedback.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
You'll notice that the treatment for her amnesia is the opposite (lock her away) of what was prescribed for Clark during All Shook Up (put him in familiar setting with familiar people). You'd think someone from the Planet (i.e. Perry) would have remembered this and raised a red flag instead of gone along with her recommended treatment.

Good point. I understand why Clark didn't (he was too close to both situations), but why didn't Perry or Jimmy think of it?

AnnieL Offline OP
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
Originally Posted by Suggs_With_A_Box
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
You'll notice that the treatment for her amnesia is the opposite (lock her away) of what was prescribed for Clark during All Shook Up (put him in familiar setting with familiar people). You'd think someone from the Planet (i.e. Perry) would have remembered this and raised a red flag instead of gone along with her recommended treatment.

Good point. I understand why Clark didn't (he was too close to both situations), but why didn't Perry or Jimmy think of it?

I always figured it was because Dr.Deter was supposed to be the best in Metropolis, so they figured he knew what he was doing. I figured his method was an alternate one that was supposed to have a higher success rate. Perry and Jimmy also couldn't be around Lois, so only Clark knew how Deter was acting - which, unfortunately, lost him a lot of credibility because of how close he was to the issue.

Now that I think about it, it does seem like a large part of the adoption issue was due to Lois being a "thrill addict" trying to get Superman's attention. Adoption in the US can be a lengthy and difficult situation, and I can see the concern with her recklessness.

However, a large portion of her life or death situations aren't in Lois's control, especially at this point, with her Superman connection and all the criminals she's put away. That makes sense to me, but I do understand that her past overly reckless behavior doesn't help the situation. For that reason, I agree that they were probably just trying to weed people out. I do think they could have gotten themselves more consideration had they chosen to fight for it.

It's the possible potential with Alt Clark that bothers me more than anything. What would happen if Clark died? Would Lois fall in love with him in time I don't think she would, but it feel like that would cheapen her relationship with her own Clark if she did.

Thanks for all your responses!

"I really do believe that we're all put here on this earth, or whatever planet we're put on, to do better than we think we can. To be kind, helpful, generous, and forgiving."
"You know something, CK? She's a class act."
"I've always thought so."
S
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
Suggs_With_A_Box
Unregistered
S
Thanks Annie. You answered that one for me really well.

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard