Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#269506 03/26/16 08:21 AM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Have you seen Batman v. Superman? Is it worth seeing in the theatre?

Also, I realize that by its very nature, there will be fight scenes in it, but did they go overboard in the amount of fight scenes? (I personally think that Man of Steel could have been greatly improved if they had cut out about two thirds of the fighting near the end of the movie.)

Please keep in mind that people reading this thread may not have seen the movie: Please make generous use of the spoiler tag. Thanks.

Joy,
Lynn

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hmmm, haven't seen it yet. But Anti-K says it was great!

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Just saw it -- was pleasantly surprised. There were the expected darker elements and shadowings of character, but it stayed generally true to the characters.

Semi-spoiler below, but nothing specific:
(I think there's a way to write in spoiler code, so it blacks it out, but I can't remember... Please feel free to tell me!)

The only thing I'll say is be prepared for an emotional rollercoaster if you have NOT read the comics. I left the theater relieved that I knew circumstances wouldn't stay as they had left it.

PS Wonder Woman was a badass bonus!!!

Last edited by mozartmaid; 03/26/16 03:51 PM.

Reach for the moon, for even if you fail, you'll still land among the stars... and who knows? Maybe you'll meet Superman along the way. wink
Top Banana
Top Banana
I saw it today, and it was awesome. I even liked Jesse Eisenberg's portrayal of Lex Luthor, in a large part because he reminded me of a former student of mine, with similar speech patterns and grandiose behavior (but I'm pretty sure my former student isn't evil, just aggravating).

I recognized quite a few of Batman's lines as being from The Dark Knight Returns, which is one of my all-time favorite books. I thought Ben Affleck was a good Batman and Bruce Wayne, in spite of the Internet geek rage that accompanied the news of his casting.

The trailers showed Doomsday, so I can mention that without spoiling anything, but the outcome

was straight out of The Death of Superman storyline, minus Superman's resurrection. That, I assume will come in a future film, since there are planned Justice League films with Superman in them.

The beginning of the film, where Bruce Wayne's building in Metropolis is destroyed in the battle between Superman and the other Kryptonians, looked like it was heavily inspired by 9/11.

There was one part I thought was really odd, though, and that was

the blood ritual Luthor performs to transform Zod into Doomsday. It just seemed out of place amongst all that high-tech stuff.

In conclusion, though, it's definitely worth seeing in the theater.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thanks for the use of the spoiler tags, Annie. I'll read what is inside them once I have seen the movie. And thanks to all who posted; I definitely will be seeing the movie now; I'm just not sure when I'll get the chance.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I saw BvS this afternoon. I'll start with the one non-spoiler thing I'd want to know, if I haven't seen this yet: There's no bonus scene at the end of the credits, so you don't need to stay for it.

BvS was pretty predictable up to a point if you saw the previews, then it veered into the unexpected. The surprise was refreshing as I was wondering how / why Batman and Superman were going to join forces against Lex Luthor.

They definitely tackled the idea of consequences to the battle in MoS. That was what most of the drama in the story was. In this respect, it was less an action movie than MoS.

Originally Posted by Annie B.
The trailers showed Doomsday, so I can mention that without spoiling anything, but the outcome
Actually, Annie, this was the unexpected aspect. I hadn't seen the same trailers as you, so I didn't know about this. I'm glad it was a surprise. It made it more interesting not knowing (hence, why I put it in spoiler mode) As soon as Lex introduced him as Doomsday, I went [Linked Image]. Are they finally going to have Superman defeat him without dying? Sadly, not. I do wish Lois didn't know and tell us that Superman was about to sacrifice himself. mecry

I must say that I liked how they portrayed Lois and Clark's relationship. It was sweet and romantic, showing how important they were to each other.

Ben Affleck did a good job with Batman. I liked his interpretation of the character. They didn't show him as the playboy type (per se), but more as a caring leader of Wayne Industries. The kind of man we wish was running big corporations. Was a bit surprised by Batman's use of lethal weapons, though, as I thought that went against his code. They also made Batman my age (which was surprising), and he'd been the Batman for at least 20 years.

The scene when Bruce was a child and he went into the bat cave for the first time was new and original and very metaphorical with the bats literally lifting him up into the light (i.e. saving him).

I'm not sure that I liked the aspect where Batman brands the people he captures. That was a bit on the creepy side.

I did like how Clark figured out how Bruce was Batman, by hearing Alfred talking to him through the earpiece at Luthor's party. thumbsup That was original and unexpected while at the same time making me say, "Duh!" clap

I LOVED how the Batmobile was able to withstand anything the bad guys threw at him but was practically totaled and limped home after bumping into Superman. lol Terrific!

The Batmobile was cool in a edgy sort of way. It wasn't sleek and stylish (like Michael Keaton's) but simple, rough, and tough.

Holly Hunter's character (the Senator against Superman) wasn't what I anticipated. *trying so hard to be vague.* Wonder Woman was aloof and showed Batman up, so I liked her. [Linked Image]

Lex Luthor did a good job of making us hate rich, power-hungry, spoiled brats more than some of us already do. Although, at times, I did wonder if he was possessed by the Joker. He certainly wasn't suave, like LnC's Luthor; he did creepy very well. One would hope that his portrayal would convince those with power in DC not to let themselves be bought by those with money, but I doubt it.

Bruce was dark, edgy, and full of revenge, due to his own failures (or inability) to save people. Despite Clark being full of melancholy by how his actions had hurt people (especially, during his battle with Zod), he was portrayed as full of love and a positive life force. All he wanted to do was help. He lived to make others (Lois's and Martha's) lives better. You can't help but love that guy!

I was a bit annoyed by Batman refusing to talk to Superman. Also, by Superman's reaction after Batman knocked him down the first time. Instead of brushing it off, and trying to talk to him again, he punched him. Yeah. You're sooooo going to get Batman to listen to you, if you're beating him to pulp. [Linked Image] I like that Clark figured out that Lex was playing them before Batman did. As a mom, I have to say that I loved that it was the heroes mutual love for their mothers that finally got them talking. Who'd have thunk Bats and Supes were just a couple of Mama's Boys?

Keep your eyes out: the credits show a "Jimmy Olsen" (Jenny's back as well), a "Lana", and a "Pete Ross", but I missed all three.

Overall, I liked it. Although, I have to say that the plot was pretty predictable after they set it up until Lex turned it on its ear. Liked the introduction to the Justice League members too. Can't wait to see the next film to see how they tie up all those dangling threads!

Last edited by VirginiaR; 03/27/16 02:17 AM. Reason: its vs. it's

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Cool. Thanks for the detailed review, Virginia. I'll wait to read your spoilers until after I see the movie.

Next question: Would the show lose a lot in the transition from the big screen to a television set? It is very difficult for me to get to the movie theatre (the next free time I'm likely to have will be mid-April, when my son is at an Easter Seals camp). I have pre-ordered the movie on Amazon so I can see it at home; would those of you who have seen it consider it worth using my extremely rare free time to see the movie in the cinema? The main reason I would see it in the theatre rather than wait would be if the visuals were absolutely phenomenal. (The only movies I have ever seen which I consider that much better on the big screen were the Hobbit and LoTR movies.)

Thanks,
Lynn

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Tahu told me Jimmy
was the photographer who was killed in the beginning
but I didn't see Lana or Pete either.

But I really liked the
scene with the ring
at the end.

I didn't have many expectations for this film, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Kathryn
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Kathryn84
Tahu told me Jimmy
was the photographer who was killed in the beginning
but I didn't see Lana or Pete either.
Gee I hope that character, Kathryn84, wasn't Jimmy. eek

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Virginia, I have found this concerning Jimmy. Spoiler me here

Last edited by Kathryn84; 03/28/16 11:00 AM. Reason: Link didn't work

Kathryn
Top Banana
Top Banana
Virginia, I have found this concerning Jimmy. Spoiler me here
The link doesn't work. Go in and remove the first http:// and the space and it will work.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

Top Banana
Top Banana
My niece is a big fan of DC superheroes and really wants to see this movie. Her mom told her no and her dad told her no, so she begged me to take her to see it.

Much to her dismay, I also said no (even though I added that she might be able to see it "in a few years"). I thought the movie was great, but definitely not appropriate for a 4-year-old.

Top Banana
Top Banana
I went to see BvS yesterday and I loved it. I freely admit to having a love/hate relationship with MoS. Most of the things I hate can be attributed to the director, though, and I can get past that and ratify/understand everything I hate. With it being the same director I knew there was a chance I could feel the same about this movie too, but I don't. I love it. As with every film it could be picked apart if you chose to. For example, certain plot points don't make sense, but there could be off-screen moments that explain them and they are not literally conflicting points. I hate it when people slate a film for things like that. I wish I could shout at them - "fill in the missing scenes with your imagination - the director doesn't have to tell us EVERYTHING."

Non-spoiler points:

I found the main plot-line and the gradual build up to the fight as believable. In my mind there were no sudden ‘out of character’ decisions by the main characters, although I have heard others say that the reason the ‘fight’ came to an end was sudden and not powerful enough to cause the reaction it did. I don’t agree.

The Clark/Lois relationship doesn’t get as much screen time as I would like, but I am a complete addict for Clark/Lois scenes. Still, the ones we get are fantastic. Their relationship has never been depicted in this way on the big screen before and I love it.

Teasing the future films. This was done seamlessly. For comic fans it was clear that they were teases for the coming films, but they were not ‘shoe-horned in’ to a plot that they didn’t fit into. It all made sense to me. It was great to see these other Justice League members, even if it was only for the few seconds screen time they got. The other big tease was not about other Superheroes, but about the big baddie that might be coming (for the Justice League movie I presume). But, this definitely falls into the spoiler category, so I will mention it below.

Casting:

Henry Cavill – well, they couldn’t exactly cast anyone else!! He is great. I love his deep sexy voice. His smile, whenever he looks at Lois, or his mother, is beautiful. He is a confident but quiet Clark Kent – just like our favourite Dean Cain, and there is no sign of a bumbling dork. His Superman is caring and strong, but also full of self-doubt (that I just want to wash away with a very long and intimate hug).

Amy Adams – She continues to play Lois as both gentle and yet driven. Her soft voice conceals a brave and determined heart for her career, and also for her man.

Ben Affleck – I was appalled at the thought of Ben Affleck as Batman when I heard – even though I actually love him as Daredevil – another film that everyone slates, but I love. But he is fantastic. My husband has even stated that Ben is now the best portrayal of Bruce he has ever seen and he is a Batman fan 1st and Superman fan 2nd. (I’m slowly working on that though, and have made GREAT progress).

Jeremy Irons – Great. He played Alfred as a loyal butler and friend, not afraid to share his opinion, or his sarcastic wit. I loved some of his droll one-liners.

Jesse Eisenberg – Lex is clearly mad and a genius, but there was no 'power' presence, or 'fear' presence that I felt coming from Jesse. I know that 'height' has nothing to do with how well a person can act (and he can clearly act extremely well), but in this case, he looked way too small - especially against Superman, and so I didn't feel that anyone would ever be intimidated by him. He was also missing the 'suave' feel that Lex is supposed to have been since the 80s and John Shea, followed by Michael Rosenbaum, played excellently. I guess I shouldn’t hang on to that, as actors, writers and directors are at liberty to change the portrayal of a character, but in this particular case I didn’t feel that it worked.

Gal Gadot – She is beautiful, and I love the slightly exotic accent. I believe this is the first time that Diana/Wonder Woman has been portrayed with a foreign accent, but I don’t understand why. Cleary she SHOULD have an exotic accent. Her role was small, but just big enough to have significance. She teased with Bruce especially well and her involvement in the climax was well played.

Scenes/scenery and directing:

I’m still not convinced of Zack Snyder as director. As I said before most of my problems with MoS I put down to the director’s choices to do things in a certain way, or not show certain things. There are not as many instances of this in BvS but I still find some of his directing choices, and the way he patches certain things together, to be jarring. His extreme close ups in MoS, which were meant to give the viewer the feeling of being right in the middle of the action – but just meant that the viewer missed seeing the whole scope of the scene/action, was still used but to a much lesser degree. The fight scenes were mostly viewed from an external perspective, so that the viewer could actually get an idea of the full scope of the action and the few close ups were just enough to bring me in to the scene emotionally rather than keep me as a passive outside viewer.

Conclusion:

I loved the film. Got to see it again the following day with my daughter and she loved it too. We have finally got to see a confrontation between the two major DC players. DC has given us this confrontation in many forms in the comics and the translation to big screen was not going to be easy. The general public (non-comic reading/non-superhero loving public) would never accept that these two men would fight under normal circumstances. They also tend to find superhero movies too unrealistic, especially if they skirt too close to ‘comic book’ story lines and ‘comic book’ suspension of disbelief. I believe that this film actually manages to tell a true ‘comic book’ story-line, on the big screen and does it believably.

In the end I only have two things I really don't like. One falls into the "off-screen things we don't see"/director choice category and cannot be covered in non-spoiler mode, and the other is the casting choice for Lex Luthor.

I am looking forward to the DVD, where I understand there is to be an extra 30 minutes, too. The future of this series, with all the other Justice League members and movies, is also looking very promising and I can see my DVD shelf being full of all these movies in the years to come. I’m only disappointed that it will take a decade to get there!

Spoiler points: I’m going to explain the two things I mentioned above, and also reply to some other spoilery comments by others.

Of the two things I didn’t like about the film, the one I couldn’t mention above is to with Lois and her emotions/feeling towards Clark. I have no problem believing that she loved him just as much as he loved her, but it never got shown. I take this as a directing mistake - off-screen action. It was most clear to me in the death scene, closely followed by the bedroom scene with the ring and the graveside scene. While she cried and shed some tears, she never 'broke down' as I would have expected - especially having seen the iconic comic picture and having read Death and Life of Superman many, many times.

The tease of the future villain I mentioned above was seen in the dream/vision of the future that Bruce had while decrypting Lex’s drive. There was an Omega symbol carved into the desert floor. There were also odd flying creatures in the dream. This, combined with the angels/demons painting on Lex’s wall, Lex’s ramblings about Gods, and of demons coming from above, lead me to believe that the baddie we will be seeing in the Justice League movie is Darkseid and Apokolips. Once I came to this conclusion I then also realised that the ‘fake wake-up’ in Bruce’s dream was another hint – with the man screaming his warning to Bruce clearly being in a boom-tube. This, and Lex’s mention of ‘them already hearing and coming’ at the end, led me to believe that Darkseid was the one doing ALL the manipulation from the start – including scaring/manipulation of/or using Lex to do the earthly manipulation of the two heroes.

the blood ritual Luthor performs to transform Zod into Doomsday. It just seemed out of place amongst all that high-tech stuff.
I disagree, personally. It wasn’t a ‘ritual’ in my mind – although it would give a counterpoint between spiritual and technological. Lex didn’t say any ritualistic words, he was just gloating at winning, and then he introduced foreign DNA into the chamber – a chemical/biological reaction – definitely a scientific process.

Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Are they finally going to have Superman defeat him without dying? Sadly, not. I do wish Lois didn't know and tell us that Superman was about to sacrifice himself. mecry
I was pretty sure I knew how the film would end once I knew that Doomsday was in it. Especially as the major part of the film was to be the conflict between Batman and Superman, so there was no way that he could be introduced early enough to mean that Clark could die then come back to life in the same movie. There was a small part of me that wondered whether it would be a live victory for Superman, but if they had done that then the fans would have seen the film as a cop-out/being too scared to do what the comics dared to do two decades ago. I thought it was a lovely nod to the comics to have Clark tell Lois that he loved her before going off to face Doomsday with the spear, but I would have loved it even more if they had used the famous EXACT line. It wouldn’t have taken much of a dialogue change. “Remember, Lois ... no matter what happens ... I will always love you.”

Was a bit surprised by Batman's use of lethal weapons, though, as I thought that went against his code. They also made Batman my age (which was surprising), and he'd been the Batman for at least 20 years.

I'm not sure that I liked the aspect where Batman brands the people he captures. That was a bit on the creepy side.
My hubby pointed out that the message sprayed on the robin outfit is the exact message that Joker sprayed in a particular version of Batman, after he had killed EVERYONE Bruce knew, and then Bruce had actually killed the Joker. It’s possible that Bruce is dealing with a lot of darkness and hurt that we don’t know about as we haven’t seen his full story. The mansion is also burned out and he lives in a lakeside apartment on the grounds. I would love to know the whole story of how Bruce got to this place. It’s almost Christopher Nolan’s trilogy, but not!!

I did like how Clark figured out how Bruce was Batman, by hearing Alfred talking to him through the earpiece at Luthor's party. thumbsup That was original and unexpected while at the same time making me say, "Duh!" clap
Clark calls Batman ’Bruce’ in their fight but it is not made clear when Clark realised or worked it out. It could have been at the party when he hears Alfred’s instructions to Bruce, my husband thinks this. But I think that – at the time – Clark would have no reason to connect him to Batman, but rather to industrial espionage. Possibly Bruce is trying to steal some secrets from a rival company. Looking retrospectively at the incident it may have then helped him to figure it out. OR maybe he just x-rayed Batman’s helmet. It’s not made clear. It’s also not made clear how Lex figured out that Superman was Clark. We can make a reasonable guess that he is intelligent enough to figure it out like Lois did, or there could be plenty of other explanations, we are just not given them. I also suspect that Lex knew Bruce was Batman. Watching the scene with all three of them, at the Library do – when Lex says “Clark Kent meets Bruce Wayne”, had a whole different significance the second time around, and adds even more to the ‘Lex is manipulating them both’ plotline.

Keep your eyes out: the credits show a "Jimmy Olsen" (Jenny's back as well), a "Lana", and a "Pete Ross", but I missed all three.
Didn’t see that!!! I wondered if the cameraman at the beginning was Jimmy, but then he was revealed as too old and too accomplished and clearly a government operative – plus he gets shot in the head. I then took my eldest daughter to see it and I became convinced that it was the guy stood with Clark on the red carpet when Bruce gets out of his car to go to Lex Luthor’s Library thing. Nope, turns out it WAS the guy at the beginning. frown

Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Would the show lose a lot in the transition from the big screen to a television set? It is very difficult for me to get to the movie theatre (the next free time I'm likely to have will be mid-April, when my son is at an Easter Seals camp). I have pre-ordered the movie on Amazon so I can see it at home; would those of you who have seen it consider it worth using my extremely rare free time to see the movie in the cinema? The main reason I would see it in the theatre rather than wait would be if the visuals were absolutely phenomenal. (The only movies I have ever seen which I consider that much better on the big screen were the Hobbit and LoTR movies.)
There are some spectacular scenes and effects shots, but nothing like the vistas and epic scenes of LoTR. If your time really is so very precious then you do have to choose carefully. In my opinion it is a fantastic movie but you would have to check on the movie listings to come over the next few months to see if you considered anything else more likely to have that ‘wow’ factor.

But I really liked the scene with the ring at the end.
I loved this. It’s also great that the ring actually looks exactly like the engagement ring from the comics. I love that Lois chose to put the ring on, accepting the proposal that Clark never got to give. I hope that when Clark returns (which I’m sure he will) that he will get the chance to propose properly, though.

Gosh, that was long. Probably the first time I have fully tried to review a movie, too, rather than just give general comments and thoughts.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
[Linked Image] THAT was Jimmy? Glad his character will be addressed more fully on the 30 minutes of extra footage on the DVD.
THIS article talks about the idea behind making Jimmy a CIA operative (or is it agent?). It harkins back to the comic: Superman: Red Son.

Just out of curiosity, how do you consider the same actor for the characters Jimmy Olsen and Lex Luthor? [Linked Image] Although, I get the joke behind casting a huge actor to play Jimmy Olsen and then killing him off 5 minutes later. That would've been cool. Yes, my sense of humor can be that dark. Might've have been fun (albeit confusing) if Synder had kept Eisenberg as Jimmy and Lex. They could've been doppelgangers or just shown Eisenberg's versatility that he could play both characters in the same film. However, it would've been too distracting from Superman and we already had Bats doing that, so probably good that he didn't.

VirginiaR.
---
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thanks to all who have been giving their thoughts and opinions. And thanks for hiding the spoilers.

I had been hoping to see the movie in April when my son was going to go to an Easter Seals camp. Unfortunately, I just received notice that camp has been canceled for that weekend. So I guess I'll have to wait until the movie is available in streaming form. Bummer: frown I've already pre-ordered it from Amazon.

Now to see if I can continue to remain relatively spoiler-free for another few months...

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
Just realised that part of my post in the spoiler section shouldn't have been in the spoiler section.

Originally Posted by KatherineKent
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Would the show lose a lot in the transition from the big screen to a television set? It is very difficult for me to get to the movie theatre (the next free time I'm likely to have will be mid-April, when my son is at an Easter Seals camp). I have pre-ordered the movie on Amazon so I can see it at home; would those of you who have seen it consider it worth using my extremely rare free time to see the movie in the cinema? The main reason I would see it in the theatre rather than wait would be if the visuals were absolutely phenomenal. (The only movies I have ever seen which I consider that much better on the big screen were the Hobbit and LoTR movies.)
There are some spectacular scenes and effects shots, but nothing like the vistas and epic scenes of LoTR. If your time really is so very precious then you do have to choose carefully. In my opinion it is a fantastic movie but you would have to check on the movie listings to come over the next few months to see if you considered anything else more likely to have that ‘wow’ factor.

Sorry to hear that the camp has been cancelled Lynn. I hope that you still find some way to have a little time for yourself soon, and also a little special/different attention for your son, too.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Victoria,

Thanks for the good wishes. Unfortunately, the next camp won't be until August, and that is a day camp run by a different charity and specifically targets kids with severe autism. The good(?) news is that I am at least getting something of a break since I am on short term disability at least through the end of this week. (I feel fine, but I get winded and tired extremely easily as an aftermath of having had bronchitis; the infection has passed but the inflammation lingers. I had tried returning to work but lacked the stamina to be at work full time, and the policy is all-or-nothing; they don't allow one to return to work part time.)

I'm glad to hear that I won't be missing *too* much by waiting to see the movie on a small screen. I would imagine that by late June -- when I'll next have free time in which to go to a movie -- Batman v. Superman will have left even the second-run theatres.

Joy,
Lynn

F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Folks,

I am delighted to hear good things about the movie from a group of people whose opinions I can trust.

Based on the trailers I had planned on waiting for it to hit Redbox in a few months, now I will pencil it in sometime soon.

Thanks much

Framework4
Kerth
Kerth
Hiya folcs!

I've been so underwater with work recently, but I saw the movie and I wanted to hop back on here and see what everybody else thought. Glad to see so many positive reviews (in spite of critical reviews). I went in with semi-low expectations and ended up pretty genuinely impressed by the end.

I'm not going to lie, though. At first, I was fairly disappointed by the first hour-ish of the movie. I get why a lot of critics are saying it felt like they were watching two different movies, but I also understand why. There's a lot of exposition (A LOT) that I guess needed addressed but it felt like it took too much time. I also think they used too many dream sequences (fyi, I hate dream sequences). But after watching the whole film I got to thinking about it and I can accept the dream sequences under this potential little clause:

The dream sequences were NOT in fact dream sequences!! I mean, yeah, the one where the blood is coming out of Batfleck's mom's grave, sure. But the dream with the crazy evil Superman army and then the outer dream sequence where a red-masked character who seems to be coming through a lightning-esque portal? Definitely seems like the Flash to me. Who we know can time travel. And shouting a warning about an evil Superman? I'm telling you. They're building to something. This is not just your average dream sequence. I don't know if they're gonna go in an Earth 2 direction or maybe an Injustice direction, but there's definitely more than meets the eye here.
And that certainly makes me more at peace with their usage.

Yeah, there were some lines I found cheesy, but who cares. I wish we could have seen a little bit more of Lois/Clark interactions, and also a lot more Clark/Bruce interactions. Wonder Woman kicked some serious butt and I've never been happier about that. dance She's my absolute new favorite character.
I'm also secretly hoping Diana and Bruce become a thing. You know, like the cartoons. hyper

The second half of the movie got exponentially better, and reversed my worries from the whole first half.. The rest of my thoughts will be in spoilers below:
I loved the Batman/Superman fight scene. I think it was well done and it was a great amount of action. I think Lex's setup made the whole thing all the more plausible, especially with him know both of their secret identities. I laughed a little at the "Martha" line that ended the fight, just because it was so out of the blue, but I think it was pretty good still. I still hate Amy Adams as Lois, but otherwise I thought everybody else was great casting. I totally forgot that Doomsday was going to be in the movie, and I'm still shocked they actually committed and killed him off. At first I thought when they blew them up in outer space and Superman didn't come back that they were going to pretend that was their little homage to Superman's death, but they sure got me there. Was wonderfully well done. We'll have to see what happens next, but I'm officially back on board the DC movie train.

And that's my two cents. Or maybe fifty cents. I wrote a lot, but I miss you guys. peep sloppy

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Kerth
Kerth
Also, just went hunting in search of some evidence to support my first Spoiler section, and found this maybe-not-so-official source: Spoilers be here

And one more thing:
When Lex Luthor first started making Doomsday, my brother swore it was going to be NuclearMan. lol If only. [Linked Image]

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Mouserocks, I hope you completely wrong about the direction they're planning on taking the DC heroes in the future films. I personally wouldn't want it to go there.

VirginiaR.
---
Top Banana
Top Banana
I saw the movie a second time yesterday. I noticed a few things I hadn't seen the first time, such as:

1. Jenny doing a double take when Perry is chewing Clark out about his interest in Batman and telling him that no one cares about Clark Kent vs. Batman. I think Jenny knows that CK=SM.

2. The dirt on Clark's coffin starting to levitate. Those of us familiar with the Death of Superman storyline know what the outcome is, but it's a clue for those who aren't familiar with the story.

A couple of students were discussing the movie this morning. The boy said he'd heard it was bad, and he didn't plan on seeing it. The girl thought it was awesome, and went "See?!" when I agreed with her.

She also said she cried at the end, so I'm thinking she's not familiar with the original storyline. Something tells me I need to add the collected editions of The Death of Superman to the library collection.

One thing that I find odd is that there doesn't seem to be any novelization of the film -- not an adult novel, not a junior novel, and not a comic book adaptation. I checked Amazon, but there just doesn't seem to be one.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Annie B.
One thing that I find odd is that there doesn't seem to be any novelization of the film -- not an adult novel, not a junior novel, and not a comic book adaptation. I checked Amazon, but there just doesn't seem to be one.
They're usually so horrible that this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Strangely, the people one would expect to be crying at the end of this film (Superman fans) are the ones who aren't, because they've either read or know about the comic history. Today's teens were how old, when they killed off Superman? Wait, 90s, so not even alive yet. They might not be familiar with the history. Explains how he was able to get away with it.

Also (a TOTAL aside), what a cool librarian you are, Annie. My kids have checked out every graphic novel at the local library, I had to show them where the adult section was (and why they couldn't rent Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, and some other titles, they're not old enough to read). My high school library would never have had graphic novels. Then again, the more I'm learning about other schools, the more I'm realizing how bad mine actually was. Sigh. Live and learn.

VirginiaR.
---
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Thanks again to all who provided answers to my initial post. I have now finally seen the theatrical release of the movie. Although I did enjoy it, I'm glad I waited until my summer vacation to see it.

I thought it much better than MoS overall; it had far more plot to it and although I think they could have done without some of the fighting, at least they didn't have a stretch that was so long I kept looking at my watch to see when it would end. (Yes, MoS, I'm looking at you.)

I think everything else I wanted to add is in the realm of spoilers, so...

I've a variety of stray thoughts, in no particular order:

• I'm glad we saw some Clark Kent as well as Superman
  • Although they kept Clark mostly in character, there were a few things that didn't ring true to me; the one that stands out in my mind most was his statement to Lois that (paraphrasing), "I am going to talk with Batman and try to convince him to help me. If he doesn't I'll have to kill him." Although Superman has admittedly deliberately killed before, it has almost always been under circumstances in which he believed that doing so was the only way to save pretty much all of humanity. (At least, this is true of Superman in modern times. I realize that Golden Age Superman killed the bad guys -- or at least let them die when he could have prevented their deaths -- on a regular basis.) I'll admit that Lex had put him in a difficult situation, and if it were pretty much any other superhero, his response might have been in character. But I can't see a modern Superman taking one person's life to save one other person's; he'd manage to find a way to save his mother without killing Batman. But I am glad that his actions, if not his words, were true to character...
  • ... unlike Martha. How did this Clark get to be so good given the parents who raised him? Their counsel to him in both movies should have done very little to guide him in the path he took.
  • I had problems with Clark doubting his actions, but it took me a while to figure out why. I didn't mind his questioning whether he should be Superman, but what bothered me was the reasons for his questioning. To borrow a phrase I heard from a podcast, Superman always tries to do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. To me, it's entirely in character for Clark to second-guess whether a particular course of actions is the right one (for the greater good), but it is not in character for him to waiver about whether he should even bother doing what he believes to be right. (Then again, given the parental advice this particular Clark had received throughout his life, it does seem in character for *this* Clark. I guess this criticism could therefore be seen as an elaboration of my problems with Jonathan and Martha's portrayals.
  • I liked that Lois and Clark were together. (Of course!)
  • Although I understand Lois's very human reaction when Clark is telling her goodbye, I think it would have been better with, at most, a single, "Don't do this, Clark," followed by an "I love you. Do what you have to do, but try to come home to me."
  • I liked the way they introduced the other meta-humans. Although this was obviously done with the intent of teasing the upcoming Justice League films, it didn't seem like it was just grafted into the story.
  • I didn't catch how either Bruce or Lex figured out that CK=S. Was I just unobservant (and, if so, how did they do it?) or did the film not go into it? Are we just to assume that since Bruce and Lex are both intelligent, resourceful individuals with huge grudges against Superman, that they would each have simply figured it out from whatever clues their research revealed? Was Flash's warning what tipped Bruce off?
  • I thought the reason that Bruce didn't kill Clark when he had a chance (that Clark happened to mention the name, "Martha") was a bit glib. I do realize that there was a bit more to it than that, but I had the impression that that was what it had boiled down to. I had the distinct impression that if Clark's mother had had a different name, or if he had just plead for the life of "my mother," Batman wouldn't have spared him.
  • I didn't like Lois kissing Clark in public while he was dressed as Superman. Not exactly the best way to keep the secret. Even if it was an emotional situation, even if it was dark and seemingly deserted, there could always have been security cameras or simply a late worker that happened to be looking out an office window. If she behaves like this, maybe it's no surprise after all that Bruce and Lex both figured out Superman's secret identity.
  • I have not yet decided what I think of Jesse Eisenberg's Lex. I will grant that he had an interpretation that was at once novel and yet in keeping with the core of the character: a shrew individual whose public persona is such that most people would not suspect him of being nefarious; modern Lex is someone who can be quite personable but who is also utterly ruthless and who has no compunction about sacrificing human lives to advance his ends. If Eisenberg's acting weren't quite so over the top, I would definitely say he was well cast. As it was, I'll want to think a bit more before I render a verdict.
  • I liked the use of Christopher Wren's epitaph; it seemed very fitting.
  • I loved the fraction-of-a-second, so-fast-it-would-have-been-easy-to-miss, rising of the soil on Clark's casket at the very end of the movie. My enjoyment of it, though, was marred by how unrealistic the setup was. Lois was the only person to throw a handful of soil on the casket. Really? There was a mid-sized funeral procession, and no one else honored him in this manner? Not even Martha?

There's a lot more I could say, and I realize that most of my comments were negative. (I won't even get into the fact that I wish the camera would stay still longer in most shots, and I wished there were more slow moments in the film so we would have time to fully digest the quicker ones -- I have this criticism of the few new movies I've seen in recent years, and I realize that it may have more to do with my getting older than with the film itself.) But overall, I would give the movie a seven out of ten. Definitely better than MoS.

I know that no stand-alone Superman movies have been announced yet; I'm hoping that there really is at least one more that is being planned, but that it is being kept hush-hush so as not to spoil the "surprise" comeback of Clark. Yeah, I realize that this is a long shot, given how difficult it is to maintain secrecy in Hollywood these days, but a gal can hope. smile

I could probably say a lot more, but these were my initial reactions. I'll probably see the Ultimate/Extended edition next week. It will be interesting both to see the earlier scenes from the theatrical cut again, in light of what I now know about the later scenes, and to see the extra footage. Has anyone seen the ultimate edition version yet? if so, what did you think?

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., It will be good to be able to listen to podcasts again without having to worry about whether I'll have to stop them to avoid spoilers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, PuffyTiger 

Link Copied to Clipboard