Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Scene 1

See, I told you. No A-Plot. No B-Plot. Just a conversation between Lois and Clark. I hope you liked it.

I called it "Scene 1" because I figure other conversations might strike me (or others) and more conversations could appear in the future.

No Beta's were fed in the writing of this story, so I apologize for any errors.

Comments and additional conversations welcome.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
So, I saw this last night right before bed. I read it (on my phone) this morning while the kids were watching cartoons. And now, tonight, I finally get the chance to drop you a line.

I really enjoyed this piece! I love watching Clark constantly side-step Lois' questions. And I chuckled at the little near-slips like "Bali." Boy, Lois IS blind if she didn't pick up on Clark's sorrow over the people who'd died.

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing this continued into something a bit longer. (Hint, hint)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Deadly Chakram: Thank you so much for reading and commenting (and adding your own conversation to the mix wink ).

Originally Posted by Deadly Chakram
So, I saw this last night right before bed. I read it (on my phone) this morning while the kids were watching cartoons. And now, tonight, I finally get the chance to drop you a line.
Thanks for coming back. That sounds often what my time table is when reading the story, if I can read it in one sitting.

I really enjoyed this piece! I love watching Clark constantly side-step Lois' questions. And I chuckled at the little near-slips like "Bali." Boy, Lois IS blind if she didn't pick up on Clark's sorrow over the people who'd died.
Thank you. Clark's being honest... for Clark. laugh Lois isn't likely to think CK=S just because he said he needed to relax walking on the beaches of Bali. Not that he DID say that, exactly. More that he's pulling her leg. Why wouldn't he lie? She always does to dodge telling someone uncomfortable truths. Like he might have spent the weekend with Mayson in her Uncle's cabin.

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing this continued into something a bit longer. (Hint, hint)
I'm sure that Lois and Clark will be having more conversations in the future. Whether or not they'll be set in the same locale, on the same topics, with L&C in the same mood, so it sounds like a continuation of the same story, is currently unforeseen in my Magic 8 Ball. Check back later.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
This story felt very real, like it could have been dropped into any normal day in the characters' lives. As the tv show skips from plot point to plot point, it misses the small moments, the relatable everyday conversations that people have with each other. Lois and Clark are friends; they'd hang out and chat with each other regularly - they can't spend every second of each day chasing hot leads or being thrown off buildings. In these quieter moments, this is the kind of easy conversation they'd have and the fleeting thoughts that would float through Lois' head but never be said out loud. I liked it. thumbsup

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
groobie: Thank you for reading. smile

This story felt very real, like it could have been dropped into any normal day in the characters' lives. As the tv show skips from plot point to plot point, it misses the small moments, the relatable everyday conversations that people have with each other. Lois and Clark are friends; they'd hang out and chat with each other regularly - they can't spend every second of each day chasing hot leads or being thrown off buildings. In these quieter moments, this is the kind of easy conversation they'd have and the fleeting thoughts that would float through Lois' head but never be said out loud. I liked it. thumbsup
Thank you. Yes, that's exactly why I started this challenge. Not all conversations lead to romance or to solving the current mystery at hand. Sometimes, it's just fun to be a butterfly on the wall (really, who would want to be a fly? [Linked Image] ) watching Lois and Clark's friendship grow. As my readers can contest, my stories often go rambling off. Many times this is because L&C are having a fun conversation (yet, pointless to the plot) that I just don't want to cut before they get to the heart of the matter. I figured I wasn't the only one this happened to.

I took this conversation idea (about Clark not answering questions and her asking if he'd ever thought about going into politics) from another story where I knew it would ramble endlessly on before getting to the point. Since I knew I could play with it without it being a problem, I pulled it from that story before I wrote more than that one line. Then I needed to rework the beginning to have Clark not answer Lois's questions. Because I pulled this train of thought from that story and put it here, I was freed to come up with a solution to another problem in my story. hyper (Now, you see where my characters tendency to ramble on comes from... blush )

Anyway, thanks for taking a chance on a plotless story.

VirginiaR.
---
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Virginia!
It’s been too long hyper

No A-Plot. No B-Plot. Just a conversation between Lois and Clark.
/looks at screen/ That’s a short conversation. Did Clark break up with her? Again?

. “So, what did you do last weekend? I tried calling but you never answered.”
CLARK: Umm…Mayson?

“It wasn’t important,” she said, brushing off the truth, which was more ‘I don’t like to leave messages, because I always end up sounding like a rambling idiot.’
Or desperate.

Lois waited, but apparently he was more patient than she was. “So?”
And that’s a surprise because…?
LOIS: Because no one can wait for more than four seconds on an answer. It’s humanly impossible.
CLARK: shock It is?

“No,” she said snidely. “I wanted to rearrange my living room, if you must know.”
And she needed a strong set of arms.
[Linked Image] : wave
LOIS: I said a ‘strong’ set of arms.

“Not always. Sometimes Rome, Paris, London, Nepal, the Arctic Circle, Des Moines. Lots of places, really. It doesn’t matter where I am physically… only mentally.”
Should come in handy when they lock him up in a padded room.

Yep. Clark was totally a mental case.
See?

“Twenty-seven people ended up in the hospital. Two died.”

Lois knew that he’d remember the details. Somehow, he always knew. Smart Aleck!
No, actually…

Other than the fact that she knew Clark wouldn’t have spent the entire weekend walking the streets of Metropolis to clear his mind.
Maybe he ended up in front of Mayson’s apartment. And she certainly gave the impression that she’d like to help him with getting his mind off of things.

Good. He’d be too good at avoiding the truth.
laugh

“Hmmm.” He seemed to be considering the question now, though. “No. I’m going to leave politics to the professionals and stick with what I know best.” He popped another chip into his mouth.
Lying?

Was he planning to answer all her questions with questions tonight?
What do you think?
LOIS: cat mad

“Shoveling manure?” she guessed innocently,
Like a Greek demi-god on this way to Mount Olympus?

dipping her hand into his chip bag. She’d just eat one and then go back to her veggies.
Uh-huh.

“I’m good at that,” he admitted without being boastful. “But I wouldn’t say it’s my best skill.”

Wanna bet?

“Otherwise, I would’ve stayed on the farm. No, I’d say I’m pretty good at reading people,” he said.

Wanna bet?
clap
CLARK: /if I let her eat those chips, her fuse might clog and she won’t go off/

She decided to play devil’s advocate as she took another chip. “And politicians don’t do any of that stuff?”
Let’s see…

“Listening to people. Investigating. Getting to the heart of a problem. Finding solutions. Informing the public of impending dangers. Helping people,” he went on.
No. Nope. Right. That will be the day. rotflol Yeah, only when there’s a camera nearby and election day is near.

“I follow the rules, Lois. You’re the one who breaks them.”

Touché.

She shrugged, admitting nothing.
Plus, she does so wearing a sexy smile. And when she B&E’s Superman’s bedroom, she wears little else.

His eyes twinkled in the darkness as he smiled. She had never noticed what a striking shade of brown they were; almost the same color as freshly toiled earth.
Huh, must be new contacts because last year, they were a dull, insipid mud brown.

Lois set down her soda and picked up the bag of chips.
Admitting defeat?

Comments
Cute stuff. You’re great at banter clap

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Darth Michael: wave
Hi Virginia!
It’s been too long
peep

/looks at screen/ That’s a short conversation. Did Clark break up with her? Again?
Not that kind of conversation.

Originally Posted by Michael
Originally Posted by Scene 1
“So, what did you do last weekend? I tried calling but you never answered.”
CLARK: Umm…Mayson?
Yep. That's exactly what she's wondering.

Or desperate.
Same diff.

And that’s a surprise because…?
LOIS: Because no one can wait for more than four seconds on an answer. It’s humanly impossible.
CLARK: /shock/ It is?
Ooops. clap

And she needed a strong set of arms.
Exactly!
/Dan volunteers/
LOIS: I said a ‘strong’ set of arms.
DAN: What? My shirts are loud.

Should come in handy when they lock him up in a padded room.
That's the theory. Why he's been practicing for years.

No, actually…
Yep. He was there.

Maybe he ended up in front of Mayson’s apartment. And she certainly gave the impression that she’d like to help him with getting his mind off of things.
MAYSON: Geeze! How long and high to have I have to wave this flag before he notices me?

Lying?
Helping people. (It's a POV thing.)

What do you think?
LOIS: /cat/ /mad/
That it might drive Lois to adopt 30 cats? Possibly.

Like a Greek demi-god on this way to Mount Olympus?
Sort-of.

CLARK: /if I let her eat those chips, her fuse might clog and she won’t go off/
Junk Food. It's what really soothes the savage beast. That and chocolate.
CLARK: [Linked Image]

Let’s see…
Well, they SAY they do.

Originally Posted by ER
Originally Posted by Scene1
“Listening to people. Investigating. Getting to the heart of a problem. Finding solutions. Informing the public of impending dangers. Helping people,” he went on.
No. Nope. Right. That will be the day. rotflol Yeah, only when there’s a camera nearby and election day is near.
Yes, but Clark's glasses are tinged a bit pinker than the rest of us and Lois knows this.

Plus, she does so wearing a sexy smile. And when she B&E’s Superman’s bedroom, she wears little else.
LOIS: Now, if only I could figure out where he lies his head...

Originally Posted by ER
His eyes twinkled in the darkness as he smiled. She had never noticed what a striking shade of brown they were; almost the same color as freshly toiled earth.
Huh, must be new contacts because last year, they were a dull, insipid mud brown.
I figured you would notice the similarities between "freshly toiled earth" and "mud". [Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ER
Lois set down her soda and picked up the bag of chips.
Admitting defeat?
No. If she eats all of her enemies provisions, then it means that she'll have more strength than him, because she'll still have all hers. wink

Cute stuff. You’re great at banter
[Linked Image] Thanks, Michael. Sometimes, it's easier writing conversations than sticking to plot points. It could be why some of my stories tend to the long side.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Hi Virginia!
It’s been too long
EW: /hides her wrong Clark behind a wall/
grovel

MAYSON: Geeze! How long and high to have I have to wave this flag before he notices me?
And they say he’s got 21/21 vision, huh?

ER/LOIS: Lying?
EW/CLARK: Helping people. (It's a POV thing.)
laugh

That it might drive Lois to adopt 30 cats? Possibly.
laugh So, how they’re going to get along with her fish?
CATS: With lots of Souce Tartar.

Junk Food. It's what really soothes the savage beast. That and chocolate.
CLARK: /will now always carry emergency chocolates/
laugh

LOIS: Now, if only I could figure out where he lies his head...
Clark’s pillow. And sometimes his ceiling.

ER: Huh, must be new contacts because last year, they were a dull, insipid mud brown.
EW: I figured you would notice the similarities between "freshly toiled earth" and "mud".
Erm…yeah, to me mud was always a lighter brown while the freshly toiled earth is a dark, rich, almost black color.

No. If she eats all of her enemies provisions, then it means that she'll have more strength than him, because she'll still have all hers.
laugh

Sometimes, it's easier writing conversations than sticking to plot points. It could be why some of my stories tend to the long side.
laugh

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Boy, this morning I'm starting to realize just how far behind I was! Only about a month late stopping to this post peep...

But anyway, hi wave !

I enjoyed this, a lot notworthy. Sometimes those quiet moments, moments of comfort when the conversation is just that--conversation--are so rewarding...

What I was drawn to with Lois, with Clark, as I started watching the show as a teen, was their relatability. Their personalities. Their problems. But also, both of their sense of humor. And their 'wanting' to fit in and be themselves with someone else. Watching them find and then both blossom in (and because) of their friendship was amazing.

This idea you had--a conversation--whatever and wherever it happens to be, is so great! It showcases normalcy between Lois and Clark. Them being themselves. And their comfort in each other.

I loved the back and forth. Lois digging...Clark avoiding. But both genuinely being who they are. Everything with the snacks--Clark knowing (before Lois knew) that she would not want her veggies. How he just sorta inserts his chips and soda into her space.

Clark spilling out Bali was great lol. Whoops!

Awesome job! (And even an Iowa reference to boot hail )

Laura, who resides right around the unfortunate incident Clark dealt with

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Laura: I'm so embarrassed! blush I just realized I hadn't responded to your wonderful comments. Please forgive me. peep

Originally Posted by Laura
Boy, this morning I'm starting to realize just how far behind I was! Only about a month late stopping to this post...
Comments are readily accepted at any time! Thank you!

But anyway, hi wave !
Hi! wave

I enjoyed this, a lot notworthy. Sometimes those quiet moments, moments of comfort when the conversation is just that--conversation--are so rewarding...
Thanks. That's what I think. I tend to ramble on in my stories (yeah, duh! I know.) Usually, it's because L&C get into a conversation that I find really interesting even though it has NOTHING to do with the plot. So, I wanted a place to put these conversations, should I ever have the courage to pull them out of the stories where they were originally written and/or dreamed up.

What I was drawn to with Lois, with Clark, as I started watching the show as a teen, was their relatability. Their personalities. Their problems. But also, both of their sense of humor. And their 'wanting' to fit in and be themselves with someone else. Watching them find and then both blossom in (and because) of their friendship was amazing.
Sigh. Clark really is a dream friend, isn't he? Me, I'm more like Lois... not purposefully, just without realizing it. That's what bonded me to these characters. I could really relate to them.

This idea you had--a conversation--whatever and wherever it happens to be, is so great! It showcases normalcy between Lois and Clark. Them being themselves. And their comfort in each other.
Thanks! That's what I was striving for. Those 'getting to know you' moments.

I loved the back and forth. Lois digging...Clark avoiding. But both genuinely being who they are. Everything with the snacks--Clark knowing (before Lois knew) that she would not want her veggies. How he just sorta inserts his chips and soda into her space.
Although, it could have been that he knew Lois so well that she'd end up stealing his snacks that he might as well bring enough for her to do so.

Clark spilling out Bali was great lol. Whoops!
He wants to be honest. It's his natural state. And Lois's is to ferret out the truth.

Awesome job! (And even an Iowa reference to boot hail )
I needed some place that was unlike all the others mentioned. Something that would make Lois think, "Iowa?"

Laura, who resides right around the unfortunate incident Clark dealt with
Actually, not that this has anything to do with anything, the absolute worse traffic jam I've ever been stuck in was in Iowa. Corn fields to the left us. Corn fields to the right of us. Sitting on the Interstate for *hours* wondering why traffic wasn't moving. Then finally pulling off at the first exit we reached and stopping at a gas station to find a way around the road construction. The woman at the counter didn't drive, so we approached 4 old men playing cards and asked them. I'm not kidding you, each of them offered us advice and each of them corrected the one before him and pointed in a different direction. lol

VirginiaR.
---
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
So ironic! LOL--yeah Iowa is normally not really knowing for 'traffic jams' smile.

Great story. Would have loved to hear the guys at the table give you their 'advice'...that sounds like a hoot! Ha!

Laura (who agrees that Clark is the ultimate Dream Friend)

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard