Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Starting yesterday when I click on comments or the link to a chapter/story from the TOCs, I get sent to the home page of the forum. This occurs whether or not I'm logged in, and on both Firefox and Google Chrome browsers.

Yesterday I could login but not post, getting an error message that suggested a firewall was the problem. I can now post without having made any changes to my computer.

Anyone else have the issue with the TOCs?

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

L
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
L
I'm having the same issue logging in through safari on my phone. Toc brings me back to the main page and it looks like I'm not logged it when I am.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I just checked the TOC thing too. I get booted to the main page when I click on any linked story/comments.

And the log in thing is messed up again. If I click the Lois and Clark icon at the top of the page, it shows me as logged out again.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Same for me, DC--for both...

Hmmm.
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
TOC issue being also discussed here: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=269150#Post269150

Short version: The boards changed the format of the URLs to the threads two days ago after a server reboot and the old format used since the upgrade is no longer recognized by the boards.

wave Michael

Last edited by Darth Michael; 02/25/16 02:43 AM. Reason: added details

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Darth Michael
Short version: The boards changed the format of the URLs to the threads two days ago after a server reboot and the old format used since the upgrade is no longer recognized by the boards.
Michael, I believe you forgot to include this symbol: wallbash to the end of this paragraph. As anyone who had to change all the broken links last year when we changed boards will attest, this is something we don't want to do again. *thinks back* Did I ever finish changing all those links for Missing Lois? [Linked Image]

Some of us put links to the previous story part and the next story part AND the FDK embedded within each part, so changing just the TOC is merely a small part of the process. (A small benefit to help readers willing to read never-ending stories.) grovel PLEASE, don't make us do that again. thud

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Michael, where are you getting that we've changed the format of the URLs? I've changed nothing and why would *this* particular reboot roll everything back?

Can you please give an example of what it used to be and what it is now?

I'm thinking that maybe I ought to give you admin access temp and have you take a look at the setting and see what you can come up with.

I'm being serious.

Keep in mind that I am not a programmer, I never was and I never claimed to be. I know some PHP, enough to be dangerous.

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Current link to Wrong Clark TOC page:

http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=172652#Post172652

Previous (post last May's Message Board switch) link to Wrong Clark TOC page: (This link no longer works)

http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/172652

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Annette, the examples can be found in all of the TOCs since upgrade, for instance:

New: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=269047#Post269047
Old: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/269047#Post269047

New: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=39988&Number=268019#Post268019
Old: http://www.lcficmbs.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php/topics/268019/Origins,_or,_How_Jar-Jar_Binks#Post268019

And unfortunately, the boards don't support parsing the path-format (i.e. the search-engine friendly one) when they're set to using the query string format. This is also the (or at least one of the) problem(s) with the cookie path on login. Some of the cookies get sent in the url-with-path format, where the path is "/ubb/ubbthreads.php/". Since that's not a match for "/ubb/ubbthreads.php" (the path when there is a query string attached), the cookie is never sent back to the server and the login is lost.

The setting for the spider-friendly urls is on the General Tab "Spider-Friendly URLs", should be right next to the cookie settings.

As for this particular reboot - that's why I asked when the last one was smile For instance, if the server actually ran without a restart since the original upgrade, there might have been something left that didn't get loaded till the next reboot. When we get deeper into this, it will help to understand how the server's administrated - e.g. is the server administrator also doing maintenance on the board software, or the underlying php-version itself. Who's responsible for what part/has access to what part of the boards and stuff like that. Edit: okay, just seen your support call over at UBB, so the server was rebooted between this week and the upgrade. That can't be it then. Directly. I'm assuming that the host's admins aren't fiddling around with the board software, correct?

Keep in mind that I am not a programmer, I never was and I never claimed to be. I know some PHP, enough to be dangerous.
Oh. wallbash And here I thought. Really did. But at least we're about the same then when it comes to php. Regarding admin-access. I'd be happy to help if you'd like. We can just move this over to e-mail, you've got mine via the boards, right? Just for practical purposes, you could just mail me a zip of the board's code on a first run, no need to actually have access and I can then go through it offline and look if I find anything suspicious.

I've also checked out the requirements and it looks like the boards also run on Windows (okay, they're on php which is available for Windows and Linus, so, duh!), and I've got a test machine lying around. Will try to do a test setup of the boards so I can fiddle around, too. Edit: okay, there's no longer demo-version for download available since the past couple of versions/years. That's...unfortunate...

wave Michael

Last edited by Darth Michael; 02/26/16 06:32 PM.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
OK made a change recommended by Michael, can someone please check the TOCs and see if they are fixed?

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

"There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured by what is right with America." Bill Clinton, inaugural address, January 21, 1993
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by amciotola
OK made a change recommended by Michael, can someone please check the TOCs and see if they are fixed?

I just tried a few random stories and comments on the TOC from my phone and they worked.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I also noticed that my log in seems to be better at the moment. (Again, from mobile.)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
OK looks like one issue down. Yay!

Annette wink

www.kerthawards.com
www.lcficmbs.com
www.folcvideo.com
www.nfanfic.net
www.annesplace.net

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I just played around on the TOC, too. From an iPad. Things there seem to be working 'super' smile.

Awesome--great job! Really appreciate the work put into maintaining this wonderful place...
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
I checked on my computer (Windows 7)and the TOC links I checked are all working. Thanks Annette, Michael & Everyone... Great Job! hyper

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yes!!!! Yay!!! The TOC link worked for me too.
r/
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
/carefully marks checkbox on list/
Now, for the login issue...
/heads over to other thread/

wave Michael

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
hyper smile1 clap notworthy Yes! TOC's back up and running again! Thank you so much for all the hard working and knowledgeable people with the smarts to keep this website working for our enjoyment. We love you and, clearly, we couldn't do this without you!

VirginiaR.
---

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard