Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Why, yes, I did recently sit and watch The Incredibles with my two and a half year old daughters. Why do you ask?

But, seriously, I've had this idea for a while now. It just took me some time to get an angle on it.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
Fabulous! I can absolutely imagine Clark feeling this way. He has always grown up with that fear of being exposed; with a family to protect, the weight of his secret must grow day by day like a tower of cards, destined to collapse. The Incredibles was a great movie, but to him it would be a bright, flashing light drawing attention to the exact thing he doesn't want anyone to notice. I really enjoyed this story. thumbsup

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Kerth
Kerth
Yes, finally someone who picked up The Incredibles! YAAAAY!
Ahem. Sorry. But I've been dying to see something like this for years. So, kudos for that alone.

Of course, the way you had Clark and his boys watch the movie, then have all of Clark's fears about his own secret identity being found out shown in introspection - it was a fabulous ride. Not to mention that your use of movie scenes was spot on.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
What a great idea, DC notworthy!

It's so awesome when characters from a story made after L&C can be used with L&C. It makes L&C seem so ageless. More 'current', and I love that smile.

I can totally imagine Clark becoming concerned after watching this movie. His whole life--everything has been about hiding. Protecting his secret. Like Susan state, having kids and a wife would only magnify that fear.

You did a great job of voicing the children--having a 4 and 6 year old, Clark's afternoon out with them was very relatable grin.

Awesome job!!!
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by groobie
Fabulous! I can absolutely imagine Clark feeling this way. He has always grown up with that fear of being exposed; with a family to protect, the weight of his secret must grow day by day like a tower of cards, destined to collapse. The Incredibles was a great movie, but to him it would be a bright, flashing light drawing attention to the exact thing he doesn't want anyone to notice. I really enjoyed this story. thumbsup

Thank you! I could just picture Clark sitting there, sweating bullets, as this particular can of worms got opened. Initially, I had this idea of him going with Jimmy, but the family angle really struck me when I watched the movie the other day.

Thanks for reading!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lara Joelle Kent
Yes, finally someone who picked up The Incredibles! YAAAAY!
Ahem. Sorry. But I've been dying to see something like this for years. So, kudos for that alone.

Of course, the way you had Clark and his boys watch the movie, then have all of Clark's fears about his own secret identity being found out shown in introspection - it was a fabulous ride. Not to mention that your use of movie scenes was spot on.

Oh, this one has been brewing in my head for years. I just needed the right angle to have Clark see the movie. smile I really wish I could have gotten this nailed down sooner! (What a relief to finally have it on paper!)

Glad you liked it. I liked that it gave Clark time for introspection. (As opposed to my original idea of having Jimmy drag him to the movies for fun.)

Glad you liked the scenes I opted to highlight. It's such a good movie - it got a little hard to choose!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by LMA
What a great idea, DC notworthy!

It's so awesome when characters from a story made after L&C can be used with L&C. It makes L&C seem so ageless. More 'current', and I love that smile.

I can totally imagine Clark becoming concerned after watching this movie. His whole life--everything has been about hiding. Protecting his secret. Like Susan state, having kids and a wife would only magnify that fear.

You did a great job of voicing the children--having a 4 and 6 year old, Clark's afternoon out with them was very relatable grin.

Awesome job!!!
Laura

Thank you! Mine are only 2 1/2, so I had to sort of guess how a 5 and 6 year old would sound like/act. (We will not be taking the kids to the movies for a while - we're still in the "watch for a little, get up and run around playing/yelling" stage.)

I've thought for a long time that Clark would have a huge problem with the themes of the movie. Forcing him to sit in a theater (instead of at home on DVD) made it all the funnier in my mind, because not he cannot escape it. smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
It looks as if we're able to post again hyper So, here is the FDK I wrote earlier in it's entirety (and then some).

I love the Incredibles! (Even more so since I've fallen in love with Clark -- wait. Did I write that outloud? blush ) You did a great job of showing the movie from the two different POVs. One - the boys - what a fun film! And the other, from Clark/Superman worried about the safety of his family. You struck just the right kind of balance between the two. Although, I was a bit surprised that the Jack-Jack gets powers scenes didn't freak him out. lol

I especially enjoyed seeing Clark spend some quality time with his sons. What a great dad! Funny that both boys wanted to be Frozone instead of Incredible. clap

I had always wanted to write something along this theme (Clark vs. the Incredibles) but it never solidified in my mind. I must applaud your triumphant efforts here notworthy as this is better than any plot I considered!

Well done and very enjoyable!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
It looks as if we're able to post again hyper So, here is the FDK I wrote earlier in it's entirety (and then some).

I love the Incredibles! (Even more so since I've fallen in love with Clark -- wait. Did I write that outloud? blush ) You did a great job of showing the movie from the two different POVs. One - the boys - what a fun film! And the other, from Clark/Superman worried about the safety of his family. You struck just the right kind of balance between the two. Although, I was a bit surprised that the Jack-Jack gets powers scenes didn't freak him out. lol

I especially enjoyed seeing Clark spend some quality time with his sons. What a great dad! Funny that both boys wanted to be Frozone instead of Incredible. clap

I had always wanted to write something along this theme (Clark vs. the Incredibles) but it never solidified in my mind. I must applaud your triumphant efforts here notworthy as this is better than any plot I considered!

Well done and very enjoyable!

Yay! Glad you can post again. I could post, but the log in has been weird all day.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought this would make an interesting crossover idea. I love that we have so much shared twistedness!

The Incredibles is a great movie. And it was such a relief to watch it and not "squishy robot" (aka Big Hero 6, which is also very good) for the 974th time the other day. It never ceases to amaze me how wrapped up into a movie my duo can get while I can sit there and have a million other thoughts going on in my head. Hence, the inspiration for showing the boy's blissfully unaware excitement while Clark has an internal panic attack. laugh

I think, by the time Jack-Jack turns into a gremlin, Clark is just drained. He's too freaked out to freak out, if that makes any sense.

I think Frozone is awesome. I'm hoping we get more of him in the rumored sequel. Actually, Mr. DC and I want to meet Mrs. Frozone...our favorite line from the movie is her (off-screen, of course) "I am your wife. I'm the greatest good you're ever gonna get!"

Thanks for reading and I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a blast to write! (And one of the easier stories I've tackled in a while.)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Features Writer
Features Writer
What a great story! Loved how you nailed both the kids' reactions and Clark's. Awesome! notworthy thumbsup

Last edited by cuidadora; 02/24/16 09:31 AM.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Kerth
Kerth
Maybe you could give us a sequel using Jack Jack Attack for inspiration?

I can see both Clark's boys getting really excited about all those powers once they see the mini movie on DVD, while Clark and Lois are anything but.

I can also imagine things some 8-10 years later, when the boys re-watch that little movie - and compare it to how their super powers kicked in.

So, uhm, two sequels? grovel

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Hey DC wave...

We really haven't done the 'movie' thing much either yet. The 6 year old went when she was 5--had to use the bathroom 3 different times, talked quite a lot during, and was pretty worried when the lights were turned out.

Based on that experience, the 4 year old hasn't been taken yet wink...

Really looking forward to it someday though!
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by cuidadora
What a great story! Loved how you nailed both the kids' reactions and Clark's. Awesome! notworthy thumbsup

Thanks! So glad you enjoyed it. Of course, I *had* to show the flip side to Clark's panic by showing the excitement/blissful unawareness of the kids. wink

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Lara Joelle Kent
Maybe you could give us a sequel using Jack Jack Attack for inspiration?

I can see both Clark's boys getting really excited about all those powers once they see the mini movie on DVD, while Clark and Lois are anything but.

I can also imagine things some 8-10 years later, when the boys re-watch that little movie - and compare it to how their super powers kicked in.

So, uhm, two sequels? grovel

I actually thought about the Jack-Jack Attack short film. But I think, if I were to do it (and there's no real inspiration there yet), it would have to be centered on Lois and Clark. At their ages, the kids have no idea they may get powers in the future. However, once they have the "talk" later on down the road...

Anyway, the request is duly noted. My muse has three other fics on the burners, but, you never know. She took a major detour to get this one done. wink

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by LMA
Hey DC wave...

We really haven't done the 'movie' thing much either yet. The 6 year old went when she was 5--had to use the bathroom 3 different times, talked quite a lot during, and was pretty worried when the lights were turned out.

Based on that experience, the 4 year old hasn't been taken yet wink...

Really looking forward to it someday though!
Laura

Friends of ours took their 2 year old to the Peanuts movie. They said he did well. Other friends are planning on taking their 2 year old to Zootopia soon.

I can't even imagine bringing mine to the theater at this age. I can just imagine the movie starting and my two screaming at the top of their lungs for "DANIEL TIGER!!!!!!!!!!!" Not worth the hassle, the headache, or the expense at this age! laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Vicki!
Going to the movies with your family is supposed to be relaxing, but for Clark Kent, things can be a little different.
Wonder if this is pre- or post-kids. I’m guessing, both has a chance for high jinks.

"Dad! Dad! Can we get some popcorn?" six year old Michael asked excitedly as Clark attempted to guide him through the movie theater lobby.
Apparently, post-kids.

"I don't know," Clark wavered, thinking over his options, which were limited to caving to his children's requests and spoiling their appetite for dinner, or risking a public meltdown and having to cart his sons back home again.
Good thing they don’t develop powers until they’re teenagers? Although, teenagers are also known to be tantrum prone. Especially girls, when their parents don’t allow them to hang out with the motorcycle driving bandmember wearing a black leather jacket and hair that looks like it hasn’t seen water in years, aside from rain, that is.

"Mom's making fajitas tonight, and I know how much you love them."
Does ‘making’ refer to unwrapping them after Clark brings them home from Mexico?

While it was true that Lois was no Iron Chef, she'd gotten fairly good at cooking a - very small - list of meals.
Chocolate icecream with chocolate sauce. Hot chocolate. And chocolate squares cut from a bigger chocolate bar.

"I think that's a bit too close," Clark said, dreading the assault on his sensitive eyes at so close a range to the huge screen.
They don’t have surround sound yet?

Clark checked his watch with a swift glance. "Just a few minutes."
Then the commercials start. 30 minutes of advertisements for toys, snacks, and soft drinks. And junk food. Never forget the junk food!

Clark mentally noted the ones the boys would likely want to see, and which of those looked age appropriate.
Let’s see… 2004? Maybe there’s already a Star Wars trailer out for Ep3? Not strictly appropriate for the little ones, though. When was Return of the King? Possibly the first Harry Potter. A Batman, I think. Lots of options that sound like fun but are not yet appropriate for the wee ones. Too bad the Superman movie was 2006.

Easy, his inner voice said. You don't know that they are going that route...

"Every superhero has a secret identity," Mr. Incredible answered with casual calmness and a cool demeanor.
rotflol

Where did Superman hang his cape at night?
Diana Prince’s bedroom?

How did Batman earn a living to afford his gadgets?
Jewelry theft while the owners are on vacation in their Caribbean summer homes?

What did Wonder Woman do between rescues?
Take care of Superman?

Were there times when the "supers" of the world weren't so super?
Like break up with their fiancées for their own good?

Did he really believe some villain was going to automatically figure out his secret and snatch his kids away?
What if a supervillian was the producer? Like with the Incredibles, Mr. T. P. Emus.

She'd be right to tell me that, he said to himself. Laugh it off. Don't give anyone a reason to give the idea of a superhero living a normal, undercover life a second thought. Let people think it's just a rather clever plot twist the movie studio came up with.
And how will he explain the ruined upholstery?

He had no qualms about employing his abilities to find a lead when all avenues had grown cold and seemed dead-ended.
Or to win a bet with Lois:
CLARK: shock No! I mean…no! Why would you suggest that? I would never. If Lois hears this, she…She can never learn. She always looses those bets fair and square and then has to pay up while the kids are in Smallville.
LOIS: Yes, I always loose fair and square and then have to pay up. Uh-huh.

Now, he couldn't imagine Superman without the cape.

Good thing Edna isn't the one making my costumes, he thought wryly.
I guess it all depends on the person wearing it. For Superman, the cape’s almost part of his body. You know, like with a dragon. And just like a dragon, Superman’s capable of setting the world around him ablaze. He’s able to fly. He’s pretty tough to hurt. He’s got a pretty long lifespan. And he forms a very strong bond with his rider. Yep, I think Superman’s a dragon. And on an unrelated note – five more weeks. Just or still, I can’t decide huh

"Do you think it's true?"

"What's true?" Clark asked.

"Superheroes," Michael pressed. "Do you think they all have secret identities?"
laugh

"Do you think Superman's got kids? Does Batman have a wife?" the boy asked thoughtfully.
Yes. And depends on whether Selina fenced her engagement ring.

Forget tomorrow. I'll call Bruce tonight, he thought to himself as he steered the conversation to other topics.
laugh maybe they could copyright the secret identity concept and then forbid the concept from getting used (or mentioned) in the media?

Very cute story! Totally didn’t expect this turn of events clap

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wonder if this is pre- or post-kids. I’m guessing, both has a chance for high jinks.

Always! laugh

Good thing they don’t develop powers until they’re teenagers? Although, teenagers are also known to be tantrum prone. Especially girls, when their parents don’t allow them to hang out with the motorcycle driving bandmember wearing a black leather jacket and hair that looks like it hasn’t seen water in years, aside from rain, that is.

My thinking has always been that any kids would develop powers along the same timeline as Clark did. Especially since half of their genes are from Earth.

Daughter: "Dad-dy! (huff) Stop ruining my life!"

Does ‘making’ refer to unwrapping them after Clark brings them home from Mexico?

evil

Chocolate icecream with chocolate sauce. Hot chocolate. And chocolate squares cut from a bigger chocolate bar.

Lois: "I had to assemble ingredients! That counts!"

They don’t have surround sound yet?

Clark: (wiggles pinkies in ears, removes them) "Huh? What?"

Let’s see… 2004? Maybe there’s already a Star Wars trailer out for Ep3? Not strictly appropriate for the little ones, though. When was Return of the King? Possibly the first Harry Potter. A Batman, I think. Lots of options that sound like fun but are not yet appropriate for the wee ones. Too bad the Superman movie was 2006.

ROTK was 2003. I discussed it with my favorite Mass Comm professor during the defense of my Senior Honors Thesis. (My topic was how camera angles can invoke emotional responses within an audience without the need for other cues - like lighting, music, etc.) Batman had to have been 2005 - my husband and I saw it together while we were dating. The Superman movie, however, could have some awesome evilness for Clark to see. wink

Diana Prince’s bedroom?

Diana: "He wishes."

Take care of Superman?

Lois: (death glare)

Like break up with their fiancées for their own good?

Clark: "I am never going to live that down, am I?"
Lois: "Nope."

guess it all depends on the person wearing it. For Superman, the cape’s almost part of his body. You know, like with a dragon. And just like a dragon, Superman’s capable of setting the world around him ablaze. He’s able to fly. He’s pretty tough to hurt. He’s got a pretty long lifespan. And he forms a very strong bond with his rider. Yep, I think Superman’s a dragon. And on an unrelated note – five more weeks. Just or still, I can’t decide

So THAT'S the mark on Lois' hand! I thought she just burned herself on the barbeque again! It's the mark of the rider!

Very cute story! Totally didn’t expect this turn of events

Thanks you for stopping by! laugh Glad you liked it.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Features Writer
Features Writer
Very interesting perspective! I love superhero movies, but having them in-universe WOULD be awfully nerve-wracking for poor Clark! I love how well you were able to balance focused Clark -- intent on his children and their needs and being thankful for them -- with his obsessive, spiraling side, panicking and maybe-but-maybe-not overreacting on the inside. It was very true to his character and how so much of his process is always on the inside whether than played outwardly (which is probably why, when it does come out, it seems over the top, just because it's been building for so long). Anyway, very thought-provoking story -- I did have to chuckle at Disney accidentally stumbling onto the revolutionary truth about superheroes!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by AntiKryptonite
Very interesting perspective! I love superhero movies, but having them in-universe WOULD be awfully nerve-wracking for poor Clark! I love how well you were able to balance focused Clark -- intent on his children and their needs and being thankful for them -- with his obsessive, spiraling side, panicking and maybe-but-maybe-not overreacting on the inside. It was very true to his character and how so much of his process is always on the inside whether than played outwardly (which is probably why, when it does come out, it seems over the top, just because it's been building for so long). Anyway, very thought-provoking story -- I did have to chuckle at Disney accidentally stumbling onto the revolutionary truth about superheroes!

Hiya! smile

I've been wanting to do this to Clark for a long time now. I think it's fun to make him sweat a bit. And it's even more fun since it's not a direct threat. He's literally got no one to fight.

I'm glad that you found it balanced. I liked taking "snapshots" of what was going on in the movie and then bringing it back to Clark's inner monologue/feelings/private freak out. Although, when I told my husband about what I'd written, he was upset that I didn't add in one thing from the movie - Frozone's off-screen wife tells him "I am your wife. I'm the greatest good you're ever gonna get!" (It's seriously our favorite line in any Pixar movie.) laugh

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

My thinking has always been that any kids would develop powers along the same timeline as Clark did. Especially since half of their genes are from Earth.

Daughter: "Dad-dy! (huff) Stop ruining my life!"
CLARK: I said ‘no dating till you can fly’ and I meant it! Now go to your room, young lady. And *don’t* slam that door again. We’re already getting weird looks from the contractors as it is, what with all the bombs going off in our living room and the constant fire damage in the kitchen.

Lois: "I had to assemble ingredients! That counts!"
laugh clap

ER: Diana Prince’s bedroom?
Diana: "He wishes."
ER: Take care of Superman?
Lois: (death glare)
So, Diana is actually denying these charges because she’s afraid of a confrontation with the missus?
DIANA: Lois Lane can get a hold of Kryptonite. Do you really think she can would have trouble getting a hold of Earthen materials. Plus, did you read The Wonder of Love? I’m *not* going to fight that woman. Ugh-uh!

Clark: "I am never going to live that down, am I?"
Lois: "Nope."
CLARK: Chocolate?

So THAT'S the mark on Lois' hand! I thought she just burned herself on the barbeque again! It's the mark of the rider!
laugh That’s from How to Tame a Dragon? Also, meant the *other* dragon riders evil Just under four more weeks, now!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard