Hi FoLCs!

This is Kerth Quiz #8 - Best Original / Supporting Character

Instructions are blatantly copied/linked from last year’s Kerth Quizzes (or even further back than that ).

SPIFFY DISCLAIMER THINGY! All the stories featured in this quiz qualify for the Best Original / Supporting Character Category, but this quiz is not a stamp of recommendation for nomination. There are other stories which qualify for this category, but this quiz only covers 10 randomly chosen ones.

Recommendations for other eligible stories are *very* welcome and encouraged!

QUIZ RULES: Two points for getting the story and author from the quote; one point for getting it from the excerpt. Specify which is which, or you'll automatically get one point instead of two. (Also, don't forget to mention which number you're answering.) Open hard drive and archive, *don't* forget to snip the excerpts in your replies, and don't forget the spoiler space when you post in the replies thread. Plus, shiny gold stars for those who recognize their own stories (which, sadly, is harder than it looks, but mostly in the Epic and Long Story Categories though).

The DEADLINE for entries for this quiz is Wednesday, February 10, 2016, by 11:59 p.m (Pacific Time Zone).

Please post your answers HERE .

Good luck!
Susan

C
H
A
R
A
C
T
E
R

QUOTE #1:
I ain’t no fool. I just hafta hold my tongue.

QUOTE #2:
I want a divorce.

QUOTE #3:
Perry was sure of it. Maybe, if he handled this carefully, he could warn Clark that he knew about his alter ego — without tipping off Lois in the process.

QUOTE #4:
You’ll never remember what I looked like. You’ll never recall the sound of my voice as I sang you to sleep. You’ll never be able to bring to mind any hint of the gentle way my finger has brushed over your tiny cheeks in such awe that you are here. You won’t even remember my name.

QUOTE #5:
“Maybe, but I still feel like…like I’ve failed some moral test.”

QUOTE #6:
“But what are we going to do with an infant?” X asked evenly. “We can’t question him. An infant isn’t going to smuggle in illegal weapons or intergalactic drugs with him.”

QUOTE #7:
“So, we’re agreed. We’ll live by the army motto.”

QUOTE #8:
Audrey sighed as her eyes looked up, as if she could see through the ceiling and search the sky. “Superman’s got a girlfriend.”

QUOTE #9:
It’s my business to see people’s likenesses and their differences.

QUOTE #10:
Superman was sitting there, in plain clothes, eating a sandwich. And no one else seemed to be noticing.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

EXCERPT #1:

I’m sittin’ on the biggest money-maker out there, and I can’t use it. When we found out Superman was super-fast, well, it don’t take no brain scientist to know who my tenant really is. If I could spread the word, I could name my price on the rest of the apartments in the building, and some star chaser would pay it. But Kent wouldn’t like it, and no way, no how am I gonna make Superman mad at me.

EXCERPT #2:

I have to leave him. I have to find myself – learn that who I am is an independent clause; it doesn’t rely on anyone else. I am not his: I am my own person. I am Elise Carr. And that is good enough.

EXCERPT #3:

“How did I figure it out? Clark, I’ve been a newspaperman a long time. Heck, I was dazzled by Superman, we all were. But once I started to think a bit clearer, things didn’t add up. How did he know which one was Lois’s desk, that first day? What were you doing in that closet? And then uh, I started to notice other things. Why does Superman have a Midwestern accent? Why is it that sometimes, no one knows where you are? But it was the heat wave that confirmed it. I know why you left, but leaving town at the same time Superman was being run out? It was the last piece of the puzzle.”

EXCERPT #4:

Still, surely I can steal one last moment with you, to hold you, to touch your delicate face, to burn the image of your perfect little being into my mind, treasuring the weight of your tiny frame in my arms. And as I gaze at you, I draw strength from you — the strength to do the one thing I’d never imagined I would have to do, to let you go, to send you off into the harsh and unforgiving deadness of the space between planets.

EXCERPT #5:

Clark nodded and dragged his eyes upward to meet the priest’s gaze. “Yes. Not just Lois either, but for everyone. Luthor was an evil man. I know, I know, who are we to judge…only God himself should apply the label of good or evil to any given person. But…he was an evil man. The things he’d done…the murders he’d ordered…I felt…still feel…that the world is much better off without the billionaire crime lord in it.”

EXCERPT #6:

K could almost hear the other man’s mind turning the information over. He waited as patiently as he could, but inside, his guts were twisted into anxious knots. He and PJ were still fairly new to the Men in Black. He hadn’t yet gone into the field and neuralized anyone. He especially hadn’t had to snatch an infant out of the hands of two people who, from their quick research, would likely never have children of their own, biologically or not. He didn’t really want to make tonight his first time.

EXCERPT #7:

He didn’t want to think about “the guy,” not if he could help it. But, of course, it couldn’t be helped, could it? Sooner or later, the “incident,” as the two referred to it, would need to be discussed. Questions would be asked about Captain Jones’ missing uniform, the bent bars in the small holding cell, and the logged entry Bruno had made that they had detained someone, before the man had simply vanished into thin air. Bruno wasn’t looking forward to answering those questions. The answers sounded too fantastical to be real.

EXCERPT #8:

Audrey nodded thoughtfully, then suddenly turned. Her face lit with inspiration. “We need a cart. You know, outside. It probably takes too long for him to come through the door.” She tottered on her impossibly high heels to a small table in the corner. “Help me with this.”

Together, they picked up the table and moved it outside, right in front of their storefront window. Audrey placed a bouquet of flowers on it, then stood back to admire her work. She smiled. “Now maybe he’ll buy flowers from us.”

EXCERPT #9:

Take Barry, for instance. He looks a lot like Superman, but the moment he walks (much less talks), it’s obvious he’s not Big Blue. I’ve trained him to use Superman’s posture and speech patterns when he is doing the job. But no matter what I try, he still drops character the moment he leaves the job site, even if he is still in costume. If he didn’t look so much like Superman, I’d drop him like a hot potato.

This “Clark Kent” guy, though, he looks exactly like Superman, right down to the mole. (Barry’s is a paste-on.) No imitator is that good, and “Kent’s” mole ain’t glued on. No, it’s obvious who he really is. Well, obvious to me, anyway.

EXCERPT #10:

“Diana?” a voice said on the other end, sounding interested. “What’s going on?”

“Call an emergency meeting for tonight,” she instructed him in clipped tones. “I want to tell you all about Top Copy’s newest explosive expose.”

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink