Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Between the Pages TOC

For those in the Mid-West and Eastern states, needing something to do while being snowed in.

I just wanted to remind readers that in this story, Superman didn’t pretend that he had been affected by the Revenge perfume and, therefore, didn’t kiss Lois at the airport (in front of Lex Luthor) after Miranda was apprehended. This is why there were only a combined four kisses between them (not counting the kiss from right before they entered the cab in this final scene, which would make five). One – Trask’s Plane. Two – Heat Wave departure. Three – at the Lexor. Four – Nightfall kiss (as Superman), Five – Just moments before.

Also, in case you hadn’t guessed from my borrowing one of the lines from the song, this plot was inspired by the J. Geils Band’s “Centerfold”.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 01/23/16 09:19 PM. Reason: fixed added link

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Cute repartee between the two of them to end this story. smile And by ending it where you have, you could certainly write a sequel which features a revelation. Thanks for the entertaining story! thumbsup

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
groobie Thanks for reading.

Cute repartee between the two of them to end this story. smile
Thanks. It wouldn't be any fun to write L&C without the banter.

And by ending it where you have, you could certainly write a sequel which features a revelation.
I could. I like the open-endness of this ending though. Lois knows in advance that Clark has been keeping something from her, so in a way that will soften the blow. My beta suggested a different approach. She wanted to read about the one-hundred sixty-four kisses he didn't count from PML. (I reduced the number by 100 for the final draft -- as we both surmised that Clark's willpower probably couldn't withstand THAT many.)

Thanks for the entertaining story! thumbsup
You're welcome. smile1

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
She wanted to read about the one-hundred sixty-four kisses he didn't count from PML.
Ooooh! That sounds fun!!! smile1

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And now for the conclusion.
LEX: Why is there a black opening painted on that wall?

Clark and Lois stood across the street from the Daily Planet, looking up at the globe spinning above the entrance to the newspaper building.
Wouldn’t it be awkward if Lex managed to blow up the Planet right at this moment, with the logo going first up in pieces?
LOIS: cat ‘Awkward’?

“We did it!” Lois announced. “We managed to prove that Lex was about to blow up the Daily Planet. Good job, Kent!”
About to?

“Thank you, Lane,” he replied. “We couldn’t have done it without you!”
Lane? Is there another bomb hidden somewhere and Clark can’t get any closer?

He patted her hand and smiled. “Of course not. With your assistance, we were able to speed up the discovery process ten-fold; however, without your help, I’m sure the guys and I would’ve eventually come up with enough evidence on our own…”
But not in time to prevent the Planet from going boom.

“Oh, so you’re saying that I was useless.
Careful now…

That I would’ve better served the team as a damsel in distress for you to rescue at the last second, an unknowing idiot in a white dress willing to marry one of the biggest crime bosses Metropolis has ever seen,” she said, jerking her hand free.
Well…that *was* what the nice TV lady said.

“You could never be useless, Lois. It goes against your DNA,” Clark replied.
What if we put her into a kindergarten group? You know, like in Kindergarten Cop?

She put her hands on her hips. “So you think I’m a gullible idiot then?”
To be fair, two of the men in her life have been lying to her for an extended period of time and she hasn’t had a clue for a very long time despite very glaring warning signs.

“Never once crossed my mind,” Clark insisted. Stubborn woman who never listens to reason, on the other hand…
laugh But why isn’t he saying that? Is this Clark broken or something? /checks warranty label/

“I know. I know. I got myself into another federal disaster of a relationship,” she said, ticking the numbers off on her fingers. “Firstly, he lied to me. Secondly, he hid his true self, his true nature from me. Thirdly, he was willing to humiliate me on a national scale by releasing those photographs.”

“I would never do something like that,” Clark said,
Actually, he is doing the first two and he would allow her to be presented as a home wrecker and despicable cheat just to keep his own image clean.

“Even if you could embarrass me on a national scale, I doubt you would’ve tried to use those naked negatives against me,” she said.
No, those are for private use only.

“You weren’t naked in them,” Clark reminded her.

Her jaw dropped. “You didn’t look?”
confused Oh, because he hasn’t seen those where she was?
CLARK: wallbash

He ran an exhausted hand down his face. There was no winning here, was there? Of course he had looked and, no, she hadn’t been fully nude in those pictures.
jawdrop

“If you ever wanted to show me what you looked like…uh… without clothes on, I’m sure you would take me to a motel room… or someplace private and remove them,” he teased.
clap Like his apartment and first she’d put on a harem’s costume?

Her gaze narrowed.

That had sounded funnier in his head.
You mean, like when George Lucas wanted Han Solo to say something and Harrison Ford gently discouraged him from putting written stuff verbatim on film?

“Shall we go now?”
shock

“What? No!”

“You don’t want to see me naked, Clark?” she asked.
[Linked Image]

“No, of course I do.”
laugh

Could he ever talk himself out of this hole? “I love you for your mind, not just your body.”
[Linked Image] he just called her fat.

The way you always admit it when I’m wrong.”
rotflol

“And I love that you only admit that you love me as a way to distract me from the fact that you want to see me naked,” she replied, moving them down the road.
dizzy Oh, look! A perfect Lois Lane.

“I’d also say that you’ve now lost your opportunity for me to take you to that hotel room.”
Oops?

“Oh, really? And how much would you have to earn for the privilege of seeing me naked?” she asked wryly.
Had the pictures ended up in LFI, 2 bucks?

Your desire to see me in the buff as well.
But she already wants to see Superman sans clothes.

“You know the typical things.”
[Linked Image] Some more dirt here, please. It’s pretty naked right now. Like Clark wants Lois to be.

“Well, that’s just… just ridiculous. Why would I want to do that?” Lois said, looking away, but not before Clark had seen her face turn as red as Superman’s cape.

“Oh? Are you saying that I’ve earned one of those already?” he couldn’t stop himself from saying. “It must be your respect.”
laugh But to be fair, that towel…

“Of course. That’s it,” she said, somewhat breathlessly and with overt relief.

“No, you agreed way too quickly. It must be your trust.”

They both laughed.
So, that would be ‘love’, then?

“If anyone could, it would be you, Lois,” he replied. “I just might end up telling you first.”

“Where would be the fun in that?”
She just gave him an out! Boy will she ticked off at Tempus now when he spoils the fun.

“Then I wouldn’t squander any time alone with you playing around with a camera,” he whispered.
But what about a picture for her as a keepsake in her purse? It’s not like goons would ever get into that one…

“I won’t make love to you until you know, Lois,” he promised into her ear. “I respect you too much to do otherwise.”
But there’d be nothing wrong with a quick romp in a stolen moment, right?

As her lips moved over his, the noise from Metropolis faded away and it felt as if suddenly he and Lois were alone on the street.
Uh oh. Do we have lift off?

“Do you always kiss women you don’t trust?”
Let’s see…Antoinette. Toni. Linda. Who else…?

“How many women have you trusted with this secret?”
Well…one.

She crossed her arms. “How many?”
Oh, that’s why he’s avoiding her. She just figured out a roundabout way to ask for his number. So, it’s actually an Indian concept.

“To be fair, I’m not including the kisses…” All sixty-four of them. “— you gave me when you were drunk on Revenge.”
rotflol

“Five.” He leaned back and grinned. He had photographic proof. The picture had been splashed across the front page of the Metropolis Star. His mom had shown it to him within her Superman scrapbook.
laugh

“I figured you out once before. I’m going to figure this out, too. Just you wait and see.”

He smiled. “I can’t wait.”
Oooooh! This certainly has a nice ending to it hyper

She wanted to read about the one-hundred sixty-four kisses he didn't count from PML. (I reduced the number by 100 for the final draft -- as we both surmised that Clark's willpower probably couldn't withstand THAT many.)
rotflol

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Awww love...very, very sweet!

I echo--awesome banter. I love how playful they are on the show together, and you really found that here as the story wraps up.

But speaking of wrapping up mecry --a continuation/revelation would be wonderful (hint, hint wink ). Or--have to agree, anything to do with all of those rebuffed kisses from PML would be oh-so-great, also hyper.

I'm so glad things worked out as they did. Lovely ending to an awesome story!
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 01/26/16 02:48 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Darth Michael: Thanks for reading. smile

And now for the conclusion.
See! I told you I knew how to come to one.

LEX: Why is there a black opening painted on that wall?
Umm....

Wouldn’t it be awkward if Lex managed to blow up the Planet right at this moment, with the logo going first up in pieces?
LOIS: /cat/ ‘Awkward’?
Yes, the correct word would be ironic.
TEMPUS: wave

About to?
Well, from the cut scene where Lex tells Mrs. Cox to plant a lunch box of explosive at Jack's workstation. Because Lois accepted Lex so much earlier, he didn't need to blow up the DP, but after she dumped him... he saw no reason to keep it on the books.

Lane? Is there another bomb hidden somewhere and Clark can’t get any closer?
Uh... no. She just called him Kent, so he called her Lane. Isn't that the way it works?
CLARK: Yeah! She started it!

But not in time to prevent the Planet from going boom.
CLARK: But we'd had Superman on our team, so nobody died.
LOIS: So, I'm equal to Superman? *thinks about this* I can accept that answer.
PERRY: [Linked Image] *MY* baby!

Originally Posted by ER
Originally Posted by BtP
“Oh, so you’re saying that I was useless.
Careful now…
You mean, this is where Clark usually sticks his foot in his mouth and screws up the possibility for premarital sex?

Well…that *was* what the nice TV lady said.
You mean that lady from canon?

What if we put her into a kindergarten group? You know, like in Kindergarten Cop?
I don't know. She handled her own during Toy Story.

To be fair, two of the men in her life have been lying to her for an extended period of time and she hasn’t had a clue for a very long time despite very glaring warning signs.
Okay, the person who agrees with Lois at this point gets to be called "galactically stupid".

But why isn’t he saying that? Is this Clark broken or something? /checks warranty label/
That's more of a fourth date admission.

Actually, he is doing the first two and he would allow her to be presented as a home wrecker and despicable cheat just to keep his own image clean.
Yes. Yes, he does. evil

No, those are for private use only.
Well, technically, he only would've had to look at the photos once, then disintegrate the evidence to do the job.

ER: /confused, thought Clark was male/ Oh, because he hasn’t seen those where she was?
CLARK: /wallbash/
No. Because they have differing opinions on what "nude" means.
LOIS: Well, I *felt* nude.

Like his apartment and first she’d put on a harem’s costume?
CLARK: Those terms are acceptable.

You mean, like when George Lucas wanted Han Solo to say something and Harrison Ford gently discouraged him from putting written stuff verbatim on film?
lol

Originally Posted by ER
Originally Posted by BtP
"It's a trap!"
Darn tooting!

ER: /oh, no/ he just called her fat.
Hence his line saying "that was worse".

Oh, look! A perfect Lois Lane.
And you thought she liked frogs!

Had the pictures ended up in LFI, 2 bucks?
They could still end up there.

But she already wants to see Superman sans clothes.
But she's talking to Clark.

Some more dirt here, please. It’s pretty naked right now. Like Clark wants Lois to be.
Thanks. I'll fix it.
CLARK: I *never* said that!
LOIS: Aloud.

But to be fair, that towel…
Wasn't see-through?

So, that would be ‘love’, then?
No, sans towel.
LOIS: Or just with the towel, for now. I'd be fine with that for a little while. Here, *digs through her clutch purse* I carry one for emergencies.
CLARK: Lois, that's a handkerchief.

She just gave him an out! Boy will she ticked off at Tempus now when he spoils the fun.
TEMPUS: That's why it's soooo much fun!

But what about a picture for her as a keepsake in her purse? It’s not like goons would ever get into that one…
Only Clarks from other dimensions.
ALT-CLARK: *looking through Lois's wallet* And this is him, with you, dangling naked from the ceiling?

But there’d be nothing wrong with a quick romp in a stolen moment, right?
Um... that there breaks them rules.

Uh oh. Do we have lift off?
No, just her Kryptonite eyeshadow.

Let’s see…Antoinette. Toni. Linda. Who else…?
He didn't kiss Linda!

Well…one.
MARTHA: wave

Oh, that’s why he’s avoiding her. She just figured out a roundabout way to ask for his number. So, it’s actually an Indian concept.
She just doesn't realize that's what she just asked him.

Oooooh! This certainly has a nice ending to it /hyper/
You're so sweet. smile1

Thanks, Michael!

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Laura: Thank you for enthusiastic response to my story. Your posts yesterday made my day!

Awww love...very, very sweet!
Thanks. [Linked Image]

I echo--awesome banter. I love how playful they are on the show together, and you really found that here as the story wraps up.
I don't think we'd love them the same without the banter. It's part of who they are.

But speaking of wrapping up /mecry/ --a continuation/revelation would be wonderful (hint, hint wink ). Or--have to agree, anything to do with all of those rebuffed kisses from PML would be oh-so-great, also /hyper/.
I've submitted a request for either of those to my muse. However, she just returned from a overly-long vacation (I wish she had taken me along) and has much work to accomplish on Wrong Clark. For now, my wonderful readers will have to let their own imaginations go wild.

I'm so glad things worked out as they did. Lovely ending to an awesome story!
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. smile1

VirginiaR.
---
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Well, your story made my day yesterday smile...

It's amazing how much of a wonderful escape these stories can be (I'm saying this having just discovered the 'lost' silly putty from last week...kids managed to get it stuck--completely hard and rock-solidly attached...to...the bottom section...of...our...living room slipcovered easy chair cry help dizzy crazy thud ).

Oy...

And so now I must go (to look up an online removal process grumble ).

Laura (who is thoroughly regretting buying neon blue silly putty for Christmas wallbash )

wave

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by LMA
Well, your story made my day yesterday smile...

It's amazing how much of a wonderful escape these stories can be (I'm saying this having just discovered the 'lost' silly putty from last week...kids managed to get it stuck--completely hard and rock-solidly attached...to...the bottom section...of...our...living room slipcovered easy chair cry help dizzy crazy thud ).

Oy...

And so now I must go (to look up an online removal process grumble ).

Laura (who is thoroughly regretting buying neon blue silly putty for Christmas wallbash )

wave
Ouch! Good luck, Laura. I wish I had some advice to give you, but I'm the same one who had brand new school clothes ruined after my son put a blue crayon in his pocket and it went through the washer and dryer before it was discovered. thud A very expensive lesson to always check pockets.

VirginiaR.
---
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh boy, Virginia, that would be frustrating wallbash ...

A really dull butter knife, some ice cubes, and an hour worth of patience (mostly) did the trick dance.

Laura (who did a thorough review tonight with the kiddos about the Messy Rules: "...food, markers, play dough type things all stay on the dining room table...". Now to see how many days the Rule is followed, lol help )

Last edited by LMA; 01/28/16 03:29 AM.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by LMA
Oh boy, Virginia, that would be frustrating wallbash ...

A really dull butter knife, some ice cubes, and an hour worth of patience (mostly) did the trick dance.

Laura (who did a thorough review tonight with the kiddos about the Messy Rules: "...food, markers, play dough type things all stay on the dining room table...". Now to see how many days the Rule is followed, lol help )
Congratulations on getting it off. I hope it didn't dye your slipcover.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

See! I told you I knew how to come to one.
[Linked Image]

LOIS: /cat/ ‘Awkward’?
EW: Yes, the correct word would be ironic.
TEMPUS: /Lois now dying 2.5 years sooner than originally planned is very ironic indeed/
clap

EW: Uh... no. She just called him Kent, so he called her Lane. Isn't that the way it works?
CLARK: Yeah! She started it!
Yes, but nobody ever called her Lane on the show. Including Henderson I think. Or the crooks.

CLARK: But we'd had Superman on our team, so nobody died.
LOIS: So, I'm equal to Superman? *thinks about this* I can accept that answer.
PERRY: /doesn’t focus on the important part of Lois revealing who’s wearing the spandex in the family/ *MY* baby!
laugh

You mean, this is where Clark usually sticks his foot in his mouth and screws up the possibility for premarital sex?
[Linked Image]

ER: Well…that *was* what the nice TV lady said.
EW: You mean that lady from canon?
Umm…?

I don't know. She handled her own during Toy Story.
Well, Clark challenged her back then, so…

That's more of a fourth date admission.
laugh Because he already scored on the third date?

Well, technically, he only would've had to look at the photos once, then disintegrate the evidence to do the job.
True. But couldn’t he just skip the camera then and watch Lois while she’s striking poses for him?

No. Because they have differing opinions on what "nude" means.
LOIS: Well, I *felt* nude.
laugh She wasn’t holding a Kerth Award?

They could still end up there.
Of Lex Luthor’s ex-fiancée showing less skin than they do on MTV and during the Superbowl combined?
SPENCER SPENCER: Pass…

LOIS: Or just with the towel, for now. I'd be fine with that for a little while. Here, *digs through her clutch purse* I carry one for emergencies.
CLARK: Lois, that's a handkerchief.
clap
LOIS: Oh, right. Here, some free shampoo?

ALT-CLARK: *looking through Lois's wallet* And this is him, with you, dangling naked from the ceiling?
rotflol

ER: But there’d be nothing wrong with a quick romp in a stolen moment, right?
EW: Um... that there breaks them rules.
LOIS: yes. Rules. This will be my new Rule #1. Uh-huh.
CLARK: [Linked Image]

No, just her Kryptonite eyeshadow.
clap

He didn't kiss Linda!
He didn’t? Are you sure? Not even when they were on their date?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Wow, I really enjoyed this story! It was heartbreaking due to the time period it was placed in, and just so sad to think of Clark working at the DP beneath a bossy, cold-shoulder Lois, but I love how even with all that angsty atmosphere, you were able to convey the easiness that's between them, the banter and the way they understand each other and can talk to each other. For all that Lois is closed off and Clark has a secret, they were able to connect incredibly quickly, and that came across SO WELL here in this story.

I was frustrated by Lois, but then, I always am when she's dating/engaged to Luthor, so that was completely in character, and I love that out of everyone she could have asked for help from, she chose Clark because she knew she could trust him. I also really enjoyed all the moments/scenes/dialogues with Jack, Jimmy, and Perry. Even though none of them were around for long, they were perfectly described so that I felt as if I could see them right in front of me.

Clark's sarcasm and humor are perfect here! I love it in the show, but it's one of the things I struggle with capturing when I write him, so I'm very much in awe of how well you are able to convey it in your stories!

Above all, though, my favorite part of this story is the conversation about the pheromone and how it did or did not affect Clark. As Lois herself pointed out, everyone affected behaved in a certain way, and I LOOOOVVVVEEE Clark's response that maybe he was affected, and he just displayed it in his own way -- and Lois's immediate translation of that to kindness and patience. He had the perfect response when he said that he'd been wooing her from day one -- though I admit I laughed out loud when he said "I woo differently." (It also makes sense when you think about what Lois did: basically, Lois woos by going over the top and making a fool of herself? So...really, Lois has been wooing both Clark and Superman from day one too? laugh )

Very intriguing story -- I was hoping Linda was the seller -- and the ending conversation left a lot of hope for a story that started out looking so hopeless!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
AntiKryptonite: Thank you so much for coming back to comment! jump

Wow, I really enjoyed this story!
Thank you. smile

It was heartbreaking due to the time period it was placed in, and just so sad to think of Clark working at the DP beneath a bossy, cold-shoulder Lois, but I love how even with all that angsty atmosphere, you were able to convey the easiness that's between them, the banter and the way they understand each other and can talk to each other. For all that Lois is closed off and Clark has a secret, they were able to connect incredibly quickly, and that came across SO WELL here in this story.
Well, it's only been a few months since Lois became boss. It wasn't this way in the beginning. That's why it was easier for them to fall back into their old friendship.

I was frustrated by Lois, but then, I always am when she's dating/engaged to Luthor, so that was completely in character, and I love that out of everyone she could have asked for help from, she chose Clark because she knew she could trust him.
Yes, engaged-to-marry-Luthor Lois is annoying. I'll agree with you there. She's never had many people in her life whom she trusts. Clark was one of the few and the easiest to reach.

I also really enjoyed all the moments/scenes/dialogues with Jack, Jimmy, and Perry. Even though none of them were around for long, they were perfectly described so that I felt as if I could see them right in front of me.
Wow. Thanks.

Clark's sarcasm and humor are perfect here! I love it in the show, but it's one of the things I struggle with capturing when I write him, so I'm very much in awe of how well you are able to convey it in your stories!
thud Thank you. That's quite a compliment coming from such a great writer! He gets his sarcasm from me. Probably why Tempus is one of my favorite characters.

Above all, though, my favorite part of this story is the conversation about the pheromone and how it did or did not affect Clark. As Lois herself pointed out, everyone affected behaved in a certain way, and I LOOOOVVVVEEE Clark's response that maybe he was affected, and he just displayed it in his own way -- and Lois's immediate translation of that to kindness and patience. He had the perfect response when he said that he'd been wooing her from day one -- though I admit I laughed out loud when he said "I woo differently." (It also makes sense when you think about what Lois did: basically, Lois woos by going over the top and making a fool of herself? So...really, Lois has been wooing both Clark and Superman from day one too? laugh )
[Linked Image] Perhaps. Subconsciously. wink

Very intriguing story -- I was hoping Linda was the seller -- and the ending conversation left a lot of hope for a story that started out looking so hopeless!
Yes, Linda was at fault. And so was Nigel and Lex (perhaps -- though he'd deny it). This way, ALL the villains of the story get blamed. *snicker* I know, a total cop out. But, really, this was a B-Plot story in an A-Plot disguise. Ultimately, who was to blame wasn't important; it was what the main characters learned about themselves and each other that was. I'm glad you liked it.

Thank you! This feedback was a wonderful shot of chocolate for my muse! Sadly, I'm off to go watch the new BvS movie, so I can't put it to good use at this minute.

VirginiaR.
---

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard