Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#268400 01/05/16 06:54 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Let me know what you think! grin Had a lot of trouble wrapping this one up...

Story

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Top Banana
Top Banana
Very nicely done Mouse, but then we expect that from you.

Cool approach to cover both Lois and Clark's life up to today in the terms of New Year's eve celebrations (or lack thereof). Nice idea since that day is so associated with where we are in our lives versus where we want to be. I love how completely you covered the important parts of their lives in such a short story.

Again super job.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Wow! Completely, utterly wonderful! clap clap clap

I love how you organized this story...how you brought us their 'life' when they were young, when they were teens, when they were together. How they grew, matured, created what they wanted out of what they were truely lacking. The growth was so exciting to see grin.

Lois and Clark, really, are so much better together love.

Such a pleasure to read--great, great job! notworthy
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Kerth
Kerth
Very nice story. Technically the millennium began on January 1st 2001, not 2000, but this is something that was pretty much forgotten at the end of 1999 so I wouldn't worry about it. Or make a joke about it, of course!

To quote Wikipedia:

In a 1999 episode of the American television series The X-Files entitled "Millennium", Dana Scully notes that the new millennium does not actually start until 2001, to which Fox Mulder replies, "Nobody likes a math geek, Scully".

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nicely done. I liked how you covered a bunch of years and flip-flopped between the two, without really mirroring each other. Sad how many of Lois' New Year's Eves turned out badly. But, in the long run, she wound up with so many more good ones. Very touching and well thought out.

One minor thing - the dates. Clark was born in 1966 and Lois in 1967. So on New Year's 1976 turning 1977, Clark would already be 10, not looking forward to turning 10, etc.

As a member of the graduating (high school) class of 2000, I can assure you that we were the real millennium class. wink (We made it official in our locker-room wall mural.)

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
This was the PERFECT story to ring in the new year!! I loved the descriptions of all of their various New Year "celebrations" over the years, though the contrast between them was heartbreaking at times. *wants to hug Lois and Lucy and punch Lana* And the last years, the ones with Lois and Clark together? Oh, my heart!! <3 I squeed pretty much the whole way through. laugh

~*Monica*~

"Being with you is stronger than me alone."
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The early years with the Kents were certainly better for Clark than the same years with the Lanes. I, too, liked the back and forth... even if Clark's New Year's celebrations weren't always that sweet.

Clark wondering who he is but excited for the future. Lois knowing who she was and knowing that life could only get better (as opposed to worse) and then proven somewhat bitterly wrong. Life with Lucy was certainly better than without any loving family around her. Clark broke up with Lana. Lois caught her best friend and her supposed boyfriend between the sheets.

I liked the first two scenes between Lois and Clark the best. Lois realizing that Clark is her best friend, and Clark being able to ring in the new year in Lois's arms. There was something perfect about the way Lois clung to Clark as if not wanting to lose that moment when she knew she finally had someone worth sharing her new year with, even if not romantically.

Lois watching Superman count down the last of the new year with their baby, only to have Clark arrive for the first kiss of the new year -- awwww! Very sweet.

I have to agree with Lois, her New Years only seemed to get better once Clark came into her life and started to share them with her. clap

Very touching, Mouse.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by Marcus Rowland
To quote Wikipedia:

In a 1999 episode of the American television series The X-Files entitled "Millennium", Dana Scully notes that the new millennium does not actually start until 2001, to which Fox Mulder replies, "Nobody likes a math geek, Scully".
rotflol

Last edited by VirginiaR; 01/06/16 01:52 AM. Reason: missing comment

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
I'm glad you were inspired to finish this story. I really enjoyed it. smile The contrast in their experiences growing up was poignant, but their life together as a family was beautiful.

Deadly Chakram: I graduated in 1990 - we were "The Class of the New Decade". smile

Marcus: Bwaahaahaa! Great X-Files quote! I will always remember New Years 2000. ABC was live on the air for 24 hours straight, hosted by Peter Jennings, showing celebrations from every time zone. I will never forget the fireworks in Moscow contrasted with the darkness of an African refuge camp, where everyone was already asleep because they had nothing to celebrate. Absolutely heartbreaking!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Mouserocks!

post a story that I've had half-finished on my hard drive for *coughcough* three new years now...
Three years? Now that’s nothing!

December 31, 1976
So, ten y/o Clark.

Clark couldn't believe it. Here it was, New Year's eve just barely fifteen minutes away, and he kept having to shake his parents awake on the couch. How could they possibly sleep?
He’s ten years old! He should be in bed shock

Perhaps they were all out at the town’s New Year’s party. Yes, that had to be it. Even in the sleepy town of Smallville, they had to celebrate the coming of the new year.
Somewhere around six in the evening in Smallville: Okay, folks! That was the New Year’s celebration in London. I hope you’ll all have had a fun night but its late now and we should all head to bed. Tomorrow, the fields must be plowed again and the cows taken care of.
LANA: cat

. The lights, the music, the entire display-- it was invigorating. He bounced slightly on the couch up and down as the last sixty seconds of the countdown began.
Maybe they should stop feeding him raw sugar three meals a day.

Jonathan chuckled and smiled at his wife over the top of their son’s head. As over-eager as Clark was, they still couldn’t begrudge him his excitement. Just seeing his eyes all lit up was enough for them.
MARTHA: Those damn New Yorkers. Why couldn’t they do a less exciting show? That way, Clark could watch the fireworks over the Tower Bridge at 5pm, like the rest of the normal folks. But no, it *has* to be Times Square. It’s an hour after our bedtime now, Clarkie, I’ll head to bed. G’night, sweetiepie.

He wrinkled his nose and uttered the obligatory “gross” at them,
laugh

December 31, 1977

Lois hid halfway up the stairs, twisting her unkempt brown hair in her fingers,
Oooh! Her 10th New Year!

The door cracked open briefly and a pair of frightened brown eyes peeked out at her. After ascertaining that it was only Lois, Lucy quickly opened the door wide for her sister before shutting it behind her equally as fast.
[Linked Image]

She could write, but what exactly? She wasn’t in the mood to write a story with a happy ending, and any poetry was likely to come out much darker than she intended.
Hmmm…1981. The height of the Cold War. She could write about a pre-emptive nuclear strike by the USSR on the stroke of midnight. That way, the sky would light up with more than fireworks. So…too dark?
LITTLE LOIS: [Linked Image]

Disappointment was apart of that, she had come to accept.

That’s just the way it is.
[Linked Image]

December 31, 1983

“Say cheese!” the photographer spoke with a grin.

Clark wrapped his arm around his date and smiled broadly at the camera. “Cheese!”
17. Hmm… Too early for Lana?

And as of last year, when he made varsity on the school’s football team, Clark had suddenly known what it was to be popular. And Lana finally noticed him again.
And she’s the welcome bandwagon for the team to jump on?

Time, and mostly that accidental winning touchdown that he’d gotten a couple of months ago in the playoffs game.
laugh

He saw his mother’s nose wrinkle slightly in distaste. He knew what she thought of Lana, but he also knew it wasn’t something he was prepared to get into now. “Don’t—”
She will be voted Pregnant Teen of the Year by the time it’s summer?

“You sure? You know I can slip you something stronger, if you need it.”
shock

Clark shrugged and spoke softly, but a glint of humor was in his eye. “It doesn’t matter anyway. Alcohol doesn’t affect me.”

Martha put a hand on her hip and pointed a serving spoon at him with a frown. “Excuse me, young man?”
laugh And oops? Also, that must have been fun, telling the 18-20 y/os that they’re not allowed to drink anymore but will be again in a few years.

It’s just… he’s not really moving that fast. I’m pretty sure he has no idea what he’s doing in the, uh, romance department, you know?”
Yeah, and she’s a bit of a fast one, huh?

“Well, would you go all the way with Brad if he asked?”

“And just to be clear, he is asking…”
laugh

Did he really want to be with someone who was only going to put him down all the time?
LOIS: wave

The look that materialized on Lana Lang’s face would have been priceless, if it didn’t cut him to the core. This was obviously not the conversation she had been expecting. “Wait a minute. Are you-- are you breaking up with me?”
LANA: cat He can’t do that, can he? I mean, I’m *LANA*!

Dawning seemed to read in Lana’s eyes, and her whole body language changed with a flip of blonde locks over her shoulder. “So that’s what this is about. You found out about Brad.”
A bit of a sociopath, isn’t she?

December 31, 1986
19 y/o Lois…

Lois stumbled along the hallway as the alcohol started to settle in a bit.
So, college party?

She steeled herself as she clumsily made her way along her path, determined to just get this over with.
What? Returning the booze to the air?

Sure, Paul had turned her down several times over since their first “date” a few weeks ago,
Oh dear. Self-inflicted drunkness + Paul + getting it owner with? She trying to have sex for the first time in a very romantic setting. Fireworks and everything? Wouldn’t it be embarrassing if they were…half naked and then she releases the alcohol back into the air all over him?

Thank god he wasn’t here to see her, but then again--

“EEEEEKK!!”
Hello Linda!

wide eyes and bottle blonde hair and skin and sheets, draped over none other than--

“Paul?”

He swore and tried to cover up. “Uh, Lois! I, uh, I was going to call--”
Oops?

She swung open the door to her room and slammed it swiftly behind her. As she unceremoniously deposited herself on her mattress,
clap Drunken Lois is fun!

1987 was going to be her year. And there wasn’t a damn thing anybody else could do about it.
Other than steal her story.

He hadn't known that, in reality, he had ended up helping a prisoner of the Gujarat government escape custody. Not until afterwards, when it was aired on the local news station.
So…oops?

He wasn’t sure if the owners and cooks really had that much experience with those various types of entrees, but he highly doubted it.
Like a restaurant selling Indian food, pizza, kebab, and local cuisine.

December 31, 1993
Lookie there!

Lois swung her hips to the music, her movements loosened and exaggerated by the application of one two many sips of bubbly.
laugh

An eyeroll— back to the Lois he knew. “It’s not a big deal, Clark. Can’t a girl come to her best friend’s rescue? You looked like you were being mauled.”
laugh

December 31, 1999

Lois groaned and shifted uncomfortably as her husband raced across the tv screen in full Superman regalia.
Sounds preggers to me.

”A lot of people are excited but nervous for the new millennium. Do you have any words of advice for the public tonight as we head into the year 2000?”
[Linked Image]
SUPERMAN: I also brought towels for everyone.

swapping stories with Martha and Ellen and Sam.
Jonathan? sad

*****THE END*****
Aww…Nice telling of some of their New Years.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Features Writer
Features Writer
Delightful story, and I also loved the back and forth between Lois and Clark's New Years.

Wonderful how both their New Years improved after they got together, and that they both realized and appreciated it. love

Thanks for sharing it!

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Yay! So happy to see your name on the boards again. This is a great story and well worth the wait. Paul was so cruel to Lois, but in the end she got a much better man!

Clark's breakup with Lana made perfect sense. The entire scene was very well written, with great sensitivity.

Feel free to write another cool story any time! dance

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Lol, thanks for the feedback all! I will admit, I'm bad at years/ages for some reason, so I'm pretty sure I was off age-wise on all of them blush Would it be awful to put the millennium slip on my eight year old self (or seven? lol no more math guys) peep laugh

Anywho. Glad you enjoyed! Hopefully I'll be in a spot to start posting more again soon.

And Darth Michael: you caught that little slip about Jonathan? sad Yeah, I didn't want to spend any time on it, but I wanted to slip it in there. Can't make it *all* light and WAFFy now, can I? wink

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
And Darth Michael: you caught that little slip about Jonathan?
Yep, caught it!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hi Mouserocks,

It took me a while to find the time to read your story, but when I finally did have a chance to do so, I thoroughly enjoyed it. You captured well Lois and Clark's changing attitudes towards new years, and I love that you extended the timeline right up to the present.

I'm just saddened that Jonathan apparently did not make it to the end of 2015.

Joy,
Lynn

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard