"Okay, cross Metro Labs off the list."

Clark dutifully struck out the name in question while Lois hung up the phone. The remains of an only slightly charred dinner remained on the table, courtesy of Lane's rapidly improving control over his powers. The boy himself was now actually at a friend's house, with the admonition that he was to come straight home if the day needed saving. "We've still got EPRAD and Wayne Tech left," Clark reported.

"Don't forget LexLabs," said Lois.

"Do you want me to cross out STAR Labs?" he asked, stepping around the subject.

"No," Lois replied. "I think that receptionist would change her tune if it was you talking to her. Tomorrow, if we're still here, I want you to go back with me." She paused. "Clark..."

He looked up from the list. "Yes, Lois?"

She hesitated for a moment. "I was just thinking," she said, "that maybe, if we do have to stay for a while, perhaps we could--" she was cut off by a knock at the door.

Lois and Clark turned to look at each other. The knock came again, more insistent this time. Lois followed Clark to the door and stood right beside him while he opened it.

"Mr. Kent, I presume?" A dark haired man stood on the doorstep, leaning on what appeared to be a gold-topped cane. He looked straight at Clark, his eyes narrow.

"Um, yes?" Clark replied, feeling slightly uneasy under the man's gaze. "What can I do for you?"

"I'd like to have a few words with you," the man said, "about your illicit affair with my wife."

Clark's jaw dropped. Beside him, he heard Lois gasp.

"You're mistaken," Lois suddenly said, before Clark could regain his power of speech. "Clark is nothing like my--Um, he's not that kind of person!"

"Bruce!" a voice called, and Clark looked up to see the woman from earlier coming up the path. She reached the doorway to stand beside him and shot him a glare. "Don't mess with him like that; it isn't funny! Didn't you hear how upset he was?"

Lois and Clark exchanged confused looks.

"Yes, dear," the man said, stepping into the house as if he owned it. His wife followed close behind. "But actually, Miss Lane, it's your partner here who's been mistaken. No hard feelings, though, right?" He tapped Clark's chest with the head of his cane, and Clark heard the whine of acoustic feedback. A close inspection of his shirt revealed a tiny listening device. He gaped at their two visitors.

"You were spying on me?!"

"I take my godson's safety very seriously," the man said pointedly. He limped to the sofa and made himself comfortable. "Shall we discuss that now?"

~•~