Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Since it's a new year, I thought I'd start a new book challenge thread.

Here's how it works.

1. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, by Judith Viorst

My 4-year-old niece handed this to me, climbed into my lap, and asked me to read it. Alexander wakes up having a bad day, and it just gets worse from there, until he wants to move to Australia. Some days are like that ... even in Australia.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
What a wonderful book with which to start the thread. It was one of my favourites as a child, and even as an adult decades later, I still think of it when I am having one of *those* days. The thought of it has often brought at least a small smile to my lips when I am feeling too stressed to smile about much.

I've sometimes wondered how it would be re-written if it were ever to be sold in Oz. To my ears, at least, "Some days are like that...Even in the United States" (or Canada, or ...) just doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
What a wonderful book with which to start the thread. It was one of my favourites as a child, and even as an adult decades later, I still think of it when I am having one of *those* days. The thought of it has often brought at least a small smile to my lips when I am feeling too stressed to smile about much.

I've sometimes wondered how it would be re-written if it were ever to be sold in Oz. To my ears, at least, "Some days are like that...Even in the United States" (or Canada, or ...) just doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Joy,
Lynn
There is an Australian version. I haven't read it, but I understand that it changes Australia to something else.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I figured they would have to change the story's punchline. The original just wouldn't work properly there.

I'm guessing the Australian version might say, "...even in America." The more I think about it, the more it strikes me as having a similar rhythm and feel as the original, and it would keep the faraway place in the story more-or-less antipodal to the audience.

A few years ago, I had asked Corrina about the book, but she hadn't been familiar with it at the time.

Joy,
Lynn

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
That was one of my kids' favorites. Anyone see the movie version?

Joan

Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks for starting the new thread, Annie. I would have done, as usual, but we haven't had the happiest start to the new year and I've been distracted elsewhere. It was nagging at the back of my mind, so you saved me one thing to think about!

I have already well started on my haul of Christmas books, so plenty to add - when I get the chance!

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 01/02/16 07:54 AM.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally Posted by scifiJoan
That was one of my kids' favorites. Anyone see the movie version?

Joan
I saw the movie. It doesn't bear much resemblance to the book, but is nevertheless entertaining (think of it as a fan film).

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally Posted by LabRat
Thanks for starting the new thread, Annie. I would have done, as usual, but we haven't had the happiest start to the new year and I've been distracted elsewhere. It was nagging at the back of my mind, so you saved me one thing to think about!

I have already well started on my haul of Christmas books, so plenty to add - when I get the chance!

LabRat smile
You're welcome. I hope your new year gets better.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
LabRat, I second Annie's good wishes for the new year. I hope whatever difficulties you are having resolve themselves rapidly and favorably.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Thanks, Lynn and Annie. I've expanded on this in Off Topic. Your good wishes are appreciated. sloppy

I hadn’t read as much last year as is my normal habit. Discovering the sheer pleasure of online apps such as crosswords, chess, jigsaws and wordsearch puzzles used up a lot of my free time that normally would have been spent on a book.

But opening up my Christmas day folder of new books has revived my delight in the written adventure. I’ve been reading like a hyperbunny, these past couple of weeks. <G>

So, let’s see...

Halo – Blood & Fire Book 1 – Frankie Rose

The main character in the story has no name, she is a trained fighter who wears a drug-laced 'halo' around her neck to keep her void of emotion and feelings for other humans. She has been trained since she was a child to fight to the death in the Colosseum of the 'Sanctuary' and after killing her best friend, her halo becomes unattached and the toxins that control her emotions no longer have any effect. She escapes the town and finds Ryka, or rather Ryka finds her, and introduces her to Freetown - a separate place where people live to escape the controlling nature of the Sanctuary. : Source – Amazon reviews

I was expecting a rerun of Hunger Games from this YA dystopian novel, but the arena fighting is quickly dispensed with in favour of our heroine finding her way in a new, alien world, trying to make sense of the lies she’s been told all her life. Given the way it ended, I was expecting something action-packed from book two and to be honest, I’ve been struggling with it a little. I may well go back to it though once I’ve exhausted everything else on my list.

Tuesday Falling – S. Williams

You’ve never met anyone like Tuesday. She has suffered extreme cruelty at the hands of men, and so has taken it upon herself to seek vengeance. She wants to protect and help others like her, to ease their suffering. A force to be reckoned with, she lives beneath the streets of London in the hidden network of forgotten tunnels that honeycomb the city – and this is her preferred hunting ground.
When Tuesday is connected to a series of brutal attacks on gang members, DI Loss takes on the investigation. A burned-out detective still suffering the devastating effects of the unsolved murder of his daughter three years earlier, the case starts to hit close to home. Because soon Loss will discover that Tuesday could hold the key to uncovering the truth about what happened to his daughter…

The setting and characters of this one were a little more gritty than I would normally enjoy. Despite that, it was intriguing and quirky and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Doctor Sleep – Stephen King

The brief spoilers about Danny Torrence being in a bad place made me a bit wary going into this, but I needn’t have feared. This was King back on top form. My one complaint might be that the True Knot – and particularly Rose - didn’t really seem to live up to their fearsome reputation, being far too easily and quickly stymied. But it was good to be back in Danny’s world.

The Stranger – Harlen Coben

I’ve always enjoyed Coben’s stand alone mystery novels and this was no exception. As always with these, there are plot holes to sink a battleship and some of the character motivations seem strange. But none of that seems to matter to me. <G> The plot was intriguing enough to keep me hooked. These are really the equivalent of the B movie TV Mystery of the Week. But sometimes that’s all you need to have fun.

The Waiting – Joe Hart

In the middle of the shattering of his personal life, Evan is thrown a lifeline by a friend and relocates himself and his disabled son Shaun to a cabin on a remote island. But something lives there that has dark designs on both man and boy...

I’m always on the lookout for a good supernatural thriller and this one was a freebie. I enjoyed it enough that I’ll definitely be checking out more from this author. He was able to envoke a fine sense of spooky claustrophobia with some genuinely jump out of the skin moments. Added to this was an emotional subplot that tugged at the heartstrings. Definitely a keeper.

Inadvertant Disclosure – Melissa F. Miller

It's been six months since an airplane crash altered the course of attorney Sasha McCandless's professional and personal life. She's now focused on building her solo law practice and tending her budding relationship with federal air marshal Leo Connelly, who helped her stop a madman.

When Sasha drives from Pittsburgh to rural Clear Brook County to argue a discovery motion, she finds a town bitterly divided over the issue of hydrofracking the Marcellus Shale. Outsiders from the oil and gas industry and environmental activists threaten to rip apart the community's fabric.

Then the town's only judge is murdered, and Sasha can't just walk away. As she works to find the killer, she must race to save the town before it fractures beyond repair.

A second outing for what’s becoming one of my favourite heroines. I’m definitely going to be adding this series to my must read list.

For the Memory of Dragons (Dragons of Eternity 2) – Julie Wetzel

What do you do when a dragon crash-lands in your backyard?
That's the question Terra's faced with when one of these creatures plows down into her cornfield. Should she help out the hunk of a man the dragon turns into, or turn him over to the trigger-happy 'authorities' that have come looking for him? The deciding factor—he has no memory. Giving him up just doesn't seem right… at least until she knows the truth of who he is.
Alex has forgotten a thing or two—his name being one of them—but he knows there is something important that he needs to remember, if he could just get his battered brain to work properly. A little rest might help, but there's no time for that when the bullets start flying.
Now he has to follow the few clues he has to discover who he is, and why people are trying to kill him. But that's the easy part. The hard part will be keeping his hands off the lovely lady helping him

As I’ve said in the past, dedicated romance isn’t normally my go to genre, but, hoo boy, do I love dragons. <G> I enjoyed this second outing into the author’s dragon world just as much as the first. The perfect light reading for Christmas Day.
Think that’s it so far.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
For the Memory of Dragons (Dragons of Eternity 2) – Julie Wetzel

What do you do when a dragon crash-lands in your backyard?
That's the question Terra's faced with when one of these creatures plows down into her cornfield. Should she help out the hunk of a man the dragon turns into, or turn him over to the trigger-happy 'authorities' that have come looking for him? The deciding factor—he has no memory. Giving him up just doesn't seem right… at least until she knows the truth of who he is.
Alex has forgotten a thing or two—his name being one of them—but he knows there is something important that he needs to remember, if he could just get his battered brain to work properly. A little rest might help, but there's no time for that when the bullets start flying.
Now he has to follow the few clues he has to discover who he is, and why people are trying to kill him. But that's the easy part. The hard part will be keeping his hands off the lovely lady helping him
Aside from the dragons, this sounds like a great plot for an L&C fic.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
2. The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant

Tells the story of Dinah, daughter of the Biblical Leah and Jacob and sister of Joseph. Dinah is mentioned only briefly in the Bible, but Diamant expands the story to tell of her whole lifetime. (The title itself refers to the tent where women would go during menstruation and during and after childbirth.)

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Cradle of the Gods (Soulstone Prophecy I) - Thomas Quinn Miller

A solid rather than an epic fantasy novel, but containing enough intriguing mysteries and interesting characters that I hugely enjoyed it. To the extent that I'm deeply miffed book two hadn't yet been released. laugh

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 01/11/16 10:01 AM. Reason: typo

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#1 Mudbound by Hillary Jordan

In Jordan's prize-winning debut, prejudice takes many forms, both subtle and brutal. It is 1946, and city-bred Laura McAllan is trying to raise her children on her husband's Mississippi Delta farm—a place she finds foreign and frightening. In the midst of the family's struggles, two young men return from the war to work the land. Jamie McAllan, Laura's brother-in-law, is everything her husband is not—charming, handsome, and haunted by his memories of combat. Ronsel Jackson, eldest son of the black sharecroppers who live on the McAllan farm, has come home with the shine of a war hero. But no matter his bravery in defense of his country, he is still considered less than a man in the Jim Crow South. It is the unlikely friendship of these brothers-in-arms that drives this powerful novel to its inexorable conclusion.

I read this one a few years ago but re-read it for an upcoming book club discusion. This is not a feel good novel. But it does a wonderful job putting you into these characters' lives, seeing the struggles they're dealing with.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#2 Unwholly by Neal Shusterman

Thanks to Connor, Lev, and Risa—and their high-profile revolt at Happy Jack Harvest Camp—people can no longer turn a blind eye to unwinding. Ridding society of troublesome teens while simltaneously providing much-needed tissues for transplant might be convenient, but its morality has finally been brought into question. However, unwinding has become big business, and there are powerful political and corporate interests that want to see it not only continue, but also expand to the unwinding of prisoners and the impoverished.

Second book in the Unwind series. We start to learn more about how this situation arrose in the first place.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#3 What She Knew by Gilly Macmillan

Rachel Jenner is walking in a Bristol park with her eight-year-old son, Ben, when he asks if he can run ahead. It’s an ordinary request on an ordinary Sunday afternoon, and Rachel has no reason to worry—until Ben vanishes.

Police are called, search parties go out, and Rachel, already insecure after her recent divorce, feels herself coming undone. As hours and then days pass without a sign of Ben, everyone who knew him is called into question, from Rachel’s newly married ex-husband to her mother-of-the-year sister. Inevitably, media attention focuses on Rachel too, and the public’s attitude toward her begins to shift from sympathy to suspicion.

As she desperately pieces together the threadbare clues, Rachel realizes that nothing is quite as she imagined it to be, not even her own judgment. And the greatest dangers may lie not in the anonymous strangers of every parent’s nightmares, but behind the familiar smiles of those she trusts the most.

An engaging read. I wasn't entirely sure who did it until the end.

Joan

Last edited by scifiJoan; 01/18/16 09:36 PM.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
#1 - The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Thomas awakes inside a dark elevator which opens in the middle of large field -- called the Glade -- surrounded on all sides by several hundred feet high walls. He has no memory of his previous life except his name. He discovers that every month for the past 2 years, a teenage boy has been arrived here in the same manner. None of them know how to leave, but they all suspect the answer lies in the maze that lies just outside the walls. It's the Maze Runner's job to find that way out. With Thomas's arrival, life in the Glade starts to change.

Interesting book. I'm sort-of glad I saw the film first as I fear I would've been as lost as Thomas and the other characters to what in the world was happening. Curious though to know where this whole series is leading.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 01/19/16 02:02 AM. Reason: commas

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
3. The Church of Dead Girls, by Stephen Dobyns

A serial killer stalks teenage girls in a small town in upstate New York. As more girls disappear, the townspeople start to turn on each other.

4. Big Trouble, by Dave Barry

International weapons smugglers, Miami lowlifes, a corporation that engages in more graft than anything else, and some teenagers collide in Miami. The result is hilarious.

5. Last Act, by Christopher Pike

Melanie Martin, the new girl in town, was looking for acceptance and friendship, and she thought she'd found it when she was invited to audition for a murder mystery play. Then, on opening night, she fires three blanks and a classmate dies for real. Now Melanie must clear her name before the real killer catches up to her.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Blackout (Breakers #8) - Edward W. Robertson

The final book in this post-apocalyptic series which took a sharp turn early on into something even more interesting. Full of excellently rounded characters, action, emotion and heart, I'm really sorry to see it end. I'll miss Ness and Sebastian, Raina, Walt and their friends, allies and enemies.

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 01/23/16 02:01 PM.

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#4 The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood

In a future where our economy has collapsed comes the Consilence project where people lived in an isolated gated community where they are guaranteed food, jobs and money. One month they live in a home, then next month in prison, alternating back and forth.

Margaret Atwood has written some thought provoking postapocalyptic fiction - The Handmaiden's Tale, and The MadAddam series. Even though this setup didn't sound as intriguing, I was expecting far more. This story took perverse turns for no apparent reason. I do NOT recommend it.

Joan

Last edited by scifiJoan; 01/25/16 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Cryoburn by Lois McMaster Bujold.
Lord Imperial Auditor Miles Vorkosigan leaves Barrayar to go to the planet Kibou-daini to investigate a corporate scam, leading to a merry chase involving terrorists, cryopreserved people slumbering in their coffins, and much derring-do. Major events at the very end of the book.

Thief of Hearts by Teresa Medeiros
Regency romance, but too fluffy even for me, a long-time romance reader.

Pines by Blake Crouch.
Secret Service Agent Ethan (forgot his last name) wakes up with no recent memory, no wallet, no phone, no identification in the small town of Pines, Idaho. Why do the local law enforcement seem curiously unwilling to help him? Why can't he leave the town? What about finding the federal agent he was looking for, an agent found dead in a ramshackle house on the edge of town? Very mysterious, with an out-of-the-box ending.

Sword Sworn by Jennifer Roberson.
I was hampered by the fact that this book seems to be about #7 in a series and I had not read the previous six. There was a lot of referring to events in previous books, although the author did make sure one could follow along. It's labeled "The Final Adventure of Tiger and Del", the Southern sword dancer and the Northern Sword Singer. OK but not great.

Deadly Decisions by Kathy Reichs.
Third in the "Bones" series about Temperance Brennan, forensic anthropologist practicing in both North Carolina and Quebec. Tempe has to deal with biker gangs, drive-by shootings, and deaths of children. So far I have liked this series and intend to read more.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
6. Super Friends: Flying High, by Nick Eliopulos

I read this to my 4-year-old niece, and couldn't resist making comments while reading it. It opens with Batman swinging around Gotham City on a sunny day (and smiling). This is very OOC, and I said so. Later, a bunch of seagulls steal people's food at the beach, and this is supposedly strange behavior (no; that is completely normal for seagulls). I know it's a book for early readers, but I couldn't resist. Later, I heard my niece "reading" the book (repeating verbatim everything I had said/read). If she's anything like me, she'll re-read the book when she learns to read on her own and be very annoyed to find that I added things that weren't in there.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#5 Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

A friendship develops between two very different women: a 91-year-old woman with a hidden past as an orphan-train rider and the teenage girl whose own troubled adolescence leads her to seek answers to questions no one has ever thought to ask.

This was an enjoyable story. While I didn't always care for Molly, the story gave me insight as to what she was dealing with.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#6 The Last Time We Say Goodbye by Cynthia Hand

A girl struggles to cope with her father leaving and her brother's suicide.

What struck me most about this book was that this fictional story's setting was where I live. And the author had all the details right! The streets, the restaurantes, the mall. Turns out the author graduated from the University in my town.

Joan

Last edited by scifiJoan; 02/04/16 10:42 AM. Reason: accuracy
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
11.22.63 - Stephen King

I loved this. I was enthralled from start to finish. This is King on top form. Well rounded, believable characters you can root for and a plot with more twists than a twisty, turny thing - as Blackadder would say.

As ever with King, one of his great strengths is to make the ordinary - even the mundane - interesting. And, again, this was about a lot more than just a time travel tale.

I also loved the cameos. Christine up to her usual evil tricks and It being my favourite ever King novel, the cameo from Derry and especially the cute scene with Bev and Ritchie were a delight.

I've just seen this is being turned into a mini series. I'll look forward to that. Although the disaster that was Under the Dome doesn't give me hope. <g>

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 02/06/16 10:03 AM.

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S

I'm with you, LabRat. I think this was one of King's best works. As to a TV adaptation, if they just stick to the book, it could be good. But if they try to drag it out, I don't have high hopes for it.

Joan

11.22.63 - Stephen King

I loved this. I was enthralled from start to finish. This is King on top form. Well rounded, believable characters you can root for and a plot with more twists than a twisty, turny thing - as Blackadder would say.

As ever with King, one of his great strengths is to make the ordinary - even the mundane - interesting. And, again, this was about a lot more than just a time travel tale.

I also loved the cameos. Christine up to her usual evil tricks and It being my favourite ever King novel, the cameo from Derry and especially the cute scene with Bev and Ritchie were a delight.

I've just seen this is being turned into a mini series. I'll look forward to that. Although the disaster that was Under the Dome doesn't give me hope. <g>

LabRat smile

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
7. The Little Engine That Could, by Watty Piper

A train full of food and toys for children suffers from a broken engine. After begging several other engines for help and being rejected, a little blue engine volunteers to take the train over the mountain.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Little Black Lies - Sharon Bolton

I've always enjoyed Bolton's thrillers and adore her Lacey Flint series, but this one...hoo, boy! The Falkland Islands setting was interesting, but it didn't help alleviate the unremitting bleakness of the plot. Peopled with characters I couldn't much like and found it hard to care about and the final third was utterly farcical. Not one of her best. Very disappointing.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
8. The Last Vampire, by Christopher Pike

This YA vampire novel, written over a decade before Twilight, was interesting except for one thing -- the main character is a complete and total Mary Sue. Alisa Perne, aka Sita, is a 5,000-year-old vampire from India. She's Aryan, so she's got blonde hair, blue eyes, and looks to be the same age as she was when the first vampire, Yaksha, transformed her (about 20). She can jump so high she appears to be flying, has the strength of six men, and heals instantly (unless she gets decapitated or staked through the heart, in which case, she will die). She has been hanged twice and crucified four times, but she got over it. She was present for the building of the pyramids, the American Civil War, and the moon launch at Cape Canaveral. She has rubbed elbows with some history's most famous people, including Krishna, Socrates, and Bram Stoker (all of whom she decided not to bite). She meets a high school student named Ray (whose father she killed for getting too close), perceives that he is the reincarnation of her 5,000-years-dead husband, Rama, and transformed him into a vampire. She also meets a high school boy who is dying of AIDS and uses her blood to cure him (but not transform him into a vampire). At the end of the book, she gets staked through the heart when her house explodes, which one might presume would be fatal, but since there are about nine books in this series, I'm guessing she got over it.

At least Alisa/Sita doesn't sparkle.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#7 The Selection by Kiera Cass

I stole this one from my daughter's book shelf. A futuristic dystopia in which women are selected to come to the palace and vie for the Prince's affections. Light but fun.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#8 The Silent Wife by A.S.A. Harrison

A chilling psychological thriller about a marriage, a way of life and how far one woman will go to keep what is rightfully hers.

Initally I was expecting more traditional characters. Both the husband and wife has serious issues. While I didn't like either of them, it was interesting to see how the plot developed.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#9 Raise a Happy Teenager by Suzie Hayman

What can I say? I've got two teenagers. Nothing new in this book.

Joan

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
9. The Last Vampire II: Black Blood, by Christopher Pike

Mary Sue Sita, the last vampire, continues her adventures. She made her high-school-age true love into a vampire at the end of the last book, then got staked through the heart. Obviously, though, it didn't kill her, since she's the main character of the sequel. Also, it turns out that she and Ray aren't the last vampires, since somebody is making cruel, vicious vampires in L.A. Sita must stop them, because they're a threat to humanity. As such, she and Ray go to L.A., where Ray promptly gets himself killed. At the end of this one, Sita is slowly dying while she makes an FBI agent into a vampire. Since there are approximately seven more books in the series, I'm guessing she gets over it again. (Seriously, the books are entertaining enough to keep reading them, but Sita is definitely a Mary Sue.)

10. Sooner or Later, by Elizabeth Adler

I just couldn't get into this book, and it took me months to finish it. A mentally ill serial killer stalks his relatives with vengeance and money on his mind.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#10 Saving Grace by Jane Green

Grace seems to have a perfect life. After she hires a new assistant for her novelist husband, things start to fall apart.

I knew this would be in the lighter vein but some of the plot holes were just silly (i.e. she has no income and her credit cards are cancelled yet she has no money worries).

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#11 The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown

Nine Americans and their epic quest for gold at the 1936 Olympics.

I wasn't sure I was going to get through this one. The writing was dense, with lots of little details. It was interesting getting the perspective of life at that time and all the obsticles these men faced. Some of the passages about rowing got a bit long.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#12 The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain

The unfinished letter is the only clue Tara and Emerson have to the reason behind their close friend Noelle's suicide. Everything they knew about Noelle—her calling as a midwife, her passion for causes, her love for her friends and family—described a woman who embraced life.

Yet there was so much they didn't know.

An entertaining story but it pushed credibility in several instances. I've enjoyed other books by this author more.

Joan

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
11. Dave Barry Hits Below the Beltway, by Dave Barry

Since it's the silly season (aka an election year), I decided to reread this book. It's funny and spot-on.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
12. The Last Vampire 3: Red Dice, by Christopher Pike

Sita Sue, having survived her near-death cliffhanger at the end of the last book, continues her reign of awesomeness by getting into a fight with the LAPD, helped by the former FBI agent she made into a vampire at the end of the last book. She wins, of course, steals a helicopter, and flies off toward the mountains/desert in it. Instead of using common sense and going somewhere close enough for the helicopter to make it (in this case Big Bear or Lake Arrowhead), she tries to fly to Lake Mead in Nevada because it's warmer than the mountains. This does not work out well, and it causes the rest of the story to happen (which involves a mad general, a 700-year-old vampire hybrid who was once a priest, and experiments on vampires). The story is pretty decent, but Sita is still a Sue.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#13 The Elite by Kiera Cass

The Selection began with thirty-five girls.
Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever—and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?

This is the second book in the Selection series. It's definitely light reading - good for doctor's offices. I'm not impressed by the main character.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#14 The Death and LIfe of the Great American School System by Diane Ravitch

A frank discussion of the damage done by No Child Left Behind reforms.

Joan

Last edited by scifiJoan; 03/10/16 06:24 PM.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Among Wolves: Children of the Mountain I - R. A. Hakok

Gabriel remembers the Last Day. He and Mags had been on a tour of the White House with the rest of Miss Kimble’s first-graders when it happened. They fled with the President to a long-abandoned bunker, even as the first of the bombs began to fall.

Ten years have passed, and now Gabriel is almost grown. He still lives deep inside the mountain, waiting for the world to thaw. But outside the storms continue to rage, and supplies are running low. The President says it will be okay, because they are the Chosen Ones. But Gabriel isn’t so sure. Gabriel’s their scavenger, and he’s seen what it’s like out there.

Then one day Gabriel finds a bloodstained map. The blood’s not a problem, nor are the frozen remains of the person it once belonged to. Gabriel’s used to seeing dead bodies. There's far worse to be found in any Walmart or Piggly Wiggly you care to wander into.

Except this one he recognizes, and it shouldn’t be all the way out here. Now all Gabriel can think is how he's going to make it back to the bunker and let the President know what he's found.

But Gabriel's troubles are only just beginning. For things are not as they seem inside the mountain, and soon he will face a much larger problem: how to get Mags and the others out.

A pretty superior YA PA novel which kept me intrigued all the way through. A likeable hero, lots of small mysteries that kept me wondering...it seems that book 2 hasn't yet been published but I'll definitely be buying it when it is. Although, refreshingly, you could pretty much read this as a stand alone.

The Farseer Trilogy:

Assassin's Apprentice
Royal Assassin
Assassin's Quest

The Tawny Man Trilogy:

Fool's Errand
Golden Fool
Fool's Fate

Robin Hobb has always been in my top five favourite fantasy authors list and my most favourite of her span of linked trilogies known collectively as the In The Realm of the Elderlings series have been the books centring on Fitz and the Fool.

So, I was delighted recently to discover she had embarked on a new trilogy dealing with these characters. As it has been some years since I read the others, I revisited them to get me up to speed with the small details, and they delighted and enthralled me all over again.

LabRat :)

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#15 Calamity by Brandon Sanderson

Final book in the Reckoners series.

David knew Prof’s secret, and kept it even when the Reckoners’ leader struggled to control the effects of his Epic powers. Prof has now embraced his Epic destiny. He’s disappeared into those murky shadows of menace Epics are infamous for the world over, and everyone knows there’s no turning back…

But everyone is wrong. Redemption is possible for Epics—Megan proved it. And David is just about crazy enough to face down the most powerful High Epic of all to get his friend back. Or die trying.

I noticed this book got mixed reviews on GoodReads. I liked it. My son did too. Lots of action and a very innovative story.

Joan

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
13. The Last Vampire 4: Phantom, by Christopher Pike

Sita, having undergone a procedure developed by a 700-year-old alchemist, is now human again, and therefore capable of reproduction. She becomes pregnant and gives birth 2 1/2 months later to a fully developed baby who almost kills her. Said baby grows to adulthood in just a few weeks. Amazingly, the baby's name is not Renesmee, because I think Stephanie Meyer borrowed everything else from this book.

14. Exile, by M.J. Friedman

This short novel is based on the LnC show, although I think the author may not have paid as close attention to details as the average fanfic writer. Superman is infected with a virus that doesn't harm him but can kill everyone in the world (and apparently all the non-human mammals, too). The point of this is to keep Superman away from everyone, allowing the mad scientist who created the virus to get his revenge (and make lots of money). Since this reads much like an episode of LnC, you can guess how successful that was.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Fool's Assassin (Fitz and the Fool Trilogy I)- Robin Hobb

After so many years between the rest of the series and this new addition, I approached it with a fair degree of trepidation but I needn't have worried. This was like visiting well loved old friends, with the addition of fascinating new characters to enjoy. I can see this new trilogy will become another well loved and much read chapter in the lives of Fitz and the Fool.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
15. Bubble Books! The Hippopotamus, by Berengere Motuelle
16. Bubble Books! The Clownfish, by Berengere Motuelle

Very short books designed to be read in the bathtub. My 4-year-old niece dropped them, dripping wet, into my lap and asked me to read them. So, of course, I read them (yes, I'm a pushover). They provide small amounts of information about the habitats of the animals in the title. The books originally came with matching plastic toys, but I threw them out after they got mold inside them. (The books are easier to dry out than the toys, so they're still around.)

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#16 All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

A blind French girl and a German boy whose paths collide in occupied France as both try to survive the devastation of World War II.

An engaging read. Makes you appreciate life as it is today.

Joan

Last edited by scifiJoan; 04/04/16 12:23 AM.
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
17. The Last Vampire 5: Evil Thirst, by Christopher Pike
18. The Last Vampire 6: Creatures of Forever, by Christopher Pike

Sita, the last vampire (except not quite) spends the first book hunting her 5-month-old daughter, who looks 20 and acts like Kali, the Dark Mother of Hinduism, in order to keep an ancient prophecy from coming true. Not all is as it seems, however.

In the second book (which was originally the final book in the series, until the vampire craze of the 2000s inspired Pike to write more books), Sita travels back in time to stop a great evil from taking place, then goes back to her origins 5,000 years ago.

At the end of the book, it is revealed that Sita's adventures were all written by one of the characters, Seymour, who is dying of HIV.

Kerth
Kerth
Goodness, what have I read this year? *looks up orders on Amazon*

Hmm.

Wings of Fire (part 1 to 8), the first four in German. My daughter got me into it, and in German, only the first 4 novels are available. Of course, the first big story arc ends with part 5. Which means that we both switched language then. I must confess I'm pretty proud of my daughter, since this was the first time she read anything in English and did quite well. Amazing series, even though it's most definitely not adult material.

The Pride Series (book 1 to 9) by Shelly Laurenston. Once again in my native German, as my mother enjoyed those books, too - and she never learned English, so... wink The first two (or so) books are a bit too much into the nether regions, but the series gets much better afterwards.

Star Wolf by Kathryn Lasky. Another children's book, or maybe for teens. Once again, my daughter got me into the series. I must admit I didn't like this issue much.

Currently re-reading: "Fifty Shades of Grey". If you haven't read it - do it. Can definitely compare to our best writers on the dark side, although I have to admit that it's a bit different due to the BDSM theme chosen.

ETA: That makes 18 books read this year - thus far.

Last edited by Lara Joelle Kent; 04/07/16 04:39 PM.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
19. Snow on the Bayou, by Sandra Hill

This is the latest book in Sandra Hill's Cajun series, and it also crosses over briefly with her Viking II series. This is also the second book in the Tante Lulu series.

Navy SEAL Justin "Cage" LeBlanc swore that there would be "snow on the bayou" before he returned to Louisiana, but news that his grandmother is dying brings him back. His childhood sweetheart, Emelie Gaudet, had her heart broken by him almost 20 years ago and wants nothing to do with him. Of course, Tante Lulu, matchmaker extraordinaire, has a different idea ...

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#17 Unsouled by Neil Schusterman

Third in Unwind series. We learn more about what lead to unwinding. I'm not thrilled with the characters but I'm interested in seeing how this concept plays out.

Joan

Last edited by scifiJoan; 04/09/16 10:53 PM.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#18 The Perfect Mother by Nina Darnton

When an American exchange student is accused of murder, her mother will stop at nothing to save her.

While there are some similariites to the Amanda Knox case, this fictional story focuses on the girl's parents. At first they believe she is competely innocent as she claimes. Then more and more information builds up. I found myself not especially liking the characters but it was an interesting read.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#19 Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger

A story about a boy, a small town and a murder .

Nice coming of age story and so many references to grace.

Joan

Kerth
Kerth
"Hamilton: The Revolution" by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jeremy McCarter

A hip-hop musical about America's first Secretary of the Treasury? Is this a joke? No! "Hamilton" is EVERYTHING!!!!!

My tickets are for the end of July. Waiting is torture. I listen to at least one song from it in my car every day. Seriously. It's brilliant. Go to Youtube right now and listen to "Wait For It" and "Burn", and it will shatter your preconceived notions. Then download the original cast album and become obsessed like the rest of us. Then cry that you can't get tickets on Broadway, but start checking to see if the tour will come anywhere near where you live or would like to visit.

And then read the book. Because it's the behind the scenes story of the musical that is everything, and you'll appreciate the genius of Lin-Manuel Miranda even more. Feel free to check out the reviews on Amazon...and then notice that it came out yesterday and is already out of stock (just like the Broadway tickets). Yes, a hip-hop musical is encouraging Americans to read! (Gasp!)

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally Posted by groobie
"Hamilton: The Revolution" by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jeremy McCarter

A hip-hop musical about America's first Secretary of the Treasury? Is this a joke? No! "Hamilton" is EVERYTHING!!!!!

My tickets are for the end of July. Waiting is torture. I listen to at least one song from it in my car every day. Seriously. It's brilliant. Go to Youtube right now and listen to "Wait For It" and "Burn", and it will shatter your preconceived notions. Then download the original cast album and become obsessed like the rest of us. Then cry that you can't get tickets on Broadway, but start checking to see if the tour will come anywhere near where you live or would like to visit.

And then read the book. Because it's the behind the scenes story of the musical that is everything, and you'll appreciate the genius of Lin-Manuel Miranda even more. Feel free to check out the reviews on Amazon...and then notice that it came out yesterday and is already out of stock (just like the Broadway tickets). Yes, a hip-hop musical is encouraging Americans to read! (Gasp!)
For those who might be interested, it's coming to the Pantages Theater in Hollywood between August 11, 2017 and December 30, 2017. Also, never underestimate the quality of musicals performed at colleges -- in SoCal, at least, colleges aren't allowed to perform musicals that are being performed professionally in the region until the professional show is over for fear that the college show will compete with the professional show.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#20 The One by Kierra Cass

Last book in the Selection series. Will Maxon choose America to be his bride. Light and fluffy . Good for reading while waiting for doctors appointments .

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#21 Still Life by Louise Penny

Inspector Gamache investigates a suspicious death in rural Monteal.

OK mystery

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#22 Before I wake by C L Taylor

Susans daughter is in a coma after a suicide attempt . The more she learns, the more she wonders if she knows her daughter at all.

An interesting mystery though Susan continually using poor judgment drove me a little nuts.

Joan

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
20. Execution of Innocence, by Christopher Pike

A popular but obnoxious young man has been found murdered, while another not-so-popular young man is missing. The prime suspects are the twin sister of the murdered boy and the girlfriend of the missing boy, who cheated on her boyfriend with the murdered boy.

One of the girls is the actual murderer, and the other is being framed by her. The story moves quickly and keeps the reader's attention, though there's a giant plot hole 2/3 of the way through the book and there's a scene where the framee handles the murder weapon with bare hands, only to have this clue go nowhere.

21. Known to Evil, by Walter Mosley

The is the second book in Mosley's Leonid McGill series. I wasn't overly familiar with the author, but I'd read one of the books in his Easy Rawlins series in the past, so when a friend gave me this book, I took it to rehearsal with me and read it backstage, going through it fairly quickly. It's a good, fast-paced novel, and the main character is engaging. It's a good whodunit, and kept me guessing until the end. I am definitely going to look for more books by this author.

22. Tiny Titans, Volume 1: Welcome to the Treehouse!

My 5-year-old niece sat down next to me last week and asked me to read this. She enjoys the superhero adventures, while I like the in-jokes that only a long-time comics fan would understand. Anyway, the Tiny Titans are all students at Sidekick Elementary and get into lots of super-powered elementary-age hijinks (think JL8, except not a webcomic, and using the Teen Titans instead of the JLA). It's pretty funny in parts, and the bad guys aren't so much evil as immature.

23. Superman Family, Volume 1

I bought this for my 5-year-old niece's birthday, and she immediately wanted me to read it to her. It's pretty good, and Lois Lane is in it quite a bit (no romance with Clark/Superman, but this book is aimed at the very young crowd). Some parts are hilarious, such as:

Lex Luthor becomes an intern at the Daily Planet to try to find out what Lois Lane knows about Superman. He winds up being outsmarted by Lois and Perry.

Solomon Grundy keeps sending the members of the Superman family flying into the Kent barn in Smallville, scattering the hay everywhere. After cleaning it up multiple times, Martha drags Solomon Grundy by the ear to the farm and makes him clean up the mess.

My 7-year-old niece, who usually thinks superheroes are boring, was listening as I read and swiped the book from her sister to read. She thinks Lois Lane is a cool character (but she also thinks Clark/Superman is dumb because he's a boy).

Since my niece likes Lois, I want to introduce her to the LnC show. Tell me something, FoLCs, do you think 7 is too young for the show?

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#23 Matilda by Roald Dahl

I'be seen this movie many times and enjoyed it but never read the book . There are minor differences between the book and the movie but both are enjoyable .

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Divergent Trilogy - Veronica Roth

I wasn't expecting much from this - I only started it because it came as an Amazon freebie after I bought something else - but I actually enjoyed the first two books. The third was much harder to get through with long stretches of nothing much happening and endlessly repetitive. Given its downer ending I'm not sure it was worth persevering to get to the end.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
Agreed, LabRat. I read the first one after seeing the movie for free. I enjoyed it, and the second as well, but the third was a real letdown.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
I agree with both of you. The story had a lot of potential but I had problems with the concepts. And sometimes the lead character did foolish things. Some of the concepts like the fear landscape were cool in the movie. I haven't seen the second one yet.

Joan

The Divergent Trilogy - Veronica Roth

I wasn't expecting much from this - I only started it because it came as an Amazon freebie after I bought something else - but I actually enjoyed the first two books. The third was much harder to get through with long stretches of nothing much happening and endlessly repetitive. Given its downer ending I'm not sure it was worth persevering to get to the end.

LabRat smile

Agreed, LabRat. I read the first one after seeing the movie for free. I enjoyed it, and the second as well, but the third was a real letdown.
Groobie

Last edited by scifiJoan; 04/24/16 06:27 PM.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Vampire Apocalypse - Derek Gunn

I A World Torn Asunder
II Descent Into Chaos
III Fallout

I was expecting no more from this than schlock pulp horror but the writing was a notch above that and this was an enjoyable PA romp. Civilisation has begun to break down as an energy crisis looms. As societies crumble into anarchy, the vampires emerge to take control. I've already bought book 4.

The Vampire Apocalypse: Book 4 - Trail of Tears

The author seems to improve with each new book in this series. But now we've ended in a cliffhanger and I still don't know who the traitor is! Seems there'll be a wait till book 5 comes out. Hope it's soon!

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 05/01/16 06:46 PM.

The Musketeers
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
24. Thirst: The Eternal Dawn, by Christopher Pike

This is the third book in the Thirst series (the first two books consist of books 1-3 and 4-6 of The Last Vampire series). The series was originally finished around 1995, but was revived after Twilight made vampires popular again.

Sita is still a Sue, but it's toned down a bit in this book, in which she gets close to one of her descendants (from when she was human 5,000 years ago) and tries to help her in achieving her dreams. She also tracks down Seymour, who didn't die at the end of the last book after all, thanks to the advent of effective HIV drugs. She still deals with powerful forces that threaten the whole world, though, and she still disobeys Krishna's order not to make more vampires (though somehow she still has his grace).

After reading this far in the series, I have concluded that it would make a great series of graphic novels, but I don't think it's ever been done.

Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
25. The Children's Blizzard, by David Laskin

"Thousands of impoverished Northern European immigrants were promised that the prairie offered "land, freedom, and hope." The disastrous blizzard of 1888 revealed that their free homestead was not a paradise but a hard, unforgiving place governed by natural forces they neither understood nor controlled, and America’s heartland would never be the same."

This book tells the story of the "children's blizzard" of January 12, 1888, in which a mild day followed by a fast-moving, devastating storm blew through the Midwest, leaving hundreds dead, many of them children caught by the storm while they were at school. The book gives lots of details on the history and science of weather forecasting, the reasons the homesteaders had for moving to the plains, and what happens to a human body as hypothermia sets in (it isn't pretty).

I've tried to imagine such cold, but I really can't. I've never experienced any temperature colder than 13 degrees Fahrenheit, and that only once. I have gotten the impression that the 1880's were a time of harsh weather, judging from other books I've read like The Long Winter, by Laura Ingalls Wilder and accounts of the blizzard in New York City in March of 1888, and newspaper accounts from my own town of a tornado that blew down the one and only church here in 1888 (which would not have been terribly notable in the Midwest, but this is California; after that, it was a good 120 years before the town experienced another such storm).

26. The Star Group, by Christopher Pike

Three guys and four girls meet a strange man who offers to give them secret knowledge, an inner journey that will transform them into powerful beings capable of bending the world to their wills. In the midst of this great transformation will emerge a bad seed with a will more evil than a devil.

This book was okay, but the story was kind of rushed, and the author didn't spend much time developing the characters.

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#24 Undivided by Neal Shusterman

Final book in the Unwind series

Proactive Citizenry, the company that created Cam from the parts of unwound teens, has a plan: to mass produce rewound teens like Cam for military purposes. And below the surface of that horror lies another shocking level of intrigue: Proactive Citizenry has been suppressing technology that could make unwinding completely unnecessary. As Conner, Risa, and Lev uncover these startling secrets, enraged teens begin to march on Washington to demand justice and a better future.

Some interesting developments. Some issues were ressolved nicely. Others I would've done differently.

Joan

Last edited by scifiJoan; 05/09/16 05:08 PM.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Shattered Sea Trilogy - Joe Abercrombie:

Half A King
Half A World
Half A War

An enjoyable fantasy series. Not GOT deep but full of great characters. I adored Queen Skara and the hints about who the elf kind were. My only negative was the author's propensity - unnecessarily in my view - for giving some of his characters disgusting personal habits. I could have done without the repeated details on those! But I'll be looking into what else he's written.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
27. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Undead, by Don Borchert

Mark Twain once said “The rumors of my death were greatly exaggera—BRAINS!!!!!”

Pulled from the undead grip of Mark Twain’s rotting zombie hands, this is Tom Sawyer like you’ve never seen him before, in a swashbuckling, treasure-seeking tale spiked with blood, gore, and zombie madness.

This book was pretty funny. Now I need to re-read the original, which I last read when I was 7 years old.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Sharani Series - Kevin L. Nielson

I Sands
II Storms

I really loved this series so far. It held a lot of warm echoes for me of the first few books in Anne MacCaffrey's Dragonriders series. In a good way. The clans reminded me of the Wheyrs. And we had aviens instead of dragons. Hopefully the next books will be published soon. Can't wait to see what happens next.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#25 Barefoot Season by Susan Mallery

A young army vet, Michelle returns to the quaint Blackberry Island Inn to claim her inheritance and recover from the perils of war. Instead, she finds the owner’s suite occupied by the last person she wants to see.

To save their livelihoods, Carly and Michelle will undertake a turbulent truce. It’ll take more than a successful season to move beyond their devastating past, but with a little luck and a beautiful summer, they may just rediscover the friendship of a lifetime.

A decent light summer read.

#26 Where They Found Her by Kimberly McCreight

At the end of a long winter, in bucolic Ridgedale, New Jersey, the body of an infant is discovered in the woods near the town’s prestigious university campus.

Told from the perspectives of Molly, Barbara, and Sandy, Kimberly McCreight’s taut and profoundly moving novel unwinds the tangled truth about the baby’s death revealing that these three women have far more in common than they realized. And that their lives are more intertwined with what happened to the baby than they ever could have imagined.

Interesting psychological thriller.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#27 Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Mass

After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Interesting fantasy world and likeable characters. My daughter adores this series and she's thrilled I finally read started it. I'm planning on reading the rest.

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Indoctrination - John Harrison

This thriller was very much a book of two distinct halves. It began intriguingly enough but the second half was irritatingly rushed, lacking the care and detail lavished on the first. Add on a tacked on final couple of paragraphs there simply to provide a hook to buy the sequel and this one ended disappointingly, squandering the promise it began with.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
28. Girl in the Arena, by Lise Haines

This YA novel is set in an alternate America, in which gladiatorial combat is a popular sport -- and is completely controlled by a corporation, which hires gladiators (mostly men), encourages "Glad culture", which is celebrity culture taken up to 11, and changes the rules and bylaws to avoid having to pay out what was promised.

This book takes a rather scathing look at corporate corruption and celebrity culture. It's not a dystopian novel, but rather a look at a very plausible alternate reality.

29. Seriously, Snow White Was So Forgetful! The Story of Snow White as Told By the Dwarves, by Nancy Loewen

This children's book tells the story of Snow White from the POV of the dwarves. Snow White comes to live with them, but then proves very forgetful. She makes banana cream pie with no bananas, knits 10-foot scarves (because she forgets to stop knitting), and worst of all, forgets the dwarves warning not to open the door to strangers, thus allowing the evil queen to try to kill her, not once, but three times.

30. Noune: Child of Prehistory, by Michel Vaidis

In this children's book, which was originally written in French, a small boy, Noune, lives in prehistoric France (17,000 years ago) with his parents, Mah and Pah, and his older sister, Malina. Over the course of a year, he asks questions about everything around him, learning the lifeways of his ancient people, including how the caves were painted.

My parents just returned from a trip to France, and they brought this book back with them. They viewed a lot of ancient artwork, including a replica of the rock art of Lascaux. This book helps to explain that artwork, although in reality some of it was painted as long as 37,000 years ago and was rediscovered in the 1940s.

31. Invasion, by Robin Cook

An alien virus comes to Earth and starts infecting people, changing them into shells of their former selves. It reminds me strongly of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, only without the pod-people.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Triggerfinger - Jackson Spencer Bell.

Kevin is a local hero after shooting dead two men who invaded his home. But now strange things are happening. Violent incidents plague him, The Bald Man is harrassing him with claims his story of that night is false....did it really go down as he said?

I found this an intriguing first novel. Although I figured out pretty early on what was going on, it was still a fascinating journey. I read it in one sitting.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Shroud - David W. Moore

A group of priests try to engineer The Second Coming by cloning Jesus from The Shroud of Turin. They get Lucifer instead. Ooops. This one had shades of the Omen, of course, but a lot of it reminded me, too, of watching an episode of Supernatural. Perhaps because of, rather than despite, this, I did enjoy it. Even though the characters were one-dimensional and the ending rushed.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#28 the Fate of Ten by Pittacus Lore

Final book in the "I am Number 4" series

The Mogadorian invasion of the Earth has started. Can the Guard take down Sektrakus Ra and save the planet?

An okay ending to the series. I enjoyed the earlier books in the series more.

Joan

Just found out that it's not the last book which makes sense since it ended rather abruptly and left many issues unressolved.

Last edited by scifiJoan; 06/10/16 09:39 PM.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#29 American Girls: Social Media and the Secret Lives of Tennagers by Nancy Jo Sales

A rather disturbing look at how girls use social media the impact on their lives.

Joan

Last edited by scifiJoan; 06/15/16 06:00 PM.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Superman: Earth One: Vol. 2 by J. Michael Straczynski & Shane Davis

Finally got vol. 2! Clark adjusts to Metropolis, the Daily Planet, being Superman, and meets his new neighbors. Lois is curious about her odd new co-worker and does some digging into his past. Superman battles an energy-sucking Parasite.

[Linked Image]

I thought that Earth One, V1 was very similar to the MoS plot, but BvS deviates from this series COMPLETELY, so clearly it's not based on this series. Can't wait to see what's in store for Clark in V3.

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#30 Island Girls by Nancy Thayer

New York Times bestselling author Nancy Thayer returns to her beloved Nantucket in a highly emotional, wholly entertaining tale of three sisters forced to confront the past over one event-filled summer on the island.

Nice light poolside read.

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Scorch Trials by James Dashner - Sequel to The Maze Runner.

A very simply written book with a very confusing and complex plot. I'm still scratching my head over these trials, this time by "fire". Those who remained after The Maze trials are back, this time they know it's a test and they aren't alone. There's another group just like theirs, only all girls with one guy. The guys group is given a challenge, only it's insane. The girls group is given another challenge, equally insane, but easier to survive. This series will make you paranoid. Can't wait to see what they've done with the film.

EDIT: Saw the film. Just like The Maze Runner, it deviates completely from the book (hardly touching on the Scorch title). Even so, both films are better plotted out than the books.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 06/23/16 08:57 PM. Reason: Saw the film

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What Remains - Tim Weaver

David Raker has only recently been added to my list of absolutely can't miss detectives, alongside the limes of Jack Reacher, Charlie Parker and Myron Bolitar - and like them, he's rarely disappointed.

This was the usual rollarcoaster ride, with so many twists and turns, revelations and counter-revelations, I almost got whiplash. A joy to read.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Superman: Secret Identity by Kurt Busiek and Stuart Immonen

A boy named Clark Kent is raised in the small Kansas town of Pickettville. In this universe, Superman is a comic book hero and Clark Kent is tormented for being named the hero's alter-ego. (Thanks, Mom & Dad!) In his teen years, he discovers that he, too, has powers... Superman's powers.

The story goes from Clark having no powers to discovering powers to moving to NYC and to being set up on a blind date with a woman named Lois (who understands the jokes and teasing), and beyond.

[Linked Image]

I really enjoyed this look into a world where Clark had to create a life for himself with his powers in a world where everyone already gave him grief for having Clark's name. His and Lois's relationship is sweet and everything fans of L&C:NAOS would hope for.

If ANYONE has a copy of this comic, the library's copy had the most important pages (Pg 15-16) torn out... You know the pages where Clark discovers he has powers. wallbash Who does that!?! [Linked Image]

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Virals - by Kathy Reichs

Tory, a 14 y.o. girl, and her three male friends uncover some mysteries taking place on the nature preserve where their families live and work (on an island east of Charleston, SC). They set about to discover the truth and thus change their lives forever.

Kathy Reichs, well known author of the Temperance Brennan mysteries the show Bones was based on, dips her toe into teen novels with this first of a series of books. While this book is grounded in science, it does flirt heavily with science fiction. Tory is very reminiscent of a young Lois Lane, had she been more scientifically minded... especially on the B&E side of things to get at the truth.

VirginiaR.
---
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#31 The End of Sex: How Hookup Culture is Leaving a Generation Unhappy, Sexually Unfulfilled, and Confused about Intimacy by Donna Frietas

Eye opening book about hookup culture on college campuses.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#32 No One Knows by J.T. Ellison

The day Aubrey Hamilton’s husband is declared dead by the state of Tennessee should bring closure so she can move on with her life. But Aubrey doesn’t want to move on; she wants Josh back. It’s been five years since he disappeared, since their blissfully happy marriage—they were happy, weren’t they?—screeched to a halt and Aubrey became the prime suspect in his disappearance. Five years of emptiness, solitude, loneliness, questions. Why didn’t Josh show up at his friend’s bachelor party? Was he murdered? Did he run away? And now, all this time later, who is the mysterious yet strangely familiar figure suddenly haunting her new life?

This was an interesting set up which kept me reading. However, several aspects were just silly and the 'surprise' ending didn't make sense.

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by scifiJoan
#32 No One Knows by J.T. Ellison

The day Aubrey Hamilton’s husband is declared dead by the state of Tennessee should bring closure so she can move on with her life. But Aubrey doesn’t want to move on; she wants Josh back. It’s been five years since he disappeared, since their blissfully happy marriage—they were happy, weren’t they?—screeched to a halt and Aubrey became the prime suspect in his disappearance. Five years of emptiness, solitude, loneliness, questions. Why didn’t Josh show up at his friend’s bachelor party? Was he murdered? Did he run away? And now, all this time later, who is the mysterious yet strangely familiar figure suddenly haunting her new life?

This was an interesting set up which kept me reading. However, several aspects were just silly and the 'surprise' ending didn't make sense.

Joan
That's too bad. It does sounds like a tempting set-up for a plot.

VirginiaR.
---
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Seizure: A Virals Novel - by Kathy Reichs
Code: A Virals Novel - by Kathy Reichs & Brendan Reichs
Exposure: A Virals Novel - by Kathy Reichs & Brendan Reichs

Tori, Hi, Sheldon, and Ben solve more mysteries, including saving their group, dealing with a serial killer, hunting down kidnappers -- with the help or the hindrance of their new-found Viral powers, also while battling being outcasts, trying to stick together through the bad and the worse, (and being grounded - which never seems to stick), and Tori being forced to be something she's not (a debutante). All the while, Chance Claybourne (the quasy-villain from book 1), who knows more than he should, tries to figure out the Virals' secret.

Fun plots, despite Seizure's being the least believable and most fantastic of the three. Time passes slowly in the books, as only a year since book 1 has passed by the end of book 4.

VirginiaR.
---
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
If you're not picking about twist endings making sense, then you might enjoy it. I went to Good Reads and people were equally divided. Many thought the twist ending was pretty cool.

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Homeostasis Lost - Kyle Yauchler

A disparate group of people wake one morning to discover a huge solar flare has knocked out all power and must band together to face the challenges and dangers they face as a result.

Lightweight reading from this PA novel but a good group of characters you can root for made it enjoyable all the same. I've already bought book 2.

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 07/06/16 04:47 PM.

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Wolverine: Origin - by Paul Jenkins, Andy Kubert, & Richard Isanove

The story of how tragedy turns a privileged young man into Logan/Wolverine. The graphic novel differs from the movie adaptation.

A bit confusing at times, as the story is told by an outside observer and several of the characters are depicted/drawn very similarly.

VirginiaR.
---
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#33 Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare

A continuation of the Shadowhunters world following new characters, Emma Carstairs and the Blackthorn family. This author does a nice job of expanding upon the world she created yet introducing new aspects about it and developing intriguing new characters.

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Moving In - Ron Ripley

Brian and Jenny move in to their new country home, but quickly find a malevolent force is at work within it's walls...

Despite the unoriginal plot, this one seemed to be shaping up to be a decent horror novel. Unfortunately, it quickly disintigrated into an unholy mess with poorly drawn characters and a headlong rush towards its lacklustre ending. Disappointing.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#34 Boys Adrift: The five factors drivng the growing epidemic of unmotivated boys and underachieving young men by Leonard Sax

Well written book addressing factors influencing 'failure to launch' syndrome with young men.

Joan

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens

After reading Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations I finally decided it was time to read this masterpiece by Dickens. Despite the old-fashioned English this is a very timely story with fascinating characters.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#35 finding Jake by Bryan REARDON

A stay at home dad learns there was a shooting incident at his kids high school. Once he arrives he learns his daughter is safe but his son can't be located . Has he been killed ? Or was he one of the shooters?

Fast paced read. I've better novels on this topic but this one had unique features.

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Bones to Ashes - By Kathy Reichs

When working with a set of bones from the region where her childhood friend had disappeared, Temperance Brennan wonders if the bones could be that of her missing friend.

Dark subject matter, dealing with the kidnapping and rape of young women. The history of Eastern Canada that Tempe discovers is the only thing that kept me through it.

VirginiaR.
---
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#36 The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

A story about the relationship between four siblings and the impact the loss of a shared inheritance has on them. The characters weren't overly likeable but it was an interesting story about relationships.

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
[Linked Image] World Without A Superman - by many, many DC writers and artists

The follow up to the comic Death of Superman. Many of DC comics characters from previous comics and plot lines are brought back to help revive and then bury (entomb) Superman, while Lois and the Kents are left to mourn Clark without revealing his secret. A very sad plot (clearly) with some hope towards the end.

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle by Betty MacDonald

Parents are given 'cures' to help their previously well-behaved kids stop being show-offs, bullies, whisperers, slowpokes, and such. Always interesting to read these stories written in the 1950s to see how much life and raising kids has changed.

On the Banks of Plum Creek - by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Having left Indian Territory, the Ingalls family moves to a dug-out in Minnesota along the banks of Plum Creek and tries to raise wheat. Laura and Mary go to school, church, and visit town for the first time. A 100 years may have passed but the types of people Laura meets are still around, the good and the bad. Again, interesting to see how much freedom and responsibility kids were given back then that they aren't now.

VirginiaR.
---
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#37 The best of Connie Willis: Award Winning Stories by Connie Willis

It's interesting to see some of the themes from her novels (the Blitz, time travel) in short stories.

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Superman: Secrets and Lies, Vol 2 - by Dan Jurgens, Jesus Merino, & Keith Giffen [Linked Image]

A story set in the New 52 universe. Clark is working at the Daily Planet, which apparently is owned by Morgan Edge (a man who cares more about being first, than being right -- no matter who it might hurt). Lois Lane works there too but, from what I can tell, does a tv show.

I didn't read the first volume; therefore, I was lost on some aspects of this universe. It seems as if Lois is older and wiser than Clark here and therefore, not a friendship of equals. She treats Clark more as a glorified assistant than a colleague. She also sets him up with her younger sister, Lucy (booooo, hisssss). Clark is also very unreliable as Clark, because of all that he does as Superman. As Superman, he battles an alien, Helspont, with very unclear motives. He wants to fight Superman for the right to be master of Superman and therefore Earth, but then set Superman up as the supreme being on Earth. huh Also, there was another alien captured and tortured by the Russians, who wanted him to be their Superman against his will. Clark has to decide if he should keep this alien here against his will to pay for his crimes, or let him return to his home dimension, since the alien was as much a victim in this scenario as those he killed.

While the artwork was clear and crisp, the storyline was all over the place, jumbled, and confusing.

The Death Cure (Maze Runner book III) by James Dasher

Thomas, Newt, Minho, Teresa, and the gang (those of which didn't die in Books 1 & 2) are back. WICKED claims they have a cure, but first they want to give everyone back their memories. Thomas and those from the Glade rebel.

I hoped that everything that confused me from books 1 & 2 would now be clear. Not really. The only hope for the future is one with no hope. Gee, thanks. Ditopia at its best. Disappointed.

VirginiaR.
---
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#38 Sweeping Up Glassby Carolyn Wall

A proud poor woman living in a small town in Kentucky uncovers secrets about her own life and the town about it.

Reviews coampare this book to "To Kill A Mockingbird". I can see the similarities. Olivia is a proud girl and essentially color blind in a society which, at that time, was not. There's alot of rich detail and the secrets don't let the reader down.

(added) Now that I think about it, some of the characters' actions and parts of the plot don't add up. But it was an interesting read.)

Virginia, don't tell my son, but I was disappointed by the Maze Runner series too. It just didn't make sense.

Joan

Last edited by scifiJoan; 07/21/16 09:00 AM.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Whisper of Stars -(Hibernation #1) - Nick Jones

The year is 2091. With accelerated warming and global population out of control, the survival of humanity hangs in the balance. On the brink of extinction, science delivers one last hope. Human hibernation.
Jennifer Logan is a tough cop in the newly formed Duality Division, tasked with enforcing hibernation. When she uncovers a memory, hidden deep within her mind, her belief in the system she protects is shattered. Together with an unlikely partner, and convinced that her past holds the secret to mankind’s future, she embarks on a dangerous search for the truth, one that rapidly turns into a struggle for her life.

A really enjoyable SF conspiracy thriller with great characters, edge of the seat action, and an intriguing future world. Looking forward to reading book 2.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#39 Half Bad by Sally Green

A world with white witches and black witches living amongst regular folk. Nathan has a whitem witch mom and an infamous black witch (that he has never meet). As a half, he is treated poorly . Interesting world .

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Todd - Adam J Nicolai

Without warning on a sunny June afternoon, all life on Earth vanishes. Reeling and alone in the aftermath, Alan and his son Todd scrounge through the ruins of civilization to survive.

Finding food and water is easy. Electric power is harder. But Alan has his own search, one he tries to hide from his son: after a lifelong struggle with depression, his scarcest resource now is a reason to keep living.

Through wildfires and tornadoes, as the deadly cold of a Minnesota winter draws closer, the two ask questions that may never be answered. Why did this happen? Why were they spared? They don't realize that behind the empty sky, the entity that did this still watches.

Or that its plans have only begun.

An intriguing idea completely ruined by repetitive introspection and awful characters. Alan was a whining, self-pitying, self-indulgent idiot. And if I hadn't been told Todd was eight I'd have pegged him at four or five, which would have made much more sense, given his lack of knowledge, behaviour and vocabulary.

I only kept reading for answers as to who had done this and why and what their end game was. What were the Blurs? What was the purpose of the Blue Star? Absolutely none of which was addressed at all.

A real disappointment.

LabRat smile

Last edited by LabRat; 07/28/16 06:46 AM.

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#40 Between Husbands and Friends by Nancy Thayer

Lucy met Kate when they were both young wives and mothers. In the years since, the two women and their husbands and children have become inseparable, spending every August together in a house on Nantucket. Lucy and Kate, each other's most trusted confidantes, have shared their secrets, from the mundane to the shocking--but there's one explosive secret that Lucy has kept to herself.

As August once again approaches, Lucy must confront the truth she has kept hidden all these years. Now, in the midst of an unexpected family crisis, she must make a decision that could shatter all of their lives.

Good, fluffy read.

LabRat - that's too bad about "Todd". The summary sounded pretty interesting.

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Black Virus - Bobby Adair

Alienated in a world where he doesn’t fit in, Christian Black survives because he’s different. Then the virus came, and made the world turn different, too.

Now people are dying by the million. Food supplies are short. Riots are blazing through the streets, and Christian’s only goal is to keep his family alive. But safety lies far from the city, and just getting out will be tougher than anyone knows.

In contrast to my last post this was an excellent YA PA adventure with a believable depiction of societal breakdown and an engaging hero. I particularly enjoyed how Christian was able to make the tough survival decisions without the usual moralising about it.

My only disappointment was that it was way too short - just a few chapters long. Seems it's a prequel novella for the main event. Looking forward to reading that.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Sky Child - T. M. Brenner

After billions died in the End War, a small group of survivors found refuge in the Crag cave. Cut off from the outside world, they have no way of knowing if they're the only people left alive. To ensure their survival, they split into four groups: the Hunters, the Harvesters, the Keepers and the Protectors. As generations pass, the population becomes more and more murderous. Killing is so common in the Crag that there are no longer laws against it. Sam, a seventeen-year-old hunter, was left outside the Crag as an infant. Believed to have been a gift from the Sky Gods, there are whispers that Sam is the Sky Child, the one prophesized to bring peace and prosperity to the Crag. Anyone special or different is a target for murder, and Sam is the biggest target of all.

A very enjoyable YA PA novel. Not bursting with action but a simple tale well told. Looking forward to the sequel.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Break No Bones - by Kathy Reichs

Temperance Brennan is in Charleston, NC this time, uncovering a string of homeless people who had been murdered. Nothing tied the bodies together, since they were so badly decomposed, except for one small thing that only Tempe finds. All the while, she has to deal with current boyfriend and her estranged husband butting heads.

Another dark gruesome tale with all the gory details included. Strangely enough, this story takes place directly before the last book I read by her. LOL. Who knew? (This is one of those series where they never tell you which order the books come in.) Always interesting. Kathy Reichs knows how to capture the darkness in a psycho's heart.

Terminal - A Virals Series - by Kathy Reichs and Brendan Reichs

Continuing where the last book left off, Tory realizes that there's another group of Virals out there... and Chance is one of them. Not only do Tory, Ben, Sheldon, and Hi have to battle this rival Viral group, but they need to so while keeping away from the secret government agency that's hunting all of them down.

I kept feeling as if Kathy and Brendan kept forgetting that Tory is only 15 in this novel. They treat her as much older in a way I found creepy (in the way her age never stopped the other characters from acting the way they did). Also, having the covert government agency (reminiscent of B39, BTW) cross those same boundaries without pause shows that in some respects our country hasn't changed much in the past 20 years.

Superman: For Tomorrow - by Brian Azzarello, Jim Lee, and Scott Williams
[Linked Image]
While helping save Green Lantern off planet, thousands of people simply disappeared from all over Earth, including Lois Lane. It's called "The Vanishing". Clark has to deal with his guilt for not being there to protect Lois (and everyone else) all while stopping a civil war in Africa (I think) from escalating.

Again, I feel as if the whole story wasn't told within the confines of the book. I don't know if there's another book in this series, but it certainly felt incomplete. I want to know where Lois and all those people went and if Superman can save them, or if they just died and are gone forever. As much of the story is told third-person (from another character's POV), we don't see much or any of Clark, only Superman. Lois is never even named as the Superman's missing wife. A depressing story in which Superman loses his hope and almost seems worse off by the end.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 08/01/16 02:11 AM. Reason: No almost about it.

VirginiaR.
---
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#41 Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

Second book in Throne of Glass series

Celaena Sardothien is now the King's Assassin. But she isn't loyal to the crown. She's not sure who to trust. Then an event occurs which drastically changes everything.

I'm not usually much of a fantasy person but this is pretty well done. The world building is interesting and I'm routing for the characters. I plan to keep reading the series.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#42 The Mandibles by Lionel Shriver

In the near future, the United States renounces the national debt and the value of the dollar plummets. We follow the extended Mandible family as they live through these changing times.

An interesting, if not disturbing concept. There was some lecturing on economic principles. Some I agreed with, some I didn't understand. The characters weren't overly likeable but it was interesting to see where the author would take this scenario.

Joan

Last edited by scifiJoan; 08/08/16 10:03 PM.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Drowned -Cyn Balloq (Drowned Series #2

Coe is one of the few remaining teenagers on the island of Tides. Deformed and weak, she is constantly reminded that in a world where dry land dwindles at every high tide, she is not welcome. The only bright spot in her harsh and difficult life is the strong, capable Tiam—but love has long ago been forgotten by her society. The only priority is survival.

Until the day their King falls ill, leaving no male heir to take his place. Unrest grows, and for reasons Coe cannot comprehend, she is invited into the privileged circle of royal aides. She soon learns that the dying royal is keeping a secret that will change their world forever.

Is there an escape from the horrific nightmare that their island home has become? Coe must race to find the answers and save the people she cares about, before their world and everything they know is lost to the waters.

An intriguing world, a heroine you can root for and action-packed - loved this one. I didn't realise it was book 2 until halfway through but it didn't matter. Looking forward to reading book one, which appears to be the story of Coe's parents and provides some backstory, so reading them out of order shouldn't matter.

Somewhat dismayed that there's no indication of a book three. Hope there is and that it's published soon!

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Night Girl - Amy Cross

When she starts a new job at Crestview retirement home, Juliet discovers that something unusual is waiting for her in an abandoned part of the building. At first, she think the mysterious Jennifer Mathis is some kind of ghost. Later, however, Juliet learns that Jennifer has certain powers that could be extremely useful.

Meanwhile, eleven years ago, a younger version of Juliet has to cope with the death of her mother. Forced to live with her father, Juliet discovers that she has some unusual talents. Soon she's embarking upon a killing spree, the consequences of which look set to remain hidden until the fateful day when she eventually enters Crestview.

The Night Girl is the story of a girl gone wrong, and of a girl who discovers she has a dark skill for murder.

An excellent, dark psychological thriller and possibly the best depiction of a psychopathic mind I've yet read. The author even manages to make the reader feel sorry for Juliet. She's a sympathetic character in a way I've not seen since Dexter.

Enjoyed this one so much, I'm delighted to see that this author has a large catalogue. Will definitely be checking out more of her books soon.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Peter's Sisters - LM Foster

Sue’s in the mental hospital and she’s only partially surprised. There had been that thing, that . . . interlude with her sister’s new boyfriend. When he’d started it – what possible choice did she have but to go ahead and finish it?

Bonnie wanted to be fair. Her sister had just snapped, and Bonnie reckoned that such a thing could happen to anybody. She’d almost gone over the edge herself once. On the other hand, what Susan had done, the things that she’d said . . . Bonnie wanted to be fair, but she wasn’t sure she could forgive Sue. Not for any of it.

I'm a bit nonplussed over this one. It wasn't my usual fare but I can't say it was wasted time because I did enjoy the journey. I have mixed feelings about the abrupt ending but part of me likes it and kind of feels it suited the story. <g> A weird one.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs

Kathy's Reichs first novel introduces us to Temperance Brennan and the other co-starring characters in her series (including Andrew Ryan). Set in Montreal, Quebec, Tempe is the only one in the ME's office to believe a series of murders are related. She has to fight against the old boy's club of the Montreal PD to convince the detectives she's not seeking glory, only the truth. She has to break rules to find evidence that links the crimes. In her personal life, she battling an old friend who keeps dragging Tempe into the dark shadows of her life.

I enjoy Kathy Reichs plots, although I skim over much of the violence and gory aspects and ultra-scientific jargon. Nothing is ever happy in Tempe's world and having read a bunch of her novels over this summer, I doubt it ever will. Tempe often reminds me of Lois in her self-justification for her actions.

Deadly Decisions by Kathy Reichs

Back in Montreal, Quebec, Tempe, Ryan, and the MPD are racing against time to save the city from a motorcycle gang war which is plaguing the city and catching innocents in the crossfire. Once again, Tempe's personal life and professional life cross paths with bad results as her teenage nephew Kit is in town and, against her wishes and advice, embroils himself into the city's motorcycle culture.

It was interesting to see Kit (Tory's father from the Viral's series) as an angsty teenager. I'm curious when and how he turned into a nerdy marine biologist. There's no evidence of that man in this story. Having watched my share of crime dramas, the Andrew Ryan motivation for his story line was somewhat predictable.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 08/14/16 04:00 PM. Reason: More

VirginiaR.
---
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S

#43 Half-Wild by Sally Green

2nd book in the Half-Bad Trilogy

In a modern-day England where two warring factions of witches live amongst humans, seventeen-year-old Nathan is an abomination, the illegitimate son of the world's most powerful and violent witch. Nathan is hunted from all sides: nowhere is safe and no one can be trusted. Now, Nathan has come into his own unique magical Gift, and he's on the run--but the Hunters are close behind, and they will stop at nothing until they have captured Nathan and destroyed his father.

Interesting developments between White and Black witches. Nathan makes new allies and a civil war starts.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#44 What Was Mine by Helen Klein Ross

Lucy Wakefield is a seemingly ordinary woman who does something extraordinary in a desperate moment: she takes a baby girl from a shopping cart and raises her as her own. It’s a secret she manages to keep for over two decades—from her daughter, the babysitter who helped raise her, family, coworkers, and friends.

When Lucy’s now-grown daughter Mia discovers the devastating truth of her origins, she is overwhelmed by confusion and anger and determines not to speak again to the mother who raised her. She reaches out to her birth mother for a tearful reunion, and Lucy is forced to flee to China to avoid prosecution. What follows is a ripple effect that alters the lives of many and challenges our understanding of the very meaning of motherhood.

It was an interesting story but I somehow felt I should've been more emotionally engaged. Some of the scenarios just didn't ring true for me.

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The Purge of Babylon Series - Sam Sisavath:

#1 The Purge of Babylon
#2 The Gates of Byzantium

One night. That was all it took. Creatures that once lived in the shadows, hidden from humankind, have risen, spreading like a plague across the globe over the course of a single night. Their numbers growing exponentially through infection, these seemingly unkillable creatures have swallowed up whole cities and collapsed unprepared governments.

Survivors call it The Purge.

Against all odds, a disparate group of survivors has emerged from that blood-soaked night that devastated the planet and reduced humanity to an endangered species. Among the survivors are two ex-Army Rangers, a businesswoman, and a third-year medical student. But surviving The Purge was one thing - staying alive is another matter entirely.

An action-packed PA series, full of well-rounded characters and a chilling, somewhat more original than the usual zombies, monster horde. I went through books 1 and 2 in an evening, staying up till the wee hours to finish. I've already bought book 3 but am trying to read other books in between to make this last longer. <g> Delighted to see there at least 9 books in the series so far, though.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#45 The Fallout by Tamar Cohen

Dan and Sasha are Josh and Hannah's closest friends. Everything changes when Dan abruptly announces that he's leaving Sasha.

This didn't go where I thought it might but it was engaging to read.

Joan

Top Banana
Top Banana
#46 Not Alone by Craig Falconer

Aliens exist, the government knows, and Dan McCarthy just found the proof.

When Dan McCarthy stumbles upon a folder containing evidence of the conspiracy to end all conspiracies -- a top-level alien cover-up -- he leaks the files without a second thought.

The incredible truth revealed by Dan’s leak immediately captures the public’s imagination, but Dan’s relentless commitment to exposing the cover-up and forcing disclosure quickly earns him some enemies in high places.

For his whole life, Dan McCarthy has searched for a reason to believe. Now that he finally has one, he might soon wish he didn’t...

Interesting book with a lot of twists. Combination of political thriller and sci-fi story. The characters resonated well with me and kept me interested through 740 pages of the story. The double twist at the end was an interesting way of wrapping up the story.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#46 Version Control by Dexter Palmer

Philip Steiner's life work is a causality violation device (a.k.a. a time machine). It doesn't seem to be working. Yet it is...

This was an interesting concept so I stuck with it through 500 pages. It had some intriguing glimpses of future technology issues. However, it never really came together for me. I had trouble buying into the main concept.

Joan

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Grave Girl - Amy Cross

I really enjoyed this quirky supernatural tale about spooky goings on in a small English village and the fiesty young girl who takes the job as gardener at the local cemetry, unaware that the Devil is buried beneath and the dead walk at night. Sharp dialogue added to the fun.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The Autumn Throne by Elizabeth Chadwick

Final book in the series about Alienor of Aquitaine, forget about Queen Elizabeth, she had immense freedom in comparsion to this woman who lived during the time of knights. Excellent writer!

Last edited by Morgana; 09/13/16 07:04 AM.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've only ever read a few of Chadwick's historical novels, picked up from charity shops, but I've always aimed to get more at some point. Agreed, she's excellent at envoking whatever period she's writing about and really brings her characters to life.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Magic of Thieves - C. Greenwood

A reasonably well written tale of Ilan, who, as a child, is reluctantly adopted into a band of forest bandits after her parents are killed by soldiers in a purge against magic. For some reason, though, I just couldn't engage with the characters and ended up not being much affected by their fates or having any inclination to read book two.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#47 Half Lost by Sally Green

Last of the trilogy. The Alliance continues to plot to overthrow Soul's rule. Nathan continues to learn more about his gifts.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#48 Truly, Madly, Guilty by Liane Moriarty

Three couples get together for a barbecue. And something goes really wrong. The story is told from the different couples' POV and jumps back in forth time wise: Before the barbecue, after the barbecue, the day of the barbecue. Frankly I was wondering if the build up was worth the wait. It was. I like this author and would consider this one of her better works.

#49 Out-takes from a Marriage by Ann Leary

A woman married to a now famous actor suspects that he's cheating on her.

I got this one on my Nook so I kept thinking it was going to be some sort of psychological thriller. It was not. I think it was supposed to be funny, though it wasn't. The author never resolved the conflict. This book was a waste of time.

#50 The Rumor by Elin Hilderbrand

Madalyn and Grace are best friends who live on Nantucket. Rumors start to fly about them during the summer, some of which are true, some are not.

This writer does a good 'beach read'. It was entertaining, though I felt two of the key conflicts were glossed over in the resolution.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#51 Blueprints by Barbara Delinsky

Caroline and Jamie are a close mother/daughter team. Trouble starts when Jamie is asked to replace her mom as host of the DYI show the two work on.

I've read other books by this author that I really enjoyed. Some of them dealt with interesting issues such as a mother and daughter involved in a car accident where the mother takes the blame for the daughter's mistake. This wasn't one of her better books.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#52 Passenger by Alexandra Bracken

In one devastating night, violin prodigy Etta Spencer loses everything she knows and loves. Thrust into an unfamiliar world by a stranger with a dangerous agenda, Etta is certain of only one thing: she has traveled not just miles but years from home. And she’s inherited a legacy she knows nothing about from a family whose existence she’s never heard of. Until now

Interesting YA time travel book dealing with an inter-racial couple. I'll read the next installment.

Joan

Last edited by scifiJoan; 10/17/16 04:39 PM.
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#53 The Twelfth Victim by Linda M. Battisti

Was Caril Fugate an accomplice or an unwilling victim during Charles Starkweather's murder spree in Nebraska?

54 If You Only Knew by M. William Phelps

What actually happened the night of Don Roger's death?

I was in the mood for true crime so I tried these out. Since I live where the Starkweather murders' took place, I thought that might be interesting. The story wasn't written that well and it wasn't overly convincing of Caril's innocence.

The second book was written better but it dealt more with the trial portion than the evidence.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#55 Tied Up in Knots: How getting what we wanted made women miserable by Andrea Tantaros

She makes a lot of good points.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#56 Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult

Ruth Jefferson is a labor and delivery nurse at a Connecticut hospital with more than twenty years' experience. During her shift, Ruth begins a routine checkup on a newborn, only to be told a few minutes later that she's been reassigned to another patient. The parents are white supremacists and don't want Ruth, who is African American, to touch their child. The hospital complies with their request, but the next day, the baby goes into cardiac distress while Ruth is alone in the nursery. Does she obey orders or does she intervene?

At first this book felt rather cliche. But the author was able to bring up some good points on the issue of racism.

Joan

S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#57 Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas

Third book in "A Throne of Glass" series

Celaena has survived deadly contests and shattering heartbreak;but at an unspeakable cost. Now, she must travel to a new land to confront her darkest truth . . . a truth about her heritage that could change her life;and her future;forever. Meanwhile, brutal and monstrous forces are gathering on the horizon, intent on enslaving her world. Will Celaena find the strength to not only fight her inner demons, but to take on the evil that is about to be unleashed?

I'm reading this series because my daughter loves it. I've never been much of a fantasy person. However, in this book, the writer tied together all sorts of wonderful things with plot and character so I'm looking forward to reading the next one.

Joan

Last edited by scifiJoan; 12/22/16 09:16 AM.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Harvester of Light Trilogy - S J West

I. Harvester
II. Hope
III. Dawn

In a time when technology gives you the choice of trading in your humanity for immortality, war has broken out between those who have chosen eternal life, known as Harvesters, and the last bastion of humans who view death as a small price to pay to retain their immortal souls.

As one of the few remaining survivors of the war, Skye and her best friend Ash struggle to live in what’s left of a post-nuclear United States. They elude capture by the Harvesters and simply try to stay alive in a world gone mad.

An above average young adult fantasy with good, solid characters and a plot that never flags. Skye can come across as a bit of a Mary Sue at times, but there is a good reason for it within the plot, so that can be forgiven.

The Bad Box - Harvey Click

Sarah Temple hopes to find a bit of peace and quiet when she leaves her abusive boyfriend, but instead she finds a world of horror. It’s bad enough that a sadistic serial killer and another maniac are both trying to murder her, but what’s worse is the mysterious Solitary One who controls both of them, a malevolent entity that the serial killer describes as a living darkness, a man and yet not a man, something that’s alive and yet not alive, something that wants to appall the world.

Trying to flee from the two killers, Sarah finds herself running deeper and deeper into a deadly supernatural trap, a place where people are buried alive, where ghastly apparitions mutter in the dark, where demented killers prowl, where a crumbling haunted house can drive its victims mad with terror, and where something buried for a very long time may walk again.

Very enjoyable supernatural thriller, densely plotted with good characters. I'll definitely be looking out for more from this author.

The Body At Auercliffe - Amy Cross

“We'll bury her so deep, even her ghost will have a mouth full of dirt!”

When Rebecca Wallace arrives at Auercliff to check on her aged aunt, she's in for a shock. Her aunt's mind is crumbling, and the old woman refuses to let Rebecca stay overnight. And just as she thinks she's starting to understand the truth, Rebecca makes a horrifying discovery in one of the house's many spare rooms.

A dead body. A woman. Old and rotten. And her aunt insists she has no idea where it came from.

The truth lies buried in the past. For generations, the occupants of Auercliff have been tormented by the repercussions of a horrific secret. And somehow everything seems to be centered upon the mausoleum in the house's ground, where every member of the family is entombed once they die.

Whose body was left to rot in one of the house's rooms? Why have successive generations of the family been plagued by a persistent scratching sound? And what really happened to Rebecca many years ago, when she found herself locked inside the Auercliff mausoleum?

The Body at Auercliff is a horror story about a family and a house, and about the refusal of the past to stay buried.

During the summer, Amy Cross quickly became my go to author for quirky supernatural stories. This is my favourite, so far. A genuinely chilling ghost story cum family mystery, with enough twists and turns to satisfy.

The Summer Queen
The Winter Crown
The Love Knot
Lady of the English

All by Elizabeth Chadwick

For my money, Chadwick is THE best writer of historical/historical romance novels, bar none. So it's a surprise that I've read only a couple of her novels till now. Something, I intend to rectify this year.

I tend to enjoy her romances over her true histories - in this batch my favourite was definitely The Love Knot - but whether its real historical figures or her own characters, she has the knack of pulling you into her world from the very first page and engrossing and enthralling till the last.

LabRat smile

The Musketeers
Kerth
Kerth
"The Pearl" by John Steinbeck.

My son will be in 9th grade next year, so I looked up the summer reading list so that he can start reading some of the books early while he's on winter break since summer will be busy with marching band practice. This book was short, so I figured I'd read it today since I had nothing else to do and then I'd be able to discuss it with him after he reads it. I will now anticipate his reaction to the book, because I know him too well:

"It was fine."

At this point, I will need to prompt him some more. wink

"Why do I have to read 'important' books? Why does it have to mean anything? It's obvious what was going to happen. Why is this book famous?"

At this point, I will be forced to rely on the mom standby, "Because." laugh rotflol

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by groobie
"The Pearl" by John Steinbeck.

Why is this book famous?"

At this point, I will be forced to rely on the mom standby, "Because." laugh rotflol
I think the first line of your description answers that question. It was written by John Steinbeck. (Disclosure: I don't recall ever reading this book.)

Harry Potter & the Cursed Child by JK Rowling

A sequel to the Harry Potter book series that starts just where the seventh book of the series ended and deals with Harry's relationship (or lack thereof) with his second son, Albus.

Unlike the other books in the Harry Potter series, this is not a novel but in script format (as is Fantastic Beasts, I so hear). It's a quick read (I both received and finished it on Christmas day). The plot is interesting, but skips around forward and backwards in time... which only makes sense as so does the plot. I found it a good story, but owing to the troubled childhood of many of the characters I was left asking who was "The Cursed Child" from the title. I would have preferred a fleshed out novel, getting more in-depth into the characters' lives, I did enjoy it. I only wish it hadn't been so quick a read. I'd LOVE to see the play, too, and see how the magic is created on stage.

VirginiaR.
---
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
#58 The Big Disconnect: Protecting Childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age by Catherine Steiner-Adair

This is a topic I feel strongly about and this book did a good job mentioning specific issues with the different ages for children.

Joan

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard