Clark turned to Lois with wide eyes.

"I mean it, Clark," she said. "Tell me what's suddenly gotten into you or, so help me, we're going to sit right here in this car until you spill."

He stared at her in silence for a few moments, then sighed. "Lois," he said quietly, "I think I might have cheated on my wife."

Lois blinked at him. "Clark," she said, "You're not married."

"This other me is!" he shouted angrily. He buried his face in his hands. "I never thought I could be that kind of person. I always thought that if I found the right woman to share my life with, I would treasure our vows every day! But if I've been cheating all this time--"

"Clark, stop talking about yourself in the first person!" Lois ordered. She reached over to put a hand on his shoulder. "Look, Clark, you're a guy, and so is this alternate doppelganger version of you. It isn't really such a..." She broke off when she realized that his shoulders were trembling. "Clark?!"

His breath shuddered.

"This is really bothering you, isn't it?" Lois asked, her eyes growing wide at the realization. She removed her hand and sat staring silently out the window. "What makes you think he cheated?" she asked, quietly.

"A woman approached me back there," he answered. "I don't know who she is, but she apparently knew me. She said some things..." He took in a breath. "I think we might have daughters."

Lois briefly turned to gape at Clark. "Could she have mistaken you for someone else? I mean," she added, "aside from the obvious you-not-being-you thing."

Clark shrugged. "It's highly doubtful," he said.

They resumed sitting in silence.

"Clark, I'm sorry," Lois said softly.

Clark turned to look at her in shock. "What?" he asked.

"For writing you off," Lois clarified. She turned in her seat to face him. "Clark, you're a good person. If that man really cheated on my counterpart, then I don't know who he is, but he's not any version of you."

"Thank you, Lois," Clark whispered.

Lois reached over and patted his knee. "Let's go home, Clark," she said.

"That house isn't actually ours, you know," Clark said, giving her a tiny smile.

"I know," said Lois. "Let's go home, Clark."