Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#268272 12/31/15 06:09 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I thought I would end 2015 with this bit of silliness. I hope it ends/starts your year on a smile. (Incidentally, Thalia has actually appeared in a previous story of mine: With Apologies to Female Hawk.)

As always, feedback welcomed.

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ooooh! Last one for the old year clap
A Dirty Story
That’s the wrong side of the boards confused

Clark smiled as he gently touched the smudge on Lois's nose.
Oh, *that* kind of dirt.

"No," I told my muse, "That wasn't what I had in mind."
Oh?

"Try the next one, then," Thalia suggested.

I move the top paper to the bottom of the stack and look at the next one down.
A-ha! Do I remember this correctly that we’ve heard of Thalia before/

Lois brushed at the glop on her legs. "I'll go undercover as a man. I'll go undercover as a hooker. But I will NEVER again go undercover as a female mud wrestler!"
rotflol Also, as a *hooker*? shock
Also, have you read Fighting Dirty by Nancy?

And what is it with all of these stories? Why is there so much dirt in them?"
[Linked Image]

Thalia put her hand on her hip, "Well, if you gave me a nicer place to work, maybe the stories would be better."
rotflol Bazinga!

"The locale isn't the problem. The problem is your lack of housecleaning.
laugh

All your dust bunnies kept mating with my plot bunnies, and these stories are the result."
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I wadded up the top story, but before I could throw it at her, Thalia disappeared under the bed.
clap

That was wonderfully inspired. You *are* going to have this made eligible for this year’s Kerths, right?

Happy New Year!
wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
That was hilarious!

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Very fun! Lots of Laughs here. laugh You've got to watch out for that Thalia. She's a sneaky one.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
LOL! Great little story. Lots of laughing over here. smile

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
I like Thalia.

Nice story, Lynn.

Corrina.

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
What a wonderful way to begin 2016 -- reading all of this feedback. smile

Do I remember this correctly that we’ve heard of Thalia before/
You do, indeed, Michael. In fact, you were gracious enough to BR the first (and, so far, only other) story she was in. (I put a link to that story in my post at the top of this thread.)

Also, as a *hooker*?

I took that from canon, or at least my interpretation of canon. I was thinking specifically of Angel in Resurrection; her cover in Wall of Sound might also have been a hooker.

Also, have you read Fighting Dirty by Nancy?
Read and enjoyed. I couldn't remember either the title or the author, though. Thanks for the reminder. I'm sure having read Nancy's story years ago was what made me think of mud wrestling while I was trying to come up with topics for first lines.

You *are* going to have this made eligible for this year’s Kerths, right?
I had been planning to save this story for possible nomination in the 2016 Kerths, since this year's competition is so fierce, but when you asked so nicely, how can I refuse?

Annie and Deadly Chakram, I'm glad you both liked it. I was amused by the concept, but comedy is tricky in that I never know in advance whether others will find funny "on paper" what I found funny in my head.

Virginia, I agree. Sneaky and sassy. But since she does give me some good ideas, I think I'll keep her. And since narrator-I is not exactly the kindest toward her, author-I doesn't blame Thalia for trying to get better arrangements. Author-I actually has more sympathy overall for Thalia than she does with narrator-I. Although she has improved since her first appearance, narrator-I really doesn't treat Thalia very well. (I can understand why Clark refers to himself in the third person, despite Martha's concerns. Sometimes, it is the clearest method of communication.)

Corrina, I'm extra pleased that you like Thalia, since (as you know) she first appeared in a story written in your honour.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

You do, indeed, Michael. In fact, you were gracious enough to BR the first
I did? blush /heads over to re-read/ Lookie there! And it’s even been in *this* decade. I must be getting old. [Linked Image]

I was thinking specifically of Angel in Resurrection; her cover in Wall of Sound might also have been a hooker.
Ah, yes. I guess. I’ll admit, I never made that connection, was thinking more like ‘cheap floozy’. OTOH, I did assume hooker complete with having to visit establishments in the red-light district. Wonder who she’d use as a John. I mean, she’d *have* to use a deflection-John, right? So, Clark? Jimmy? Both? And what happens when Clark takes her up to a room?

I'm sure having read Nancy's story years ago was what made me think of mud wrestling while I was trying to come up with topics for first lines.
[Linked Image] Funny bit about that story… /points at original story’s dedication/ Now I feel *really* guilty angel-devil

I had been planning to save this story for possible nomination in the 2016 Kerths, since this year's competition is so fierce, but when you asked so nicely, how can I refuse?
smile1

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
I must be getting old
Join the crowd. It's better than the alternative, though...

I’ll admit, I never made that connection, was thinking more like ‘cheap floozy’.
That is probably the intended interpretation, but it was left pretty open-ended.

And what happens when Clark takes her up to a room?
Knowing Lois, it would probably depend on whether she thought the story she was chasing was Pulitzer-worthy. But any complete answer to your questions would probably have to go into the nfic folder.

Now I feel *really* guilty
Don't. I had been trying to remember where I had read a mud-wrestling story; you answered the question. And this just goes to show that you have been a helpful BR. Thanks again for your assist on "With Apologies to Female Hawk."

Joy,
Lynn

T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
Ha! That was really funny. I always enjoy stories about muses and their inhuman behavior, especially when the writer the muse is trying to inspire skids into a brick wall when trying to follow up on the muse's starting points. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a beginning - even if it's just a title or a first sentence - and ended up staring at my monitor for hours as if waiting for the story to write itself.

Thalia sounds like the snarky class of muse. I think she'd get along very well with Psychotropia and Polyskitsodia. Of course, someone would have to referee. My muses have some sharp teeth.

(I actually typed "shark" instead of "sharp" the first time. Maybe they're whispering in my ear again. Or maybe it was a Freudian slip.)

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Join the crowd. It's better than the alternative, though...
Getting younger? wink

That is probably the intended interpretation, but it was left pretty open-ended.
Actually, now that I think about it, on the nFic Archives there are a couple of Angel&Spike tales that...well...they play into her assumed profession.

Knowing Lois, it would probably depend on whether she thought the story she was chasing was Pulitzer-worthy.
shock

Thanks again for your assist on "With Apologies to Female Hawk."
smile1

wave Michael

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Terry, the first time I encountered a meta-story involving an author and his muse was one of yours; it enchanted me.

I understand the frustration of a muse giving you only enough to entice, but not enough to really work with, albeit on a much smaller scale. I've held onto one line for years in the hopes of being able to use it in a story, but none of my stories have been appropriate for it. (I think I'll use this opportunity to share it. Someone says of season 1 Lois's view of Superman, "She worships the ground he flies over.")

I love the names of your muses; I do think our muses might get along well. I'm not sure whether I would be better or worse off if my muse had others to play with.

Joy,
Lynn

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh my! I completely love this, Lynn! clap clap clap

Again, I'm totally in awe of your creativity. Great job. Always thrilled when I see one of your stories post...

Laura (who's really enjoying playing catch up notworthy )

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Laura,

blush blush blush Thank you!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I must admit it was fun getting to write about Thalia again.

Joy,
Lynn

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Oh my gosh, I about fell over laughing at this story!! laugh Highly entertaining!

(Now I just hope your muse doesn't give mine any ideas... my plot bunnies are breeding perfectly well on their own! goofy )

~*Monica*~

"Being with you is stronger than me alone."
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Monica,

Thanks for the feedback. I'd offer to try to keep Thalia away from your muse, but more often than not, she doesn't do as I request. (Maybe I should encourage her to play with your muse, in order to try to keep her away. Have you ever heard Never Say No from The Fantasticks?)

Joy,
Lynn

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
Originally Posted by Lynn S. M.
Hi Monica,

Thanks for the feedback. I'd offer to try to keep Thalia away from your muse, but more often than not, she doesn't do as I request. (Maybe I should encourage her to play with your muse, in order to try to keep her away. Have you ever heard Never Say No from The Fantasticks?)

Joy,
Lynn
I hadn't heard that song until just now. But I definitely think it applies just as well to muses as it does to children! (Before you encourage Thalia to play with my muse, you should know that she's Susan Ivanova. Yes, that Susan Ivanova. laugh Might be dangerous if she teamed up with Thalia...)

~*Monica*~

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
"There's always a boom! No boom today? Boom tomorrow. Boom! Boom!"

(The above was from memory and might not be the exact quote.)

Yeah, that could get interesting... crazy

Joy,
Lynn

Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
"No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow."

And don't forget...

"Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out!"

(No, I haven't watched this show way too many times, why do you ask? laugh )

~*Monica*~

L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
<chuckle> She did have some of the best lines. How about, "Boom shakalaka!" (Or should that be confined to the nfic folder? wink )

Of course you haven't watched B5 way too many times, for the simple fact that there is no such thing as watching it too many times. Every time I rewatch it, I see some things that I had either missed or forgotten about from previous watchings. JMS was absolutely brilliant.

Joy,
Lynn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard