Christmas 2015 Matchmaker Chronicles Vol 1 CG2

Rated PG-13

Disclaimers: The characters in this story are property of DC, December 3rd productions and Warner Bros. No Copyright infringement is intended. I have just borrowed the characters for a short time.

I wish to express my thanks to my Beta reader Ray Reynolds for his invaluable help. This was a VERY rough draft when it first landed in his hands.

/ “text”/ indicates telepathic communication
*text* indicates bold

Previously:

“I know, but that doesn’t keep me from wishing things were different and that they were home. Why did Daddy have to decide to do something so dangerous?”

“I think that, subconsciously, he is trying to make amends for what he did in the past. Those enhanced boxers were potentially dangerous. We can only guess why Luthor was financing that research. When we found the documentation on that after Luthor finally died it opened the door to all kinds of speculation. It was obvious that at least one of his purposes was to create someone that could take me on. After that failed he created that clone of me and indoctrinated it with his values.”

:”Fortunately, your innate goodness came through and he rebelled against his ‘father’.” Lois draped herself over him with her arms around his neck as she said, “As for the boxers, I for one am glad that Daddy failed.” Lois kissed the side of his neck.

“Unfortunately, his research was the foundation for Metallo. By the same token, it was a good thing, because that was the foundation for the creation of Baby Gunderson. If not for that invention he might not have gone back into legitimate practice.”

“Yeah, and it was Baby Gunderson that put us on to The Mechanic when he tried to kill us with the microwave.”

“There, you see. There was a lot of good that came out of that research.”

“I wish we could convince him of that.”

That had all taken place a couple of months ago and now was Christmas week. Thursday, Christmas Eve, the kids were all up early, almost as early as Martha and by the time Lois and Clark came down with Sam, who still shared their room, the rest of the children were in various stages of having breakfast. Lois placed Sam in his highchair and proceeded to feed him while the kids that were finished eating all went out to ‘help’ Grandpa Kent with his chores.

The weather was brisk with a light overcast. During the day the temperature was in the fifties while at night it was dropping down close to freezing, but unfortunately there was no snow in the forecast.

At eleven o’clock, when the chores were all finished they all piled into the van, all that is except, Jon and Lara who rode with Grandpa Kent in the truck while Grandma Kent rode in the van with the rest as they headed into town to purchase a Christmas tree.

Once they arrived, Sam was placed under Celeste’s charge and Lucy was to be watched over by Sean, an assignment that would fall to his lot, well into her pre-teen years, to his chagrin.

The children all dispersed and each was looking for ‘the perfect’ tree. While they were all running from section to section, covering and recovering the entire lot, Lois and Clark strolled leisurely around the lot chatting with Clark’s parents, amused, smiling and commenting on the activity.

Suddenly, Lois heard Sean calling from off to the extreme left and she led Clark in that direction. When they arrived, they noted that they were actually off the lot when they spotted Sean and Lucy. Lucy was standing there staring at a scrawny little tree, obviously a reject and crying.

As she approached, Lois said, “Lucy? Why are you all the way over here? What’s the matter, sweetie?”

Without even looking at her, tears streaming down her face, Lucy replied, “Mommy, I feel sorry for this little tree. Nobody is going to want it.”

Lois was immediately cast back many years into her past. Unlike now, Christmas had never been a happy time for Lois. After her parent’s divorce there hadn’t been enough money to satisfy her mother’s thirst and also pay for decorations. After she had met Clark, things had begun to change. Finally, she had decided to celebrate Christmas. She had ordered in a complete Christmas dinner and sent out invitations. She had gone looking for a tree, but by that time, they had been very picked over, but she had found a scrawny tree that had actually grabbed her fancy. When the night had come, the only one who had shown up had been Clark. He had told her that his flight had been cancelled due to snow. She knew very much better now. He had delayed his plans of flying out to Smallville so that she wouldn’t be alone on Christmas. It had turned out to be a magical night.

Identifying with Lucy, Lois knelt next to her and said, “Tell you what, why don’t we give it a home and decorate it. We can have a mama tree and a baby tree. How about that?”

Lucy threw her arms around Lois’s neck and sobbed, “Could we, Mommy? Could we?”

“We sure can, Sweetheart. We will.”

Clark said, “Wait right here. I’ll be right back.” He went in search of the salesman.

A few minutes later he returned and the salesman wrapped the tree up and handed it to Clark who carried it to the truck and placed it in the bed.

As this was being done, Lucy’s tears stopped and she started to smile. She hugged Lois and said, “Thanks, Mommy.”

Lois returned the hug and said, “I just want to see my little girl happy.”

“You’re the bestest mommy in the whole wide world! I love you. Mommy.”

“And I love you, sweetheart.”

Eventually they found another tree and after loading everything and everybody they headed back to the farm.

Jonathan and Clark set up both trees, one on either side of the fireplace, in the corner, at a safe distance.

While they were setting up the trees and arranging the decorations they had the radio on in the background playing Christmas music.

Everyone was enjoying the process as they placed the decorations on the trees when suddenly the music was interrupted, “We interrupt this broadcast for a news bulletin. Flash: Afghanistan – ISIS rebels, who had been massing in northern Afghanistan are striking south, moving through Khorasan Province. They have been actively attacking the Taliban in that area and are now starting to seize territory. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.”

As the music resumed, Lois asked Clark, “Isn’t that where Mother and Daddy are?”

“I’m afraid so.”

“I’m going to call home and check the answering machine.”

“Okay. I hope everything is okay.”

Lois replied, “So do I.” as she picked up her cell phone and dialed.

As the phone on the other end was ringing, Lois heard a beep, indicating an incoming call. Hitting the ‘flash’ button, she accepted it. “Lois Lane.”

She could hear what sounded like shooting or explosions in the background as she heard a familiar voice, “Princess?”

“Daddy? What’s happening?”

“Princess, we need help! The city is being overrun by ISIS fanatics. It won’t be long until they are in the hospital. We have heard that they don’t give any special treatment to medical personnel. If you are not Muslim they capture you, make you slaves or kill you. Can you get your friends, Superman and Ultra Woman to come and pick us up?”

Lois tried to remain calm as she said, “Consider it done. We are in Smallville. Do you mind if they bring you here?”

“Anywhere, will be better than here before too much longer. Please ask them to hurry.”

“We will.” She closed the connection. Looking at Clark she said, “You heard?” At his nod, she turned to Martha and said, “Clark and I have to go out for a while. Would you mind a couple more visitors?”

“No problem. The sofa pulls out into a bed.” With a conspiratorial wink, she added, “Go get them. Keep them safe.”

Lois said to Jon, “Jon, we have to go out for a while.”

“Can Lara and I help?”

“Not this time. We will have passengers.”

“Okay, Mom. We’ll see you when you get back.”

Nodding to Clark she led the way out the back door. As soon as the door was closed behind them, they spun into their uniforms and took to the sky.

And now:

Chapter 03
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
Universal Locator Designation
Alpha 023 x Gamma 004 x Tau -120
Local designation - Canon Universe also called Prime
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Lois and Clark, AKA Ultra Woman and Superman, stayed in close formation as they crossed the continent and soared out over the Pacific Ocean. At any other time they might have loitered to take in the majesty of the broad expanse of water, but there was an urgency to this trip.

They landed in Madras, India and finding an isolated spot spun into their regular clothes. They had landed near a market area and quickly finding a bazaar that had clothing of various types they started looking for something they could use as disguises. The Muslim population of India is in the minority; however there were numbers of them throughout the country. With a minimum of haggling, Clark purchased two sets of Muslim attire, a niqab for Lois and a burnoose and knit cap for himself. The niqab would hide Lois’s uniform, the only part visible being part of her mask showing through the opening in the head covering. The burnoose would not disguise the fact that Clark was clean shaven, but the disguises should hold long enough to do what they had to do. Returning to the same secluded area they spun back into their uniforms and carrying the disguises as bundles took off again. It was only a short hop from Madras to northern Afghanistan. They stayed high and used their telescopic vision to scout the area and could see the firefight already in progress. They were high enough that they were unobserved while they decided their next move.

Spotting a deserted house with a courtyard they put on a burst of speed and moving faster than the eye could follow they descended into the courtyard. As soon as they landed they each put on the disguises over their uniforms.

“I think the hospital is two blocks away. The firefight is on the other side of the hospital from us. Ready? Remember, walk a pace or two behind me.”

This rankled Lois’s feminist leanings, “Must I?”

“That’s the way it is over here. If we don’t want to attract attention, that’s what you’ll have to do.”

With a smirk, she replied, “As if your red boots and my hot pink ones showing below the disguises won’t attract attention.”

“We can only hope that they don’t look at our feet. As long as you don’t show someone the sole of your boot, we should be okay.”

Mystified, she asked, “Why is that?”

“Showing the sole of your shoe to someone is the supreme insult in this culture. Remember when the U.S. military, at the request of the locals, tore down the statue of Saddam in Iraq? One of the first things that happened was a local leaped up on the fallen statue and taking off his shoe he started beating the face with it.”

“I wondered about that.”

“U. S. servicemen are warned against showing the sole of their boots. Evidence of what the Muslims think of our presence can be seen in news clips. I saw in one, coalition troops on patrol and as they walked by, a Muslim sitting on a stool in a doorway crossed his leg presenting the sole of his sandal to the troops. It is very subtle, but it is there. Unless you knew that about them, you’d miss it.”

“Now that you mention it, I remember seeing that clip.”

“To the uneducated eye, there is nothing amiss, but knowing that the meaning is obvious. There is a definite clash of cultures.” He looked her disguise over and said, “Looks like we are ready to go. Remember, two paces behind.”

“If you insist.”

“You could also tilt your head down. That should hide your mask.” As she tilted her head down, he said, “Okay, here we go.”

They exited the courtyard and started down the street.

There must have been something in their gate or posture, they couldn’t be sure what it was, but something gave them away and as they walked down the street there was a shout from behind them, “Allouah Akbar” which was followed immediately by a burst of automatic rifle fire. Subconsciously, Clark recognized the sound and identified the weapon as an AK-47, Kalashnikov, as he felt slugs slam into his back. He spun and using his heat vision melted the action, seizing the weapon making it useless for anything more than a paperweight. While he did this, Lois used her super-speed to close with the shooter and using one finger knocked him out.

Standing over him and looking down at her handiwork, she said, “Serves you right, shooting at unarmed people.”

Clark said, “I think we need to be on our way.”

“Right. What was that again, two paces?” she asked sarcastically.

“Let’s try to get there without any further incidents, shall we?”

“He did it, not me.”

“I know and I appreciate the restraint you showed by just knocking him out.”

She fell in behind him as he moved off.

After a couple of minutes they located the hospital. There was a lot of hustle and bustle as patients were prepared for relocation. Unfortunately, there were a number that were just too badly off to be moved. They found Sam and Ellen working frantically to prepare one of the less injured. As they watched, Ellen said, “That’s the last of the semi-ambulatory. Those are all that we can help. I hope our transport arrives soon. They are almost at the doors.”

Ellen was startled by a voice behind her, “Somebody here call for a cab?” After she spoke, she became concerned thinking that her parents might recognize her voice. She sent, /”Maybe you should do all of the talking.”/

Ellen snapped around and with a startled look stared at the woman in the niqab. Suddenly she spotted the hot pink mask through the slit in the niqab and knew that it had to be Ultra Woman. The man in the burnoose next to her lifted his cap off and she recognized the slicked back hair of Superman. When she did, she released a sigh of relief.

Superman took the lead from that point and asked, “Do you need to recover anything from your rooms?”

Sam replied, “No, we have been in the habit of carrying our passports on our persons. We have them in pouches slung around our necks. All that is in our rooms is some clothing. Easily replaced.”

Ellen stepped to the side and picked up two tote bags. She said, “The satellite phone and other valuables are in these. We are ready to go.”

They each pulled clothes from the totes and put them on. When they finished Ellen was also wearing a niqab and Sam was wearing a pair of loose pants and a long loose tunic with his head bare.

Superman said, “That’s great. We will walk out together. We found a secluded area that we can take off from. It is only a couple of blocks away. We will keep you safe now.”

Ultra Woman sent a thought, /“I suggest single file. You lead and I’ll bring up the rear, that way they are between us.”/

/“Good idea.”/ He then told Sam and Ellen, “I suggest single file. I’ll lead and Ultra Woman will bring up the rear, that way you are between us.”

They headed out and were almost to the house when a group of armed men appeared in front of them and Ultra Woman shouted, “There’s more behind us!”

Superman shouted, “Sandstorm!” and accompanied the shout with a telepathic message, /”Super-breath. Sand.”/

Ultra Woman picked up on his ploy instantly and as soon as she turned to the rear she used her super-breath as Superman was, blowing at the ground, stirring up the sand and sending it at the men gathered at either end of the thoroughfare.

The men were armed with a mishmash of weapons, predominately AK-47s, some M-4 carbines that they had captured from the U.S. military and RPGs. Sighting the four in the street they brought their weapons to bear and started shooting. Until the leading edge of the artificial sandstorm hit them Superman and Ultra Woman were kept busy catching or deflecting the bullets. When it reached their assailants they forgot all about shooting and threw up their arms to defend their eyes from the stinging grit.

Once their assailants had stopped shooting, reaching back, Superman placed one of Ellen’s hands in one of Sam’s and took Sam’s other hand. He sent Lois a telepathic message as he started to lead Sam and Ellen away, /I have your parents. We need to get to the house. Back up slowly and keep the sandstorm going./

Superman and Ultra Woman kept up the sandstorm until they found the house they were after and ducked inside, closing and bolting the door behind them. Lois sent a telepathic message, /Let’s stay in the disguises. The less they can see of me the better I’ll like it. With a close inspection they may recognize me./

/Good idea./

Once the door had been closed and barred all four of them ran through the house and into the courtyard. They allowed Sam and Ellen a second to catch their breath before Superman moved next to Sam and Ultra Woman stood next to Ellen and placing arms around their passengers, Superman said, “Hold onto your hats. We’re going to take off … rather fast. Once we are high enough we will slow down. Don’t worry, our auras will protect you.” He paused a second while Ellen put an arm around Ultra Woman’s shoulders and then he said, “Okay, here we go,” and the two of them took off at extreme velocity.

Once they were at twenty-five thousand feet they came to a hover and Superman asked, “Everyone okay?”

Ultra Woman, other than the comment in the hospital had maintained her silence fearing that Ellen or Sam would recognize her voice. She hadn’t had as much practice at disguising it as Clark’s had.

At nods from both Ellen and Sam, he said, “Okay, next stop, the U. S. of A.”

They slowly descended to ten thousand feet as they headed south-east, flying over India, the Indian Ocean, over Australia and then north-east across the Pacific Ocean It wasn’t too long until the California coastline appeared before them. They altered course once again to almost due east and finally landed in the front yard of the Kent Farm house.

As they we being set upon their feet, Sam asked, “Why here? We belong in Metropolis.”

Clark replied, “When Lois and Clark asked us to pick you up, they asked us to bring you here because this is where they are. Now, if you’ll excuse us, we have somewhere to be.” So saying, Superman and Ultra Woman took off in a blur. Once they were out of sight of the ground they reversed course and approaching from the rear entered through their bedroom window.

Once they had removed the disguises and spun into their regular clothes they were ready to welcome their guests.

It was just about that time that there was a knock on the door and then Jon’s voice shouting, “Grandma and Grandpa Lane!”

Lois and Clark exited their room and headed downstairs, appropriately surprised at the unexpected arrival of Lois’s parents.

They were quickly brought inside because they were dressed for weather quite a bit hotter than the fifty-three degrees that the thermometer read.

Jonathan was just putting the finishing touches on the fire he had built in the fireplace.

Martha took charge, “Ellen and Sam, so good to see you. Superman warned us you may be stopping by. Come on in and get warm by the fire. We’ll have to see about getting you some warmer clothing.”

As they sat on the couch, Lois and Clark entered the room and picking up Sam, Lois said, “Mother and Daddy, this is our youngest. He’s named after you, Daddy.”

Sam’s smile was so big it almost split his face, “Come to Grandpa, Sam,” as he held out his hands to him.

Next, Lois called Lucy over and said, “This is Lucy Ellen. I guess I don’t need to tell you where she got her middle name.”

Ellen smiled and held out her hands, saying, “Come to Grandma.”

This broke the ice and then there was a general getting-to-know-you session as the grandparents met their grandchildren.

After a time, Ellen turned to Sam and said, “I don’t think I want to go on any more mission trips.” She indicated the grandchildren and said, “Look at all we have been missing.”

Sam nodded and said, “Yeah, you’re right. I think we’re gonna stay home from now on. I want to see this family grow up.”

Lucy jumped down and started pulling on Ellen’s hand, “Come help me decorate the baby tree.”

Ellen stood and followed her granddaughter.

Sean addressed Sam, “Do you want to help decorate the tree, Grandpa?”

As Sam stood up, he said, “I can’t think of anything I’d rather be doing.”

Lois and Clark stood near the stairs and watched. Lois had tears streaming down her cheeks as she watched her children as they bonded with her parents.

Clark pulled her into a hug and said, “Merry Christmas.”

“Yes, it is, isn’t it? The best one ever”

Over dinner, Sam and Ellen kept the grandchildren entertained with tales of their adventures in foreign lands working as medical missionaries.

Lois let Ellen help baby Sam with his dinner and afterwards they all gathered in the living room and sang Christmas Carols while the lights twinkled on the trees and the flickering flames of the fire lit the room in an amber glow.

Years earlier, Jonathan had made an ingenious device which clamped to the fireplace mantle without marring it which would hold the stockings. He installed this and each of the children hung up their stockings. Sam lifted Lucy and Sam up for this purpose.

As she was being placed on the floor, Lucy tugged oh Lois’s skirt and asked, in a worried tone, “Mommy, if Grammy and Grampy Lane are sleeping here in the living room and there’s a fire in the fireplace, how is Santa going to deliver the presents?”

Lois smiled and said, “Santa is magic. He can do it even if there is a fire and he won’t even disturb Grandma and Grandpa Lane. Just you wait and see.”

Her fears relieved, a smiling Lucy said, “Okay, Mommy.”

Lois smiled in return and said, “Now, the sooner you are in bed, asleep, the sooner Santa can come and drop off the presents.”

Without even waiting, Lucy turned on her heel and made a dash for the stairs, shouting over her shoulder, “Nite, Mommy!”

“Don’t forget to brush your teeth.”

“I won’t, Mommy.”

Lara said, “I’ll make sure.”

“Thanks, Lara. Sometimes I don’t know what I’d do without you.”

Sam and Ellen had been standing there, arm-in-arm as this had all played out. Ellen said, “Lovely children and so loving. You’ve done a wonderful job, raising them.”

Lois stepped over and gave her mom a hug, “It’s all Clark’s influence. He’s been good for me. The best person to come into my life.”

Ellen returned the hug and said, “That is obvious. You work well together.” Looking around, Ellen noted that they were the only four in the room. In a conspiratorial tone, Ellen whispered, “Why didn’t you tell me?”

Lois was shocked, and blurted out, “Tell you? Tell you what?”

She held Lois at arm’s length and said, “Lois Olive Lane, or should I say, Ultra Woman, I recognized your voice when you spoke in the hospital. Did you think I wouldn’t recognize my own daughter’s voice?”

Lois gave Clark a crestfallen look as she said, “I was afraid of that. I didn’t think of that until after I spoke.”

“The silence was also obvious, so when were you going to tell us?”

“We weren’t sure we should, but now that you know, I’m glad you know.”

“I’ve got a million questions. How did it happen and when?”

Most of the remainder of the night was spent in explaining the whys and wherefores of Ultra Woman to her parents.

When the children all trooped downstairs in the morning they found presents and filled stockings and everyone had fun.

comments go here

The end.

Last edited by KenJ; 12/25/15 05:22 PM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj