Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
The Ghost of Christmas Future

Okay, so here's the backstory: A year ago, when I was writing Harmonicity, I put in a cute little scene where Clark used his laser vision to carve CK+LL with a heart surrounding it into the bark of a tree. Sue said:
one hundred years from now, that tree will be in the Superman Museum. I can just see young Tempus walking past it and rolling his eyes.

Well, I just had to steal that idea (with her gracious permission, of course). My goal was to write the story for the next Christmas, which has now arrived. laugh I have never written comedy before, but Tempus is a cynic after my own heart, and I hoped that I'd be able to do him justice. Please, let me know if I succeeded. smile

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
That was fun! You did a great job with comedy. There were lots of clever parts.

This cracked me up:

“Hmm. It’s strange,” TJ said, recalling the various images he had seen of the woman. “She looks like most of the pictures I’ve seen of her. But there are a few scattered ones where she looks much older, almost as if she was a completely different person.”

This had me laughing too:

“1996,” Tempus said. “Oh, how a year has changed things for our romantic leads. No more frog-eating clones, previously dead fiancées, unscrupulous doctors taking advantage of amnesiacs, and the New Kryptonians have been sent packing. Wedded bliss abounds.”

And this was funny too:

“You’ve got a lot to learn about being a bad guy. It’s not just about witty dialogue and knowing winks to the camera.”

TJ looked around the room, curious to see if he was being filmed.

Tempus smacked him on the side of the head. “It’s about the entertainment! Every good villain knows that you have to let the heroes catch you so that the game can continue. Geez, I spend days writing and practicing the exposition speeches I have to deliver as a delaying tactic until Lois and Clark figure out how to foil my schemes.”

Nice way to weave together the Christmas episodes with Tempus and a little comedy too.

Kerth
Kerth
You'd think Young Tempus would realise that the way to avoid Lois and Clark is to avoid them - stay out of the past and try not to think about them.

But never mind...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I love Tempus! clap What a wonderful treat of a holiday treat! lol

I kept hoping that the ironic would happen. Tempus would accidentally change young TJ's opinion of Lois and Clark and make him decide not to be the villain old Tempus was, thereby creating a fun paradox. Alas. That was not meant to be.

Loved your tongue and cheek barbs at the show, the changing of characters, and how everything always resolves with our couple loving each other more.

This is my favorite line, though, the line that might change TJ's tune to be more evil (although, I've never thought of him as evil per se, just villainous).
Tempus smacked him on the side of the head. “It’s about the entertainment! Every good villain knows that you have to let the heroes catch you so that the game can continue. Geez, I spend days writing and practicing the exposition speeches I have to deliver as a delaying tactic until Lois and Clark figure out how to foil my schemes.”

I also loved your hint that the reason that TJ / Tempus hates Clark so much wasn't because he was Superman, it was because he wanted Lois for himself (at least, through prom). I feel sorry for Katie. [Linked Image] Wouldn't it be funny, if someone wrote a story where Tempus kidnaps TJ and brings him back to go to school with Lois Lane and tries to woo her; thereby becoming one of her federal disasters? Anyway, just a thought.

Thoroughly enjoyed this! Thanks for sharing.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
When I first saw the title of this piece, I did a mental eye roll: As if we haven't already had way too many Dicken's ripoffs over the years. The original was OK, but the constant -- usually horrendous and totally unimaginative -- imitations really begin to grate on me.

And then I saw who wrote this story and thought I would give it a try, anyway...

Boy, am I glad I did. This was sheet brilliance. What a fun romp. I thoroughly enjoyed the entire story, but if I had to pick out a few favourite lines, they would be:
  • New writer, new rules.
  • ...almost as if she was a completely different person.
  • Swear to God, I'm not kidding.

I guess you can tell I enjoy meta-humour.

You've left me hoping that there will be Ghost of Christmas Past and Present stories in our very own future Christmas.

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., You've nailed Tempus's voice down perfectly.

groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Lol Marcus...the antagonist should just walk away! I think you just plot-untwisted literally every story in the history of literature. wink

Interesting thought about the ironic twist, Virginia. My vision was that Tempus was going back to his bored younger self to assure him "it gets better." laugh I don't think Tempus is evil, either...but everyone knows that the villain has more fun!

Glad you liked it, ScifiJoan. smile I was rather worried about writing comedy - everyone has different tastes, and it's hard to know how sarcasm will read. Tempus' brand of humor really relies on his voice and his body language - Lane Davies was so great in that role; I just hoped to do him justice.

I totally understand where you're coming from, Lynn! I also enjoy meta-humor, as evidenced in Breaching the Ivory Tower. wink Knowing you read the story just because you saw I had written it...gosh, that really means everything to me. Thank you so much for that compliment!

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Features Writer
Features Writer
Delightful story. I love the inside jokes. You definitely nailed Tempus. clap notworthy lol

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Top Banana
Top Banana
Well done. Creative premise, and you got Tempus's voice just right.

This *is* my happily ever after.
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Summary: Tempus travels through time as he teaches himself a Dickens’ inspired tale.
So, Tempus is the Ghost of Christmas Future, Lex the one of Christmas Present, and Herb the one of Christmas Past?
HERB: Hey! Why am I listed with two villains?
CLARK: [Linked Image]

TJ exited the school bus with a heavy sigh. He had been on this exact same field trip every year since kindergarten. He couldn’t fathom why his classmates were excitedly tripping over themselves to line up behind the docent
Superman museum and he’s a descendent?

The nine-story Superman Museum, situated in the heart of Metropolis, was Utopia’s main tourist attraction.
*Nine*?
CURATOR: Lois Lane lots of resucing…

Blindingly bright sunlight reflected off the mirror-finished windows, which were polished to spotless perfection.
A bit proud of it, aren’t we?

The ornamental garden surrounding the building was fastidiously tidy, not an errant leaf out of place.
Wait, ‘TJ’? Tempus Junior?

“Lois Lane loved nature. Did you know that she had fish as pets? And she always had a beautiful plant on her desk at the Daily Planet.”
shock *nature*? *beautiful plant*? rotflol

TJ willfully suppressed the first response that threatened to fall off his tongue: “Duh!”
See? Some sort of Tempus.

Katie was fine. She liked him – God knows why. And she let him feel her up sometimes. Maybe if they were still together by prom, she’d put out.
He sounds like a keeper.

TJ’s biggest complaint about his girlfriend was regarding her personality: she was mind-numbingly boring. But then, so was Utopia.
No rebellious teens?

Nothing was ever out of place in Utopia.
Couldn’t he hide dog poo in a corner of the museum?

“Christmas was Lois Lane’s favorite time of year.”
LOIS: Bah! Humbug.

She pointed towards an open doorway that was labelled with a huge yellow banner. “I’ll be leading you through our current special exhibition, ‘Lois and Clark: A Love Affair for the Ages.’”
Since they’re already old enough to be confronted with such things?

He stepped through the threshold into the brightly lit room. Valentine’s Day had thrown up all over the exhibition hall.
So, a reproduction of the bullpen the day after Miranda released Revenge?

TJ turned his head and took in the middle aged man who had just spoken. He was wearing the silver suit so typical of his generation – a tragic ensemble TJ swore he’d never be caught dead in. TJ made a non-committal sigh and turned his attention away.
It *is* Tempus Junior! Unless…he’s meeting himself.
BIFF: wave

Except Katie.” He smiled, nodded, and said, “Keep her around until after prom.”
laugh

Tempus blinked and refocused. He turned his head towards TJ and said, “Lois and Clark aren’t the heroes you think they are. Superman has his flaws.”

That was the best thing TJ had heard all day. “What do I have to do?”
Oh boy. I’m thinking he’ll have a hard time proving that one.
TJ: He could at least have brought barf bags on this trip…

He looked with fascination at the brick walls and old-fashioned paneling, the impossibly tiny television, and the hideous couch he was currently clutching.
Hmm…Clark’s apartment since Lois’s doesn’t have exposed bricks?

“Lois Lane’s apartment. Christmas, 1994. See for yourself.”
Ah, I see…/pencils in LnC rewatch…/

Tempus turned to his right, gesturing with his hand. TJ followed his lead and gasped when he saw the woman standing ten feet away from him.
shock
LOIS: jawdrop mad Time fiend! You dirty time fiend! Get out of my time! [Linked Image]

She was younger, though, with a spiral curl to her wavy brown hair that he’d never seen. She was wearing a short black dress, baring her shoulders and revealing her creamy bronze skin.
Oh boy. And now he’s in love.

His eyes zeroed in on her bust, and his body reacted inappropriately to the cleavage of Utopia’s mother. Three dimensions certainly suited Lois Lane.
rotflol

“Oh, God! I’m sorry! I don’t mean to intrude.”
shock

We can interact with everything here, but we can’t be seen or heard. It’s like we’re ghosts.”

“Does it work in the girls’ locker room?”
rotflol

TJ had a flash of concern. “Hey, is this going to create a paradox that will cause the fabric of space and time to fold in on itself?”

Tempus scoffed. “Who do I look like? Herb? I just muck around in time; others can clean up the mess.”
Next thing…
TJ: I like her…
OLD TEMPUS: [Linked Image]
HERB: And this, class, is what we call a temporal paradoxon…

Being a raging bitch doesn’t earn you a ton of friends.”
eek

TJ refused to identify the emotion that flashed through him as jealousy.

He moved to stand beside Clark, measuring their relative heights with his hand. TJ was a good two inches taller than Superman. “He’s a shrimp!” TJ said, as he began to laugh uncontrollably.
laugh

Tempus’ voice dripped with a sardonic tone. “No, that’s Clark, not Superman. See? Clark wears glasses.”

TJ’s face contorted with incredulity. “Is she stupid or something?”
Or something.

“I think I’m going to hurl,” TJ said sarcastically.
I wonder if said vomit would still remain cloak. But would the smell also be cloaked? Can you imagine? In some corner of her apartment, unable to find it or clean it, but the stench keeping? She’d have *move*!

Tempus dipped his finger into the cranberry sauce and took a lick. “Ugh! Me, too. I think she really did make this herself.”
[Linked Image]
LOIS: I’ll have you know, I did open the can myself right after I opened the can of pineapples.

But then he took a deep breath, snagged a bread roll off the table to go, and continued on his journey through time.
laugh Is he going to lose a tooth?

asked Lois Lane if she would be his wife and build Utopia with him,
rotflol

“I’m sure Superman’s descendants would prefer to call it an interpretive framing of the relevant facts.”
[Linked Image]

TJ’s eyes widened in astonishment. “He asked her to marry him before he told her about Superman? Is he a freakin’ moron?”
Well…who else is a galactically stupid person going to marry?

The floating goldfish didn’t stir. “He doesn’t look so good,” TJ deadpanned.

“Lois couldn’t keep a fish alive if her life depended on it.
What! jawdrop

It’s a wonder her children made it to adulthood.”
Clark had them grow up with their grandparents?

But there are a few scattered ones where she looks much older, almost as if she was a completely different person.”
thumbsup

“I made her. Built her. You remember how I used to tinker with cyborgs. Baby Gunderson’s an improvement; one hundred percent machine.”
[Linked Image]
I wonder if Josh Whedon…

He picked up a small package marked “Wrigley’s” from the desk and slipped it into his pocket. Pilfering objects from the past felt oddly satisfying.
I wonder how chewing gum will screw with the Continuum.

“1996,” Tempus said. “Oh, how a year has changed things for our romantic leads. No more frog-eating clones, previously dead fiancées, unscrupulous doctors taking advantage of amnesiacs, and the New Kryptonians have been sent packing. Wedded bliss abounds.”

TJ raised an eyebrow. “The textbooks seem to have skipped a few chapters.”
Would make for some nice horror movies?

“Swear to God, I’m not kidding,” Tempus said drolly.
clap

“I guess we’re all very lucky that not a single human picked up any nasty Kryptonian diseases we’d lack natural immunities to. Almost as if it was a plot point conveniently glossed over.”
Or, you know, got pregnant…

“Odd that we’ve never been visited by any other alien races since then. I mean, we can’t be the only two life forms in the whole universe.” TJ’s eyes widened. “Or have we? Are those government conspiracy whack-jobs right?”
Or maybe, the other alien races are simply smarter than the New Kryptonians.
BLOB: [Linked Image]

Jonathan and Martha Kent were arguing about tough times on the farm. Ellen Lane was helping herself to a glass of eggnog. TJ smiled at the chaos.
That’s the last round of Mxysmas, isn’t it?

He’s affected by magic, too.”

TJ soffed. “Magic? Like sawing women in half and making tigers disappear?”
Yes, he gets very affected when someone saws a woman in half. You should have seen him when Kyle Griffin did it with Lois on their 3th anniversary.
KYLE: But it was such a hit when that dude did it to Darth Maul in Star Wars!

“Gum!” Tempus exclaimed. He took the object from TJ’s hand and unwrapped it, withdrawing a silver foil package. “I haven’t seen this in ages. It was outlawed centuries ago.”
Outlawed? Oh boy. evil

Tempus balled the foil trash and tossed it to the floor. TJ’s eyes widened at the casual display of something he’d only ever read about in school: littering.
rotflol

and kiss – oh, God, the kissing! It’s even more revolting than I could have imagined.”
[Linked Image]

Tempus smacked him on the side of the head. “It’s about the entertainment! Every good villain knows that you have to let the heroes catch you so that the game can continue.
[Linked Image]
LEONARD SNARK: thumbsup

TJ pulled the flavorless piece of gum out of his mouth, reached across the curtesy rope, and stuck it in the dead center of the engraved heart, squishing the used gum into the lasered letters of Clark’s name.
shock

That was one hell of a Christmas!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Looking around on the boards and realized I wasn't caught up from over the holidays yet blush...

LOVE this story smile. The sarcastic humor, the mockery, and best of all, Tempus grin. You really 'found' him here in this piece.

Some of the parts that really get me laughing:

TJ had a flash of concern. “Hey, is this going to create a paradox that will cause the fabric of space and time to fold in on itself?”

Tempus scoffed. “Who do I look like? Herb? I just muck around in time; others can clean up the mess.”

Ha! If this doesn't sound like Tempus, I don't know what does laugh...

TJ followed this exchange, understanding slowly dawning. He turned sharply to his older self. “She doesn’t know?”

Tempus shook his head with an amused smile.

“But…” TJ looked at Clark. “It’s so obvious! He’s standing right in front of her.”

Tempus’ voice dripped with a sardonic tone. “No, that’s Clark, not Superman. See? Clark wears glasses.”

TJ’s face contorted with incredulity. “Is she stupid or something?”

Tempus rolled his eyes. “Galactically stupid.”

rotflol This-Is-Great!

TJ nodded as he remembered a fact from the museum tour. “Yeah, yeah. Superman got on one knee in the middle of Centennial Park, asked Lois Lane if she would be his wife and build Utopia with him, and they got married and had a crap load of super babies.”

“Quite a story, isn’t it?” Tempus asked. There was something in his voice, though, something in the set of his eyebrow that seemed to suggest he knew more than he was saying.

“Another lie?” TJ said with a frown.

“I’m sure Superman’s descendants would prefer to call it an interpretive framing of the relevant facts.”

“So what really happened?”

“Clark used his freeze breath on Lois – nearly killing her, by the way – and so after less than one month of dating, he proposed in the park. As Clark. She’s the one who called out his alter-ego before rejecting him.”

TJ’s eyes widened in astonishment. “He asked her to marry him before he told her about Superman? Is he a freakin’ moron?”

blush....Ohhh--pour Clark. Yeah...from Tempus' point of view, he could have handled things a bit better. Hilarious dialogue, Susan.

“Hmm. It’s strange,” TJ said, recalling the various images he had seen of the woman. “She looks like most of the pictures I’ve seen of her. But there are a few scattered ones where she looks much older, almost as if she was a completely different person.”

“I know what you mean,” Tempus said with a nod. “Same thing happened to Herb. Must be the butterfly effect. Change even one small thing in the past and it can cause weird and varied changes in the future.” Tempus moved closer to him and clapped TJ on the shoulder. “Just go with it.”

notworthy notworthy --Seriously? This is amazing! Lovely mockery of the actor change ups, and so funny how they gather it's a time travel glitch.

“Swear to God, I’m not kidding,” Tempus said drolly.

Gotta send you a virtual high five! Ha! GREAT use of material dance.

Tempus identified a young boy with floppy hair. “Jimmy Olsen.”

“No! More butterflies?”

“Exactly.”

lol lol lol Yeah, this is awesome, Susan smile.

Thanks for another amazingly entertaining reread sloppy
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard