[Previously: Cedric is definitely on the mend which means it's taking some ingenuity on Lavinia's part to keep him from overdoing it too quickly. Still no word from Lucius ... wonder when he'll return?]

The next day was the mildest one they'd seen in nearly a week, leading Lavinia to believe that a brief stroll in the sunlight and fresh air would be beneficial to Cedric. She made him wait until after luncheon, to be sure it would be warm enough outside and then accompanied him into the rose garden. There, surrounded by box hedges, they would be protected from any stray breezes, and benches were scattered about for Cedric to rest upon, should he need to do so. He laughed good-naturedly at all her "fussings" as he termed them, but went along with her conditions, just happy at the thought of being in her company.

So, after she'd seen Mrs. Clark off on her visit to Lady Eliza and had helped her father in the Library, she put on her pelisse, hat and gloves and waited for Cedric in the drawing-room. He came down the stairs carefully, accompanied by Jacques, delighted to finally be out of his rooms. Portman and one of the footmen, Vincent, greeted him; Portman even going so far as to state, on behalf of the staff, that they were pleased to see Cedric downstairs once more. Cedric nodded his thanks and then continued on his way to the drawing-room. There Jacques left him with Lavinia, and a warning not to be out too long.

Out in the sunshine, with Lavinia's hand tucked into his arm and her laughter sounding lovelier than any bird's song, it was all Cedric could do not to take her in his arms and kiss her. It was in his mind that, but for some mysterious assistance on the night of the ambush he wouldn't be here, which made this moment even more precious. Instead, once they'd passed into the relative security of the rose garden, he settled for bringing her hand to his lips and holding it there for a moment.

She paused and, turning towards him, brought her free hand up to caress his cheek, smiling tenderly at him, her love for him shining from her eyes. They might have stayed like that but a familiar voice was heard just beyond the garden, and they were forced to acknowledge that their charming interlude was at an end.

"In the rose garden are they? Well, well, I know my way about, thank you! You may go on about your business." Well-acquainted with the Squire's juggernaut qualities, Cedric was not surprised to see him appear around the hedge unaccompanied.

"Good afternoon, Squire," Cedric called, by way of greeting. "What brings you by on this fine day?"

"I heard you were ill with the influenza, my boy," was his jovial reply, "so I came to see for myself that you're being well cared for. If I had known," he added with a wink and a smile, "that you had such a pretty nurse in attendance, I wouldn't have bothered."

Lavinia blushed a little, but Cedric laughed. "I have been very well cared for. You know what a tyrant Jacques is, Squire," he replied, to draw the man's attention away from Lavinia. "This is the first time he has allowed me out of the house in four long days!"

The older man had been studying him closely, but he nodded at the reference to Cedric's trusted servant. "Ay, I know well that he has his hands full with you! I remember what a young varmint you were, Cedric, even if you were never as stout as some of the other boys." He peered at Cedric again, but beyond remarking that he looked a bit pale yet, and adjuring him to sit down on a nearby bench, he made no other comment.

"Thank you, sir," Cedric tried to reassure him. "I'm much better ... truly! I think it was really a bad cold only." He helped Lavinia to the bench before seating himself, gesturing for the Squire to take another nearby.

"Can't be too careful, though, Cedric. Can't be too careful. That's why my good wife wanted you to have some of her calf's tongue broth--to build you up a bit. I left it with your uncle's butler. He looked down his nose at me, but I soon put an end to that fiddle-faddle. I've had stiffer-rumped servants than him look down their noses at me, I can tell you!"

By this time both of his listeners were laughing, Cedric in moderation, out of deference to his still sore side. After a couple of other pithy comments on servants and grand manners, the Squire got around to the other reason for his visit.

"I'm glad to see that you'll soon be up and around Cedric. We'll need every man we can get."

Cedric's brows snapped together in concern and, beside him, Lavinia could feel him tense. "Why? What's happened?"

"Well, since those villains murdered the Avenger a few nights ago, they've gotten bolder. The neighbourhood is fed up, I can tell you, and we're putting together a citizen army to go after them. Things can't continue as they have been, Cedric! We've got to do something! And, we will, too. Mark my words!"

Cedric nodded, but he was worried. He'd fought many of those villains and knew what his neighbours could be up against. There would be blood spilt before this was through. "I know that something must be done, Squire, but--"

"Now, don't worry about it just yet, Cedric. You get well first." He rose in preparation for leaving. "Just wanted to let you know what was in the wind, my boy!" He turned to Lavinia to take his leave of her. "Don't let him fret about this, mademoiselle. He's a good lad, but he worries too much sometimes!"

Lavinia rose too, and curtsied. "I will have a care for him, monsieur. Please take my greetings to Madame Wiltkens."

The Squire assured her he would and, after a few more words of advice on the treatment of colds, he left, refusing to allow Cedric to accompany him to the stables, saying he could find his own way after all these years.

Lavinia watched the Squire leave the garden, fear gripping at her heart. She moved closer to where Cedric stood and slipped a hand into one of his, hoping to bring him back to her, back from whatever hard thoughts were making him frown so. He turned towards her at her touch, forcing himself to smile for her sake, but she wasn't fooled.

"Please, Cedric ... promise me that you won't try to ride just yet. You are not well enough to--"

Despite her best effort not to, her voice wobbled as she struggled to remain composed. He gathered her into his arms and held her close. She felt him kiss the top of her head and she clutched at him even more desperately than before. "Please, Cedric ... please!"

"Ah, Lavinia ... mon coeur! Of course I will not ride tonight. I know I'm not yet strong enough."

She lifted her head from his chest to look up at him. "But what about tomorrow, and tomorrow after that? You must promise, Cedric, not to ride until you are completely well!"

He returned her gaze steadily, bringing one hand up to gently stroke her cheek. "I love you, with all my heart, but I cannot promise about tomorrow, ma chérie. If my neighbours ride against those criminals, I must be there also, for I know those villains as they could not. I may be able to prevent--"

"But what if they trap you again?" She could understand his reasons but, emotionally she wasn't ready to concede the necessity of his going.

He smiled to reassure her. "I don't think they will even know to try. They think I am dead, remember? Besides," he added, his face clouding a bit as he recalled the night he'd been shot, "I'll be more careful next time. They won't be able to fool me with a trick like that again."

"How can you be sure?"

"Because I will listen to my instincts. I knew something wasn't right about that coach, but I suppressed the uneasiness I was feeling out of worry for a man I thought was being robbed. However," he added, his tone becoming more reflective, "I've thought about it quite a lot since then, Lavinia, and I now know what it was that felt wrong before. There was supposed to be a very rich man inside that coach, but there was only one outrider and a lone coachman. No guard, no footmen riding up behind. Do you see? Rich men do not travel so lightly."

"Yes, I do see," she replied, nodding her head. "They used your own kindness and caring for others against you. They could do it again, my love."

He shook his head. "No. I will be more careful next time."

She opened her mouth, ready to argue further, but decided against it, saying instead that they'd been out long enough and he should rest now. "Your face is pale again, Cedric."

He resisted, standing still when she would have tugged him towards the house. "Just a little longer, dear, sweet Lavinia," he cajoled her. "It's been so long since I've been able to be outside. Please ...?"