Print Thread
#267773 12/06/15 03:29 AM
N
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
N
Place for commenting!

"Let me help. A hundred years or so from now, I believe, a famous novelist will write a classic using that theme. He'll recommend those three words even over I love you." JTK to EK (City on the Edge of Forever)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Terrific part! I got so sucked into it, I had forgot I was reading it and had started experiencing it. Seeing the pictures unfold in front of me. Bobby in the backseat. Clark eyeing Lois suspiciously. Jimmy stumbling when Lois complimented him. My daughter interrupted me (she's supposed to be asleep, naughty girl!) and suddenly, I was jarred back into reality. I much preferred to live in your story of the two. I'll have to re-read this story in its entirety once you post it on the Archives, so I can once more have that feeling of being transported away. wink

Lois is really learning a lot about herself. Nothing worse than doing something nice for a friend and they think it's only a ruse to get them to do something. Ouch. Even the coffee man noticed that she had never bought another coffee for another. I'm glad that Lois is going to try and branch out her experiment to other people besides Clark. Her life will be much happier that way. And, she never knows, if that woman whom she helped with the door will someday be a source, more willing to speak to her due to her past kindness.

How much better would our world be if everyone acted as Clark Kent (our Clark Kent) does?

How much longer will Lois's patience with this kindness experiment last? When will Clark notice that Lois isn't trying to butter him up for more than his friendship?

PS: Does that ending marker mean that you'll be posting more often? hyper grovel

Last edited by VirginiaR; 12/06/15 03:46 AM. Reason: Added PS

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Top Banana
Top Banana
I agree with Virginia. This chapter was just mesmerising for me. The introspection of Lois in the end of the chapter was perfect. I sense with the number of chapters remaining that we will continue to see the tension remain between these two for a while. Clark has his parents to counsel him in this predicament but who does Lois have? Normally she would go to Clark but in this case that is out. Sometimes writers have Lucy (go figure) be the voice of reason for the Lane side but I have a suspicion you might have other ideas.

Awaiting the next chapter.

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Mike M
Clark has his parents to counsel him in this predicament but who does Lois have? Normally she would go to Clark but in this case that is out.
I've often used Perry as Lois's second choice. She goes to him when they were fighting in Church of Metropolis and after their date. Then, again, this story takes place before those episodes. I, too, wonder what ideas nivafrer has.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I agree...what a great feel to this piece. It really was so easy to get lost, feel very much a part of what was happening as I was reading. You have a great ability to intermix--B Plot info, personal character info, gestures, dialogue. It all flows so well together, making your writing come alive.

I enjoyed that Clark, immediately, was 'on' to Lois...figuring she was up to something by being nice. It was pretty entertaining that everyone else Lois tried to be nice to seemed startled by it, too smile (besides the lady leaving the deli).

If only Lois' true motives would be revealed--she wants, desperately, her best friend back.

But...to have a friend, you have to be a friend. Lois, really, seems to be finally getting this concept. There has to be giving, you can't always take. This ride she is going on--actively trying to become Clark's friend again--seems to be teaching her a lot about herself.

Can't wait to see more unfold smile
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
N
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
N
Thanks, guys! You totally made my day laugh It really is helpful hearing all that! It's one of the big things I was trying to work on when I wrote this fic--all that A/B junk fitting in without feeling forced. My next book has similar plot to character development ratios. It's a fantasy that straddles the line between modern world and magic, princesses and the whole nine yards. I'm actually super excited to see how it turns out since it's been on my back burner for years now. My last two books have been analogical/theological fiction, which have had very little action. So since I was already using L&C to take a break from my own personal writing whilst I was chair-riddenly ill, I figured it'd be good to play with that.

Kids are so like that, aren't they? But man! Naps sound like a beautiful thing! My kids stopped napping a while ago, and even though I love my kids, I miss having that quiet time. Virginia, my beta talked me into keeping to a same schedule for the sake of the people who have a reading schedule. I don't really know what I'm doing with this whole fan fiction thing. I'm new to fan fiction. I hadn't read a lick of it before last year. Then for the past 18 months it's all I've read. I've never had to read in-process fics because there have been plenty to keep me busy. I read a fairly large chunk of the LC archive, but I also read Pride & Prejudice, Harry Potter, and various Star Trek fan fictions. That's enough to keep even a voracious reader busy. I know blogging is supposed to be like that where you keep a schedule and it creates routine, so I guess it makes sense that fan fiction would be the same... I will be out of town for a week a couple weeks from now, so I might end up posting two chapters that week, does that count? wink

Good call, Mike! There's plenty of room for continued angst left in the fic wink

And yay for Lois growing as a person! I love writing character development. It's so affirming to see how angst almost always forces character development. I do love too, Laura, how Clark was "on to" Lois. It was fun to see, and I really think that would be his gut reaction since he's been so, um, what's the word I'm looking for? Basically, he's so desperately wanted her to fall for him for over a year and when she rejected him, I think part of the whole throwing him for a loop would be him not letting himself hope that she'd ever be nice to him of her own accord.

"Let me help. A hundred years or so from now, I believe, a famous novelist will write a classic using that theme. He'll recommend those three words even over I love you." JTK to EK (City on the Edge of Forever)
Features Writer
Features Writer
I agree with all the feedback. This is a great chapter, and it's wonderful to see Lois recognizing her isolation, and attempting be Clark's friend. I love how in doing so she also is being more helpful and friendly to others. And she's learning how much time and effort is involved in being a friend to someone who is reluctant to accept that friendship.

The parallels of Lois's initial reluctance to be Clark's friend with Clark now the reluctant one to renew their friendship is understandable and brilliant, with both Lois initially and Clark now protecting their wounded hearts.

Lois's realization of what her role in the alienation of Clark and her isolation among her peers is huge. And I'm glad to see it's taking her real effort and time to change herself and to have people's reactions to her change.

I also like how Clark immediately figured that Lois wanted something, although he doesn't know what. His frustration at her not being forthcoming about what she wants from him could give him valuable insight into how she feels about the secrets he's keeping.

Looking forward to your next chapter.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard