Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Quick vs. Quickly

Thanks for the challenge, HappyGirl. grin Here's where my mind went with it. Enjoy, everyone. laugh

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Like Clark, my first thought with the line "Kiss me quick" was that it was not grammatically correct. But unlike both you and him, I just let it irritate me slightly and then went along with it. I am impressed by how you were able to turn a mild irritant into a WAFFy tale. Brava.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
More! hyper More! clap More! hyper More! clap

Brava! It takes a good writer to make a lesson in grammar a hot, sexy story. notworthy Excellent! Lots of fun!

groobie, I find reading your stories makes it more difficult to have my own characters keep their hands off each other. You're quickly making me fill up my deleted scene folder. wink

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
Loved it! smile
This is borderline territory, my dear... We may still be in the gfic side of the boards, but the temperature is darn hot 'round here! And while I wouldn't surely complain if you decide to continue the story, I think that "leaving us wanting more" is a perfect way to end it wink

So your hubby is a grammar Nazi? How sexy! And I mean it... I can't think of myself hanging with a guy who can't get his subjunctives right (which probably explains why I am still single at 36) goofy

Originally Posted by groobie
Thanks, as always, to my fabulous beta readers, Laura and Sue.

Now we know why Sue hasn't posted a new chapter in ages... She's too busy betaying for you! :P

Originally Posted by VirginiaR
groobie, I find reading your stories makes it more difficult to have my own characters keep their hands off each other. You're quickly making me fill up my deleted scene folder. wink

*Imagines Groobie dressed as Darth Vader trying to drag Virginia to the Dark Side of the boards*devil

P.S.: Speaking of sequels... What about Quick vs. Quickly vs.... Quickie?

Last edited by HiddenMoon; 12/04/15 11:45 AM. Reason: P.S. added

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by HiddenMoon
*Imagines Groobie dressed as Darth Vader trying to drag Virginia to the Dark Side of the boards*devil
lol More like that Queen from the Narnia books who leads astray the innocent boy with Turkish delight. The only problem with those analogies is that they make groobie the villain and she's certainly not that. Perhaps she's more like Leia inspiring Luke to leave the water vaporizers behind and go on an adventure against the wishes of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru, but that would mean my story is Tatooine, which doesn't quite work for me either. *scratches head and returns to drawing board* Maybe groobie's stories are the Turkish Delight...

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
More like that Queen from the Narnia books who leads astray the innocent boy with Turkish delight. [...] Maybe groobie's stories are the Turkish Delight...

Mmh... Turkish delight... So yummy... drool
Yeah, I think it fits wink

*totally OT*
You wouldn't believe it, but Lewis' description of those sweets impressed me so much when I read it as a little girl, that when last year I found them while on a trip in Israel (it was the first time in my life I saw a box of turkish delight) I bought them on the spot. And even my friends, who were at first skeptical about those exotic treats, became ecstatic when I explained that those were the sweets from the Narnia book. Ah, the power of literature!

Go I Know Not Whither and Fetch I Know Not What
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
Great story. I was distracted, though...I kept thinking Clark would just lower his glasses and keep reading her story out loud--with Lois standing in front of the monitor.

Shallowford
Top Banana
Top Banana
Absolutely loved it. And you definitely left me 'wanting more'.

KatherineKent/Victoria
Lois: "You put up with me for the same reason I put up with you. It's because I'm completely in love with you."
Clark: "And I love you ... Did we just make up?"
Lois: "I think so."
groobie Offline OP
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks, everyone! Very glad you all liked it. laugh I personally love Turkish Delight - we spent a month backpacking around Turkey for our honeymoon and visited Istanbul again with our son last year. Hopefully, Virginia, you can find a way to string all of those deleted scenes into one comprehensive nfic tale...the other side of the boards can always use new stories!

My husband teaches second grade. wink Plus, every kid my age in the '70s knows all about Schoolhouse Rock. Lolly Lolly Lolly Get Your Adverbs Here! Slight grammatical errors personally don't bother me at all (except for "alot"...oooooooh, it drives me insane when my students misspell that!), but I thought it would be a fun jumping off point for the story. laugh

Mrs. Young, whose signs at the front of her classroom look like this:
A ___________whiteboard, whiteboard, whiteboard, ____________ LOT

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Top Banana
Top Banana
clap

Another player for my game! Yay! I loved this take on it, though I think what Wanda (and Lois) really meant was "Kiss me slowly and thouroughy, and be quick about it!" devil

This *is* my happily ever after.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
hail notworthy hail notworthy hail

Never has grammar been sexier! I just absolutely love this story...

“I could show you the difference,” he said. Then Clark suddenly stood straighter and retreated slightly, as if he wanted to take back the words.

Lois looked around the bullpen. It was fairly empty for a Thursday night. Their conversation certainly didn’t seem to be drawing any attention. It couldn’t hurt to indulge in a short grammar lesson. Part of her, though, hoped he meant more than that. “Okay,” she said, hardly believing she had said it.

Clark took a deep breath, and a look of astonishment colored his face – he clearly hadn’t expected her to accept his challenge. They stood, silent and still, and the space between them filled with breathless anticipation. He looked into her eyes, searching for confirmation.

This part makes me squeal internally grin. That elusive 'line' crossing over between 'friendship' and 'more than friendship'. The dance--that they do so well in the show--is really brought to life here.

He moved away and watched her, waiting for the fallout from his action. Lois stared at him, hoping to understand herself. It was unacceptable – they shouldn’t be kissing in the middle of the bullpen. It was unacceptable – she shouldn’t be so drawn to her partner. The kiss was unacceptable – unacceptably brief.

I won't get into how many times I have read this paragraph. Ummm...how about we just say 'lots' notworthy clap thumbsup. Love the word repeat immensely.

“So, in the story, Wanda wants Kent to kiss her, quickly.” Clark couldn’t hide his smile as he said his own name.

That small little detail--the smile as Clark says his name...I don't know why, but I completely adore it. I think, maybe, it's because I can just, so easily, picture the smile on his lips. How happy he'd be, knowing that Lois is writing a novel--thinking about him smile.

Clark snickered as he shook his head and retreated to his desk. He indicated her computer screen with a nudge of his head. “Every good writer knows you should leave ‘em wanting more.”

Best. Ending. Ever.

Awesome job grin
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
smile1

Summary: A grammar lesson turns into an active demonstration.
LOIS: I don’t like it when he does certain things in superspeed razz

“Kiss me, quick.” Wanda quivered in anticipation as Kent reached for her.

“Quickly,” Clark Kent said with barely disguised amusement.
He’s such a Stannis. Also, it depends on whether she wants it to happen soon or short?

Lois Lane was startled by her partner’s voice. She stood up from her chair and turned around, hiding her computer screen with her body. Her hands grasped the edge of her desk. “Geez, Clark, you scared me.”
Huh, and here I thought she’d go off like a firecracker.

“Excuse me?” Lois swallowed against her dry throat. She felt flush – an increasingly familiar feeling brought on by her partner’s close presence. Oh, she had denied it to herself for so long, but there was an instinctive connection between them, a charge in the atmosphere that never seemed to dissipate.
So, her crime novel started to become a sex thriller when her partner showed up?

Lois turned halfway towards her screen, feeling slightly indignant. “What?” She reread the line of dialogue from her secret romance novel. “Who cares?”

“It makes a difference.”
I was going to say the editors care but considering just how bad the grammar is in today’s TV shows or…books eek I’m starting to think, only LnC fanfic writers. Every time they use ‘I’ instead of ‘me’ on a TV show, I die a little bit inside. And no, I’m fairly certain that that’s a recent phenomenon. Umm…where were we?

Lois looked back at him, and her body noticed with a rush of heat that Clark had moved an inch closer.
laugh Bad body. Bad!

She’d have liked to have blamed it on the intense fear that had come with the thought of Trask throwing her out of that plane, but, no, there was something more, something about Clark that made her want to reveal all of her secrets to him.
Maybe she wants him to read it and then stride into her bedroom, wearing only a windswept shirt and claim her from Superman’s arms?

She, in no way, felt compelled to reveal the fact that she had changed the character’s name from Alexander a month ago.
rotflol Also, she originally crushed on Lex?

Clark’s tongue darted over his lower lip. “Would you let me read it?” he asked in a low hush.

“No!” Lois’ hands reflexively gripped the edge of her desk harder. It was bad enough that Clark knew about her novel. The thought of him reading what she had written about her thinly veiled main characters – no, never!
Did she ever consider what would happen once she actually goes to publishing it?

A scene involving Wanda spying on a towel-clad Kent came to mind, and Lois couldn’t help but recall her inspiration. Her heartbeat fluttered.
Only in the novel, it fell?

So you could say, for example, ‘Give me a quick kiss.’ But I think you meant, ‘Kiss me, quickly.’”

She watched as Clark’s eyes lowered to her mouth, and she licked out her own tongue, spreading the moisture with a slide over her lips. “Sort of the same,” she said.

“I could show you the difference,” he said.
evil

It couldn’t hurt to indulge in a short grammar lesson.
‘grammar’, huh?

They stood, silent and still, and the space between them filled with breathless anticipation.
I think she’s going to come around to kissing her quickly.

The kiss was unacceptable – unacceptably brief.
clap

In the space of less than a second, Clark left a brief whisper of a kiss against her lips, and then pulled away.

Lois blinked twice as her mind rebelled. That kiss was completely unacceptable!
Yes, I can see why she’s not seeing much of a difference yet.

She shouldn’t want this; she had forbidden herself from wanting this, had worked so hard to deny this.
She *forbade* Lois Lane something? Hasn’t she learned anything in the past 26 years?

God, what a man! Lois worked her hand under Clark’s shirt until she was able to flatten her palm against the base of his spine. His endless kiss enflamed and consumed her, stoking a wanton desire for more. Her left knee pressed against his leg, then started to slide north.
/clears throat/ Lane! Kent! Perry’s office, now!

Clark’s pupils dilated as he drew in a sharp breath. Then he squeezed his eyes shut, took a step backwards, and tucked in his shirt. He tugged at the front of his pant leg. Lois was amused by what she thought that action meant.
laugh

Lois glanced at the clock. It was definitely quitting time. “Tomorrow? Friday’s traditionally date night.”

“Tonight,” Clark said assertively. “We’ve waited long enough.”
So, to keep it traditionally, that would be dinner tonight, then Friday, and Saturday would probably be a good idea as well. And then breakfast on Sunday morning, huh?

Clark snickered as he shook his head and retreated to his desk. He indicated her computer screen with a nudge of his head. “Every good writer knows you should leave ‘em wanting more.”
Dangerous waters there, my boy. Dangerous waters indeed. Wait, is the story over? confused mecry

groobie, I find reading your stories makes it more difficult to have my own characters keep their hands off each other. You're quickly making me fill up my deleted scene folder.
[Linked Image] We have an entire dedicated board section for this sort of thing. It most certainly doesn’t belong in the deleted scene folder.

Originally Posted by HiddenMoon
P.S.: Speaking of sequels... What about Quick vs. Quickly vs.... Quickie?
That’s an *awesome* idea! hyper

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Features Writer
Features Writer
What a fun story! I had a smile on my face for most of it -- I've always loved the little moments where Clark is editing her copy, and this was the perfect embodiment of all those tiny moments. I also love the way you describe Clark and his expressions and mannerisms; even for me, who hasn't watched an episode for awhile (way too long), you perfectly conjured him up in my mind's eye. And I love how happy and smug and pleased Clark is to find her fantasizing about someone with HIS name (not Superman's)!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard