Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#267707 12/02/15 02:31 AM
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
Well, this has been quite the long time coming, but the end is finally here. I hope you all enjoy it, and if you do, then thanks are definitely due to my wonderful beta-readers groobie (who remained dedicated to the story even when I didn't know anything about Cat's life or shampoo scents), KenJ (who politely didn't say anything when I kept taking flights of fancy in my choice of words), and Morgana (who just shook her head when I ignored all her requests for more dialogue in the story; sorry about that!), for all their help and hard work!

Thanks to all of you readers, too, who kept coming back to the story despite all the long delays in posting, and who gave me a chance even on such a terribly depressing premise! Hope it was worth it by the end!

And of course, thanks to the show that inspired me to fall in love with every incarnation of Superman, and to write hundreds of thousands of words of fanfiction! smile

Hope you enjoy!

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Perry! wallbash Of course! I'd forgotten about him. No wonder he was sitting alone in his office, still drinking.

I can understand how the bullpen wasn't the same without Lois and Clark being there but standoffish and no Jimmy.

Yes, this ending is much better than any happily ever after romance could be. Thank you for coming back and adding in this one last scene. This is truly what forgiveness is all about.

Don't forget to let us know when you finish your original novel. smile Good luck, and don't forget us back here on the boards, once everyone else discovers what a wonderful knitter of yarns you are. (That sounded better in my head, but you know what I mean.)

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
This story was ambitious and showcased your talent as a writer. It was my absolute honor and pleasure to read for you. notworthy

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
F
Kerth
Kerth
F
Delightful ending

Framework4
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
This quote almost made me cry:

But Perry looks up from the bottle sitting on his desk, and he studies the darkened office that encapsulates his life, the bullpen beyond, quiet and dead, and the elevator. Silent and empty. No one coming up to see him. No little happy family of workaholics staying late to tease him. No idealistic country boy following behind a fast-talking city reporter, both of them fighting smiles and trading banter. No young copyboy barging into Perry’s office every few minutes to call him ‘Chief’ and bring him cold coffee and stale donuts. Just an old man, alone with his regrets.

You show us how much things have changed. And then....you restore it in a believable and wonderful fashion!! Let's hear it for forgiveness and moving on!!! Yeah!!!

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
This epilogue is not at all what I had expected, but it is better. Less predictable and much more true to life. No, things are not the same as they were before the story started, but rarely if ever in life are there any complete, 100% "do overs" with no consequences for one's mistakes.

This part ended on a healing, hopeful, but still realistic, note.

Thank you for taking us on this roller coaster of a story.

Joy,
Lynn

B
Blogger
Blogger
B
An absolutely perfect ending to a very unusual, complex and beautiful story. Thank you so much for writing it, and for not leaving Perry on his own with a bottle of regrets.

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I was thrilled to see you post, and very excited to read the ending...

And, after reading all the feedback, I have to agree with Lynn. The epilogue wasn't what I expected either. BUT--thinking about it for a bit--I don't think what I was picturing could have been realistic.

I don't know why (habit maybe? wallbash grin ), but in my mind, when I was looking forward to reading this posting, I was picturing a fast-forward to almost 'a day in the life' of work at the Planet. Clark, practically back to normal. Lois...somehow back, partnered with Clark at the newspaper. James...hmm, not sure 'where' I put him, but probably not at the DP, but at the Foundation. Perry...being Perry, running the show. Very much like pre-article--besides James, obviously, having moved on in his career.

But know what? I am so glad that I was wrong!

My ramblings above make no sense...not after everything that has happened. You don't 'go back'--have 'normal' again--after having the confusion, the heartache, the betrayal, and the pain of that article. After experiencing--living--those months, you can't not carry them with you.

Hopefully, when you have one of those 'moments' in life that changes you, you grow. You learn. You move forward...better, smarter, wiser. You showed us that that has happened.

I love how you didn't give us a standard type of ending. Things aren't the same...therefore the end can't get us to what is normally 'Lois & Clark'. You've shown us--completely--the cause and effect of people's choices. And I really admire how you stuck to that throughout the story.

You brought everyone back together--Lois, Clark, Jimmy, and Perry are okay. And I'm sure, with time, they will become every bit as close as they were before all of this happened.

And...based on what we've learned from these characters...they'll all be stronger for having gone through this--together smile.

Awesome job--such a privilege to read!
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Kerth
Kerth
Originally Posted by LMA
You've shown us--completely--the cause and effect of people's choices.
Exactly! This is reality, not fantasy. There are lasting consequences to Lois' actions. Anti-K found a way for Clark and Lois to come together romantically, but Lois' career has been severely effected by the fallout from her story, and there's no getting around that. Perry has been broken, too - it's good that we have hope for his future here in the epilogue.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
The ending of this amazing, daring story was perfection. Thanks so much for asking me to come along for the ride, which at times was rather bumpy and a little scary.

Hope to see another story by Anti-K soon! wave

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What a thought-provoking, if not depressing at times, tale! You've done an amazing job of showing what the devastation could be if our heroes made one, albeit huge, mistake. Not only was Clark's life nearly permanently destroyed, but everyone's lives are irrevocably changed, even if they weren't part of the initial story breaking (I'm looking at you, James).

I'm oddly glad you didn't end with a wedding or proposal, or even with Lois finding her way back to the Planet. It will be a long, slow healing process for our favorite foursome, if they ever fully heal at all. (I'm a little fearful of Perry becoming an alcoholic if he's still drinking despite Clark being "resurrected," so to speak.

Thank you for sharing this bleak tale. You know I'll come along on any ride you invite us all on. Please write more soon!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard