[Previously: Lavinia and Cedric had a chance for another short ride together, and had hoped to dance together again that evening, but ...]

Jacques watched in stony silence as Cedric quickly dressed in the Masked Avenger's garments. All during the trip from his room to the tunnel, Cedric had preserved an austere front, not sharing--or inviting--comment. Jacques had known, as soon as Cedric had returned from the drawing-room, that something had happened to upset him. He just wasn't sure exactly what it was.

Finally, having decided that Cedric had had things his own way long enough, Jacques began to tell him, in more detail, what he'd had time to only mention when Cedric was on the point of going down to dinner. There was a rumour that a coach was expected through their area that night and on board it would be a very wealthy man. Exactly who this personage was, Jacques had not been able to discover, but he'd heard where the ambush was supposed to be sprung and when, and that was as much information as they'd gotten on similar occasions. Still, though, Jacques was uneasy. A tiny alarm bell was ringing in the back of his brain, but he had no logical basis for his fears, and so forbore to mention them to his friend. Cedric, apparently, had enough to think about.

By the time Jacques had finished his tale, Cedric was pulling on his boots. And, while Cedric was fastening his cloak, Jacques went to saddle one of the horses. They both went about their tasks in silence, but when Cedric came up to take the reins, Jacques could no longer keep his tongue still.

"The rain, it is falling harder. Perhaps they will not rob tonight, or that fine gentleman will not journey tonight."

Cedric, feeding a bit of apple to his mount, did not reply at once. When he did speak, Jacques wondered if the other man had heard what he'd said.

"I had to lie to her, Jacques. She's the most honest person I know, and I had to lie to her. Just today I asked her to trust me. What will she think of me, if ... when she discovers what I've done?"

Jacques laid a hand on his young friend's shoulder. "If she loves you, mon ami, she will understand."

Cedric looked up at that, and Jacques smiled encouragingly at him, watching for signs that his words had had an effect. And they did, for Cedric nodded, his expression purposeful once again, his shoulders straighter and his smile confident. "She does love me, Jacques."

"Formidable! Then you have nothing to fear," Jacques replied, his arms wide in an expansive and very Gallic gesture, "except, perhaps, if you do not concentrate tonight. Try to remember what I have taught you!"

Cedric laughed and mounted his horse. "I shall try not to embarrass you."

He leant down, extending his hand to his friend, but when Jacques reached to grasp it, he was filled with foreboding once again. He held the younger man's hand tightly, trying to shake off his fears, and only partly succeeding. He knew Cedric was resourceful and intelligent, but ....

"Be careful."

Cedric heard the note of uncertainty in his mentor's voice. "What is wrong, old friend? I will have a care, I promise you."

Jacques forced himself to release Cedric's hand and step back. He knew he must not allow his fears to erode Cedric's confidence, or cause him to be distracted from his task. "I know you will, Cedric. It is the rain, I think. It is making me worry like an old woman."

He was rewarded by seeing Cedric's brow clear. "Don't worry for me, Jacques. Remember ... I always seem to land on my feet." He turned the horse, pointing its nose towards the end of the tunnel, and the cave. "Keep a fire burning in my room, will you? I think I shall be glad of one when I return."

"But of course, mon ami. Bon chance!"

He watched as Cedric rode away. Just as he disappeared around a bend in the tunnel, Jacques had to bite back an impulse to recall him. "Sacre bleu! I am turning into an old woman," he muttered to himself, disgustedly.

"Mademoiselle! Mademoiselle!"

Lavinia came awake with a jolt to find Jeanne leaning over her bed. Tears were on her cheeks and she was nearly incoherent.

"What is it, Jeanne? What has happened?"

"Oh, mademoiselle! Le Vengeur est mort! The Avenger ... he has been murdered!"

Last edited by ChrisM; 11/22/15 09:23 PM. Reason: suggested change