[Previously: Lavinia and Cedric have finally declared their love for each other. Lavinia was able to confide in Cedric about how the loathsome Claude had treated her. Cedric has promised to work hard so that the two of them can be together someday. We rejoin them a bit later on that same day:]

By mid-day the clouds had dissipated enough that Cedric and Lavinia thought it might be safe to take a ride to the village. She had visited the village of Kentham before with Lucius, but Cedric was able to point out more of the interesting landmarks for her, and to introduce her to more of the townspeople. The most moving part of their visit, however, came when he took her to view the church and its grounds, for his grandfather was buried there. It touched her deeply that he shared this special part of his life with her. She wanted to put some flowers on the tomb, so they wandered the hillside, picking wildflowers. Their visit was cut short by the re-gathering clouds but, as they laid their autumn flower offering on the tomb, Cedric promised that they would return soon.

They didn't see one another again until tea time. Cedric had been out in the mist to see to something on the estate, and Lavinia had spent the remainder of the afternoon helping her father in the Library. They each had much to think about and it had been soothing to have something with which to occupy their time.

For him it was now even more imperative than before to find a way to overcome his uncle and force him to live abroad once more. His whole being longed to be with Lavinia forever but as long as Lucius was allowed to continue with his criminal activities, Cedric felt honour bound to continue as the Masked Avenger. If, however, Lucius could no longer live at Kentham ...? Cedric's daydreams became very pleasant indeed with that thought.

For her, deep inside she felt a security she'd not known for quite some time. It was almost, she mused, as if Claude had never happened, as if he were just part of a story that had happened to someone else. Cedric was with her now and his love made her feel stronger and more ... more herself than she could remember feeling since before her father had inherited his cousin's estate.

Over the tea cups, with her father there, they could hardly resume their professions of love, so they spoke of small things. Lavinia shared what she had seen and heard in the village, and they both listened to the professor's latest discoveries. Only at the end when were they alone, just after her father had left the room but before the servant came to clear away the tray, did they make plans for another evening of dancing and togetherness.

It was not to be, however, because when Lavinia came into the drawing-room, dressed for dinner, she surprised Cedric in the act of rubbing his forehead. He looked a little pale, and she questioned him about how he was feeling. He admitted to being tired, but assured her he would be fine. Just then her father and Mrs. Clark came into the room, and she allowed the matter to drop, but she was concerned nonetheless.

They stood conversing for a few moments but, when the door opened again to admit the butler, and Cedric suddenly turned his head, it was obvious that he was in pain.

"Monsieur!" the professor exclaimed. "You are ill!"

"No, monsieur, it is only one of my stupid headaches. I'm sorry to ... to ...."

Lavinia was too worried about him to even feel disappointment that their plans for the evening would be spoiled. "Monsieur Cedric, you should be in your bed, surely," she told him, laying a hand on his arm in sympathy.

He didn't want to go, he told them, didn't want to leave them without a host for the evening, but they insisted that he take care of himself. Finally, apologising once more, he gave in to their entreaties and agreed to go to his room and lie down.

"I have an old herbal remedy for the headache. I could mix it for you, if your Jacques...?" Lavinia began, and received the impression that this suggestion frightened him. It was too brief, however, for her to be sure, and then he was saying it would be better if he were not disturbed.

"I've learned, through bitter experience, that the best thing for these headaches is to lie in a completely darkened room until they go away. Jacques knows what to do if I need anything."

That seemed reasonable so they wished him a speedy recovery, and urged him once again to take care of himself. By now Lavinia believed she knew why he hesitated to accept her remedy. Their relationship was still too new for him to allow her to help him. Very well, she thought, she would respect that for now, but once they were married, she wasn't going to put up with such foolishness!