Print Thread
#267398 11/15/15 03:24 AM
N
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
N
Place for comments!

"Let me help. A hundred years or so from now, I believe, a famous novelist will write a classic using that theme. He'll recommend those three words even over I love you." JTK to EK (City on the Edge of Forever)
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
wallbash So, no, Clark didn't overhear Lois's conversation with Perry. Of course not. That would be too easy. ARGH!

“I need everything you can find out about ‘ACL Corporation.’”
Wait. How does Clark know about ACL Corp already, again? It was in the file that Lois found, right? Or was there another way? I can't recall.

Lois's hands clenched into fists. She just wanted to reach over and strangle him. It was like trying to talk to a brick wall! “Well, since you’re my partner right now,” she said, forcing her voice to sound bright, “it’s your job to trust my instincts, and my gut says there’s something wrong with her.”
Ooops. That's just the wrong thing to say to Clark at this time.

Not only did she refuse to deal with the reality of her situation by talking to someone about all the feelings she was bottling up inside, but she never listened to him and always expected him to listen to her. Real equal. He snorted. She’d told him when they’d first met that she was top banana, and, even after all these months, nothing had changed.
He does have a point.

“You snorted. What?” she repeated.

“Nothing,” he said evenly. “Where do you want to get coffee?”

Her eyes narrowed. “What are you thinking?”

“Lo-is. I’m thinking about where we’re going to get coffee.”
Why doesn't he just tell her the truth? That why should he trust her instincts if she never trusts his?

Lois was still fuming. She’d been patient with Clark for months, and he still refused to let her in. Even if he’d never loved her or had fallen out of love with her, that didn’t mean they couldn’t go back to being friends. She’d thought they were best friends, and now they barely talked. She slowed as the sense of loss hit her once more. He’d been right there for just a second. She had felt him thinking at her, just like in the old days. Yes, he was upset, but he’d been there. And now he was gone again. She didn’t know what to do. Maybe this wasn’t fixable. Maybe it was time for them to go their separate ways, permanently.
Clark better get to admitting what's bothering him sooner rather than later, or Lois is going to make up her mind that she no longer wants anything more to do with him.

Clark ran a hand through his hair. “So, I guess you’re headed to the Bureau of Vital Statistics, and I should get back to the Planet.”
So much for sticking like glue to Lois so that she has an alibi.

“How are things going with you and Clark?” he asked.
huh What's that stuff at the front of this line?

Lois actually considered it for a moment, but then decided that she wasn’t up for hours of Elvis, and she did not appreciate Clark or Perry trying to babysit her. “That’s okay, Chief. I’ll be fine.”
Um... Clark isn't offering to babysit her. Also, doesn't she want an alibi if her double does something again? Something worse? Oh, Lois. It's for your own protection!

Jimmy burst in the door. “Chief! It’s Superman!”

“Jimmy! What have I told you about barging in here—what? Superman? Where?”

“There’s a fire at that chemical plant on the bay!”

“We’ll finish this later. Lois, get down there and get me the story! Olsen, go with her and get me some good photos!”
Smart move! Have Jimmy be her alibi. I keep forgetting that Superman only just returned that morning, saving that man from falling off the building. I'm surprised Lois or Perry hadn't heard about it yet.

Boy, nivafrer, you're really doing a great job of keeping Lois and Clark at being stubborn. Every time I think I see a chink in their wall, you slab up some more concrete.

Clark better talk to Lois soon or she will no longer be there to talk to. She can't apologize again and try to be better if she doesn't know what's bothering you, Clark!

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
I just started on your story and read all five parts in one go before turning in for the night. It was a very enjoyable read, and I'm looking forward to reading more of your work. smile

I especially like how you manage to show what your characters are feeling without turning your story into endless introspection. The idea of having Clark write about his problem in the form of fiction is inspired. Sure it's going to turn into a best seller eventually, isn't it? wink

I also like how you mix your A- and B-plots. thumbsup

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
Features Writer
Features Writer
Lois's hands clenched into fists. She just wanted to reach over and strangle him. It was like trying to talk to a brick wall! “Well, since you’re my partner right now,” she said, forcing her voice to sound bright, “it’s your job to trust my instincts, and my gut says there’s something wrong with her.” Lois just hoped that her instincts hadn’t gone on permanent strike. They hadn’t gone off around Lex. If they started going off around people without a reason, she’d never live it down.

Clark’s jaw clenched. Trust her instincts? Right. Like the way she’d trusted his instincts when he’d talked himself hoarse trying to warn her about Luthor for months before she’d almost married the man. This was exactly why partnership with Lois didn’t work, why a relationship with her would never work. Not only did she refuse to deal with the reality of her situation by talking to someone about all the feelings she was bottling up inside, but she never listened to him and always expected him to listen to her. Real equal. He snorted. She’d told him when they’d first met that she was top banana, and, even after all these months, nothing had changed.

I like how you explain both points of view succinctly. Now if they'd only confide in each other!

“Have Jimmy check into Mrs. Luthor while you’re at it,” Lois ordered.

“Yes, Lois,” Clark said, trying to keep the sarcasm out of his voice but failing.

Lois is apparently clueless that this is not the way to treat Clark. Of course she seems clueless about how her actions affect others, and how demeaning and cutting her comments and attitudes are.

Loved the transition with Clark needing to return to his parents into the scene with Jonathan on the ladder.

Really enjoyed this chapter. clap
Looking forward to your next one.

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I'm really enjoying this story smile...

But, boy oh boy, Clark and Lois have GOT to talk! Clark's indifference--which is starting to drive Lois crazy--is really getting wonderfully frustrating to me, too. He needs to tell her what he feels, how much hurt he's carrying, how much trust he has lost in her/their friendship.

One thing I love about Clark, especially early in the series, is how he calls Lois out. He doesn't let her get away with treating him like she treats everyone else. He stands his ground, gives everything back to her. He's wonderfully sweet, but throws in sarcasm, his opinion, also. You can really tell how broken this Clark is now...his short responses, his deferral to let her plan their investigation, his lack of personality around her. He's so much not himself.

Lois is the one I tend to worry about normally--because Clark is so much a rock for her to lean on. Lois has been through a lot, and is going through a lot currently, but I really hope she can step away from her situation a bit. Make Clark talk to her, get him to open up. Recognize that he's hurting, too.

Because I think once Clark starts to come around, he'll bring Lois 'back' with him wink.

Loving this!
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
N
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
N
Lol, I agree, y'all. They do so need to talk, but IMO it takes time and perspective and people outside of the relationship to kick your butt, especially when you have two such stubborn people in a relationship, so yeah..... don't kill me that they refuse to actually have it out! It's L&C--we all know they'll get there in the end somehow smile

ACL Corp was just from the paperwork, Virginia. I switched up the order of things in this episode b/c the order in the show didn't work for me. Logically, I can't see them NOT going to the doctor's office the same day they start the investigation. I mean, this seems like an early step to me. Anyway! they find out via the paperwork that Lois um, appropriates. And no idea what the weirdness was. I mean, it was a beginning quote, but I have no clue why it changed it to "“" when I pasted it in. Hopefully it's not an obnoxious amount of concrete wink I get cranky with them too, but I think it's understandable given their history. As I said in the beginning, I don't think a quick fix is possible. I just read an AOS ST fic where there was some major betrayal and it took SIX YEARS for them to fix it and I found myself thinking it was actually pretty realistic given the amount of crap both parties had to work through. I see this timeframe as being sort of the perfect storm that stirs up both L&C's unresolved childhood issues as well as all the junk in their relationship with each other and how those things interact. It's a mess, but I promise it won't take six years to work out wink

Thanks for the encouragement, Lara! It's been a lot of fun trying to balance all that! I'm still not super happy with introspection levels throughout, but hopefully it won't be obnoxious amounts, and I sorta feel like you have to have some introspection to force that character development. Necessary evils and all that smile

Thanks, cuidadora! I so agree. They do need to actually share their thought processes! It's amazing how many relational issues could be avoided through sharing. And yay! That whole point about Lois is something I wanted to force her to deal with, which is a big part of why I haven't tied them down and made them share yet.

Thanks, Laura! I love that about Clark too! It's so perfect for Lois, and dare I say, for pretty much anyone laugh But yeah, I felt like Clark was really broken. I feel like people tend to use Clark's steadiness as a foil to explore Lois's issues, but the reality is that he's got plenty of issues himself--and by "he" I mean the man who is both Clark and Superman and struggling to integrate those parts of his personality without losing either of them, the kid who found out he was an alien from space and had to live his whole life as a secret, who never learned to trust anyone but his parents, etc., etc. So I wanted to play in a world where we got to see that they are really equally broken and this timeframe in the series is so perfect for that. Or at least, it SHOULD have been if the writers hadn't just glossed over the massive issues stirred up/caused by HOL smile Not that I'm bitter about that or anything.....

"Let me help. A hundred years or so from now, I believe, a famous novelist will write a classic using that theme. He'll recommend those three words even over I love you." JTK to EK (City on the Edge of Forever)
Kerth
Kerth
Thanks for the encouragement, Lara! It's been a lot of fun trying to balance all that! I'm still not super happy with introspection levels throughout, but hopefully it won't be obnoxious amounts, and I sorta feel like you have to have some introspection to force that character development. Necessary evils and all that
Sure it is. But, as the saying goes, "dosis facit venenum". (I hope I got the word endings right - it's been a while, really.) Up to now, you seem to balance things quite well, and I really like how you came up with a way of "indirect introspection", for example by alluding to Clark's writing, but without putting down every letter of it. laugh That part really is brilliant IMHO.

The only known quantity that moves faster than
light is the office grapevine. (from Nan's fabulous Home series)
N
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
N
Nice! I've never heard that saying before, but I definitely will have to use it now that I have! I'd be really interested to hear what you think about that balance come the end of the fic. Thus far in my writing career, I've been publishing analogical fiction. The book I just started writing is mostly straight up fantasy, but I'm so all about character development that during the outlining stage, I was wrestling with how to fit in the necessary B plot elements. Writing this fan fic was a way to take a break from my own work while I was sick, but also to try to find some of that balance with characters that are really clearly defined, if that makes sense. Anyway! As I said, I'd love to hear your opinion once I've finished pouring on all of Lois' introspection.

Top Banana
Top Banana

I personally see that Clark's understanding of Lois' thought processes is the only way that he is going to get past his 'issues' with Lois. I have been (patiently) waiting for you to finally get back to that part of the story which I believe is the heart of the story based on the title. Of course Lois needs the introspection as well as she will not really forgive herself for what she did until she understands fully why she did it. Additionally will she find out about the cage and what happened to Clark/Superman during her 'wedding'? That could put her into another tailspin particularly if she and Clark are still on the outs at that time.

I await the next chapter.

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 11/22/15 02:36 AM.

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

N
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
N
Man, I so agree, Mike!! Why don't they ever talk about that?! I never understand, even in fan fic, how people expect Lois or Clark to move on without first figuring out why they responded the way they did in the first place--both their own issues and the other person's. Way to be patient wink Thanks for the encouragement!

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard