"Arson?!" Lois stared in open-mouthed shock at the young boy sitting between her and Clark. Even though this wasn't actually her son, she couldn't stop the anger and confusion that began to bubble up. "Why on earth would you--"

"Did anyone see him do it?" Clark interrupted.

Both Lois and the boy turned to stare at him, though the kid quickly returned his attention to the floor.

Mrs. Hirsch frowned and adjusted her spectacles. "No," she admitted, "though, as I said, Mr. Kent, it was pretty clear what must have happened."

"It seems like circumstantial evidence to me, Mrs. Hirsch," Clark returned.

Lois repressed a snort. "It's good enough for you when Lex is involved," she muttered.

Clark shot her a look.

The principal's frown deepened. "Mr. Kent," she said crisply, "I know this isn't news that any parent ever wants to hear about their child, but turning a blind eye now will only set him up for more serious problems down the road."

A muscle in Clark's jaw twitched. "I'm sure that this is just a misunderstanding," he said. "Just let us bring him home early today, and I guarantee you that everything will be sorted out by tomorrow." Lois stared at him as though he'd lost his mind.

Mrs. Hirsch narrowed her eyes at Clark suspiciously. "Whether you can 'sort it out' or not," she said after a moment, "We do have a zero tolerance policy in place. Now, since Lane has been a model student up until now, we've decided not to expel him at this time. However, he is being suspended for three days--effective immediately."

The three of them quietly made their way to the jeep. Once behind the wheel, Lois leaned over towards Clark. "You got the address, right?" she whispered.

"348 Hyperion avenue," he whispered back.

The silence resumed for a while as Lois drove. She glanced over to see Clark sneaking peeks at Lane in the rearview mirror, an awestruck expression on his face. "Quit staring!" she hissed.

"Sorry," he whispered back. "It's just that he's...well...you know."

Lois flushed. "No, he isn't," she hissed.

"Technically, he is," Clark countered softly.

"There is no way she's Lois Lane," Lois whispered, her face still trying to match the color of Superman's cape. "I would never have--"

"We're here!" Clark announced loudly, causing Lois's foot to hit the brake too soon. She glared at him before turning her attention to pulling into the correct drive.

After several minutes of trying keys, they managed to let themselves into a rather nice, welcoming-looking house. The boy hesitated on the threshold.

"Ah, are you coming in?" Clark asked, nervously.

"Where are my parents?" the kid asked.

Lois and Clark exchanged a look.

"Don't be silly," Lois began. "We're--"

"We think they're in our world," Clark answered.

Lois glared at her partner.

"Your world?" Lane echoed.

Clark nodded. "Do the names Asabi or Tempus mean anything to you?" He sighed when Lane shook his head. "Never mind, then. The short version is that we are Lois Lane and Clark Kent, just not the ones from here. I promise you, we don't mean you any harm and we'll do our best to get your real parents back to you as soon as we can."

Lane stared at him for a while, then sighed. "It's official," he said. "This is the worst day of my life."

~•~