Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#267115 11/04/15 04:02 AM
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Just a small little thing I'm trying to weave into a fic. Does anybody have any idea who could be an equal/opposite of Elvis Presley? I'm trying to think of people Perry would quote outside of Elvis, but generationally I don't think there's really any comparison. For now I've been working with Beatles quotes and references, because they're close to the same level of fame/game-changers in music, but I know the Beatles are a little bit later in time. huh

Any suggestions?

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
How about Chuck Berry, who is called "the father or Rock & Roll"?

Joy,
Lynn

Top Banana
Top Banana
When you say 'opposite' I am not sure what you mean. To me a contemporary of Elvis that was 'opposite' and actually quite quotable and has plenty of stories to tell would be Sinatra. The Rat Pack and mob ties would have made plenty for Perry to relate. His age in the mid nineties would have been late 50's to 60 which would have put him at the edge of the generation that thought Frank was cool and Frank was still pretty popular in the 1950's and on into the early 1960's.

Anyway just another idea.

Mike

Last edited by Mike M; 11/04/15 08:32 AM.

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I think Sinatra is a good idea.

How about Jerry Lee Lewis? He and Elvis would probably be most similar with regards to music--everything else could qualify as opposite.

Shallowford
Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Sinatra's a great idea! What I meant by equal/opposite was someone on the same level as Elvis as far as fame goes, but nothing like him in musical style or history. I was really struggling with the Beatles because (a) I don't listen to the Beatles a lot and (b) I could get it to sound right. Using myself as an example, I might love a group that comes out now, like... hmm... (insert current band of choice that isn't One Direction). But I wouldn't tell stories or get super obsessed with them (maybe) like I would about my favorite childhood groups, like they were my hero. Elvis is Perry's idol, and the Beatles just came around too late for his level of fandom (for lack of a better word). goofy

--Mark Twain
Top Banana
Top Banana
That was the way I read the request. Glad to have helped. Anything to get another Mouse story up and going...

dance

Mike

Create all the happiness you are able to create.
Remove all the misery you are able to remove.

Jeremy Bentham

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was going to suggest Johnny Cash. Both Sinatra and Elvis did movies. Elvis is rock-n-roll and Cash more blue collar country, but still cool. Another option would be to go female, such as Doris Day. She also did movies (like Sinatra and Elvis) but was known to be more clean cut than those randy boys. Others might include Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, and Louis Armstrong (for variety). I recommend Googling "popular singers in the 50s" and a great list of them pop up.

Actually, we love that era at our house (it's hard for me to listen to any music produced after 1995. I loved to listen to oldies even when I was teenager.) My kids can recognize Elvis, Sinatra, and Johnny Cash's voices. They're trying to get me to switch the station to modern music, but failing miserably. (She who drives controls the radio dial.) Taylor Swift is okay but everyone else sounds the same.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Doris Day wasn't that clean cut when she was a singer apparently. Just being a woman had to be more discrete. Apparently she played on one movie role where she was not a nice character. They didn't have her do anymore because she was apparently the type that stay in character the whole time, not just the scenes but the whole time they were filming. No body wanted to go through that again.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by dcarson
Doris Day wasn't that clean cut when she was a singer apparently. Just being a woman had to be more discrete. Apparently she played on one movie role where she was not a nice character. They didn't have her do anymore because she was apparently the type that stay in character the whole time, not just the scenes but the whole time they were filming. No body wanted to go through that again.
Sad. Daniel Day Lewis can do that and get away with something like that but a woman try it.../shakes head/

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Kerth
Kerth
Not really sure, but this timeline from the 1950s onward may help:

http://www.rockmusictimeline.com/1950s.html

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
If you mean the movie role she didn't want to do it either if I remember correctly. Spending months of your life as someone that is nasty is not what a sane person enjoys.

The author Donald Westlake apparently limited the number of his parker mysteries that he wrote for similar reasons. Spending time in the head of a sociopath was not fun. The lighter Dortmunder books were more fun.

Kerth
OP Offline
Kerth
Ooh, Marcus, that's a fantastic little resource you've got there. sloppy Gonna make use of that for sure... although I think it's still mostly swaying me towards Frank Sinatra. laugh

--Mark Twain

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard