"Kiss me, quick!"

Lois didn't have much time to react before she found herself being pulled into Clark's embrace. A cacophony of whoops and wolf-whistles rose up into the air, under-scored by Perry's deep chuckle.

"All right, you two," their editor chided in a tone that was almost convincingly serious, "That's enough! This is a newspaper, not the honeymoon suite at the Lexor hotel."
When the coast was clear, Lois surreptitiously gave her partner an inquiring look.

"I'm sorry," he stammered sheepishly. "I overheard some of them talking. Apparently, it's suspicious for us not to act like we're...um..."

"Married," she whispered, catching him by surprise. She looked up into his wide eyes. "That's the explanation for a lot of what we found, isn't it? They're married."

He nodded mutely.

Lois snorted. "I'm supposed to be on a date with Lex Luthor, right now!" She hissed, making him wince. "If she blows it for me because of some insane fetish she has for green-jeans rookie reporters, I will find a way to make her pay!"

Clark didn't respond to her hushed outburst. "What are we going to do about..." he began, then trailed off.

The scowl cleared from Lois's face, and she looked up at him in confusion. "About what?" she asked. "The living arrangements?"

"The photo," he said quietly, nodding towards their desks.

Lois's jaw fell open as his meaning registered. "Oh, Clark," she whispered in horror, "we can't! How can we...? Maybe it's a mistake," she said hastily. "Maybe they don't actually have..." She was cut off by a ringing from her cell phone.

"Hello?" she answered, hoping for a good distraction to take her mind off of this growing insanity.

"Miss Lane," a woman's voice responded on the other end of the line, "This is Mrs. Hirsch, your son's principal. Would you mind coming down to the school? I'm afraid there's been some kind of incident."

~•~