ChrisM Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
C
Please leave comments here ...

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Oh, dear. Cedric has gone away for a few more days? wallbash Why must he torture Lavinia so? Doesn't he know that not only will her heart miss him terribly, she only has his uncle for company? Such cruelness!

So, Lucius has been hiring thieves to serve during the day and become highwaymen during the night. It explains why he sent away the old loyal staff upon his arrival.

I've been trying to figure out if Jacques is supposed to represent Perry or Jonathan. I see both figures in his personality and as he's older than Cedric, he couldn't possibly be Jimmy.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
C
ChrisM Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
C
Oh, dear. Cedric has gone away for a few more days? Why must he torture Lavinia so? Doesn't he know that not only will her heart miss him terribly, she only has his uncle for company? Such cruelness!
Sorry, VirginiaR, I'm not sure what you mean here. Cedric hasn't left again. He's down in the tunnel, with Jacques, for some fencing practice and a serious discussion about love and the timing thereof. They make reference to when they had been away at the farms, but that was the trip they took before the dinner party. He has finished that work and won't have to go out again.

So, Lucius has been hiring thieves to serve during the day and become highwaymen during the night. It explains why he sent away the old loyal staff upon his arrival.
True! That, and just to be mean. He knew that would bother Cedric.

I've been trying to figure out if Jacques is supposed to represent Perry or Jonathan. I see both figures in his personality and as he's older than Cedric, he couldn't possibly be Jimmy.
No, he's not Jimmy. I think you'll recognize Jimmy when you meet him.
You make a good point about Jacques being a combination of Jonathan and Perry. I think the scale tips a bit towards Jonathan, but Perry is there, too.

Great discussions! I've missed this.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by ChrisM
Oh, dear. Cedric has gone away for a few more days? Why must he torture Lavinia so? Doesn't he know that not only will her heart miss him terribly, she only has his uncle for company? Such cruelness!
Sorry, VirginiaR, I'm not sure what you mean here. Cedric hasn't left again. He's down in the tunnel, with Jacques, for some fencing practice and a serious discussion about love and the timing thereof. They make reference to when they had been away at the farms, but that was the trip they took before the dinner party. He has finished that work and won't have to go out again.
Oh, it had sounded as if this was a few days later from when they first showed us the tunnel and were just returning from another adventure / trip out of the area. (Hence being informed of the new groom.) Had he just returned from a trip the day of the party, ie. the day before? For some reason, I thought he had returned several days before and, therefore, any news of a new groom would have been told to Cedric before this point. Had he only just returned (when Lavinia bumped into him in the hall with his supper), then this delay in informing Cedric would make more sense.

Is it odd that Cedric runs the estate, yet Lucius would take charge of not only hiring a groom, but not informing Cedric of the new employee? I mean, this fact in itself would raise a flag with Cedric, would it not? Unless, of course, the groom is considered a servant hired by the butler. Lucius might think he's being sneaky but those in lower quarters (and sadly, this includes Cedric) see all.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
What a bind for Cedric to be in! dizzy

To be in love with the woman that his uncle is chasing, to be living his life at home 'undercover' as to not make his uncle suspicious, to believe his uncle is the root of all the evil going on around him, to have a secret identity that could get him killed...AND to have lost his parents when he was young, and then later his grandfather, who he cared so much about thud.

Something has got to go right for this sweet--and adorable thumbsup --man.

I think finding true love could (somehow? please?) overcome a lot of this grovel notworthy clap...

Loving this story, Chris!
Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
C
ChrisM Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
C
Oh, it had sounded as if this was a few days later from when they first showed us the tunnel and were just returning from another adventure / trip out of the area. (Hence being informed of the new groom.) Had he just returned from a trip the day of the party, ie. the day before? For some reason, I thought he had returned several days before and, therefore, any news of a new groom would have been told to Cedric before this point. Had he only just returned (when Lavinia bumped into him in the hall with his supper), then this delay in informing Cedric would make more sense.
More good questions. I hope I can answer all of them for you.
Cedric was always going to be due back at Kentham by the date of the dinner party. That was mentioned by Lavinia at one point, and then later by Cedric himself. When she bumps into him near the head of the stairs, he and Jacques had returned just a short time before. Cedric had collected a plate with a simple supper and was quietly making his way to his office, trying to avoid being seen by the Earl's guests. Lucky for him, tho, he "bumps" into Lavinia. :-)
While he and Jacques were away for a week, the new groom appeared. Jacques eventually hears about this man and the next night (the first after they have returned), when they are in the tunnel for the fencing practice, he mentions it to Cedric.
Is it odd that Cedric runs the estate, yet Lucius would take charge of not only hiring a groom, but not informing Cedric of the new employee? I mean, this fact in itself would raise a flag with Cedric, would it not? Unless, of course, the groom is considered a servant hired by the butler. Lucius might think he's being sneaky but those in lower quarters (and sadly, this includes Cedric) see all.
I think it's important here to consider that Lucius isn't your usual upper class employer, nor is Cedric the usual kind of steward. In a more normal arrangement, yes, I think you are correct that a steward would have at least some input into hiring and firing. Although, the lord of the manor would have the ultimate say in everything. I doubt, tho, that the butler would have anything to do with the outdoor servants. He would be in charge of the male indoor servants, just as the housekeeper would be in charge of the female indoor servants. The Head Groom would discipline the grooms and stable boys; the Head Gardner would manage the under gardners, etc.
But, getting back to Lucius and Cedric. I think Lucius would do anything he liked with any part of the estate, or its people. He fired many of the older household staff practically before he'd unpacked, getting rid of anyone who might have known him as he was growing up and putting in a lot of new people. Cedric and Jacques now don't know who to trust. Who is just there as a real servant and who might be assisting Lucius with his criminal activities, so they are suspicious of anyone they don't know or who is new since the grandfather's time.

C
ChrisM Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
C
Something has got to go right for this sweet--and adorable--man.
I think finding true love could (somehow? please?) overcome a lot of this.
Loving this story, Chris!
Thanks, Laura! I feel for Cedric, too, believe me! But, a hero needs a villain and a situation worthy of him, don't you agree?
Somehow, I have a feeling that things will start to improve for Cedric. ;-)

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
True, very true...

Can not wait to read more smile

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard