Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
VirginiaR #266278 09/24/15 02:25 PM
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Apparently, that quick fix for the number lock key was temporary as I feared it would be. grumble It worked that one day, but the next day it was back to being turned off when I turn my computer on. I don't understand the concept of making a program that turns off all of your settings every time you turn it on. Does a car with electronic seat adjustment move it back to factory specs every time you turn off your car? No, it leaves your seat exactly where you left it! splat
Actually ... I drove a rental car that moved the seat back every time I opened the door. I had readjust it every time, which was a royal pain in the keister. It was a semi-luxury car, too (or so I was told by every man at work, because they all had to stop and stare at it in admiration). I was really glad when my nice, normal Ford Focus was fixed and I could go back to driving it.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Annie B. #266287 09/25/15 11:29 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally Posted by Annie B.
Actually ... I drove a rental car that moved the seat back every time I opened the door. I had readjust it every time, which was a royal pain in the keister. It was a semi-luxury car, too (or so I was told by every man at work, because they all had to stop and stare at it in admiration). I was really glad when my nice, normal Ford Focus was fixed and I could go back to driving it.
Sounds like it was memorized for a specific person (who wasn't you). My Suburu's seat adjustment is a more basic model than that. It doesn't adjust per person, but it's electronic as opposed to a bar under my seat, which is nice since my husband is a good 4" taller than me. I like not having to bend in half and reach between my legs every time I drive the car after he does (and I'm sure he's more than happy not to have to squeeze his face against the steering wheel to reach those stupid adjustment bars).

I double checked my number lock feature again last night. Resetting it by pressing number lock and restarting my computer. It seems only to work for that one time. If I shut down my computer (as is recommended for the health of one's computer and one's electricity bill), my number lock preference is once again forgotten. Darn annoying, that.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 09/25/15 11:31 AM. Reason: Too many nices. ;)

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Annie B. #266292 09/25/15 12:33 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Actually, shutting down the computer for the computer's health is old advice and doesn't apply any more. And if you put your computer into "sleep" mode, you won't be using anywhere near as much power as you would if you kept it "on," but you can start up faster and your num lock preference would probably hold. I would still power off every now and then, since that will help free up memory that programs hadn't released properly, but you needn't do it every night.

Joy,
Lynn

Annie B. #266935 10/30/15 05:39 PM
Kerth
Kerth
Kay. So I just found this thread after closing the little popup box that's begging me to sign up for Windows 10... Could anybody tell me if it's worth it to download? I've heard they fixed a lot of the problems that were in the beta and that it's more like Win7 than Win8 (which is clap clap because Win8 sucked).

However. I haven't found anything about it that makes me want to change over my Windows 7 laptop. If I'm gonna switch over, it had better be worth it. Otherwise, I'll keep my current OS. grumble

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain
Annie B. #266937 10/30/15 05:56 PM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Chances are, most of Windows 10 is already downloaded onto your laptop. Microsoft has downloaded the Windows 10 files onto devices running earlier versions of Windows so that the installation process (should you choose to accept it) will be expedited. My advice? If you currently have Windows 8, by all means update to Windows 10 -- it is, indeed, much more like Windows 7 than Windows 8. If you have Windows 7, it's more of a toss-up.

I updated because I know my school will be moving to Windows 10 sooner or later, and I wanted to be comfortable with this version of the OS before I'm asked to teach about it. I also went against my usual policy and was one of the early adopters, since I knew that once the school year started, there would be no way I'd have times to deal with the headaches should the installation process not go smoothly. As it happened, there was only a very minor glitch -- minor enough that I don't even remember the details any more. I like Windows 10, but I must admit that IMHO there aren't really any must-have features.

If you do decide to upgrade, though, I would strongly encourage you to read the articles I linked to earlier in this thread. Windows 10 in its default settings really is a privacy nightmare and it also will consume your bandwidth to spread their updates to other people's computers. (No thank you, Microsoft -- I do not want to have my computer used as your file server!) The articles I linked to let you know ways to tame the Windows beast.

Joy,
Lynn

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Darth Michael 

Link Copied to Clipboard