ChrisM Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
C
Please leave comments here ...

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
No, no, no, Lavinia! Rule #1 for young maidens is that thou shall not visit a young man's rooms. Rule #2 is that he isn't to visit your's. Rule #3, thou shall NEVER break until after marriage (and maybe not even then) Rule #1 & #2! (Technically, back in the day, Lavinia wouldn't be allowed to visit Lucius's country house, even in the company of her father, without a suitable FEMALE chaperon or hostess! So, her reputation would probably already be in tatters.) Okay, I'll grant you that Cedric's office isn't his bedroom and on the cardinal sins not as high up there. I'm sure Cedric's uncle wouldn't force them to marry if he saw them alone in Cedric's office, especially since he wants Lavinia for himself, but still... I love that Lavinia would much rather spend time with Cedric than with Lucius! clap Wonderful progress and it can only be explained that Lucius failed her as a suitor. smile

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
C
ChrisM Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
C
No, no, no, Lavinia! Rule #1 for young maidens is that thou shall not visit a young man's rooms.
I know, I know! <bg>
So, I'm reminded of a scene from Frederica by Georgette Heyer. The two main characters are talking about propriety and when does a female get past a "marriageable age".
Frederica: "I daresay you never gave it a thought."
Alverstoke: "No, I didn't!"
Frederica (wistfully): "Why should you? Gentlemen aren't troubled with chaperones."
Alverstoke: "I assure you, I have frequently been troubled by them!"
LOL! Writers are frequently troubled by them, also!

Okay, so kidding aside, I was really hoping to not have to deal with a duenna character. Trying to keep my cast as small as possible, I was thinking that since 1. Lavinia and her father are emigres who have fled their home with little more than what they could carry, and 2. her father is with her (as is her maid), then I'd be able to get away with it. Perhaps if I had made it clear that Lavinia isn't an 18-year old ingenue, but a young woman of about 23-24? Yeah, I know. :-|
<sigh> I did have some ideas for the chaperone character, and ways to make her be a bit of comic relief but she was dragging the pace of the story so she got axed between drafts #1 & #2. However, your suggestion is well taken. I will give it more thought. Maybe, now that the rest of the story is at about draft #8, I'll be able to just fit her in here and there and not affect the overall pacing.
Thanks!
Wonderful progress and it can only be explained that Lucius failed her as a suitor.
Oh, yes. I definitely did not want to drag out the will she/won't she with Lucius! While Lavinia (and the readers) don't yet know the full extent of his wickedness, I wanted her to be smart enough to go with her instincts about him before she learns his full history.

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
It's great to see the chemistry so alive and well. They are adorable together!

As for any knowledge about a chaperone, I'm afraid I can't be of much help. I haven't really read or seen many stories from back in this time period. The only older (but still too recent) romantic plot I'm very familiar with is the 'Anne of Green Gables' stories--and that was due totally to the movies (though I do own all of the books grin). Those actors have some pretty amazing chemistry, also clap...

Excited for the next part!
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 11/04/15 04:49 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
C
ChrisM Offline OP
Hack from Nowheresville
OP Offline
Hack from Nowheresville
C
It's great to see the chemistry so alive and well. They are adorable together!
Thank you! And, as we know, that's a big part of what makes them so much fun to write about! :-)

--the chaperone thing--
Well, that's going to need some work. I'm already thinking about it.
But, I do appreciate you all being willing to give the story a read anyway. At least I'll get some feedback about the other bits and sections, to see if anything else also needs work.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard