Pulitzer
comments go here.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
This is so different from what I had beta'd! shock

Typical of Kansas at that time of the year, with the speed and unexpectedness of a tornado, clouds had rolled in and rain was threatening, so it appeared as though the decision to hold the ceremony in the barn had been warranted.

Rain on their Wedding day? whinging

There was no veil so Martha had created a crown of flowers picked fresh from her garden.

Nope, still cannot see Lois with a crown of flowers on her head.

Martha brushed it off by saying, "What is there to understand or to be sorry for? It's my pleasure to do these things for you. After all, you are marrying my son. You are going to be my daughter-in-law in just a short while." Suddenly, Martha was distracted, her smile faded as she concentrated on something. She muttered, "Something blue." Suddenly getting an idea, Martha rushed out of the room only to return a minute later. She handed Lois a small packet. As she did, she said, "I've had this for years. There was a time, early in our married life when we, Jonathan and I, play acted. This was … one of my … props."

This is classic Martha ... with a little spice! whistle

Once Jonathan had finished in the barn and turned the management of the preparations over to Maisie he had gone into the house to help Clark get ready and it was a good thing that he had. Clark was still weak from the exposure and his wound and getting dressed had pushed him near to exhaustion. With Jonathan's help he was able to finish dressing and sit down to rest until the preacher arrived while Jonathan kept a lookout for his arrival.

Again ... classic Jonathan. Where would Lois and Clark be without his parents providing them with unfailing support?

One individual she recognized was Mr. Ramsbottom. Seeing him only served to firm her resolve. After seeing Ramsbottom, Lois pasted a smile on her lips and looking straight ahead, her eyes locked on Clark. He was standing just off center. She actually found it hard to believe that he was smiling.

Ramsbottom may be a government official, but this wedding is taking place on private property. I cannot understand why Jonathan and Martha permitted him on their land. What lame excuse did either he or Lois give?

Finished with her statement, in the stunned silence that followed, she stepped away from Clark and started back down the aisle. As she passed Martha and Jonathan, with a very sad and forlorn tone, she said, "I'm sorry." And as she passed Mr. Ramsbottom she said, "Meet me at your car, you're giving me a ride to the airport."

Perfect. He might as well be useful.

As she hurried down the aisle, people came out of their shock and pandemonium broke out. Fortunately, the brief downpour had almost stopped so in the light drizzle that continued, Lois pulled up the hem of the gown, kicked off her pumps and picked them up then running barefoot and trying to avoid puddles as best she could, hurried back to the house. People mobbed Clark and his parents making it impossible for Clark to get away. Over the heads of the people around him he saw the smug look on the face of Mr. Ramsbottom as he stood, turned and followed Lois out of the barn.

Poor Lois! Running barefoot through the light drizzle and trying to avoid mud puddles is the perfectly dismal end to what should have been a very happy day.

Morgana

A writer's job is to think of new plots and create characters who stay with you long after the final page has been read. If that mission is accomplished than we have done what we set out to do, which is to entertain and hopefully educate.
KenJ Offline OP
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
Hi Morgana,

Thanks for the FDK!

Yeah, after the beta I added a significant amount of content.

I was going for a mood with the rain. Guess I succeeded.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard