Next Thread
Print Thread
#266674 10/20/15 05:08 PM
E
Blogger
OP Offline
Blogger
E
So I was on Amazon looking for gifts to order for a friend and after getting bored of staring at random items and stressing over whether or not to buy it, I started looking up things that I might want. So I searched "Lois & Clark the New Adventures of Superman" and while scrolling through the various available DVD's of each season and complete series bundles, I found a novel based on the tv show called "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman" by John Byrne and Roger Stern. And it was only after I read the description that I realized that it was in fact a novel and not a video. Then when I scrolled down a bit to the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" section, I saw that there were several more published novels based on the show. This was a huge surprise for me as I have been a big fan of the show for a while and have read nearly all the fanfiction available on this site; then to find out that there were a bunch of novels for sale that were all published years ago that I never knew about. So I was wondering if anyone else has ever read or bought them and if they're worth reading. I would also like to know if you guys know of any versions of the book online or if it's in the fanfiction archive. Thanks!

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Hello Eclectic, and welcome.

The Byrne and Stern book is actually not a novel and it is not (despite the title and cover image) based on the show. It is, rather, a collection of Superman comics written about the time the show was aired. The comics at that time featured a Clark/Superman very similar to the show's version; e.g., Clark was who he was and Superman was what he could do. If you like comics, it is a good collection, as I recall; one can't go wrong with Byrne's Superman.

I fear I would not recommend the actual L&C novels; the fanfic you can get from here and on the archive are, for the most part, far superior to the published novels.

Joy,
Lynn

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
I have a hardback copy of the novel with a picture of Dean and Teri on it (publicity photo from third season?) --the spine and back cover are black (can't think of the title). I've had it for probably 15 years. I still have not forced myself to finish it. I was not impressed....

I also have 3 paperbacks books--one is (I believe) purple, one blue, one teal? Don't remember the titles of these either. They also all have Dean and Teri on the cover (photo shoot pics). I've had these probably for 12 years. I've never read any of these books--but have enjoyed the multiple black and white pics on glossy paper in the center of each book (random publicity photo shoot pics from the show, etc). These always seemed like young adult fiction books.

Overall, from what I've heard, and from the small bit of reading I did in the first book when I got it, my opinion is that the Archive/here is by far the best collection of L&C fanfiction. The books are kinda a cool 'keepsake' from the show, but more just to have (and not read wink ). That's why I have them, anyway...

Laura

Last edited by LMA; 10/20/15 07:28 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Top Banana
Top Banana
I read the Lois and Clark novel by C.J. Cherryh. It was okay, but I'd been spoiled by reading so much good fanfic here. There are a few other tie-in novels, but I haven't read them. I don't want to spend money on them when they're not likely to be worth it. If they turn up at the public library I'll read them.

"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”

- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Like LMA, i cannot for the life of me recall the details of the three tie-in novels. They were a cute enough read but not worth buying in my opinion and certainly no match for most of the Archive's fan content. If you can find a free copy somewhere they'll probably be a fun couple of hours reading.

The Cherryh novel was appallingly bad. Partly because she seemed not to have watched the show before writing it. There were more than a few occasions where Clark and Lois seemed to be based on the comics characterisations instead.

I'd agree best to save your cash and enjoy fanfiction instead.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
S
Merriwether
Merriwether
S
I haven't read any of the Lois and Clark books but I've read authorized tie-in novels for other series such as Star Trek, Earth 2, and Babylon 5. For the most part, I agree with LabRat. Most fanfiction is better. Many of the writers don't know the show as well as the fans. And then they're limited to what they can do. They can't make huge changes.

The exception to this for me was the Babylon 5 books which were wonderful. They were set in the future of the Babylon 5 universe but had all the details right. JMS must've had a hand in them.

Joan

Last edited by scifiJoan; 10/22/15 08:07 AM.
Kerth
Kerth
The Cherryh novel was appallingly bad. Partly because she seemed not to have watched the show before writing it. There were more than a few occasions where Clark and Lois seemed to be based on the comics characterisations instead.

I have to agree - it's a real shame because Cherryh is actually a pretty good author when she gets her act together, I'm guessing she needed the money in a hurry.

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Absolutely, Marcus. Part of the reason I was so disappointed was because her Chronicles of Morgaine was a personal favourite.

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
I remember a rant by a writer doing a Spiderman tie-in. If they would take 30 days to approve your plot and give you 6 months to write it instead of vice versa the books would be better. He said the secret is caffeine, enough that you just hold your hands on the keyboard and the fingers twitch.

Tie-ins don't pay royalties but they pay the writing fee promptly and often have short deadlines so you get paid soon. This often matters to people that make a living writing.

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
I have both the Tie-in novels and the one by Cherryh. I can't read the Cherryh novel as a Lois and Clark novel, but it doesn't bother me if I read it as a comic book tie-in. The use of Dr. Hamilton as the primary scientist (when in the series he was a one-ep eccentric) and Elroy (Lois's cat in the Comics, while she can barely keep fish in the series) made it obvious that it belonged in the comic realm. I consider it not too bad when read in that context and not the series.

The tie-in novels were written for teens and up until recently there hadn't been a lot of popularity to teen novels and the writing tended to reflect that. In this case, Lois often came across (in her internal dialogue) as a bit jealous sometimes and Clark kept Lois (his fiancée in the particular story, some of them have her as girlfriend rather than fiancée). It's also my understanding they were written for the British market, since they are listed as being based on a series shown on BBC.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
Freelance Reporter
Freelance Reporter
It's too bad these novels apparently aren't very good, I was actually thinking of reading them and I almost never read novels. I still might check them out sometime, since I like obscure Superman stuff...I've read several Superman children's books xD

Sorry for replying to such an old thread, if that's a problem please let me know x)

C
Top Banana
Top Banana
C
No Problem whatsoever! It's neat to re-read old things and sometimes we can have a different context.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
C
Kerth
Kerth
C
I barely made it through the Cherryh novel it's just horrible. The three by Friedman are not that bad, but if you were looking for hints of their romance other than stating they are engaged they don't really interact a whole lot. If you find the novels published for British market they have the cast photos in full gloss colour also it's worth it for those alone

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Columnist
Columnist
I had all of them and I read all of them. I was young when I got them (I was a teenager when the show was on), so when the books came out I got them as soon as I could. Yes, they were not very good, the writers did not know the history or do their homework. But heck I was young and obsessed and now I'm just obsessed!

Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I just pulled down the Cherryh novel off my bookshelf. It was published in 1996 and the series started in 1993. I didn't find it very good either and I enjoy her science fiction. I guess at the
time it was the only other LnC stuff out there. The TV show was definitely the better.
Ah, nostalgia. Remember the trips to Warner Bros. Studios to see the sets!!!
r/
Artemis

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Has anyone read Lois Lane: Fallout? It's a YA set in high school and she has a online friendship with someone with the screen name SmallvilleGuy. Bought it at the local SF convention but haven't read it yet, really need to get my to read pile under 300 books.

L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Has anyone read Lois Lane: Fallout?
I have, as well as its first sequel (Lois Lane: Double Down). I've purchased but have not yet read the second sequel (Lois Lane: Triple Threat). The books are fun, light reads, and *much* better written than the official L&C novels.

Joy,
Lynn

C
Kerth
Kerth
C
Originally Posted by dcarson
Has anyone read Lois Lane: Fallout? It's a YA set in high school and she has a online friendship with someone with the screen name SmallvilleGuy. Bought it at the local SF convention but haven't read it yet, really need to get my to read pile under 300 books.

I've read the trilogy I actually quite enjoyed them and I know the feeling of trying to get my read pile to a manageable level. I gave up years ago because I continue to buy.

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched they must be felt with the heart

Helen Keller
Columnist
Columnist
My 11 year old daughter and I are beginning to read the YA trilogy. I started Lois Lane: Fallout, but got a bit sidetracked with the other two books I was reading at the same time and the other four projects I was working on. I enjoyed what I was reading though.

I might have to get my daughter to keep reading it and her tell me how it was. She loves her DC Super Hero Girls and reads the DC Comics: Secret Hero Society books also.

Moderated by  bakasi, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard