The Matchmaker Files - An Unusual Proposal

Rated PG-13

G - Story - TOC

* emphasis*
<thoughts>

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * time passed – scene change

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ * scene change – universe change

Previously

As soon as Clark's back was turned and he was walking toward the shed, Trask rapidly came to his feet showing that his apparent defeated state was a ploy and a chrome plated double-barreled derringer materialized in Trask's hand. He was leveling it at Clark's back when Lois shouted, "Clark! Look out!"

The sirens in the distance were the deputies approaching. While the fight had progressed, unnoticed by the two combatants, Rachel Harris, with Jimmy Olsen had pulled into the yard. Rachel had just stepped out of her car and when she heard Lois shout, she saw the danger and pulling her sidearm sighted and fired without thinking.

In response to Lois' warning, Clark started to duck. Lois's scream distracted Trask causing him to jerk slightly just as he pulled the trigger firing both barrels. As Clark was ducking, Trask took the bullet from Rachel's gun, center of mass, very near the heart. It was a fatal wound. The impact of the slug drove him backward and his lifeless body fell back into the pond, the Derringer falling from his limp fingers.

Lois broke from her cover at the side of the shed and ran to Clark. Kneeling at his side, Lois pulled his body onto her lap and cradled it against hers. She gasped, and started crying and calling his name as if it was a mantra. He was limp and his left side was covered with blood. She cradled his body weeping despondently.

Suddenly, having finally finished freeing themselves from the ropes, Jonathan, Martha were beside her. She bawled, "Oh, Martha, he's been shot. We need to do something!"

Inordinately calm in the face of the emergency, Martha knelt next to Lois and felt for a pulse at Clark's neck. She nodded and placed a hand on Lois' arm. She said, "He's alive."

Lois blurted out, "But he's been shot! He's bleeding!"

Looking at Jonathan, Martha said, "First aid kit."

Jonathan nodded and headed for the house.

Relief flooded over her when she realized that Clark was alive and looking around she spotted Rachael Harris. She said, "Thank you."

As Lois watched, Rachel holstered her gun and she noticed that Rachel looked somewhat dazed.

The shock of what she had done, she had just shot and killed someone for the first time and she knew that the memory of that moment would haunt her for the rest of her life. Even though her father had been elected sheriff, she had been a farm girl. Everyone in the county had that as their roots. She had seen animals slaughtered, that was run of the mill, but a person, that was a different story. She knew that she still had a job to do and that she needed to pull herself together so once her weapon was holstered, she shook her head to clear it and concentrated on what she had to do. She could remember what she had done and think about it … later.

A few seconds later, just as Jonathan was returning with the first aid kit, a couple more police cars pulled up near them. In the back were the two agents that Trask had sent to patrol the perimeter. Patrolman Cooper stepped out of one of the cars and took in the scene. The patrol cars looked like they had been through a war. There were Bullet holes in the wind screen and doors. He said, "Sheriff, what do you want us to do with these guys. They put up a fight, but we had more ammo so they finally gave up."

Having gotten herself back in control, Rachel said, "Let's see what we have and then we'll decide."

Lois was still kneeling on the ground cradling the injured Clark in her lap, crying inconsolably and mumbling Clark's name over and over and rocking back and forth while Martha applied first aid.

Rachael said, "Coop, stand by until we have the details." Then she turned and addressing no one in particular, asked, "Okay, what do we have here?"

Jonathan replied, "Well Sheriff, if you look in the shed you'll find Wayne Irig still tied up. We were in there with him until a minute ago. He's still unconscious. I wouldn't strike any matches around here for a while. Trask tried to murder us by setting the shed on fire, I guess you can smell the gas. He was about to murder Clark and would also have murdered Lois if he hadn't been stopped. That fella, Trask, was obsessed to the point of insanity with the destruction of Superman. He was beating on Clark because he thought that would draw Superman to his rescue."

Sheriff Harris turned to the deputy asked, "Coop, could you have one of the men retrieve the body? It's in the pond."

Coop pointed to Trask's body. And said, "Hank, could you pull him out?"

After a few seconds, Lois was able to speak again and she was nearly frantic as she said, "Sheriff, over at the Irig farm, they are packing up to move. You need to get over there and stop them. Don't let them get away!"

In almost a state of shock at this revelation, Rachel replied, "I have other cars responding to Wayne's farm."

Lois spoke up, "Sheriff, Carol Sherman, the woman over on the Irig farm, was duped into participating in this. Once she found out the truth, she only participated under the threat of death. She was worried about her little girl. She helped me escape. I'm sure she'll testify about what she saw. Maybe she could be classed as a material witness. Go easy on her, okay?"

Rachel said, "I'll do what I can. You may need to testify on her behalf."

Before moving Trask, the medical examiner would have to be called, so the Sheriff went into the shed to check on Wayne Irig. The Sheriff needed to see what was there so that she could give eye witness testimony. She called Jimmy over, "Mr. Olsen, do you have your camera handy?"

Jimmy replied, "Yes I do, Sheriff. What do you need?"

"Could you take some crime scene pictures for me?"

"Sure thing Sheriff, just tell me what you want."

Rachel had Jimmy take pictures of Wayne before she untied him and the gasoline trail as well as Clark in his wounded, depleted condition.

When Wayne came around he said, "That fella Trask, he wasn't EPA! He was with something he called Bureau 39, I overheard them talking. He injected me with some kind of babble juice and when that didn't work he started busting my fingers."

Rachel said, "Wayne, now, I want you to get yourself into the hospital and get those fingers taken care of and tell them that I need a copy of the report, you hear me?"

Wayne replied, "Right Sheriff."

Rachel turned to one of her deputies and said, "Hank, take those prisoners in and lock them up. Coop, you stay here with me. I'll need to go over to the Irig place and you'll be in charge here. Later, I'll give Mr. Olsen here a ride back to town. He left his car there."

Seeing that Clark had recovered consciousness, she moved over next to him and kneeling next to him asked, "How are you Clark? You don't look the best. It looks like you need to go to the hospital too."

Weakly, Clark replied, "No, I don't think so, Rachel."

Martha spoke up, "I think one bullet just creased his arm, the other passed clear through his shoulder. It was bleeding a lot, but it has slowed down, thanks to some first aid. It was the pain that knocked him out. It was a near thing, but I think he'll be okay. I don't think there's anything they can do in the hospital that a little TLC can't do." Martha looked significantly at Lois as she finished.

Rachel moved over and stood above Trask. She said, "Don't touch anything." She raised her voice slightly as she said, "Mr. Olsen, before you go, I have one more job for you." Then she addressed her deputy, "Coop, call for an ambulance, please."

Jonathan spoke up, "When I went into the house for the first aid kit, I tried the phone. The line's dead."

Nodding, Deputy Cooper moved over to his car and got on the radio. When he finished he reported, "An ambulance is on the way Sheriff. I put in a call to the phone company too. They're sending out a line truck."

"Thanks, Coop. Stand by till they clean up."

"Will do, Sheriff."

Even though he was awake, Lois continued to hold Clark, cradling his upper body in her arms and rocking back and forth. Unashamedly, Lois showered him with kisses, tears of joy and relief that he would recover streaming down her cheeks while everyone else looked on.

Jimmy moved over and started taking more pictures. He made sure to catch pictures of the derringer as well as Trask. Jimmy was really earning his crime photographer stripes on this trip.

As soon as Jimmy finished up, Cooper went into his trunk and brought out an evidence kit. He donned a pair of rubber gloves and pulled out a plastic bag. He picked up the derringer and placed it in the bag, sealed it and wrote the details on the outside. He did the same with the gun that Trask had dropped and the ammunition. The bags all went into the kit and back into the trunk.

Rachel turned to Lois and said, "Lois, it sure looks like you have more influence over Clark than I ever did. You take care of him now, ya' hear?"

Lois looked at Clark, smiled at Rachel and said, "I'll take care of him Sheriff."

Coming out of her morbid mood somewhat, Rachel chuckled and said, "Lois, why don't you just call me Rachel. After all," Rachel nodded in Clark's direction as she continued. "We have something in common."

Lois looked again at Clark and pulled him to herself as she said, "Yeah, Rachel, I guess we do."

Rachel said, "I guess I'll see y'all later. I need to go check on the rest of my deputies and make sure we got the entire bunch," as she turned and headed for her car she said, "Mr. Olsen, could I trouble you for another task? I might need more pictures."

Jimmy smiled and said, "I'm all yours, Sheriff."

Rachel said, "Hop in and we'll go. When we're done, I'll take you to your car so that you can get to wherever it is you need to go."

"Thanks, Sheriff." Jimmy could see promotion to staff photographer in his near future. "I'll be coming back here, at least briefly, before I drive to Wichita for my flight."

After a while the ambulance arrived. The EMTs looked at Clark's wounds. Seeing that the bleeding had stopped they applied some antibiotic ointment and redressed the wounds and put his left arm in a sling.

Using a body bag, they hauled away Trask's body by placing it on a long board and transferring it to a stretcher in the back. Wayne rode with the EMT in the back as they transported him to the ER to take care of his hand.

Deputy Cooper followed the ambulance when it left.

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ *

Lois let out the breath she had been holding in a loud whoosh. "Wow, that was a close one! He almost killed Clark. I guess that Rachel was a few seconds later than our Rachel. But now Lois knows The Secret."

"I see what you meant, he didn't exactly tell her, she just found out. I guess the way it worked out, there was no way for it to be avoided."

Lois added, "Yeah, what is she going to do with that knowledge now? Use it as additional leverage to force him to go through with the wedding?"

Herb looked at Lois and asked, "What would you have done?"

"I honestly don't know. The way it happened, I don't think I would have been mad. I think I would have understood."

Herb's response was an enigmatic, "We shall see."

And now

Chapter 17

Once the telephone company line truck and Deputy Cooper, in the last vehicle, had left, Jonathan pulled some furniture off the porch and into the sunshine. Lois and Martha helped Clark over to a lounge chair and got him settled as they all sat down to talk.

Martha, unsure of how this was going to go and more than a little nervous, tried to break the ice, "Who would like some iced tea?"

Jonathan was the only one who would have expressed an interest, but seeing that no one else was interested decided to wait.

Since that conversational gambit had failed, there was an uncomfortable silence until finally; Martha said to Lois, "You must have a lot of questions."

Now that all of the excitement was past, things were different. There had been a not too subtle shift and Lois was very subdued. Gone was the self-assured, take charge Mad Dog Lane. Now, she was behaving like a puppy unsure of how her master would react to her misbehavior. Lois looked at Clark and in a subdued tone replied as she looked directly at Clark, "A couple. Who are you? Are you Superman or Clark Kent?"

"Lois, I am … I have always been … Clark Kent. I grew up, right here on this farm as Clark Kent, son of Jonathan and Martha," as he said this he used his uninjured arm to point to his parents. As he did, they in turn smiled at him. "I went to Smallville High. I was the Crow's star quarterback. I made friends, like Pete and Billy, I dated, you've met Lana and Rachel, I did all of the normal things that a child growing up does. Nothing different, at least until my powers started to manifest, then things changed. Certain things changed, relationships changed. Remember when you met Lana? That thing that Lana mentioned … I had decided that I needed to tell the woman that I was considering marrying about what I could do. She was the first person I told about myself.”

Lois nodded and said, “That’s why she said that.”

“Yeah, and she knew what I had decided. It never got to that point with Rachel, she doesn't know about me. Superman, well, Superman is a disguise. Actually, you gave me the idea. Remember the underground gas line explosion … the worker that was trapped down there?" When she nodded indicating that she remembered the incident, he continued, "I went down another manhole and saved him, but it wasn't as dark as I thought it would be and he recognized me. I had to call his identification into question saying that he had been shaken up by the explosion. That was why, some months ago, I created Superman … so that I could help people. Yeah, in the past, I had been helping, but it had always been from the shadows. I needed a way to help … out in the open, but I also wanted to have a life, my life … as Clark Kent. You gave me the idea after that incident. You suggested that I keep a change of clothes at the Planet."

Things were not adding up for Lois. Some recent incidents needed clarification. "But you got a paper cut the other day. You were sick. Your allergies were kicking up."

"Oh, right, the paper cut. I had forgotten all about that. Yes, that happened. I wasn't faking it. I didn't have my powers then, like now."

"But, why?"

"That rock, it took away my powers. It's what made me sick. When we arrived the other day Dad wanted to show me something and took me out while you were upstairs with Mom. I had never seen it before and when Dad took me out to show me what they were after over on Wayne's farm, I was accidentally exposed. It was a complete surprise. Suddenly I was feeling pain … unbearable pain. I've never felt pain like that in my life. I passed out. Dad didn't know what was happening and when he saw me in distress he just tried to help me. He didn't think about the rock and left the tool box open which just served to extend my exposure. From that minute until we were in the back of that van, I was as powerless as any normal man. In fact, there for a while, I was weaker than a normal man as evidenced by my failure on the test of strength. If Trask had shot me, I'd have died just like any normal man."

"The allergies?"

"I guess you could call it an allergy. I'm allergic to that rock. According to Trask it is a fragment of my home world."

"So, you don’t have your powers now?"

"No. Once again, I'm just like any normal man."

"How long will that last?"

"After that first time it was days. This was a shorter exposure, but coming right on the heels of the other one … it's anybody's guess. You got it away from me so my exposure was shorter this time, but there is no way to know how long the effects will last." He thought for a few seconds and then asked, "What did you do with it, by the way?"

Lois smiled and replied, "I didn’t know what else to do with it, so I buried it. I didn’t want Trask to find it and get it near you again."

"You'll have to show Dad where it is so that he can dispose of it."

"Sure, no problem, but how will he dispose of it?" She looked over at Jonathan for the answer.

Jonathan replied, "When Wayne gave it to me it was in an old lead toolbox. I think they use lead shielding in nuclear reactors so it must be radioactive and lead must contain the radiation that harms Clark. I think they left that old toolbox of Wayne's behind. I'll put it back in that and seal it up, tight. Then, once Clark has his powers back, he can deal with it."

Lois transferred her attention back to Clark as she asked what to her was the most important question, "Okay, now … why?"

Clark looked pained as he asked, "Why what?"

"Why did you agree to marry me? It really is illegal and it goes against everything that Superman stands for."

"It’s only illegal if was truly a fake, fraudulent marriage and as far as I'm concerned, it won't be, so it is at most only half fake."

"But I've been so mean to you. I took over the editor's office and made you into my lackey. I walked all over you. How could you want to marry me?"

"You acted that way because you were unsure of yourself."

Lois thought for a few seconds, before asking the next question. "Why didn't you tell Rachel or me your secret? When we were reporting partners, we were close, closer than I have ever been with anyone else. I was starting to think of you as my best friend."

“I thought so too. But just when we were getting the closest, you backed away, then we were promoted to editors and things started to fall apart.”

“Yeah, I started to get scared.”

“Scared of what?”

“Of getting too close. You get too close and you are in a relationship. If you are in a relationship then it can lead to marriage and then divorce and I don’t want to be in a failed marriage like my parent’s.”

“Not all marriages end in divorce.”

“I know, but I’m afraid that mine will. I don’t know if being told your secret would have made a difference or not. Why didn’t you tell me?””

"I needed to be sure. It is a dangerous secret and not one to be bestowed lightly."

"How were you going to keep it a secret if we were married?"

He smiled and with a rueful chuckle said, "It would have been hard."

"You would have kept making up excuses and walking out on me. How long would you have kept the secret?"

"As long as I needed to, but I hope it wouldn't have been too long. I don't think it would have, I actually think I know you pretty well. That chunk of rock, it was part of a meteor from my home world. You saw what it was doing to me and you risked your life to remove it. If Trask had spotted you he would have shot you. You saved my life by doing that. You risked your life to save mine. I can never forget that. Only someone who truly cared would have done that."

"What did it do to you, aside from making you vulnerable, I mean? Are your injuries … permanent?"

"It was painful and it robbed me of my powers. Yes, it made me vulnerable," he pointed to his shoulder as evidence of his vulnerability, "but last time, it was temporary. I can only surmise that this time it will be too."

Lois gasped out, "Then you were telling the truth when you said that he really could have killed Superman. You were taking a big chance."

"I had noticed that my strength was returning, so I figured that the rest of my powers would return as well. I didn't know he had the rock."

"But at that time you were vulnerable and didn't know when or if your powers would return. That was a major risk."

"I needed to do something. He had my parents. You were right there in the van with me and could have been discovered at any time. I had to keep his attention centered upon me to protect you."

They were interrupted by the arrival of Jimmy Olsen.

Jonathan was the first to see the car when it turned off the road and entered the drive. He cautioned everyone to silence. Martha stood and said, "I'll go get some tea for everyone."

Lois stood and volunteered, "I'll help you."

The two women went inside.

Jimmy was all smiles as he approached the two men, he asked, "How are you doing, CK? Your wound really looked serious."

Clark indicated the sling and said, "I'll just have to wear this thing for a while, until the wound knits, then I should be as good as new."

Looking around to assure himself that Lois was not within earshot, Jimmy said, "I'm glad to hear that." And then in a conspiratorial tone, he asked, "What's happening between you and Lois? Is the rumor true? Are you getting married?"

Clark smiled and replied, "Yes, the rumor is true. We are getting married. In fact, the ceremony is scheduled for tomorrow. You want to come?"

Disappointment in his tone, Jimmy replied, "I wish I could, I'd love to be your photographer, but Perry has me on a very short leash. I'm the only photographer available and he wants me back tonight."

Martha and Lois came out of the house just then with a tray of glasses and a pitcher of iced tea. Martha said, "I don't think we've been formally introduced, I'm Martha Kent, Clark's mother."

"Oh, yeah, hi. I'm Jimmy Olsen, hopefully, soon to be, staff photographer with the Daily Planet. I work with Lois and Clark."

Jonathan spoke up, "And I'm Jonathan, Clark's father."

Shaking hands with Jonathan, Jimmy said, "I'm pleased to meet you."

Lois asked, “What about the gang over on the Irig farm?”

“When the sheriff and I got there her deputies were trying to round them all up. They were putting up a fight. Talk about the gang that couldn’t shoot straight, that was them. Anyhow, the fight continued until the sheriff got on her loud hailer and told them that their boss was dead then they all threw down their weapons and surrendered.”

“What about Ms. Sherman?”

“The sheriff gave her a ride along with me into town. Before I left she had already called her little girl. I don’t think she is under arrest, more like a material witness.”

Lois released a relieved sigh and said, “That’s good. She helped me. She doesn’t deserve to go to jail.”

As Lois finished speaking, another car pulled up to the house and parked. When the driver exited, Clark saw that it was Mr. Ramsbottom and he became apprehensive. Mr. Ramsbottom saw them all sitting in the yard and approached.

He stopped near Clark and noting the blood and the sling, with a curious tone, asked, "What happened to you?"

In an irritated tone, Lois answered for Clark, "We were doing an investigation."

Surprised, he asked, "Are all of your investigations this dangerous?"

In a desultory tone Clark replied, "No, not all of them." His tone changed to challenging, "You didn't come all this way to see how we conduct an investigation. What brings you all the way to Kansas? Is it something that couldn't wait until Monday?"

"I told you I'd be checking up on you. I've been checking your phone records and you haven't been calling each other, especially in the last two months."

Mr. Ramsbottom was interrupted by Martha asking, “Would you like a glass of tea?”

“Yes, thank you.”

Martha poured a glass and handed it to him.

As Mr. Ramsbottom took a sip of tea, Clark said, "Mr. Ramsbottom, that really doesn't mean anything. We work in the same office. My desk is right across from Lois's. We don't need to call. We don't even have to raise our voices to make ourselves heard."

After taking a drink, Mr. Ramsbottom sat his glass down and said, "I see, but I'm still convinced that this is all a sham. Now, I'm going to make you an offer and it's only going to last for twenty seconds, so listen closely," He pulled out a tape recorder before he continued, "you, Clark Kent, will make a statement admitting that this marriage is a sham or you're going to go to prison. You tell the truth, you're off the hook and she is going to go back to Canada, indefinitely. Are you going to take the deal?"

Clark looked at him with incredulity and said, in a tone of finality, "I don't think so." Clark's tone bordered on anger as he continued, "You want a statement? Here's your statement, Lois Lane and I have been working together ever since I started at the Daily Planet. In the course of that time we have spent most of our waking hours together. We have spent the nights at each other's apartments on occasion. I have been in love with her all of that time. I'll see you at the wedding."

Mr. Ramsbottom stared at him in disbelief. "You've scheduled the wedding?"

"As a matter of fact, yes. It is tomorrow, right there."

Indicating his bloody shirt and the sling, Clark added, "Now, if you don't mind, I've just been shot by a maniac. My parents and Lois were almost killed. We'd like to be left alone for a while."

Properly chastened, Mr. Ramsbottom said, "All right. I'll be seeing you later. You said, tomorrow?" Clark nodded and Mr. Ramsbottom turned on his heel and climbing back into his car headed out.

Having had a ring side seat for this confrontation and not understanding all of the nuances, Jimmy asked, "Who was that guy?"

In a wry tone, Clark answered, "He works for the Immigration and Naturalization Service."

"Why is he hassling you?"

"He doesn't believe that Lois and I are getting married because we love one another. He’s convinced that it is simply to keep her from being deported."

"Where'd he get that idea?"

Lois replied, succinctly, "Claude."

Jimmy was shocked and said, "I didn't think he'd go that far."

Clark snickered and said, "Apparently he did."

Nodding in the direction that Ramsbottom had gone, Jonathan commented, "I don't know where he plans to stay, but it won't be anywhere in this county."

Jimmy said, "Speaking of that, if I don't want to get stuck in Wichita I need to get to the airport for my flight, but before I go, the Sheriff made arrangements with a local studio for me to use their darkroom. I have to develop and print the pictures I took for her before I can leave. I guess I'll see you guys when you get back."

"So long, Jimmy. We'll be back in a couple of days. We will be calling Perry, but if you see him before we call, tell him what happened and that we are taking some sick-time."

As he stood to leave, Jimmy said, "I'll be sure to tell him." Nodding in the direction of the recently departed Ramsbottom, Jimmy said, "I hope that guy has to drive all the way to Wichita to find a room. It would serve him right."

As Jimmy walked to his car, Lois and Clark both laughed at his comment although; Clark winced in pain and put his hand on his shoulder. He called to Jimmy as he was getting into his car, "Now I know what they mean when they say, ‘It only hurts when I laugh.'"

Jimmy waved and drove off.

Martha said, "Lois, the best thing for Clark right now is rest and sunlight. Come with me. We have some work to do. We need to get you ready for tomorrow."

After Martha and Lois disappeared inside, Jonathan said, "You rest easy, Son. I'm going to go clean up. That hay will have to be thrown away. I sure can't sell it as cattle feed now. I also need to sluice out the shed to get rid of the gas."

After Jonathan left, Clark rested and thought about all that had been happening to them over the last few days.

Clark dozed in the sun, waking periodically and looking around. After cleaning up the shed, Clark saw Jonathan hauling corn stalks and Christmas lights into the barn. He was curious as to just what that was all about, but had other things to occupy his mind.

As the sun was going down they all gathered for dinner. Lois helped the wounded Clark to eat.

Martha pointed out that because of his wound, Clark should probably sleep on the couch instead of in the bed with Lois. "If you or he gets restless in the night, it could aggravate his injury. He'd probably be better off on the couch."

Lois nodded her understanding and as they were going to bed, Clark looked at Lois and asked, "See you in the morning?"

Shyly, Lois nodded her head in response before going upstairs to the bedroom.

There were a couple of reasons that Clark slept on the couch that night. First, he needed to be off the floor so he opted for the comfort of the couch as Martha pointed out, and second, it was bad luck to see the bride before the wedding.

Martha had changed his dressing a couple of times. The blood had stopped flowing and the wound had shown signs of accelerated healing. The hope was that some more exposure to the sun would help complete his healing.

Clark spent a long time in thought. He was worried about the outcome the next day. Would Ramsbottom have people there to put him in cuffs and take him to prison? He immediately discounted that, there had to be due process. There would need to be a trial if nothing else and he could appeal any decision that was made.

Mostly, he didn't want to have to say goodbye to Lois. He wanted her in his life.

Lois spent an almost sleepless night. Now that she knew Clark's secret she was elated to think that she would be marrying Superman, but was it right? She had, after all, blackmailed him into it. He claimed to love her, but she didn't know exactly how she felt about him. The old fear of a failed marriage still haunted her. There were so many women that threw themselves at Superman, how could she compete? Would he cheat on her? How could she stand it if he did? She was forcing him to perform an illegal act which went against everything that he stood for as Superman, admittedly, he was doing it as Clark Kent, but that just begged the question since she now knew that Superman and Clark Kent were one and the same, how could she make Clark commit an illegal act forcing his dual identity to do the same thing?

Because of the argument she was having with herself and her conscience, when she finally drifted off to sleep it was in the wee hours of the morning and she still hadn't come to a conclusion.

She finally awoke to the light that was streaming in the window. The same window that she and Clark had looked out from at all of his friends as they performed the Charivari. His friends … he had such very nice friends, and his family. She was growing to love Martha, her gentle manner and her wisdom. Her acceptance. To be the mother of Superman she had to be super herself. And Jonathan, his quiet, gentle ways, so unlike her father and again, so accepting of her. She felt almost, no, not almost, she felt ashamed having put them in this position.

Finally, she knew what she had to do and steeled her resolve to do it. In order to save Clark, it would have to be done publically.

Typical of Kansas at that time of the year, with the speed and unexpectedness of a tornado, clouds had rolled in and rain was threatening, so it appeared as though the decision to hold the ceremony in the barn had been warranted.

In the morning, while Martha helped Lois, Jonathan was busy in the barn. In a short while Lois heard a noise and looked from the window and as she watched, a couple of pickup trucks pulled up and Pete Ross and Billy Eck started unloading folding chairs and tables and carrying them into the barn.

While Pete and Billy worked, Jonathan came into the house to help Clark get dressed. The white sling stood out in sharp contrast against the dark material of his suit, but that couldn't be helped.

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ *

Lois interrupted Herb, "Wow, they are in a real pickle. It looks like as soon as they say their ‘I Do's' Mr. Ramsbottom will have Clark arrested and Lois deported. What was this decision that she made? Is she going to go through with the wedding?"

Clark added, "What about Clark? That was an open threat that Ramsbottom made. He was still convinced that it was a fake marriage just to keep her from being deported. He told them in so many words that if they married he was going to have Clark arrested. It would be awfully suspicious if Superman disappeared for five years while Clark was in jail. There are a lot of people that would put two and two together.

Herb chuckled, "We are dealing with the female mind, don't forget, but more importantly this is Lois Lane. Lois, what would you do in this situation?"

"Really, Herb, I don't know. I might have left in the middle of the night and driven to Canada. Is that what she did?"

"I guess I'll have to tell you some more of the story."

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 10/20/15 11:58 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj