The Matchmaker Files - An Unusual Proposal

Rated PG-13

G - Story - TOC

* emphasis*
<thoughts>

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * time passed – scene change

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ * scene change – universe change

Previously

In the back of the van, Clark struggled against his bonds, to no avail. Lois had not found anything with which to pick the locks and his powers had not returned and he had no idea as to just when or if that would happen. At the end of his strength and almost at the end of his rope, he slumped in despair, exhausted from his struggles. Lois tried to comfort him by carrying on a whispered conversation. Clark filled her in on what he had surmised from what Trask had told him. He told her about the Rock and how he planned to use it against Superman.

Almost despairing of getting out of this situation, Lois finally admitted to herself that Clark really mattered to her. She finally put her arms around his neck and hugged him. She said, "Clark, I'm sorry."

"Sorry? Sorry for what?"

Her eyes bright with unshed tears, she pulled back and said, "Sorry for putting you in this position."

"Lois, Trask is the one that put me in this position, not you."

As she laid her cheek on his chest, she said, "No, I mean, making you marry me."

"Don't be sorry. I'm not," he replied in the breath of a whisper.

She put her arms back around his neck and started to quietly sob. As she did, she whispered, "I think ..." "I think ..." "I think ..." Each time she would start her sentence, a wracking sob would interrupt it.

Lois had fallen silent, simply hanging onto him and sobbing when after a short time Clark suddenly heard an ear-splitting beeping noise. His head snapped up, remembering that sound from the other day at the Planet and he knew two things, first and most importantly, his powers were back and two, Jimmy Olsen was nearby. Smiling he thought, <I'm back!> Clark grasped the chain linking the manacles and pulled. The links broke! He smiled at this success and brought his now free hands down and placing a palm on each side of Lois's face pulled her into a tender kiss.

Lois eagerly participated in the kiss and it took a few seconds for what was happening to register and when it did she looked at him in shock and asked, "How'd you do that?"

Without saying anything he reached down and with his fingers, he broke the shackles off of his wrists and then broke them off of his ankles while Lois looked on aghast.

Suddenly Clark heard the rasp of a match being struck. He knew that there could be only one reason for that sound. He had never seen Trask smoke so it had to have something to do with his parents. In Superman's voice he said, "Stay here."

As she watched in awe, he quickly moved to the back of the van where he placed his hands on the doors and shoved. The doors almost exploded outward, completely leaving their hinges and falling to the ground.

Just as Trask was dropping the match on the gasoline trail the doors of the van burst out and he looked up in surprise.

When Trask dropped the match on the trail of gasoline, it ignited and formed a trail of flames which raced toward the shed. That was when the doors flew off of the van and Clark jumped out. Instantly taking stock of the situation he super-sped over and using his super lungs inhaled, sucking the air and the flames from the gasoline, snuffing the fire. Then, looking up, he exhaled, blowing the superheated air up and away from the gasoline.

Trask was staring at him in amazement, stunned at seeing this. It suddenly dawned on him that if he had actually shot Clark, unless he had been ‘playing ‘possum', he could have done away with this menace to society. As he watched, Clark disappeared into the shed and remained there. Trask had only one thought now, the rock. He needed to get it and see just how it affected him. He hastened to where he had placed it and opening the lid, lifted the rock out of the container.

Lois was watching everything from her hiding place in the back of the van. It amazed her to see Clark perform feats that she had believed only Superman could perform. Thoughts were swirling around in her head as she watched. Lois also saw Clark disappear into the shed. She saw Trask as he approached the shed and then heard Martha's voice as she shouted, "Clark, behind you!"

At her shout, Clark stood and spun around. When he did, he saw Trask approaching, but still at a distance. He hadn't finished releasing them from the ropes which bound them, but he stopped and turning back to his parents he said, "Just a minute." He moved to the doorway, exited the shed and moved to confront Trask.

He watched Trask. Trask was twenty-five feet away, simply standing there with his hands behind his back, looking like a soldier in the parade rest posture.

In a threatening tone, Clark said, "Don't take another step, Trask."

With a smirk, Trask said, "Fighting words, Mister Kent. Or should I call you, 'Superman'?" He considered the implications for a second before continuing, "A secret identity. Very clever."

Slowly, a step at a time, Clark started moving toward Trask. As he closed the distance he was speaking, "You're going to prison, Trask. For attempted murder, for kidnapping, Arson, for Official Misconduct."

Confidently, Trask tried one final threat, "Oh, but I'll tell everyone your secret."

Clark was fed up with Trask. In a determined tone he said, "I … don't … care. This ends … now, Trask!"

Trask smirked and said, "I agree, but the question is … for whom?"

At super-speed Clark closed the distance intent upon securing Trask for the police. When he was within ten feet of Trask he started to feel the same pain he had experienced the other night when his father had accidentally exposed him to the rock. The closer he got the more intense the pain was. His speed faltered and when he was almost within arm's length the pain was contorting his features. He tried to back pedal, to get more distance, but his strength and speed failed him. Trask followed Clark as he backed away, maintaining the distance. Suddenly, Clark's knees went weak and he collapsed to the dirt.

Watching this, Lois gasped in dismay. Because of her position, in the van, she was behind Trask and had seen the glowing green rock that he held behind his back. She knew that this had to be the rock that Clark had told her about, the rock that could kill him.

Seeing Clark collapse, Trask began to smile. Trask was pleased to see that Clark had to fight to even breathe.

Standing over Clark, Trask smiled that malevolent smile and said, "You think you're better than humans, don't you? Flying around, oh so perfect and superior. Well, those days are over now, aren't they?"

Clark gritted out, "You're wrong!"

There was a gloating tone to his voice as Trask said, "No, as it happens, you are wrong. It's over now. I have won and this little piece of home is going to be the death of you, Superman."

Clark was holding his stomach, feeling like he was going to vomit, he was on his knees and bent over. He craned his head around and looked up at Trask. It took all of his effort to even breathe, let alone talk.

Suddenly, Trask dropped the rock next to Clark and spun, delivering a spinning wheel kick which sent Clark sprawling in the dirt.

Trask didn't see Lois peeking out from the back of the van. Lois had a worried expression on her face, but she knew that there was nothing she could do just then. She had to watch and wait for her opportunity. If she were to reveal her presence there was nothing stopping Trask from killing her on the spot as an accessory or of him using her against Clark. She just hoped that Trask didn't pull that gun of his and shoot Clark. Remembering the paper cut, she knew that because of that rock he had to be vulnerable again, but it was possible that Trask didn't know that and was depending on the rock to do the dirty work.

When he had kicked Clark, he had rolled away from the green rock so Trask picked it up and moved it closer to him. As the distance decreased Clark's pain increased exponentially. When Trask had it close, Clark was writhing on the ground in pain. Trask said, with the air of one who has won a major conflict, "I've won."

Trask could faintly hear sirens in the distance. Coming to a decision, he pushed the rock on the ground even closer to Clark and said, "Unfortunately, I won't be able to stay for the services." Knowing that his operations were outside the law, he knew that he had to leave. He only hoped that his adversary would be dead before help arrived. Trask turned his back and headed for the van and escape.

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ *

Clark interrupted, "I was able to throw that rock away. I made a mistake by throwing it into the pond. When we were fighting I was being exposed again. Did he do that too?"

"Ah, my boy. This Clark had an ace in the hole, so to speak, uh, actuality it was a queen. His Lois was there, watching all of this unfold."

"But did she know what to do?"

"He had told her of some of the effects of that rock and she had been watching."

Lois spoke up, "Yeah, Clark. It wasn't me, but actually it was. Give me a little credit. If I had been there I would have figured it out. She helped, didn't she, Herb?"

"Why don't I continue the story?"

And now

Chapter 16

Clark was in so much pain he could only writhe on the ground. He was totally helpless and close to losing consciousness.

Trask was still unaware of Lois's presence and as he passed the van, Lois saw her chance. She thought to herself, <I have to get that rock away from Clark!> Jumping down from the back of the van, she scurried out from her concealment and stooping picked up the rock. As quickly as she could she ran away bearing the dangerous mineral. She didn't stop until she was on the other side of the shed and at least fifty feet from Clark. Using her hands, heedless of what it was doing to her fingernails, she quickly scooped out a hollow in the dirt, dropped the rock in it and then pushing the dirt over it with her hands covered it up again.

As soon as Lois took the rock away, Clark started to recover. No longer was he in the extreme pain that he had been and consciousness returned in a flash. He didn't know what had caused the change because his eyes had been closed at the time. He had heard running footsteps. They had been light so he knew it hadn't been Trask. He could only surmise that it had been Lois and that somehow she had correctly guessed that she needed to remove that poisonous rock. He knew that he was without his powers and was vulnerable again, but at least the pain was gone. With the pain lifted he was able to stir and again open his eyes. The sight that greeted him was that of Trask's retreating back as he entered the van. Knowing that there was only one way to prevent Trask from escaping, he started pushing himself upright and shouted, as strongly as he could, "Trask!" He had to use himself as bait to keep him from getting away.

Surprised at hearing his name, Trask turned expecting to see Clark still groveling on the ground, but instead saw him rising to his feet and said, "Oh, very brave, and very foolish." He un-holstered his weapon, but seeing Clark apparently unsteady on his feet decided to torture him somewhat before killing him. Waving it negligently around he said, "Now, let's see. Who should go first? You … or the human traitors who have sheltered you all these years?" Seeing the look of fear on Clark's face was everything he had hoped for, so Trask decided to save the best for last and headed for the shed.

Perceiving the threat to his family desperation seized Clark and infused him with strength he didn't know he possessed and as Trask passed close to him, Clark charged Trask hitting him like a linebacker tackling the quarterback, knocking him off of his feet. Trask had been showboating and as a result, with the collision Trask lost his grip on his automatic and it went flying.

After the collision as they were picking themselves up, Clark appeared to be played out from that effort. He was bent over at the waist trying to catch his breath as if he had run a race.

Trask seeing this sneered and said, "That's okay, Superman, I don't need a gun." Trask approached and launched an unarmed attack. He had been given the fundamentals of the martial arts in basic training, but apparently the years of command had diminished his need of practice and his sloppiness was apparent as he launched a kick which lacked the power and thrust of a practitioner, but was still strong enough to bowl Clark over because of his weakened condition and sent him sprawling on the ground.

Disdaining Clark's pitiful efforts to prevent him from harming his parents, Trask started to walk right past him toward the shed.

Without climbing to his feet and with a supreme effort of the will, Clark launched himself at Trask's legs and grabbed them, pulling Trask to the ground.

As Clark was pulling Trask to the ground, Lois returned from burying the rock and stood, partially concealed behind the corner of the shed and watched. She knew that she dared not interfere because Trask was not above using her against Clark.

Even in this weakened state, Clark displayed a superhero's courage and proved that it wasn't just super-powers that made Clark Kent a superman, but a super-heart. Clark and Trask battled man-to-man. It quickly became obvious that Trask was the superior street fighter, but Clark battled with the strength of desperation because he had the most to lose.

While they were on the ground they grappled. Trask was finally able to get in a solid punch and Clark released Trask. Clark stumbled back against the side of the shed near where Lois was hiding. Trask moved in and launched a side-kick which Clark avoided, but which made a hole in the wall of the shed. While Trask's leg was caught in the hole he had created, Clark again tackled him, spinning him around and throwing him into the side of the shed, shattering the window. Trask threw him off and Clark fell backwards over a bale of hay. Trask pursued him, rolling over the hay bale, coming up on his feet in a fighting stance looming over Clark who was still on his back on the ground. He landed on his feet, but when he did he was too close to Clark and Clark managed to sweep his feet out from under him causing him to fall heavily.

Fortunately, thanks to Lois's intervention his exposure to the Rock had been of much shorter duration than the earlier exposure. Clark could feel himself recovering some of his strength which he had lost from the exposure and he was very thankful that it was a bright sunny day. The problem was that he had no way of knowing when his powers would return. This exposure had come so soon after he had finally recovered his powers from the earlier exposure there was no way to tell what the effect was going to be.

Thinking that her martial arts skills may prove useful, Lois watched the fight, waiting for her chance to enter the fray.

She saw Clark sweep Trask's feet causing him to fall. Seeing Clark gain his feet before Trask, she thought that he was finally going to have the upper hand in the conflict. She gasped when she saw that as Trask got up he had a long handled spade in his hands. Apparently it had been on the ground next to him when he fell. Using it like a baseball bat, trying to cut Clark with the shovel blade, he took a swing at Clark.

She felt relieved when Clark was able to duck under the spade. The swing took the shovel to Trask's left side and rather than trying to swing south-paw Trask used the handle to try to jab Clark in the stomach.

Being vulnerable, when he was jabbed with the handle it took the wind out of him and he bent over, but as Clark bent over, in reflex, he grabbed the handle with both hands as he did.

Trask tried to wrench the spade free and failed. Thanks to the sunlight Clark's strength was returning and even though he was still weaker than usual he was able to wrest the shovel from Trask.

When the shovel was wrest from his grip, Trask backpedaled to get some distance in case Clark tried the same tactic on him.

Seeing this Lois did a silent cheer. She couldn't be out there, but she could cheer Clark on.

Clark, realizing that what he was holding could possibly be a deadly weapon was appalled at the idea and tossed the shovel aside. Seeing a hay fork lying nearby, Clark decided to act preemptively and picking it up, snapped the handle over his knee, near the tines so that Trask couldn't use it as a weapon and threw the two halves away.

With a roar of frustration, Trask tackled Clark and as they tasseled they spun first to the left and then the right. Because of the sunlight, minute by minute, Clark could feel his strength returning, but very slowly. As a result, he managed to stay on his feet, but he gave ground. Their momentum carried them out onto a short dock in the pond and then the two of them tumbled off the dock and into the water, where they started trading blows.

Trask was able to get the upper hand briefly and forced Clark's head below the surface of the water intent on drowning him. Clark's strength prevailed however and he was able to break Trask's hold and rose, gasping above the surface.

Fortunately for Clark, because of Lois' actions, this exposure had been shorter than the time in the shed. Then Jonathan had inadvertently left the box open and that had prolonged his exposure. He didn't have his super-powers just then, but because of the shortened exposure he was still strong and thanks to the sunlight, growing stronger by the minute. His strength was possibly not quite up to that of an ordinary Earthman, but the older Trask unexpectedly found himself on the wrong end of a beating.

Little by little, Clark youth and strength prevailed and he was able to batter down Trask's defenses and get in some telling blows. Finally, Trask was becoming groggy and was at Clark's mercy. They were standing in chest high water and Clark was poised to deliver a blow that would have knocked Trask out, when seeing just a pathetic beaten man he stopped abruptly.

Clark stood poised with his fist cocked for what would be the final blow and Trask, seeing all of his plans going up in smoke, shouted, "Go ahead, Superman! Kill me. I would have killed you!"

Realizing how far he had sunk, approaching Trask's level he became disgusted with himself and lowering his fist Clark said, "That's not the way I work, Trask." Clark grabbed his arm and dragged him to the edge of the pond where he left him kneeling on the ground. Clark left him and walked over toward the shed as the sirens grew louder.

As soon as Clark's back was turned and he was walking toward the shed, Trask rapidly came to his feet showing that his apparent defeated state was a ploy and a chrome plated double-barreled derringer materialized in Trask's hand. He was leveling it at Clark's back when Lois shouted, "Clark! Look out!"

The sirens in the distance were the deputies approaching. While the fight had progressed, unnoticed by the two combatants, Rachel Harris, with Jimmy Olsen had pulled into the yard. Rachel had just stepped out of her car and when she heard Lois shout, she saw the danger and pulling her sidearm sighted and fired without thinking.

In response to Lois' warning, Clark started to duck. Lois's scream distracted Trask causing him to jerk slightly just as he pulled the trigger firing both barrels. As Clark was ducking, Trask took the bullet from Rachel's gun, center of mass, very near the heart. It was a fatal wound. The impact of the slug drove him backward and his lifeless body fell back into the pond, the Derringer falling from his limp fingers.

Lois broke from her cover at the side of the shed and ran to Clark. Kneeling at his side, Lois pulled his body onto her lap and cradled it against hers. She gasped, and started crying and calling his name as if it was a mantra. He was limp and his left side was covered with blood. She cradled his body weeping despondently.

Suddenly, having finally finished freeing themselves from the ropes, Jonathan, Martha were beside her. She bawled, "Oh, Martha, he's been shot. We need to do something!"

Inordinately calm in the face of the emergency, Martha knelt next to Lois and felt for a pulse at Clark's neck. She nodded and placed a hand on Lois' arm. She said, "He's alive."

Lois blurted out, "But he's been shot! He's bleeding!"

Looking at Jonathan, Martha said, "First aid kit."

Jonathan nodded and headed for the house.

Relief flooded over her when she realized that Clark was alive and looking around she spotted Rachael Harris. She said, "Thank you."

As Lois watched, Rachel holstered her gun and she noticed that Rachel looked somewhat dazed.

The shock of what she had done, she had just shot and killed someone for the first time and she knew that the memory of that moment would haunt her for the rest of her life. Even though her father had been elected sheriff, she had been a farm girl. Everyone in the county had that as their roots. She had seen animals slaughtered, that was run of the mill, but a person, that was a different story. She knew that she still had a job to do and that she needed to pull herself together so once her weapon was holstered, she shook her head to clear it and concentrated on what she had to do. She could remember what she had done and think about it … later.

A few seconds later, just as Jonathan was returning with the first aid kit, a couple more police cars pulled up near them. In the back were the two agents that Trask had sent to patrol the perimeter. Patrolman Cooper stepped out of one of the cars and took in the scene. The patrol cars looked like they had been through a war. There were bullet holes in the wind screen and doors. He said, "Sheriff, what do you want us to do with these guys. They put up a fight, but we had more ammo so they finally gave up."

Having gotten herself back in control, Rachel said, "Let's see what we have and then we'll decide."

Lois was still kneeling on the ground cradling the injured Clark in her lap, crying inconsolably and mumbling Clark's name over and over and rocking back and forth while Martha applied first aid.

Rachael said, "Coop, stand by until we have the details." Then she turned and addressing no one in particular, asked, "Okay, what do we have here?"

Jonathan replied, "Well Sheriff, if you look in the shed you'll find Wayne Irig still tied up. We were in there with him until a minute ago. He's still unconscious. I wouldn't strike any matches around here for a while. Trask tried to murder us by setting the shed on fire, I guess you can smell the gas. He was about to murder Clark and would also have murdered Lois if he hadn't been stopped. That fella, Trask, was obsessed to the point of insanity with the destruction of Superman. He was beating on Clark because he thought that would draw Superman to his rescue."

Sheriff Harris turned to the deputy asked, "Coop, could you have one of the men retrieve the body? It's in the pond."

Coop pointed to Trask's body. And said, "Hank, could you pull him out?"

After a few seconds, Lois was able to speak again and she was nearly frantic as she said, "Sheriff, over at the Irig farm, they are packing up to move. You need to get over there and stop them. Don't let them get away!"

In almost a state of shock at this revelation, Rachel replied, "I have other cars responding to Wayne's farm."

Lois spoke up, "Sheriff, Carol Sherman, the woman over on the Irig farm, was duped into participating in this. Once she found out the truth, she only participated under the threat of death. She was worried about her little girl. She helped me escape. I'm sure she'll testify about what she saw. Maybe she could be classed as a material witness. Go easy on her, okay?"

Rachel said, "I'll do what I can. You may need to testify on her behalf."

Before moving Trask, the medical examiner would have to be called, so the Sheriff went into the shed to check on Wayne Irig. The Sheriff needed to see what was there so that she could give eye witness testimony. She called Jimmy over, "Mr. Olsen, do you have your camera handy?"

Jimmy replied, "Yes I do, Sheriff. What do you need?"

"Could you take some crime scene pictures for me?"

"Sure thing Sheriff, just tell me what you want."

Rachel had Jimmy take pictures of Wayne before she untied him and the gasoline trail as well as Clark in his wounded, depleted condition.

When Wayne came around he said, "That fella Trask, he wasn't EPA! He was with something he called Bureau 39, I overheard them talking. He injected me with some kind of babble juice and when that didn't work he started busting my fingers."

Rachel said, "Wayne, now, I want you to get yourself into the hospital and get those fingers taken care of and tell them that I need a copy of the report, you hear me?"

Wayne replied, "Right Sheriff."

Rachel turned to one of her deputies and said, "Hank, take those prisoners in and lock them up. Coop, you stay here with me. I'll need to go over to the Irig place and you'll be in charge here. Later, I'll give Mr. Olsen here a ride back to town. He left his car there."

Seeing that Clark had recovered consciousness, she moved over next to him and kneeling next to him asked, "How are you Clark? You don't look the best. It looks like you need to go to the hospital too."

Weakly, Clark replied, "No, I don't think so, Rachel."

Martha spoke up, "I think one bullet just creased his arm, the other passed clear through his shoulder. It was bleeding a lot, but it has slowed down, thanks to some first aid. It was the pain that knocked him out. It was a near thing, but I think he'll be okay. I don't think there's anything they can do in the hospital that a little TLC can't do." Martha looked significantly at Lois as she finished.

Rachel moved over and stood above Trask. She said, "Don't touch anything." She raised her voice slightly as she said, "Mr. Olsen, before you go, I have one more job for you." Then she addressed her deputy, "Coop, call for an ambulance, please."

Jonathan spoke up, "When I went into the house for the first aid kit, I tried the phone. The line's dead."

Nodding, Deputy Cooper moved over to his car and got on the radio. When he finished he reported, "An ambulance is on the way Sheriff. I put in a call to the phone company too. They're sending out a line truck."

"Thanks, Coop. Stand by till they clean up."

"Will do, Sheriff."

Even though he was awake, Lois continued to hold Clark, cradling his upper body in her arms and rocking back and forth. Unashamedly, Lois showered him with kisses, tears of joy and relief that he would recover streaming down her cheeks while everyone else looked on.

Jimmy moved over and started taking more pictures. He made sure to catch pictures of the derringer as well as Trask. Jimmy was really earning his crime photographer stripes on this trip.

As soon as Jimmy finished up, Cooper went into his trunk and brought out an evidence kit. He donned a pair of rubber gloves and pulled out a plastic bag. He picked up the derringer and placed it in the bag, sealed it and wrote the details on the outside. He did the same with the gun that Trask had dropped and the ammunition. The bags all went into the kit and back into the trunk.

Rachel turned to Lois and said, "Lois, it sure looks like you have more influence over Clark than I ever did. You take care of him now, ya' hear?"

Lois looked at Clark, smiled at Rachel and said, "I'll take care of him Sheriff."

Coming out of her morbid mood somewhat, Rachel chuckled and said, "Lois, why don't you just call me Rachel. After all," Rachel nodded in Clark's direction as she continued. "We have something in common."

Lois looked again at Clark and pulled him to herself as she said, "Yeah, Rachel, I guess we do."

Rachel said, "I guess I'll see y'all later. I need to go check on the rest of my deputies and make sure we got the entire bunch," as she turned and headed for her car she said, "Mr. Olsen, could I trouble you for another task? I might need more pictures."

Jimmy smiled and said, "I'm all yours, Sheriff."

Rachel said, "Hop in and we'll go. When we're done, I'll take you to your car so that you can get to wherever it is you need to go."

"Thanks, Sheriff." Jimmy could see promotion to staff photographer in his near future. "I'll be coming back here, at least briefly, before I drive to Wichita for my flight."

After a while the ambulance arrived. The EMTs looked at Clark's wounds. Seeing that the bleeding had stopped they applied some antibiotic ointment and redressed the wounds and put his left arm in a sling.

Using a body bag, they hauled away Trask's body by placing it on a long board and transferring it to a stretcher in the back. Wayne rode with the EMT in the back as they transported him to the ER to take care of his hand.

Deputy Cooper followed the ambulance when it left.

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ *

Lois let out the breath she had been holding in a loud whoosh. "Wow, that was a close one! He almost killed Clark. I guess that Rachel was a few seconds later than our Rachel. But now Lois knows The Secret."

"I see what you meant, he didn't exactly tell her, she just found out. I guess the way it worked out, there was no way for it to be avoided."

Lois added, "Yeah, what is she going to do with that knowledge now? Use it as additional leverage to force him to go through with the wedding?"

Herb looked at Lois and asked, "What would you have done?"

"I honestly don't know. The way it happened, I don't think I would have been mad. I think I would have understood."

Herb's response was an enigmatic, "We shall see."

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 10/16/15 11:14 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj