Disclaimer: All recognisable characters etc. are property of DC Comics, December 3rd Productions and Warner Bros.

Author's note: This is set partway through The Eyes Have It, after Superman tells Lois he'll have to figure out how to be the best blind person he can be.

I meant every word I said to Lois.

I truly believe that our purpose in life is to be the best we can be. And if this blindness is permanent, I will have to learn to cope with it.

I just don't know how.

I showed more confidence to Lois than I actually feel. I had to; she needed to be reassured.

I think I was trying to reassure myself at the same time.

The truth is, I have no idea what I'll do if I am permanently blind.

What good is a blind superhero?

For that matter, what do I do about Clark? I learnt after the whole resurrected gangsters incident that I have to be Clark Kent. But how can I work? How can I be a reporter if I can't see what I'm supposed to report? How do I investigate? Also, Clark can't suddenly turn up blind. There'd be so many questions- too many questions- especially from Lois.

Lois. She's the only one that knows about my- Superman's- current disability. If Clark turns up blind at the same time, she'll put the pieces together. Though that's not really a bad thing...

I've heard it said that if you lose a sense, the rest of your senses intensify as if to compensate. I already have enhanced senses compared to humans; losing my sight means more than the somewhat limited capacity of humans. It means losing my x-ray vision and heat vision as well, though I haven't tested the heat vision. It's too dangerous when I can't see. I don't know if it's possible for my other senses to be any more intense than they already are, and if it is I don't know if I can handle it. My superhearing alone can already be close to overwhelming.

It can't really be permanent, can it? I've faced much deadlier things than a simple beam of light without ill effects. Surely this will just wear off, or a solution can be found.

Until then, I have to learn how to cope with this blindness.

I don't have a choice.

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg