The Matchmaker Files - An Unusual Proposal

Rated PG-13

G - Story - TOC

* emphasis*
<thoughts>

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * time passed – scene change

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ * scene change – universe change

Previously

Jimmy was so excited he was almost totally incoherent as he launched into a Lois-like babble, "Okay, right. There's a guy, his name's Trask, he thinks there are UFO's, I mean, there are UFO'S, but this guy collects them. Anyway he's here in Smallville and he's got my friends and we gotta go save them now or they're gonna be toast. Do you know how to call the Army? The National Guard? We're gonna need some kind of helicopter ..."

Rachel gave this very excitable and excited young man a close appraisal trying to decide whether to believe him or arrest him. She was torn. Finally she decided to get more information. "You're not from around here, are you?"

Jimmy, calming down somewhat replied, "My name is Jimmy Olsen. I'm from Metropolis. I'm with the Daily Planet and my friends -"

Rachel interrupted him at this point and her face brightening up said, "Clark Kent."

Jimmy brightened up, she knew them, he added, "and Lois Lane."

Rachel's face fell as she said, "Oh, her," her face looked like she had just bitten into a particularly sour lemon as she did.

Not picking up on Rachel's attitude, Jimmy continued, "The guy who's got them, Trask, he could do anything, including murder them."

Rachel, seeing how agitated and yet sincere he was decided that immediate action would be needed. She turned toward the patrol car and said, "Get in."

There was some confusion as they tried to move past one another with Rachel heading for the driver’s seat. All she could do was shake her head at this very excited city boy.

As soon as Jimmy was in and the door closed Rachel pushed down on the gas pedal and peeled away. As they started to head out of town, Rachel asked, "Where are they?"

"They were at a farm. I think the name started with an ‘I’.”

"Would it be the Irig farm?”

“Yeah, that’s the one.”

Rachel picked up the microphone of her two-way radio and keying the microphone said, "Unit one to Base. This is the sheriff. I need back-up. Have all cars report to the Irig farm, ASAP."

After receiving acknowledgements from her deputies, Rachel put the microphone in its clip and then said to Jimmy, "By the way, my name is Rachel Harris."

"Pleased to meet you, Sheriff."

She paused for a few seconds before she asked, "How well do you know Clark Kent?"

Jimmy smiled and said, "Me and CK? We're best buds."

"Has he ever mentioned me?"

If Jimmy answered it was drowned out by the roar of the engine. Seconds later, before she could ask him to repeat his answer, a call came in on the police radio for the sheriff. The dispatcher said, "Sheriff, I've got some woman talking about UFOs and the government and Superman. It's probably a crank. Should I blow her off?"

Rachel realized, from the description, just who it was and said, "No, it's okay, patch her through." Then keying her microphone again she said, "Go ahead Lois."

Lois was frantic as she said, "Sheriff, you have to get to the Kent farm, immediately."

Rachel replied, "Copy that. I'm on my way to the Irig farm to check out the disturbance there."

Lois said, "Forget that! That's where I am. They're packing up to leave. You need to get to the Kent farm … now. The Kents are in danger."

"I'm on my way!" Rachel put on her lights and siren because to this point she had been code 1, no lights, no siren. A short time later she was halted at the railroad crossing by a freight train.

She picked up her microphone and keying it sent, "All units, I need units 3 and 4 to report to the Irig place, all others respond directly to the Kent farm. The freight has me blocked. I'll get there as quick as I can."

Jimmy, seeing that they weren't moving and probably wouldn't be for some time thought that now would be an appropriate time to try the signal watch and try to get Superman's help. He leaned out of the car window and holding his wrist up triggered the signal while muttering to himself as if speaking to the superhero he said, "I'll apologize later, big guy."

While they are waiting, Rachel removed her revolver; a chrome-plated western style six-shooter, from its holster and checked to make sure it was loaded.

Jimmy could see that her hands were shaking somewhat so he asked, "You ever fire that before?"

Rachel had a nervous smile to go along with her shaking hands as she replied, "Of course I've fired it, but, only on the range. Smallville's not exactly what you would call the crime capitol of the world."

Jimmy quipped, "Not exactly a confidence builder."

When she finished checking the revolver, she replaced it in its holster and returned to the other topic, "This, Lois. Does she love Clark and does he love her?"

"Gee, Sheriff, I don't know. It was only a couple of days ago that we all heard that they were getting married. Nobody knew anything about it before then. I kinda thought that they were getting very friendly before they were promoted to the editor’s office, but then she sort of took the office over and things weren’t the same. It came as a surprise, I tell you. He might have some feelings for her, but who can tell?"

Rachel smiled and nodded her head. The caboose came into sight and Rachel shifted back into drive. As soon as the intersection was clear they were moving.

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ *

"This is getting exciting. Did Rachel get there in time?"

Herb's answer wasn't comforting, "Sort of."

Clark let out a groan, "Oh, no."

And now

Chapter 15

Once she had placed the call to the sheriff, Lois looked around, trying to determine her best course of action. While Lois was making the call, Sherman had gone to the front of the tent and acted as a looked out. When she rejoined Lois she led her to the side and lifted the canvas. "Stay low and near the bushes. Most of them are busy loading the heavy equipment. Good luck."

Lois asked, "What'll they do to you when they see I'm gone."

Sherman thought for a second before she answered, "I'll tell them I was knocked out. I'll just lay down on the ground until I hear someone coming and make it look like I'm just coming to."

Lois said, "Thanks," ducked under the side of the tent where she wouldn't be seen and headed back to where she had parked the car. Crouching low and dashing from bush to bush, being careful to move only when no one was looking in her direction, she made it away from the work area. All of the guards had been pulled in to help with the move so she made it all the way to the car without incident. Fortunately they hadn't taken her keys which meant that she wouldn't have to boost the car. Reaching the car she started it and with tires throwing gravel she headed back to the Kent farm.

She didn't drive onto the property, but instead parked out of sight. Exiting the car, she stealthily approached the farm. When she got close enough, she saw the van that they had been in parked near some buildings. She only saw a couple of men and they were busy in what appeared to be a small shed standing apart from the barn, so she snuck over to the van and climbed in through the side door, closing it silently after herself. As soon as her eyes adjusted to the gloom, she saw Clark. He was staring at her in disbelief, slumped against the side of the van. His hands were shackled and suspended in the air. His ankles were also shackled.

Taking in the situation immediately, she looked around for anything she could use to pick the locks.

Clark said in a harsh whisper, "Lois, what are you doing here? It's too dangerous."

"I need to get you out of those cuffs."

"What if Trask catches you?" He could hear the thud of combat boots approaching and said, "Someone's coming. Quick, hide behind those boxes."

Lois was quick to comply and it was a good thing because she was no sooner hidden than the rear doors were pulled open.

When the back doors of the van opened, Clark blinked in the sudden glare of the sunlight. His movements were very restricted because of the shackles on his wrists and ankles. To top it off the wrist shackles had been thrown over a brace in the ceiling of the van before being closed about his wrists so that he was literally hanging by his wrists. It was fortunate that the low overhead of the van allowed him to sit on the floor. Trask confronted Clark and said, "Your situation grows desperate, Mr. Kent. I now have your parents." He was emphatic, but as he continued he became frantic, "What I want is Superman. If you want to save your parents, you'll tell me what I want to know." He paused for a few seconds as if deciding on a course of action and the, making his decision, he spoke again, "I'll make a deal with you, a trade. You give me Superman and I'll let them live."

Emotions flitted across Clark's features, fear predominating. Fear for his parent's welfare and fear for Lois' life. His personal danger never entered his mind. His only concern was for those he loved. In a flash he weighed his options and knew that there was only one answer. He stated, "You have to promise that you'll let them go. Do I have your word on that?" He had decided on a desperate ploy. He just hoped it would work. The fact that right now he was powerless and vulnerable could make or break the situation, but, he had to try.

Eagerly, almost like a child with a toy being dangled in front of him, Trask said, "Oh, I do. I do. I absolutely do. Of course … you have my word."

Clark said, "Okay then, he's right here. I'm Superman."

Hearing this, Lois stifled a gasp that fortunately Trask didn't hear.

Trask just stared at him. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. What Trask was seeing put the lie to Kent's words. Clark Kent was shackled and helpless, unable to free himself and he was claiming to be Superman. What if he was only acting weak?

When Trask didn't answer or even move, Clark tried again, "Really, Trask, I'm Superman."

Trask finally responded by asking in a skeptical tone, "Are you now?" His face didn't change from one of disbelief as he pulled his sidearm. He preferred a cross-draw holster so his weapon was on the left side of his belt. In this case he used his left hand to pull the weapon out. It was more awkward, but he wanted to emphasize what he was doing for Kent's benefit. Once he had drawn the weapon and shifted it to his right hand, Trask pulled the hammer back so that he could fire single-action and then he quickly brought the weapon to bear, pointing it at Clark.

It all was happening so fast that Lois didn't have time to react and it was a good thing that she didn't because that would have only put her into greater danger.

Seeing this action Clark was afraid that he had overplayed his hand. Being vulnerable, if Trask shot him he could actually be seriously injured or even die. Fear took over and Clark cringed back and shouted, "Wait! No, Trask, no!"

With that malevolent grin on his face at Kent's response to his threat, Trask pulled the trigger, but all that was heard was the metallic click of the hammer falling on the firing pin. There was no explosion because Trask hadn't loaded a round into the breach. Clark slumped back as far as the chains would allow, gasping for breath, the fear having rendered regular breathing problematical. Trask laughed as he said, "That was fear, Mr. Kent, stark terror. This gun wouldn't harm Superman so he wouldn't be afraid. So much for you being noble and trying to shield Superman. It was a nice try, but I want the real thing. Now, where is he?"

Clark needed to buy some time, so that Lois could escape so he kept his mouth shut even in the face of Trask's raging menace.

Trask, seeing that Clark was being less than cooperative decided that additional motivation was needed. He decided to give him some time to think about the situation and slammed the doors of the van closed while he worked on that motivation.

As soon as the doors were closed again, Lois came out from hiding and hissed, "What did you think you were doing? He could have shot you."

"Were you worried about me?"

"Of course I was worried about you. We still need to get married."

"Oh, just so you won't be deported."

"Yeah, there is that, but I don't want to see you get hurt. I've sorta, kinda become attached to you. I need to find something I can pick those locks with and we can get out of here."

"That won't do any good. He has my parents."

With confidence, or false bravado, Lois affirmed, "We'll get them out too."

After he closed the doors of the van, Trask went to the shed to check on the job his underlings had done in tying up the prisoners. He noticed that Wayne Irig appeared to be unconscious, probably a result of all that he had been through and the pain of his broken fingers. Satisfied that they were secure Trask moved over to the van and opening the doors again, said, "Maybe you won't talk on your own account, but what about your family?"

When Clark had heard his approach he had told Lois to hide again so she was again crouching behind the boxes, listening to everything.

Seeing that Clark remained uncooperative, Trask jacked the slide on his automatic after seating the magazine. "This time I'm not kidding. Now, you tell me just where Superman is or I start on you. First the knees, then the elbows. Do I need to draw you a diagram? If that doesn't work …" He pulled out a matchbook and held it up for Clark to see.

Lois was tempted to topple the boxes over on Trask, but realized that they were too far inside of the van to do any good, so she kept quiet and still.

Counting on the fact that even Trask wouldn't commit cold blooded murder of innocents in this way Clark maintained his silence.

Seeing that his threats were not working, in frustration, Trask slammed the doors shut again. Moving away from the van he started scanning the sky, looking for a blue and red clad form.

After several minutes of this Trask was becoming impatient. He had been baulked at every turn. He had Lane and Kent and the Superhero hadn't come to their aid unlike the last time. Maybe he was at the Irig farm rescuing Lane or maybe he needed her here to get Kent to speak. He grabbed a walkie-talkie and called one of his agents at that farm, "I want you to check on Lane. Make sure she is still there. Over."

"Roger, Colonel. I'll check and call you back. Out."

While he waited for the callback, Trask walked over to the door of the shed and checked on the unwilling occupants. He signaled to one of his agents. He indicated the gasoline can. The agent picked it up and starting inside the shed, poured gasoline first on the hay and then laid a trail out the door and twenty feet across the yard.

Once the agent dropped the can he headed for the van to join his companion who was now standing near it. Trask addressed the Kents, "Remember, you give your lives in the cause of humanity."

For some time, he stood there looking into the sky, waiting for the superhero to appear.

Before his underlings had a chance to enter the van, he gestured to them as he said, "Scout the perimeter." Obediently the guards headed for the road leaving Trask there by himself again.

His walkie-ralkie came to life and he heard, "Colonel?"

"Trask, here. Over."

"Colonel, the Lane woman is gone. We found Sherman, apparentky knocked out. Over."

"You're sure about that? Ask her how she was knocked out. Over."

"She's not sure. She says she was packing for the move and suddenly she was knocked out. Over."

"Hurry the move. Out."

Trask was thinking, <There are two possibilities, Lane got loose or Superman freed her. If that's the case he could come here next.> He started staring into the sky looking for the primary color wearing superhero.

In the back of the van, Clark struggled against his bonds, to no avail. Lois had not found anything with which to pick the locks and his powers had not returned and he had no idea as to just when or if that would happen. At the end of his strength and almost at the end of his rope, he slumped in despair, exhausted from his struggles. Lois tried to comfort him by carrying on a whispered conversation. Clark filled her in on what he had surmised from what Trask had told him. He told her about the Rock and how he planned to use it against Superman.

Almost despairing of getting out of this situation, Lois finally admitted to herself that Clark really mattered to her. She finally put her arms around his neck and hugged him. She said, "Clark, I'm sorry."

"Sorry? Sorry for what?"

Her eyes bright with unshed tears, she pulled back and said, "Sorry for putting you in this position."

"Lois, Trask is the one that put me in this position, not you."

As she laid her cheek on his chest, she said, "No, I mean, making you marry me."

"Don't be sorry. I'm not," he replied in the breath of a whisper.

She put her arms back around his neck and started to quietly sob. As she did, she whispered, "I think ..." "I think ..." "I think ..." Each time she would start her sentence, a wracking sob would interrupt it.

Lois had fallen silent, simply hanging onto him and sobbing when after a short time Clark suddenly heard an ear-splitting beeping noise. His head snapped up, remembering that sound from the other day at the Planet and he knew two things, first and most importantly, his powers were back and two, Jimmy Olsen was nearby. Smiling he thought, <I'm back!> Clark grasped the chain linking the manacles and pulled. The links broke! He smiled at this success and brought his now free hands down and placing a palm on each side of Lois's face pulled her into a tender kiss.

Lois eagerly participated in the kiss and it took a few seconds for what was happening to register and when it did she looked at him in shock and asked, "How'd you do that?"

Without saying anything he reached down and with his fingers, he broke the shackles off of his wrists and then broke them off of his ankles while Lois looked on aghast.

Suddenly Clark heard the rasp of a match being struck. He knew that there could be only one reason for that sound. He had never seen Trask smoke so it had to have something to do with his parents. In Superman's voice he said, "Stay here."

As she watched in awe, he quickly moved to the back of the van where he placed his hands on the doors and shoved. The doors almost exploded outward, completely leaving their hinges and falling to the ground.

Just as Trask was dropping the match on the gasoline trail the doors of the van burst out and he looked up in surprise.

When Trask dropped the match on the trail of gasoline, it ignited and formed a trail of flames which raced toward the shed. That was when the doors flew off of the van and Clark jumped out. Instantly taking stock of the situation he super-sped over and using his super lungs inhaled, sucking the air and the flames from the gasoline, snuffing the fire. Then, looking up, he exhaled, blowing the superheated air up and away from the gasoline.

Trask was staring at him in amazement, stunned at seeing this. It suddenly dawned on him that if he had actually shot Clark, unless he had been ‘playing ‘possum', he could have done away with this menace to society. As he watched, Clark disappeared into the shed and remained there. Trask had only one thought now, the rock. He needed to get it and see just how it affected him. He hastened to where he had placed it and opening the lid, lifted the rock out of the container.

Lois was watching everything from her hiding place in the back of the van. It amazed her to see Clark perform feats that she had believed only Superman could perform. Thoughts were swirling around in her head as she watched. Lois also saw Clark disappear into the shed. She saw Trask as he approached the shed and then heard Martha's voice as she shouted, "Clark, behind you!"

At her shout, Clark stood and spun around. When he did, he saw Trask approaching, but still at a distance. He hadn't finished releasing them from the ropes which bound them, but he stopped and turning back to his parents he said, "Just a minute." He moved to the doorway, exited the shed and moved to confront Trask.

He watched Trask. Trask was twenty-five feet away, simply standing there with his hands behind his back, looking like a soldier in the parade rest posture.

In a threatening tone, Clark said, "Don't take another step, Trask."

With a smirk, Trask said, "Fighting words, Mister Kent. Or should I call you, 'Superman'?" He considered the implications for a second before continuing, "A secret identity. Very clever."

Slowly, a step at a time, Clark started moving toward Trask. As he closed the distance he was speaking, "You're going to prison, Trask. For attempted murder, for kidnapping, Arson, for Official Misconduct."

Confidently, Trask tried one final threat, "Oh, but I'll tell everyone your secret."

Clark was fed up with Trask. In a determined tone he said, "I … don't … care. This ends … now, Trask!"

Trask smirked and said, "I agree, but the question is … for whom?"

At superspeed Clark closed the distance intent upon securing Trask for the police. When he was within ten feet of Trask he started to feel the same pain he had experienced the other night when his father had accidentally exposed him to the rock. The closer he got the more intense the pain was. His speed faltered and when he was almost within arm's length the pain was contorting his features. He tried to back pedal, to get more distance, but his strength and speed failed him. Trask followed Clark as he backed away, maintaining the distance. Suddenly, Clark's knees went weak and he collapsed to the dirt.

Watching this, Lois gasped in dismay. Because of her position, in the van, she was behind Trask and had seen the glowing green rock that he held behind his back. She knew that this was the rock that Clark had told her about, the rock that could kill him.

Seeing Clark collapse, Trask began to smile. Trask was pleased to see that Clark had to fight to even breathe.

Standing over Clark, Trask smiled that malevolent smile and said, "You think you're better than humans, don't you? Flying around, oh so perfect and superior. Well, those days are over now, aren't they?"

Clark gritted out, "You're wrong!"

There was a gloating tone to his voice as Trask said, "No, as it happens, you are wrong. It's over now. I have won and this little piece of home is going to be the death of you, Superman."

Clark was holding his stomach, feeling like he was going to vomit, he was on his knees and bent over. He craned his head around and looked up at Trask. It took all of his effort to even breathe, let alone talk.

Suddenly, Trask dropped the rock next to Clark and spun, delivering a spinning wheel kick which sent Clark sprawling in the dirt.

Trask didn't see Lois peeking out from the back of the van. Lois had a worried expression on her face, but she knew that there was nothing she could do just then. She had to watch and wait for her opportunity. If she were to reveal her presence there was nothing stopping Trask from killing her on the spot as an accessory or of him using her against Clark. She just hoped that Trask didn't pull that gun of his and shoot Clark. Remembering the paper cut, she knew that because of that rock he had to be vulnerable again, but it was possible that Trask didn't know that and was depending on the rock to do the dirty work.

When he had kicked Clark, he had rolled away from the green rock so Trask picked it up and moved it closer to him. As the distance decreased Clark's pain increased exponentially. When Trask had it close, Clark was writhing on the ground in pain. Trask said, with the air of one who has won a major conflict, "I've won."

Trask could faintly hear sirens in the distance. Coming to a decision, he pushed the rock on the ground even closer to Clark and said, "Unfortunately, I won't be able to stay for the services." Knowing that his operations were outside the law, he knew that he had to leave. He only hoped that his adversary would be dead before help arrived. Trask turned his back and headed for the van and escape.

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ *

Clark interrupted, "I was able to throw that rock away. I made a mistake by throwing it into the pond. When we were fighting I was being exposed again. Did he do that too?"

"Ah, my boy. This Clark had an ace in the hole, so to speak, uh, actuality it was a queen. His Lois was there, watching all of this unfold."

"But did she know what to do?"

"He had told her of some of the effects of that rock and she had been watching."

Lois spoke up, "Yeah, Clark. It wasn't me, but actually it was. Give me a little credit. If I had been there I would have figured it out. She helped, didn't she, Herb?"

"Why don't I continue the story?"

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 10/15/15 10:25 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj