The Matchmaker Files - An Unusual Proposal

Rated PG-13

G - Story - TOC

* emphasis*
<thoughts>

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * time passed – scene change

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ * scene change – universe change

Previously

Once Lois had changed into slacks and a top, she and Martha drove off in the truck.

Clark watched them drive off and then joined his dad in the field.

Once they were together, Jonathan asked, "Okay, Clark, what's the story."

"What story Dad?"

"You and Lois. This was rather sudden, wasn't it?"

"Yeah, it is Dad. They were threatening to deport her."

"Why?"

"Because she went out of the country on a story. The story that introduced her to the twins who told her about my gecko story which she remembered and when she heard Perry read it she remembered and showed Perry the rebel stories which got me the job, so you see, if she hadn't gone on that story she wouldn't have met the twins and heard about the geckos and I wouldn't have the job. I owe her."

"And?"

Clark sighed and then, reluctantly admitted, "And … I love her. I have from the start."

Putting an arm across Clark's shoulders, Jonathan said, "That's all I needed to hear. Come on, Son, let's go mend some fence."

The Corn Festival was still going on, but they ignored it as Martha took Lois around to the main shops in Smallville and introduced her to the proprietors, who were all long time friends. Martha's main objective seemed to be showing off her soon to be daughter-in-law. She had Lois help while she made some purchases and arrangements for the wedding. It was unusually hot and Lois found that she was sweating by the time they were finishing up.

They loaded up the bed of the pickup with their bags and headed back to the farm.

When they got there, Lois got out of the truck and was surprised when Martha didn't. "Aren't you coming in?"

Shaking her head, Martha said, "No, I have to run over to the Lang place. Some of the things I picked up are for them."

Lois looked at her sweat-stained shirt and said, "I think I'll take a shower and change. We may be going out tonight to snoop around."

"Okay, Lois. I'll be back in a while." Throwing the truck in gear, Martha drove off while Lois made her way back inside.

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ *

Lois interrupted the story again, "That's what I always liked about Jonathan and Martha, they are so accepting. If it's going to make Clark happy, they're all for it. I'm glad that they accepted me, especially after that trip. I really put Clark through a ringer what with my involvement with Luthor, my infatuation with Superman. It wasn't until I had Clark's powers for a while that I really got to know what it is like to be him."

"Mom created your costume and supported us both through that time."

"Is this Lois going to have to go through that? I mean, that happened before we were married. Will it still happen to them once they are married? Are they really going to be married? It is starting to sound like she is having some second thoughts."

"The timing of events between the universes, with a certain amount of deviation occurred, most of the time in almost the same way. This incident occurred early on in their relationship. As I said, there is another universe where I had to give the Lois of that universe some memories of their future married life."

"You've mentioned that before, Herb. Why did you need to do that?"

"In that particular universe, Sheriff Harris wouldn't be arriving at the Kent farm in time to rescue Clark from Trask. I gave Lois those memories so that she would be motivated to step in and be his rescuer. In the confrontation with Trask, she, accidentally mind you, killed Trask. He fell on a pitchfork."

Shocked, Clark blurted out, "Oh, no. How horrible for her to have that on her conscience."

"She was able to get over it quickly because she was more worried about Clark, he was wounded and relieved that Trask would no longer be bothering them." (See Green, Green Glow of Home - Matchmaker Style)

And now

Chapter 13

The weather in Kansas at that time of year can be unpredictable, to say the least. The day before had been warm, but comfortable. Today it was hot and dry, unseasonably hot and dry. Clark had never thought much about weather because extremes of hot and cold had never bothered him, but that had changed with the exposure to that rock.

Jonathan and Clark had been replacing fence posts, but under that Kansas sun it had been hot and sweaty work. Clark had been doing all of the digging with post-hole digger and shovel.

When they were finished, as he took off his gloves and looked at his hands, he said, "All my life, I just wanted to be normal. Now I'm not so sure. I think I'm going to have a big batch of blisters. I've never had a blister before in my life." Looking at his sweat-stained shirt he pulled the neck out and dipping his head into the neckline sniffed. "Whew, I smell! This never happened to me before. No matter what the temperature, I never sweat. But right now I really need a shower."

Shouldering the post-hole digger and shovel, Jonathan carried them over and dumped them into the trailer on back of the tractor. As he removed his gloves and climbed up into the tractor seat he said, "You go on ahead, I can finish up here. I just have to put these tools away. You go get cleaned up for your fiancée. I’m gonna ride the fence line and see what other posts need replacing."

"Thanks, Dad. I appreciate it." He picked up a Walkman from where it had been in the trailer and putting the earplugs in his ears tuned to the local news station to see what was happening in the world and if there was any mention of Wayne Irig and what was happening at his farm as he walked across the field and back to the house.

Lois finished her shower and as she turned off the water rubbed a porthole in the steamed up glass and looked for the towels. When she didn't see any, she realized that she had neglected to bring in a bath towel with her. She remembered the cabinet that Martha had shown her, but it was in the bedroom.

Clark hadn't heard anything about Wayne on the news so he had switched to a country western station and was humming along with a familiar tune as he walked by the bathroom, headed for the bedroom.

Lois thought she heard someone passing and called, "Hello, hello! I need some help! I forgot a towel!" Not hearing any reply, she stepped out of the enclosure and looked around as she dripped on the floor. She found a wash cloth and a loofah mitt, neither of which would suffice to dry her off. Standing there wet and naked she started to feel a chill so she decided that she'd have to simply leave the bathroom and move to the bedroom where all of the towels were. Since the house was empty there shouldn't be any problem, other than wet footprints down the hall.

With the earphones in his ears, Clark didn't hear Lois. He hadn't seen the pickup truck in the drive so he figured that his mom and Lois were still in town. Thinking he was alone in the house, as soon as he was in the bedroom, he stripped out of his working clothes.

There was a nagging worry in the back of her mind, what if there was someone else in the house? Lois thought she had heard someone walk by, but when she called out there was no answer. She decided that she must have just been hearing the old house making noises. That firmed her resolve to get to the bedroom as she thought to herself, <The towels are in the bedroom, therefore I need to go to the bedroom. I'll have to just scurry in there. There's no one else in the house. No problem.>

Clark entered the bedroom and as he did, he thought, <I didn’t see the truck in the drive so Mom and Lois must still be in town. Dad’s checking the fence line so I’m totally alone in the house. Clark had removed all of his soiled, sweaty clothes and placed them in the hamper, so he was totally naked when he grabbed a towel from the cabinet so that he could go take his shower. Unconcerned about his state of undress because he was the only one in the house he simply carried the towel in his hand as he turned toward the door.

As he opened the door, suddenly, he was knocked off of his feet when Lois barreled into him.

Taken completely by surprise he shouted, "What the …"

Reflexively Clark's arms went around Lois, clasping her close and their naked bodies were pressed up against each other as they fell to the floor, with Lois on top.

They looked into each other's faces and both shouted, "Oh my God!" in unison.

Her voice held, surprise, embarrassment and a little fear as Lois, shouted, "Oh God! What are you doing here?” The sensation of naked flesh against equally naked flesh was unmistakable and she shouted, “Why are you naked?"

Her naked body was pressed against him as they fell backward and the feel of naked flesh against his body was undeniable, but there was also water and as she was shouting her question, he shouted, "Why are you all wet?" He suddenly realized why he was shouting and pulled the ear plugs out of his ears.

She would have needed her hands and arms to regain her feet as she got off of him and since she was using them to cover herself she simply got onto her knees and in her acute embarrassment she continued to shout, "Don't look at me. Don't look at me," as she tried to cover herself with her hands and arms in an impromptu bikini.

Once she was off of him he stood and as he did, he shouted, "I don't understand," as he dove for the towel he had been holding.

She walked on her knees, as she made her way behind the bed, to put it between herself and him. Remembering how he had looked at her while she was in her nightie when he had said he wouldn't peek, she shouted again, "Don't look at me!"

As he leaned over to pick up the towel, he shouted, "Why are you all wet?"

She was looking at him to make sure he wasn't looking at her as he bent over and shouted, "Oh, God, you're showing everything! Cover up! Cover up, for the love of God." Finally she was behind the bed and grabbed a blanket. Pulling it off the bed she wrapped it around herself. In an indignant tone, she challenged, "Explain yourself, please."

Clark was irritated and as he wrapped the towel around his waist, repeated, "Explain myself?"

"Yes, explain yourself."

"I was going to take a shower."

In an irritated tone she challenged, "You didn't hear me?"

"When?”

“A few minutes ago. I thought I heard you pass the bathroom.”

“Oh, yeah, of course I didn't hear you, I was listening to some music! What are you even doing home? I didn't see the truck so I thought that you and Mom were still in town. You just jumped me out of nowhere."

"I didn't mean to jump you. Your mom dropped me off while she went to the Lang's. I went to take a shower, but I forgot to take a towel in with me. I thought you were out in the fields with your father so I was running back here to get a towel. You ... you just ... go! Go! Take your shower! You stink!"

"Right, okay." Clark turned to leave the room and head for the shower, "Nice tattoo by the way. You really need to be careful with what you wear. You wouldn't want that to be seen."

"Why not?"

"Oh, I don't know. People might talk."

As he disappeared out the door, Lois, in frustration and mortification, still on her knees, behind the bed, bending at the waist, threw herself face down on the bed, but no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't purge the feel of their bodies pressed together or the vision of his spectacular naked body and the lustful feelings they engendered in her mind. How was she going to do this? The more time went on and the closer they got, the harder it was to think that what they were doing was going to be temporary.

Herb had to stop the story because both Lois and Clark were laughing so hard that they couldn't pay the slightest bit of attention to him.

When they finally calmed somewhat, Lois asked, "What is her problem? They were planning to get married, right? They're going to have to see each other sooner or later. I mean, what's the big deal. I almost show that much when I wear a bikini."

Herb was smiling as he replied, "This Lois didn't grow up where there are long hot summers. Growing up she experienced long cold winters. Swimming was not unknown to her, but growing up she participated more in winter sports. Also, this Lois was a bit more conservative in her dress than most of the Lois Lanes I've come in contact with. Her skirts tended to be a bit on the longer side, usually at least below the knee. Occasionally she would show some cleavage, but rarely. Most of the time she wore blouses with at least short sleeves, never sleeveless."

"Wow, now I'm starting to feel sorry for her. The summers in Metropolis can be brutal."

Herb resumed his narrative.

That night as they were going to bed, Clark was thinking about what had happened in the afternoon, the feel of her body against his and as he settled on the floor again he muttered, "Oh, so naked."

Lois hurumphed and asked, "Can … can we not talk about that, please?" But in the back of her mind she was remembering the look and feel of his body against hers.

With a grin that Lois couldn't see, Clark replied, "I was just sayin'."

They both sighed a few times and then Lois finally decided to change the topic. "About the tattoo, I got it right after he showed up. It was very popular. Everyone was getting them."

"But, on your shoulder? That big red and yellow Superman shield."

"It's not that big and as long as I am careful about what I wear, who's to know?"

"Why did you get it?"

"Well, when he first showed up … I don't know, it was like hero worship. I really thought, I had a special connection to him, after all I was the one that named him and he rescued me from the bomb on the shuttle, then he snatched me out of the air when Trask threw me out of that plane and so many more times, but not so much anymore, I guess. It seems like, since I'm not getting into trouble anymore, he doesn't bother to visit. I guess it was just a stupid crush."

She paused a few seconds before deciding to relate some more things, "There are some more things that weren't covered in your list. Things you should probably know, like … I have never been good with pets. That's why I have fish. All I have to do is give them a pinch of food regularly and they are good. I don't like flowers in the house because it reminds me of funerals. I think Mel Gibson is sexy. I've never played a video game." She paused as if deciding whether or not she wanted to voice the next item. Then she continued, "I haven't even been on a date in over three years." She paused again and her tone was different as she went on, "I went into the bathroom and cried after Claude called me a poisonous b***h. I'm sure there are many, many other things, but that's all I can come up with right now."

Clark was silent. The revelation about the Superman tattoo had struck him even more than anything else and it plunged him into deep thought.

She was bothered by his silence and asked, "You there?"

He replied, "Yeah, I'm just processing." After almost a minute, he said, "You had a crush on Superman?"

"Oh my God, that's all you got out of all of that? Sure I had a crush on Superman. What woman in her right mind wouldn't?"

"But you put it in the past tense."

"Yeah, well, I guess I got over it."

After a few seconds, Clark spoke up, "Lois."

"Yes."

"Don't take this the wrong way."

She swallowed hard, not knowing what to expect. "Okay."

After another pause, Clark said, "You are a very … very … beautiful woman."

Lois had had no idea as to what to expect and had been more than a little apprehensive, but hearing this, Lois started to smile. Thinking about dating, she asked, “The twins called you, coquinos. I know what that means. You dated them while you were in Brazzaville?”

“Yes, I did. They are very nice girls. I like them a lot.”

“Would you like to go back and … and date them again?”

“No, Lois. How would it look if I were married to you and went back to date them?”

“I mean, if we weren’t getting married.”

“But we are and like I said before, I’m a one woman man.”

Hearing that and remembering the kisses they had shared she started to think that the prospect of being married to this man might not be so bad after all. Suddenly, she remembered what had happened earlier in the day and let out an irritated sigh.

Picking up on it, Clark asked, "What's the matter, Lois?"

Embarrassed and afraid to say anything about his family, she said, "Oh, nothing."

"Now, I know that it's something. What is it? What happened?"

Lois was hesitant, "Well …"

"Come on, Lois. You can tell me."

Finally deciding that she would need to tell him, she gave in and in an irritated tone, said, "Your mother …"

Instantly apprehensive, Clark asked, "What about my mother?"

"Do you know why she wanted to take me into town with her?"

"I thought she just wanted to spend some time with you, to get to know you better."

Clark could hear the frustration and irritation in her tone as she launched into a classic Lois Lane babble, "Oh, she did that too, but the main thing was she wanted make all of the arrangements for the wedding. She has her friend at the cleaners rushing a cleaning of the gown, we sampled cake at the local bakery, Maisie is going to cater the reception. She ran into some of your friends, if I remember correctly, it was Pete and that other guy … I think his name is Billy, anyhow they are borrowing chairs from the Grange Hall or somewhere to set up for the ceremony and to top it all off she wanted to show off her soon to be daughter-in-law to all of her friends. I felt like a prize hog in a 4-H contest. I was just waiting for someone to hang a blue ribbon around my neck."

Clark had started laughing as she had babbled. He finally choked out, "You are really starting to identify with us, mid-westerners. How did you know about 4-H?"

"I may be a city girl, but everyone has heard of 4-H and what goes on there."

"I'm sure she meant well."

"There's one thing I'll say for your mother, she's efficient. I don't know anyone else that could have accomplished as much in so short a time as her."

Clark mused to himself, "Just wait until there's a baby on the way."

He thought that he had spoken too softly for her to hear, but she had heard him and the comment concerned and thrilled her. She thought, <He's thinking about children, that means he might not want a divorce. Could it work?> Before she could worry too much about it, she decided to sleep on it, yawned and said, "Good night, Clark."

He smiled and replied, "Good night, Lois."

They both drifted off to sleep with smiles on their faces.

Lois interrupted Herb and said, "It took me a lot longer to get over Superman and it wasn't until then that I saw Clark for who he was, but it was around that same time that I discovered who he really was and then I was just angry. How is he going to tell her?"

"Well, he didn't exactly tell her."

Lois gasped and asked, "She discovered it for herself? Was she mad?"

Herb smiled an enigmatic smile and said, "I'll let you be the judge of that as the story unfolds."

"All right. What happened next?" Lois asked.

The next morning, after a breakfast prepared by Martha, they headed out.

A short time later, they were on the dirt road, near the Irig farm where Lois pulled the Mustang off the road and parked. Before they exited the car, Clark asked, "What exactly is our plan?

Lois, knowing that she was flying by the seat of her pants, as usual, challenged, "You sound like you're one of those people who have to have his whole life worked out ahead of time before he can live it."

"Yeah, I usually do. So, you have a clear plan?"

"Oh, you like to plan, like you planned to ambush me when I came out of the shower yesterday."

Clark reached for her hand and clasped it in his. "You know I didn't do any such thing. That was a happy accident."

"I'm glad you think so."

"What I mean is, that wasn't planned, but I'm happy that it happened, aren't you?"

"Yes, no, I don't know. We are getting married so I guess it would have happened sooner or later. Now, about this, of course, I do have a plan, sort of."

"Okay, let's hear it."

"Oh, harrumph, as soon as I figure it out, I'll let you know."

After they exited the vehicle, Clark led the way to a secluded area where they could see the Irig farm.

When they were finally able to see the farm, in the distance through the foliage, Lois said, "Okay, here's the plan. We know that whatever they say they're doing there is not what they're actually doing. So, we stay here until we see them doing it." Thinking of something Lois frowned, "Maybe we should have brought lunch."

In a very dry tone, Clark said, "Great plan. Look, as I see it, we need to find out who's behind this. We need to spy on them until we know who that is."

Lois turned on him and said, "Yeah, like I said, we spy on them, now if you have a better one, speak up."

Just as Lois finished speaking an individual in a camouflage uniform, his face painted in a camouflage pattern and holding a Colt .45 automatic dropped out of a tree next to them.

Seeing this, Clark rushed the guy, shouting to Lois, "Lois, get out of here!"

A second agent appeared out of the bushes, this one was holding an M-16. Lois attacked him, getting in a kick that almost dislocated his knee.

One more, this one with a Mossberg 12 gauge shotgun with a pistol grip sprang out of the bushes and shouted, "Freeze!" so Lois and Clark stopped moving.

The agent that Clark had been struggling with took the opportunity to vent his anger by punching Clark in the stomach.

Clark was bent over gasping for a few seconds as a result of the blow. When he straightened up he said, wryly, "Well, there goes the picnic."

Under guard by this crew, Lois and Clark were hustled away and into the back of a cargo van. Two of the guards climbed in back with them while the third drove. A few minutes later they stopped and the back doors were pulled open.

As they were climbing out, Lois said to Clark, "Just in case you were wondering, this wasn't in the plan."

The guards started to manhandle them, pushing them in the direction that they wanted them to go.

Clark replied, "I had a hunch."

Lois started shouting, "Who are you guys? Who do you work for? Do you know who we are?"

As the guards stopped shoving them, Lois stopped shouting. When they stopped, they were facing a tent. Suddenly, Trask stepped from the tent. His men were in a mix of uniforms which was another indication of the rogue nature of his organization. Some, like the ones that had captured them, wore the camouflage battle dress uniform while he preferred the olive drab jungle fatigue which dated to the Viet Nam War era. He said, "So many questions and from someone in such a precarious position." He laughed as he spoke.

In startled recognition and remembering how she had just spoken with Clark about the airplane incident the previous night, Lois blurted out, "Trask! What are you doing in Smallville?"

Putting his hands on his hips he replied, "Now, here I was, wondering the same ... thing ... about ... you."

In an irritated tone, Clark replied, "We came here because of the Corn Festival. Then we heard about an EPA cleanup. Our editor thought it could possibly be another Love Canal type story. He thought it could lead to a Pulitzer like the other one did."

Smugly, Trask replied, "You're not here for your environmental virtue any more than I am. You know it and I know it.

The realization of just who they were up against finally hit them and they exchanged looks.

Clark challenged, "What have you done with Wayne Irig?"

Trask, with that malevolent grin said, "Why, I … let him go." He paused to let that sink in before he continued, "Yes, you see, small town ties mean a lot. Any other man would have given up their contact in a minute. But this man, this man took sodium pentothal and a couple of broken fingers and he still wouldn't talk. Then it came to me. Let him go."

Just then Ms. Sherman emerged from the tent behind Trask. Spotting her and nodding in her direction, Lois said, "You're not as clever as you think. I knew she was a fake all along."

Surprised by this remark, Trask asked, "Really? How?"

Lois spat out, "Too competent to work for the government." Lois directed her next question to Ms. Sherman, "How'd you get into this, Sherman?"

Trask moved over directly in front of Lois, so close that Lois could smell his bad breath. His exasperation was showing as he said, "You are really starting to get on my nerves." Then to the guards, "Get her out of my sight, now, please."

Lois glared daggers at him.

Trask started to raise his hand as if to strike Lois. Clark was almost mad with anxiety about Lois's safety and he struggled against his captors.. Struggle though he did, with all of his diminished strength, he was unable to break away, so he shouted, "Leave her alone, Trask. Don't you touch her, or …"

Lowering his hand, Trask asked, "Or what, Mr. Kent? Huh? What will you do?"

By this time the guards were hustling Lois toward the tent and Clark continued to struggle against the ones holding him, but was powerless to break free.

As Lois was being led away she shouted to Sherman, "Did they recruit you? Did you think you were getting into government work?"

Trask shouted at her, "Shut up!"

Ignoring Trask's threats, Lois continued to shout at Sherman, "Instead, you're a thug. Is that what you went to college for? To be a thug?"

Trask, losing his patience completely, gestured at the holding tent and Lois was shoved inside.

As Lois disappeared into the tent, Clark, in anguish, shouted, "Lois!"

Trask stepped closer to Clark and said, "Relax, Mister Kent, my business is with you, not her."

Clark interrupted this time, "I remember, Trask tried to give me the third degree. At the time, without my powers, there wasn't much I could do."

Lois added, "Yeah, they dragged me into that other tent and tied me to a chair. I didn't know what Trask was after, but I knew it wouldn't be good. He had proved that in our first encounter."

In a fatalistic tone, Herb replied, "Trask is the same in almost every universe he appears in. His fear and paranoia overrule his good sense. He was totally fixated on the destruction of Superman. Of course, in hindsight we know that if he had succeeded, most of the human race would have been doomed to destruction when the Nightfall asteroid hit. It was only Superman's presence that prevented that global disaster."

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 10/06/15 11:33 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj