Next Thread
Print Thread
#266450 10/04/15 03:28 PM
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
In case you were wondering, the title of this vignette is a Scottish word meaning "topsy-turvy."

As always, all feedback appreciated.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Ah, thanks for clarifying the title. I figured it had to be something close to that, but it's nice to have the confirmation.

Loved the idea. Poor Clark! At first, I thought maybe this was after the Nightfall asteroid, when Clark loses his memories. But the punchline was so much better! Thanks for the chuckle!

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Very enjoyable as always, Lynn. clap Thank you for the clarification of the title. I figured it was a reference to another sci-fi genre (Dr. Who or Babylon 5) with which I'm not familiar.

How frustrating it must be to not be able to do things everyone else can! This would be an interesting theme to extrapolate on more. How could Clark make his mark on a world being human (so to speak) on a planet of Kryptonian (again, so to speak)? How could he stand out? I could see him being an advocate for others, i.e. the disabled, as they would be considered. Or would he hide away in Kansas, so that nobody would know that he was unable to do what everyone else could?

I hope that Clark wasn't hurt too much when he tried to fly while stopping bullets.

Grammatically, I have a question. Since you're referring to Earth as the proper name of the planet, as opposed to earth = dirt, shouldn't it be capitalized? This is something I come across often in my writing and would like your take as a linguist on this. Thanks.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi DC and Virginia,

Thanks for leaving feedback. smile

DC, I had actually hoped that most people wouldn't understand the title, but that the word might intrigue them to read the story. (If you happen to be from Scotland, or just know Burns' song "Green Grow the Rashes," the title might be too strong a hint of what is to follow.) And your reaction was exactly what I was hoping would happen. I figured that a little misdirection might make the punchline that much more of a surprise.

Virginia, I agree wholeheartedly about him being seen as disabled in this alternate universe, and about the frustrations it would entail -- as much in other people's perceptions (or, at least, his perception of what other people might think) as in his actual challenges trying to fit in.

You ask an interesting question. First, a disclaimer: Linguists generally strive to be descriptivists, not prescriptivists, meaning that the vast majority of linguists have as their goal to describe how people actually use language, not how they ought to do so. So in my next paragraph, I am writing with my linguist hat off and my writer's hat on.

Having said that, I must admit to having erred on that one. You are absolutely correct. Since I was referring to the planet rather than the soil, and since I wasn't using an idiom (e.g., "What on earth?"), I should have capitalized the first letter. I've just made the correction. Thanks for being a sort of BR-after-the-fact.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
Possibly taking logic too far...

I probably shouldn't ask this, but if everyone has superpowers, why on earth is anyone using guns?

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
For the same reason that the bad guys continue to shoot at Superman even when he has become famous, and for the same reason that the crooks in the George Reeves' show would throw their guns at Superman after they had emptied it shooting him with no effect. Superman's street villains tend to be a few slugs short of a fully loaded barrel, so to speak.

Joy,
Lynn

p.s., Good question.

LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Awesome--I loved how you switched this universe around clap.

Clark, the only one without powers...everyone else flying around, able to do everything 'super'. How interesting would that be?! And knowing how special Clark is--how he can't help but want to help, how he tends to think through everything beforehand--this type of a situation, I think, would be so completely frustrating to him (as Virginia pointed out).

I was quite intrigued by the title and appreciated having it defined in the FDK. Fits perfectly smile.

Great job, Lynn hyper
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 10/07/15 01:19 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Laura,

Thanks so much for leaving feedback. I agree, Clark would be extremely frustrated not to be able to help out. I purposely left a lot to the reader's imagination in this story. One thing that was not mentioned was whether everyone was born this way or whether something happened to remove Clark's powers while granting them to everyone else (among other possibilities). If this world had been like canon at one point, and if he went from being Superman to being the only un-super person, how much harder still would that have been for him. That could make for a fascinating story itself, but I don't want to immerse myself mentally in such a world long enough to write that story. (If someone else wrote it, though, I might well read it.)

I'm glad you liked the title. Naming a piece with a word which I would guess to be new to most readers was a bit of a risk, but one I thought was worth taking in this instance.

Joy,
Lynn

Kerth
Kerth
I did this once with a multi-chapter Buffy/Star Trek crossover that had a single-word title, Omphalos, which (if you looked it up and realise which context I was using) gave away major plot points - and didn't explain it for several chapters. I don't think anyone looked it up...

If you don't want to read the story,
the Omphalos hypothesis was a 19th century idea that the universe was created recently but deliberately made to look old, e.g. by creating fossils and other evidence of a history millions of years old. It's inherently unproveable. In the story "recently" turns out to be at the moment the story begins, with some interesting consequences in a setting that has faster than light travel...

Marcus L. Rowland
Forgotten Futures, The Scientific Romance Role Playing Game
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I liked the story, though it's a bit sad that Clark doesn't have powers. Still, it got me thinkng....

Assuming there is a Lex Luthor in this world, he might be after Clark because if he could find the key to "powerlessness" then he might be able to inflict it on the crimefighting agents of his choice.

Intergang might be after Clark for the same reason, but they would target whole cities that refuse to fall under their dominion.

Also, every time a manned spaceship is launched the occupants receive massive doses of solar energy and become dangerously overpowered. The government and S.T.A.R. labs want to study Clark to develop a way to moderate powers to enable space travel.

Shallowford
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Hi Shallowford,

I like your analysis. It appears that even in this universe, Clark has to keep his secret lest he be dissected like a frog... Only here, anybody could succeed at doing that, even without kryptonite. (Hmmm... I wonder whether kryptonite in this universe would temporarily grant Clark powers?)

Joy,
Lynn

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi Lynn!

"How could this happen? He seemed so sane. What could make him think all of a sudden that he can fly or stop bullets?"
Oh boy. Amnesia?

All those years being different, having to hide it.
confused

"Yeah, I guess you're right. It must be hard to be the only one on Earth without powers."
shock Revearth?

The two silently contemplated their friend's situation as they flew through the open window and back to the Daily Planet.
laugh They’re on Revearth! clap Only, why do crooks use bullets on Revearth? And is he on the ICU or in an asylum?

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
L
Pulitzer
OP Offline
Pulitzer
L
Only, why do crooks use bullets on Revearth?

Good question. I gave Marcus a facetious answer to it up above. The serious answer is that this is what is known, in technical parlance, as an "oopsie."

I've tweaked the story for the archive so that no guns are involved. (The relevant lines became, "How could this happen? He seemed so sane. What could make him think all of a sudden that he can fly or start fires with his eyes?")

I purposely left the location ambiguous, since I wanted to let the reader, early on, have the possibility of thinking that this was an ASU spinoff. I was envisioning it as a medical wing in a mental hospital.

Joy,
Lynn

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The serious answer is that this is what is known, in technical parlance, as an "oopsie."
laugh clap

I've tweaked the story for the archive so that no guns are involved. (The relevant lines became, "How could this happen? He seemed so sane. What could make him think all of a sudden that he can fly or start fires with his eyes?")
Liking the new one!

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard