The Matchmaker Files - An Unusual Proposal

Rated PG-13

G - Story - TOC

* emphasis*
<thoughts>

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * time passed – scene change

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ * scene change – universe change

Previously

In the command tent on the Irig farm, Trask took the field phone from Wayne's hand and dropped it onto its pouch as a telephone operator hit a switch on a field switchboard to kill the connection.

The guards that had been standing around started to relax.

Trask then took the index cards which he had used to write out the script that Wayne had followed. He was irritated that Wayne had started to improvise, but then there hadn't been much choice. Trask hadn't anticipated every possible question. He actually thought that the Winnebago was a nice touch.

In a questioning tone, Clark said, "Salt Lake City?"

"That's where he said he was calling from. He couldn't wait to get off the line, could he?"

Shaking his head, Clark said, "Wayne's never been much of a talker."

Thoughtfully, Lois said, "He said he was calling from Salt Lake City, but he could have been … anywhere."

Picking up on where Lois was taking this train of thought, he suggested, "You mean like here in Smallville." Looking at Lois he asked, "What did he say to you?"

"He said that he had just decided to visit his sister, hopped into his Winnebago and started driving."

With a shocked expression, Clark said, "I think you're right and he was giving us a clue."

"Huh, what do you mean?"

"Wayne doesn't own a Winnebago."

With a nod of dawning understanding, Lois said, "It sure looks like it is possible." Looking out the window and across the street at the Corn Festival activities, Lois said, "I'd suggest that we go mingle, but I'd like one of Maisie's burgers and a chocolate shake first. Real ice cream, yum."

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ *

Clark commented, "That was different, Wayne never dropped a clue like that to us. In our universe, Wayne had a Winnebago so that wouldn't have worked. Wayne is a tough old farmer. I think Trask has met his match. Wayne can out last him."

Lois commented, “So far it’s a lot like what happened to us.”

Herb replied, “I believe that when the events of the two universes parallel the similarities will outweigh the differences. In this case even though the source of the encounter was from a different cause the events that followed were strikingly similar.”

And now

Chapter 12

As soon as they left Maisie's Diner they could hear the music from the gazebo and followed that as they crossed the street to the square. Stepping onto the square they found themselves on the outskirts of a crowd cheering on an athletic competition. Lois shouted to make herself heard over the cheering crowd, "What's going on? Is it a prize fight?"

Clark shook his head and placing his lips near her ear so that she could hear him, he said, "No, this is a husk-off."

Pulling away, she gave him a mystified look.

He moved close again and said, "Teams try to see who can shuck the most ears in a minute!"

Again she moved away. This time she shouted, "This is a team sport?"

Clark nodded his head enthusiastically.

Lois just rolled her eyes in response.

When they left the area of the competition they saw Clark's mom and dad. Lois and Clark moved over to join them. Lois said, "Look, Clark, you still look like your allergies are bothering you. Why don't you sit a while with your parents and I'll mingle." Without waiting for him to answer, Lois moved off, notebook in hand.

After he joined them, they found a picnic table that was unoccupied and sat down. They were all watching Lois as she moved off and started talking to people, Jonathan said, "That girl never stops working, does she?" Then he turned to Clark and lowered his voice. "About that rock, maybe those Feds'll look for a while up at Irig's and when they can't find it, just give up. Then she'll give up on the story."

"I doubt it, Dad. We just spoke with Wayne. Dad, he lied to us, but I think he did it deliberately. We think he's in trouble."

Jonathan was shocked, “What kind of trouble?”

“There’s no way to tell. He cut the conversation short. He tried to tell us he was in Salt Lake City, but we don’t believe it.”

“Salt Lake City? I don’t think so. He wouldn’t have had enough time to cover the distance.”

“We didn’t think so either especially in a non-existent Winnebago.”

Hearing this, Martha was even more concerned about Clark's physical state because she knew that his powers might be needed. She said, "If you’re going into a dangerous situation, we've got to get you to a doctor, that's all there is to it."

Clark replied, "Mom, what's a doctor going to do? I'm fine now. Fine ... but I'm normal."

Martha rebutted, "Normal for Earth."

Clark replied, "But this is Earth. Normal could be good." Looking around, Clark realized that he had lost sight of Lois. He didn't think it would be a big deal, after all what could happen here in town, but that didn't keep him from worrying about her.

Jonathan added his two cents, "I think you're both jumping the gun. You can't go all your life with powers and then, poof, they just disappear."

Clark replied, "Well, It's happened, Dad." Looking around he spotted a test of strength attraction. "Come on, I'll show you."

As they approached, a girl was just accepting a pink Teddy Bear from the barker which her date had won for her.

The barker shouted, "Ring the bell and win a prize!"

Clark stepped up to the device and, in return for a ticket, the barker handed him a wooden sledge hammer.

Looking at the test of strength he saw that the bottom level read 'Wimp' and then scaled up to the top which, if you rang the bell it use to call you 'Top Dog', but that had been crossed out and it now declared you to be a 'Superman'.

Clark said over his shoulder to his mom and dad, "Here goes!" Clark gave a lusty swing and a grunt the hammer came crashing down on the lever, but the weight only rose to the level of 'Better Luck Next Time'.

The barker asked, "Want to give it another shot?"

With a dispirited air, shaking his head, Clark handed the hammer back to the barker and said, "No thanks. That was enough humiliation for one day."

Martha and Jonathan watched this display with obvious concern and then they exchanged worried looks.

Just then, Lois walked up and trying to be sympathetic she said, "Don't worry about it. Maybe you should try corn husking instead."

Much later, toward evening, Lois was eating a caramel apple as they wandered around a bit talking of the investigation that they found themselves in. Finally they were approaching the test of strength booth that Clark had failed at so miserably earlier in the day.

With a look of pure orneriness, Lois said, "Okay, Clark, let's make this a day to remember," and pulling out a ticket, she handed it to the barker. Lois said, "Here you go, sir," as she handed him the ticket. In return the barker handed the hammer to Clark.

Clark looked at Lois and then at the hammer and said, "Oh, no! You know I didn't do well with this earlier."

Lois was strongly convinced that things would turn out differently this time; in fact she was sure of it so she encouraged him, "Come on, Clark. It's only a ticket. What do you have to lose? Give it a shot."

Her encouragement helped him overcome his fears and he hefted the hammer. It was still something of a struggle for him to wield it. The result however was encouraging. As they watched, the weight climbed to 'Better Luck Next Time' and kept going, pausing at the 'Hercules' level before falling back down. The realization that he had spent most of the day in the sun hit him and encouraged him.

Lois was clapping enthusiastically at his performance and with that encouragement he pulled another ticket from his back pocket and as he handed it to the barker asked, "Can I try that again?"

He took a good wind-up and whacked the pedal a good stroke. The weight passed 'Hercules' and reduced the distance between that and 'Superman' by half.

Lois pulled out another ticket and as she was handing it to the barker and in a upbeat tone said, "Okay, that was very close. One more," and she handed the barker another ticket.

A swing and a grunt and this time the weight traveled the distance and with a loud ‘clang' rang the bell! Clark was surprised and pleased. <My strength must be returning.> Dropping the hammer, he threw his arms up in victory.

When the bell rang, Lois squealed in delight and jumping up and down, clapped her hands. She shouted, "You did it! I knew you could do it!” Pointing at the top of the bar she declared, “You’re my Superman!"

The next thing that happened was an even bigger surprise to Clark. The barker picked up two toys, a Superman doll and a black and white Teddy Bear with a red ribbon around his neck. He said, "You get your choice."

Clark was chagrined at the choices she was being offered and deep down in his gut he was sure he knew what her choice would be. Her infatuation with his alter ego made the choice almost inevitable. Her hesitation as she looked back and forth, weighing the options made him even more certain of the eventual outcome, but to his total surprise, as she reached for and took the bear she said, "I already have my Superman. I'll take the bear."

Clark smiled at her statement. Things were looking up. Just maybe this marriage won’t be as short as she had planned.

They had gone back to the farm after that. Clark had driven while Lois played with her black and white teddy bear. Martha and Jonathan were already there. Lois was still cuddling her bear as they walked in.

Spotting the bear, Martha asked, “Did Clark win that for you?”

Lois was smiling as she wrapped her free arm around Clark’s and leaning her head on his shoulder, gushed, "Yes! He rang the bell. My Superman."

A relieved look came over the faces of both Martha and Jonathan as they realized what that meant – Clark’s powers must be returning.

Lois yawned and pulling on Clark’s arm said, "Well, it's been a big day. I think we'll head off to bed. Come on, Clark, bedtime," and started dragging him toward the stairs.

"Right, Lois. I'm with you. Goodnight, Mom and Dad."

"Goodnight, Son … and Lois."

"Goodnight." Lois said over her shoulder.

This time, the last thing she did before settling in bed was to place her new teddy bear on a dresser. Then she moved to the bed and as Clark was settling himself on the floor, her mood was different. She started talking. "You know, there are a lot of things that your binder didn't cover."

"Oh, like what?"

"Well, for one thing, did you know that I love ‘The Ivory Tower'? It’s my favorite program.”

“Actually, I didn’t know that.”

“See? My favorite ice cream is chocolate, chocolate chip."

He interrupted her and said, "That one I knew. If you recall, I made sure I had that handy when you were over at my place for late night story meetings. And your favorite soda is cream soda. I still have a six pack of those in my ‘fridge."

After a few seconds, Lois changed the topic, "Clark, who do you think is behind this?"

"I don't know, but I’m pretty well convinced that it isn’t the EPA. I think we need to call Perry in the morning. See what he wants us to do."

"I guess you're right. You know, this actually feels good."

"Yeah, that is a comfy bed."

"No. not the bed, I mean, working together again, investigating. I've missed it." She said in a wistful tone.

In a heartfelt tone, he replied, "So have I, Lois, so have I."

After a few seconds of quiet contemplation, Lois said, softly, "Goodnight, Clark," and reached to douse the light.

"Goodnight, Lois."

As if the dousing of the light had been a signal, a few seconds later they were both on their feet. Lois shouted, “What’s that racket?”

Out in the yard, directly under the window of Clark's room stood Pete Ross, Billy Eck, Rachel, Lana and a number of Clark's friends from school. They were banging pots and clapping pan lids together like cymbals and doing whatever they could to make noise. It didn't quiet until the young couple appeared at the window. They had all been able to sneak up on them because Clark had not regained his powers. Throwing up the sash they both stuck their heads and shoulders out of the window and looked down on the crowd.

Lois had been so startled that she had forgotten what she was wearing and when they showed themselves it was very evident that she was wearing a night gown, a sheer night gown. A cheer went up and then the chant of ‘Kiss her. Kiss her. Kiss her,' started and it didn't stop until Clark had kissed Lois again. This time, Lois was less reluctant, actually she enjoyed participating and there was no thought given to what she was wearing. Fortunately, in the dark from below it was hard to see more than two forms in the window or else Lois would have been mortified at her state of undress.

To a chorus of laughter and clapping the crowd broke up and headed for their various homes and Lois and Clark retreated back into his room.

Clark still had her in his arms as Lois said, "I've heard of the Charivari, but I thought that custom had died out long ago." She had used the French pronunciation.

"Really it did. Occasionally folks will get together and do a Chivaree, usually it's just close friends and it is done to display their pleasure. My friends were just showing how pleased they are that I'm getting married."

Reluctantly, Clark released Lois and after closing the window again they returned to their respective beds.

As she was lying down, Lois said, “You have a lot of nice friends.” Her conscience was starting to bother her and she asked, “Clark?”

“Yes, Lois.”

“Am I messing up your relationships with Rachel … or … Lana? And what about Mayson?”

“No, Lois, you aren’t messing up my relationships. Lana and I had a relationship long ago, but that ended when she said no. Rachel and I dated some, but we really didn’t have a ‘relationship. Mayson is just a girl I know. I think she likes me, but I’ve never dated her.”

“Do you think you would have a chance with Mayson? If not for me that is?”

“I never really thought about it. She’s nice, but … I don’t know.”

“If I wasn’t in the picture … if we weren’t getting married, do you think you’d want to date her? Maybe marry her?”

“Lois, you and I are getting married. That means that I don’t think of other women. I don’t speculate about what it would be like if I married one of them.” He thought for a second and then said, “Add this to the binder – I’m a one woman man. When we are married you will have no fear of my wandering. I’ll be totally devoted to you.”

Lois was silent as she contemplated his statements. Did she really want that? That attitude would make it that much harder when it came time for the divorce. With a sigh, she rolled on her side and closed her eyes.

The next morning they were a little late getting up so Martha made up a tray of coffee and cinnamon rolls and took it up to Lois and Clark.

Not wanting to interrupt anything, she first knocked on the door and announced, with a giggle, "Room service," as a little joke.

Clark didn't even stir, but Lois woke up. She hissed, "Clark." When he didn't move, she repeated it, "Clark!" When he still didn't move she took a pillow and threw it at him.

He started up at the impact and Lois hissed, "Your mother is at the door. Get up here."

He scrambled up and picking up the pillows and blankets joined Lois in the bed.

She was startled by his physical response to being in bed with her and hissed, "Clark!"

He shifted position slightly and said, "Sorry."

They arranged themselves in bed, cuddling and Lois called, "Okay."

Martha came in and placed the tray on a side table. She said, "I didn't want to disturb you, but it was getting late. Jonathan is already doing his chores. I thought you guys would like something to eat."

Lois made a stretch and said, "That's so thoughtful of you. Thank you."

Martha hesitated and then said, "Lois, Jonathan and I have been thinking, your family is all in Canada and you said that it was going to be difficult for them to attend the wedding. We thought that it might be a good idea if …” She paused a second as if preparing for a rebuff, before she continued in a rush, “if the two of you got married here, in Smallville. That way all of Clark's friends could attend."

Lois looked at Clark to give herself time to think and then said, "We're in the middle of this investigation."

"We know. We could hold the ceremony here, after you finish or if it’s going to drag on, then before it is finished. You could surely take a little time off from the investigation to have a wedding. Then you could finish it as a married couple. A lot of Clark's friends came back for the Corn Festival so if we held it, say, tomorrow or the day after, they would be able to be there."

Lois demurred, "This is all so sudden. We can’t predict how long the investigation will take."

Martha said, "You're getting married anyway, so why not here, among friends?"

Lois caved, "Okay. Sounds good. As soon as this investigation is over, or sooner if need be. I’m sure Clark would want all of his friends there."

Smiling, Martha started rambling, "I think that Sunday would be perfect. That is Jonathan’s and my anniversary. We can share. We'll take care of everything. We won't need invitations. We'll just spread the word. This time of the year the weather can be unpredictable. That’s kind of short notice to reserve the church, so to be on the safe side we can hold it in the barn, we haven’t had any livestock for years. Jonathan only uses it for the tractor, so there is plenty of room for lots of chairs in there. After the ceremony it would only take a few minutes to set up the tables.” She gave Lois a close perusal and said, “We are almost the same size so I'd like you to try on my wedding gown. Something borrowed, you know." As she started backing to the door, she said, "I'm so excited. This is going to be fun."

Forgetting that she was in her shortie nightie, once the door was closed, Lois got up and moved to the table. She poured the coffee and picked up the plate of cinnamon rolls. As she carried it over to Clark, she said, "I need to learn to serve my husband." Smelling the rolls, she said, "I'm going to have to learn to cook. I don't want my man leaving me for a woman that can cook." <What am I saying? I'm acting like this is going to be permanent or something. This is strictly temporary.> Just then she noticed how Clark was looking at her and remembered her attire and started to blush and feel self-conscious. The temptation was to just drop what she was holding and cover herself, then the thought intruded that she actually liked the way Clark was looking at her, he wasn’t leering at her in a lustful way. He was actually looking at her in a respectful way and he had been right, he did need to know what she wore to bed.

As he accepted the coffee and plate, he said, "I haven't left you yet, Lois."

Once Clark had taken the items, Lois was distracted as she thought about what was about to happen and became overwhelmed. Ignoring the coffee and rolls, she grabbed her clothes and headed to the bathroom to dress. Clark asked, "Where are you going?"

"I need to get dressed so that we can get this investigation done."

As he took a bite of a cinnamon roll, he mumbled around his mouthfull, "Okay, I'll join you shortly."

As she left for the bathroom, she replied, "Okay."

Before they had a chance to leave, Martha had Lois try on her gown. It would not need any hemming, because Martha had been a little more petite than Lois. It was a rather old fashioned style and Lois wasn't that taken with it. It was also a little tight across the bust and Lois felt squashed. Martha spotted the problem and said, "Oh, seems a little tight. It looks like I'll need to let it out some." Martha was thinking, <I wish it had been made of spandex like Clark's suit, then there wouldn't have been a problem.>

Lois put on a smart looking business suit for the investigation and when they came downstairs, she and Clark called Perry.

"Hi, Perry, Lois and Clark. We hope you aren't too disappointed, being back in the editor's office."

"Not at all. You know, I was starting to regret the decision to move upstairs. Maybe this little time back here will cure me of that."

"The reason we are calling, we're investigating something out here.”

“Oh, what are you working on?”

“It looks like there is someone out here impersonating the EPA. They’re looking for something, but it isn’t pesticides.

“Okay, what can I do for you?”

“We may need some help. Could you send us a photographer?"

"I'll send one out right away. He probably won't get there until tomorrow."

"That'll be fine, Perry. We'll look for him. Here's the directions …" Clark dictated the directions while Perry took them down.

Clark commented, "Looks like we have the day off. The photographer probably won't be here until tomorrow."

Hearing that, Martha approached Lois and Clark. She said, "Since you guys have the day off, Clark, your father could use some help around the farm today. Would you mind if I took Lois with me? I have some things to do in town and I'd like to take her along."

Lois tried to demur, saying, "But we're working this investigation. I need to work on some things."

Clark pulled her into an embrace and whispered in her ear, "You need to go with her. How would it look for you to refuse to go with your future mother-in-law on an outing, besides, I'm sure she has something special planned or else she wouldn't ask." As he was saying this he was stroking her back with his hands. To make it look good, he allowed his hands to drift down and then he patted her derriere.

She gave a surprised squeak, and said, "None of that. We're not married yet." Turning to Martha, Lois said, "Just let me change and I'll be right with you."

Once Lois had changed into slacks and a top, she and Martha drove off in the truck.

Clark watched them drive off and then joined his dad in the field.

Once they were together, Jonathan asked, "Okay, Clark, what's the story."

"What story Dad?"

"You and Lois. This was rather sudden, wasn't it?"

"Yeah, it is Dad. They were threatening to deport her."

"Why?"

"Because she went out of the country on a story. The story that introduced her to the twins who told her about my gecko story which she remembered when she heard Perry read it and she showed Perry the rebel stories which got me the job, so you see, if she hadn't gone on that story she wouldn't have met the twins and heard about the geckos and I wouldn't have the job. I owe her."

Jonathan was convinced that there was more to it, so he asked, "And?"

Clark sighed and then, reluctantly admitted, "And … I love her. I have from the start."

Putting an arm across Clark's shoulders, Jonathan said, "That's all I needed to hear. Come on, Son, let's go mend some fence."

The Corn Festival was still going on, but they ignored it as Martha took Lois around to the main shops in Smallville and introduced her to the proprietors, who were all long time friends. Martha's main objective seemed to be showing off her soon to be daughter-in-law. She had Lois help while she made some purchases and arrangements for the wedding. It was unusually hot and Lois found that she was sweating by the time they were finishing up.

They loaded up the bed of the pickup with their bags and headed back to the farm.

When they got there, Lois got out of the truck and was surprised when Martha didn't. "Aren't you coming in?"

Shaking her head, Martha said, "No, I have to run over to the Lang place. Some of the things I picked up are for them."

Lois looked at her sweat-stained shirt and said, "I think I'll take a shower and change. We may be going out tonight to snoop around."

"Okay, Lois. I'll be back in a while." Throwing the truck in gear, Martha drove off while Lois made her way back inside.

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ *

Lois interrupted the story again, "That's what I always liked about Jonathan and Martha, they are so accepting. If it's going to make Clark happy, they're all for it. I'm glad that they accepted me, especially after that trip. I really put Clark through a ringer what with my involvement with Luthor, my infatuation with Superman. It wasn't until I had Clark's powers for a while that I really got to know what it is like to be him."

"Mom created your costume and supported us both through that time."

"Is this Lois going to have to go through that? I mean, that happened before we were married. Will it still happen to them once they are married? Are they really going to be married? It is starting to sound like she is having some second thoughts."

Herb replied, "The timing of events between the universes, with a certain amount of deviation occurred, most of the time in almost the same way. This incident occurred early on in their relationship. As I said, there is another universe where I had to give the Lois of that universe some memories of their future married life."

"You've mentioned that before, Herb. Why did you need to do that?"

"In that particular universe, Sheriff Harris wouldn't be arriving at the Kent farm in time to rescue Clark from Trask. I gave Lois those memories so that she would be motivated to step in and be his rescuer. In the confrontation with Trask, she, accidentally mind you, killed Trask. He fell on a pitchfork when she delivered a karate kick defending Clark."

Shocked, Clark blurted out, "Oh, no. How horrible for her to have that on her conscience."

Herb smiled and said, "She was able to get over it quickly because she was more worried about Clark, he was wounded and she was relieved that Trask would no longer be bothering them." (See Green, Green Glow of Home - Matchmaker Style)

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 10/02/15 11:14 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj