Print Thread
#266329 09/27/15 09:06 AM
N
Features Writer
OP Offline
Features Writer
N
Feedback folder.

I've never been a big fan of this episode. It had its redeeming features (Lois pretty much admitting to Clark that she's attracted to him, and her telling Superman that she'd do anything for Clark come to mind) but I really dislike the way Clark treats Corbin.

On a happy note, yay for having my internet connection back.

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Yes, this was another one of those grey areas for Clark that I'm sure for which he'll do many a night patrol in penance. While Johnny Corban was a man, Metello was a monster, whose mere existence was deadly to Superman. However, was Metello any more an of a menace than if someone had gotten Clark's powers and used those powers for self-gain? Did Clark given up on Corban's redemptive ability too soon or did he see him as a lost cause? One could even argue Wiliam WW Walldecker / Resplendent Man used his new powers unwisely. Did the Vale brothers kill Corban or did Superman when he disabled him? Did he think that what he was doing was more humane than allowing the Vale brothers to use Metello as their own personal Frankenstein? Yes, these issues certainly would bother Clark. He doesn't like to have to make life and death choices, because he believes that power should only belong to a higher power. Seeing Lucy's anguish over losing her boyfriend (despite him being a lousy boyfriend at that) I'm sure will pain Clark's gut for a long while to come.

Also, not one of my favorite episodes, but you got right to the heart of the matter in your story. thumbsup

Last edited by VirginiaR; 09/28/15 11:18 AM. Reason: fixed typo

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I don't know. I don't see Clark as responsible, in any way, for Corben's death. He rendered him helpless, yes, but it was in no way different than restraining any other criminal. He's not the one who pulled the power source on Corben - he's no more responsibly for Corben's death than if he'd been a regular guy who'd been restrained and killed by a random drive-by shooter.

Still, he's Clark, so it would bother him and of course he'd blame himself. Especially after seeing Lucy's pain.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

Kerth
Kerth
Yeah, Metallo's not one of my favorite episodes either. You did a good job with the material you had. wink I agree with DC...I don't see Clark as responsible for Corben's death, though he would feel terrible for Lucy's grief. I love L&C, but with this character, Smallville did a much better job.

You can find my stories as Groobie on the nfic archives and Susan Young on the gfic archives. In other words, you know me as Groobie. wink
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
Another great story in your series, Feli smile...

I haven't seen Metallo forever (really, I haven't seen many L&C episodes for awhile--I've been much too consumed with fanfic wink ), but overall, yeah, Metallo certainly isn't on my list of Favorite Episodes.

I haven't really ever thought too much on Corbin's death--regarding how much Superman would be to blame. I think, basically, that had to do with how much I disliked Johnny...his personality, how he treated Lucy. Knowing Clark though, I can pretty much bet that he felt guilty for having any association with a situation that hurt Lois' sister. Overall, Corbin's death, IMO, (concerning responsibility) is sorta a gray area. Yes, Superman played some part in taking him down, but who/what was he taking down by that point? And at what point did Johnny really die?

Superman HAD to do something...I can understand and totally accept what he did, and that he did it for the right reasons. Now if only Clark could get 'there' wink.

Great job!
Laura

Last edited by LMA; 09/28/15 03:57 PM.

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Hi NostalgiaKick! I’ve noticed your First Sigh series on the boards, let’s see what it’s about smile

A man died in Metropolis today.

That's nothing unusual; after all, people die everyday.

The difference is that this time it was my fault.
Oh boy. It’s not like Superman removed the power source.

It could be argued that he wasn't even human; I doubt that the courts have any sort of ruling about the legal status of cyborgs.
Yeah, I guess they’d be equally stressed about an alien, even if it looks human.
TRASK: I would like to do some more research on it!

What makes it worse was the way in which I did it. I didn't even think twice about it; I spent more time thinking about the smart-ass quip I directed at his creators. I was callous, and cruel.
Yes, he wasn’t very nice. But I guess the audience *was* pleased.
LOIS: He killed my sister’s boyfriend! That poor guy was almost my brother-in-law. Oh, look, is that Call-Me-Daniel over there? hyper

This... This is different. This was my fault. And nothing is ever going to change that.
[Linked Image] : [Linked Image]

Interesting introspection. I think I’ve remarked about Corbin myself one time or another. Or at least, thought about that one.

wave Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
J
Merriwether
Merriwether
J
I never liked the way Clark dealt with Corbin. I feel like you were spot on with how he would have/should have felt, had he been in character.

Superman: I hear you've been looking for me.
Lois: All my life.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard