The Matchmaker Files - An Unusual Proposal

Rated PG-13

G - Story - TOC

* emphasis*
<thoughts>

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * time passed – scene change

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ * scene change – universe change

Previously

Once they were upstairs, Clark grabbed a pair of sweats and a T-shirt and disappeared into the bathroom to change.

When he came out, Lois gave him an appreciative appraisal. The musculature of his arms and torso struck her, again. She remembered back to when she had gone to pick him up at the Apollo Hotel when they were on the Space Station Investigation. All he had been wearing was a towel wrapped around his hips and his glasses. She fought the urge to put her hands on him.

When they were in the room with the door closed, she said, "You take the bed." She took a couple of pillows off the bed along with some blankets and laid them on the floor.

Gently, Clark stopped her and said, "No. You take the bed." He moved over and stretched out on the blankets on the floor.

Lois said, "Well, okay. If you insist."

"I insist. Go to bed." He was thinking, <With my powers gone, at least I don't have to worry about floating in my sleep.>

She started to open the robe, but before she did, she said, "Close your eyes."

The light was dim, but there was a night light.

Clark said, "Okay." He decided that he would cheat and keep his eyes open.

Lois checked, "You're sure their closed?"

"Yep."

She opened the robe to reveal a shorty nightie in pastel blue. It was filmy and mostly transparent.

Clark gasped and said, "That's the nightie you chose to bring to Smallville?"

As she quickly climbed onto the bed and pulled a blanket up to cover herself, she said, "I was going to be in a hotel room, by myself, remember? Besides, you weren't supposed to be looking."

In his own defense, Clark said, "I think I really need to know what you wear and what you look like if we are going to pass Mr. Ramsbottom's tests."

Thoughtfully, Lois asked, "Assuming we pass his tests, how soon should we get married?"

"We probably shouldn't wait too long."

There was a tone of disappointment in her voice as she said, "Yeah, I guess the sooner we are married, the sooner we can divorce."

"I think that we might have to spend a little time here checking on some things, before we can head back to Metropolis."

You can promote a reporter out of reporting, but you can never take the reporter out of the person, Lois's interest was piqued, "What kind of things?"

"My dad told me that there are some federal types tearing up a neighbor's farm. He's convinced that they are lying about the reason. They say it's because of pesticides, but he knows that Wayne never used any."

"What could they be looking for?"

"He's not sure, but the whole setup looks fishy. He asked if we could check it out."

"Look, we didn't come here to investigate anything. We came here to announce our engagement. We've done that. We could probably go home tomorrow."

"You can go back, but I'm staying here. It may be nothing, but if it is something, I need to know what it is."

"Oh, okay, if you insist, we'll stay and investigate."

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ *

Lois interrupted Herb again, "I feel sorry for that Clark. At least my Clark got to sleep on that comfy sofa."

"Someday I'll tell you about another couple. I had to give her some of her future memories, memories of their married life. Because of those memories, she was used to sleeping with Clark. She actually had her Clark join her in bed because she couldn't sleep without him being there." (See Green, Green Glow of Home - Matchmaker Style)

Clark added, "At least there was no chance of him floating in his sleep and giving away The Secret."

Herb pointed out, "Ah, but now they knew that something was happening over on the Irig farm. I have to admit, I was curious as to just how different this universe was from yours so I delved deeper into what happened. I didn't just follow Lois and Clark. I'll try to give you the entire picture."

And now

Chapter 10

In the morning, Martha and Jonathan tip-toed down the stairs so as not to disturb Lois and Clark. They moved into the kitchen and Martha put on the coffee.

They had discussed the revelation of the previous evening after they had gone upstairs to bed. The decision that they had reached was that the situation was unusual, but they had confidence in Clark and even if they didn't completely understand what was happening they would support him. They were determined to take it all in stride and hope that Clark would explain at the right time.

Even before Jonathan had a chance to start his morning chores, Clark came downstairs, by himself. As he entered the kitchen, he saw his father still at the table. Martha smiled and asked, brightly, "Where's Lois?"

Clark's hair was mussed. Nonchalantly he replied, "Oh, she'll be down shortly. She's getting dressed." What he didn’t say was that she had kicked him out of the bedroom so that she could dress in private.

Jonathan handed him a cup of coffee and indicated that Clark should sit at the table. Clark started spooning sugar into the coffee as Jonathan received a second cup from Martha as she moved to the table with her cup in her other hand.

Once they were all seated, Jonathan asked, "What are your intentions with her Clark? This announcement you made last night, is that for real? Why haven't you said anything before now?"

Clark thought as he was pouring cream into his coffee before he answered his father's question, "I want to marry her, Dad. It's a weird situation that we are in, but that doesn't change how I feel. I've known for a while that I wanted to marry her. Things just … snowballed … suddenly."

Smiling, Martha reached into her apron pocket and produced a little paper wrapped packet which she placed on the table in front of Clark. She said, "I think the time has finally come. I believe that you can use this."

Clark opened the paper to reveal an antique engagement and wedding ring set.

Martha explained, "After your announcement last night, I knew that something had changed and you'd need it. I've been saving that for you for a long time. It was your Grandma Clark's ring. It was her grandmother’s before her. It’s been in the family for almost a hundred years and I'm sure she'd want you to have it."

Clark looked at it closely and with appreciation he said, "Thanks, Mom. I'm sure she'll love it." Hearing Lois coming down the stairs, Clark quickly wrapped the ring up and stuffed it into his pocket.

A few seconds later Lois came downstairs wearing a pair of brown slacks, a beige top and the jacket from the suit she had worn the day before. The brown complimented her hair color. As Lois came through the door, she took in the tableau, a close loving family at the table and it brought a tear to her eye. It was so sharp a contrast from what she'd had growing up because of her parent’s divorce. This was something that she really hadn't realized that she missed until she saw it being modeled in front of her and she wished, with all of her heart that someday, this would be what her family would be like, but she didn't hold much hope of that because she was convinced that her own marriage would turn out like her parent’s. She smiled weakly at Clark and noting that he was still in sweats and a T-shirt said, "Don't you think you should get dressed, partner. We've got a big day ahead of us."

Clark stood and said, "You're right. I'll be right back," as he headed for the stairs.

As he was exiting, Martha asked, "Lois, did you sleep well? Would you like some coffee?" She hesitated for a second and added, "It isn't one of those fancy lattes or anything, just plain, old, home brewed coffee."

Lois smiled and said, "Martha, you're a life saver. Yes, I slept well, especially once Clark’s allergies settled down, and yes, I'd love some coffee. Thank you."

From her statement, Jonathan deduced that Lois, in fact did not know about Clark’s secret so he asked, "So, what do you and Clark have planned for today?"

After Lois took an appreciative sip of the coffee and let out a sigh of pleasure, she replied, "We're planning on checking that other farm."

Jonathan’s interest was piqued and he asked, "Wayne Irig's place?"

Lois took another swallow of her coffee and nodding said, "Yeah, that's the one.

Martha had finished her coffee and gone back to the stove to finish the breakfast preparations and when Clark came back downstairs she was placing it on the table.

Lois had never been one to have a big breakfast, but with it all laid out before her, she indulged. They were in something of a hurry, so she kept it rather simple with bacon, eggs, toast and more coffee.

After the breakfast, Lois and Clark were out the door to pursue the investigation. Clark was still concerned. He wasn't so weak that a kitten could bowl him over, but he was not his normal self, at least what was normal for him and that concerned him. What would he do if Lois, as usual, didn't check the water level and got herself in over her head? In his current condition, there was no way he would be able to rescue her and that really concerned him. He was happy that she insisted on driving and that she liked having the convertible top down. It gave him a chance to bask in the sunshine, though, this early in the morning it wasn't nearly strong enough for his liking. Since the Irig farm was so close to the Kent farm the trip between the two was relatively short.

By the time the Mustang drove up to the barricade it was mid morning. On the other side of the barricade they could see various pieces of large earthmoving equipment and workers walking around wearing what looked, to the uneducated eye, like space suits.

One of the individuals in a protective suit, upon seeing them pull up, entered one of the tents that had been set up. Seconds later an attractive African-American woman came out of the tent and approached the barricade.

In typical Mad Dog Lane fashion, as soon as they rolled to a stop, Lois was about to jump out of the car and attack, but she noticed that Clark was holding back. She was instantly concerned. Had the allergy problem from last night persisted? Did he need her to take care of him? Concern in her voice, she asked, "You coming? Are you okay?"

His reply was not satisfying, "You go ahead. I'll just be a minute."

She leaned over and put her hand on his forehead. After a few seconds she gave her diagnosis, "You feel normal."

Nodding his head he agreed with her, "I am normal." But he was thinking, <Normal for an Earth man, not a Kryptonian.>

Knowing nothing of his quandary, Lois asked, "So … everything's okay, right?" She fervently hoped so. With everything that had been happening, she was starting to think that this had been the wrong thing to do. She actually liked Clark’s parents. His mom was so sweet and accepting and his dad was like a cuddly teddy bear. If she wasn’t careful she might start to think of this as more than a marriage of convenience, a fake marriage. If she allowed that to happen then when it came time for the actual divorce she would be as devastated as she had been when her parents divorced. She would need to try and keep them at arm’s length. The more she allowed herself to like them the harder it would be when the inevitable end came. She needed to concentrate on simply getting through this weekend and getting back to Metropolis and her real life and that depended on Clark. They had promised to look into the situation at this other farm. It couldn’t be anything important so it shouldn’t take too long. As soon as they had done due diligence they would head out.

Even though he knew it was a lie, nonetheless he nodded his head to reassure her, Clark said, "Everything's okay."

Reassured, Lois accepted this and reaching for the door handle said, "Okay, then, let's go."

After piling out of the car, Lois strode up to the barricade and approached the attractive black woman standing there. She wore a name tag which read, ‘Carol Sherman, E.P.A.'. Without even waiting for them to introduce themselves she flatly stated, "Off limits to the public."

Lois pulled out her press pass and displayed it as she said, "We're not the public, we're the press."

In reply, Sherman said, "We've already issued a statement to the local paper."

Obviously not knowing who she was dealing with and wary of Lois' abrasive approach, Clark took the lead, "I'm Clark Kent. This is Lois Lane. We're with the Daily Planet."

Recognizing the name of the paper, Ms. Sherman was shocked and it was apparent in her voice as she said, "I'm Carol Sherman, EPA Field Liaison. What's a newspaper like yours doing here?"

Seeing that he was getting somewhere, Clark smiled and replied, "That's why we're called the Daily Planet. We cover the world."

Not to be left out, Lois added, "And that includes … Smallville."

Now realizing who she was dealing with Ms. Sherman replied, basically repeating what had been in the press release, "What you're seeing here is an ecological risk assessment. During the sixties, the owner used a lot of pesticides and we're concerned about seepage into the local ground water."

“I beg to differ with you, Ms. Sherman. I happen to know Wayne Irig and I know that he has never used excessive amounts of pesticides.”

“Mr. Kent …”

At Clark’s nod she continued, “Mr. Kent, you don’t look old enough to have been around when the pesticide use would have occurred therefore you can have no first-hand knowledge. The EPA received a tip about pesticide use and we are here to investigate the claim. The final analysis will show whether or not the report was founded.”

Going along with it, Lois quipped, "If your analysis shows positive then he was giving the people more than they bargained for at the dinner table?"

Not picking up on Lois' sarcasm, Ms. Sherman replied, "That's it. Public safety. No big story, I'm afraid."

Lois, now becoming more intent on the story because she sensed a cover-up said, "We'll need to speak with the property owner."

Unfazed, Ms. Sherman replied, "Mister Irig's been given relocation money during the testing. He didn't say where he would be going."

Pointedly, Lois replied, "I'm sure you've got that information somewhere. We'll check back." She grabbed Clark's arm and pulled him back toward the car. As they were walking she said, "I think the big impact here is probably that 'Farmer Jones' is off in some motel, eating take-out and watching cable TV on the government's dime. What impact could pesticide use in the sixties have on the crops being produced today?"

“Some of the older pesticides had a long residual.”

At Lois’s questioning look, he explained, “They didn’t break down quickly in the environment. They lasted for many years unlike those being produced today which break down, most of the time, within weeks of application. That’s why they have to be reapplied so often.”

“Oh, I think I see. So, some of the pesticides from the sixties could actually still be in the soil? So farmer Jones could actually be poisoning the people that eat his produce.”

Clark was opening his door to climb in and was indignant at her insinuation and it was evident in his voice, "His name happens to be Wayne Irig!" he said as he sat down. “I don’t believe that Wayne did it.”

Lois, embarrassed at her faux pas said, "Oh, that's right, you know him, don't you?" <He is really defensive of people, especially those he knows and likes. That is a good quality in a man. Come to think of it, he's defended me more than a few times. Not that I really needed defending … well, maybe I did at that. Now that I think about it, that was sweet of him and I have never really thanked him.>

Clark, somewhat mollified replied, "He's a friend of my dad's. I remember that before his wife died, they used to give out these great caramel apples at Halloween."

Lois was not usually silent; especially so since they had started this trip she had been as prickly as a porcupine. Her displeasure had been coming out as snide remarks and when she didn't respond to his statement, he was curious, "Okay, what happened to the joke?"

Lois asked innocently, "What joke?"

Clark confronted her, "You've made fun of everything else. Let's hear the caramel apple joke."

Lois replied in a childlike voice and with a wistful air as if remembering a happy thought, "There is no joke. I love caramel apples." <I guess that is something we have in common.>

"Oh. You had caramel apples in Canada?" Clark just shook his head. Here he had thought that he knew all there was to know about Lois Lane only to find out that he still had a lot to learn and he was having fun doing so.

“Of course we had caramel apples in Canada. It’s not a third world country, you know. We could drive there in just a few hours.”

Before they drove off, Clark attracted Lois’s attention to the property. “Lois, did you notice just where they are taking their samples?”

“Not really. Why? Is that important?”

“If they are checking for pesticide residues, they should be taking their samples from the fields, where the pesticides would have been used. They were working mostly in the yard.”

“Hey, you’re right. If this was a legitimate EPA operation, why would they be doing that? There might just be a story here after all. I wonder what they are really up to.”

Lois and Clark had very easily fallen back into investigative reporter mode and her enthusiasm for the story had grown as they had talked. Lois said, "I need to call the Planet. I want Jimmy to pull the list of EPA sites and FAX it to me. Where is the nearest FAX?"

"My folks have one."

She was surprised, but said, "Good. That's good."

Herb commented, "What Lois and Clark didn't know was that, yes, it was Trask and he had Wayne Irig in the command tent. As soon as they drove away, Ms. Sherman reported to Trask. They would have been surprised if they could have looked in on what was happening."

If they could have, they would have seen that the elusive Wayne Irig was in one of them, bound in a chair. He was the object of attention of a man wearing military fatigues, a man by the name of Jason Trask, the paranoid leader of the renegade UFO organization, Bureau 39. Several of his agents were standing guard and they were all heavily armed. A strong, hot light was shining into Irig's sweaty face.

As the good cop, Trask was using an ingratiating tone of voice, Trask was trying to get Irig to give him the information he sought. "We have two possibilities. Either you buried it somewhere on your farm or you gave it to someone. Now, which is it?" It was readily apparent that Trask hadn't watched enough police dramas because he was attempting to play both the good cop as well as the bad and it just wasn't working.

Wayne was demonstrating just how stubborn a Kansas farmer could be, by his continued recalcitrance, "There weren't no more. That's it, all there was."

Trask wasn't buying it. His expression morphed from ingratiating and persuasive to anger. He changed the angle of the light so that it was directly in Wayne's eyes. He could see the beads of perspiration on Wayne's face under the bright light. Then Trask's lunged over the table and grabbed Wayne's arms in a tight grip. He brought his face within inches of Wayne's and he almost shouted, "Wrong answer!"

After watching Lois and Clark depart, Sherman knew that she needed to report the encounter to her boss, Trask. She headed for Trask's headquarters, which was in the other tent. As soon as she entered she saw Wayne Irig, the man she had been told had left. The shock was evident on her face as she stopped, dead in her tracks.

Trask noted a change in his guard and standing turned to see her as she stopped just inside the tent flap.

Trask asked, "Is there a problem, Ms. Sherman?"

Indicating Wayne Irig, she said, "You told me he had been relocated."

In a sarcastic tone Trask replied, "He has been. This is his new location."

Sherman was not sanguine with this answer. She challenged, "Since when does the Environmental Protection Agency do interrogations?"

Smugly, Trask replied, "It doesn't, but Bureau 39 does."

This revelation was a surprise to Sherman. Stunned she asked, "Bureau 39? What's Bureau 39?"

Trask became more businesslike, straightening his posture and placing his hands behind his back, like a soldier at parade rest, and sterner as he replied, "That information is on a need to know basis and you don't."

Sherman came to a decision. She said, "I needed a job, but not this bad. I won't be a part of this."

With a malevolent stare Trask continued, "Ms. Sherman, I'd reconsider that if I were you. No one alive has ever quit Bureau 39. It's a … a curse." He started to smile, but the smile never reached his eyes. Sherman decided that it was the most evil smile she had ever seen. He continued, "You did say you had a daughter to raise, didn't you, but if you're determined to leave, I'll accept your … resignation … with regrets." As he finished speaking, he looked at one of his guards.

Sherman saw the look and looked at the guard also. When she did, she saw that he was slowly reaching for a weapon. She tensed and felt cold chills run up and down her spine. She quailed and said, "No, I'm fine."

She was watching the guard as she said this and seeing him relax, she released the breath she didn't even realize she had been holding.

"Good choice," Trask spat out and then said in a more businesslike tone "Well, then, I assume there was something else you came to tell me."

She had been watching the guard like a rodent watching a snake that was about to strike and snapping out of her stupor at the question, said, "I just talked to two reporters. Lois Lane and Clark Kent from the Daily Planet. They were just outside."

Hearing this report, Trask was at first surprised and then he started to smile, that malevolent smile of his returned. Then he said, "Oh, perfect. If they're here, Superman can't be far behind." Almost as an afterthought, he said, "Thank you. You may go."

When Lois and Clark drove away from the Irig farm they headed into town. When they reached the town center, Lois found a place to park right on Main Street. Looking around Lois saw that the Corn Festival was still underway.

As they were exiting the car, Clark told Lois, "If Mr. Irig's around, somebody here will know about it. That's the great thing about a small town. Maybe I should ask Rachel."

Lois was surprised by the sparks of jealousy that suddenly hit her when he said this and she blurted out, "Why not ask someone else?"

As she was finishing speaking, there was a shout from across the way, "Clark!" A redhead ran up and threw her arms around Clark. He was without his powers, so before he could react she, without asking permission planted her lips on his. When she pulled back, Clark disengaged himself and looked at Lois apologetically.

Lois was looking daggers at this new woman. The sparks of jealousy she had felt moments ago at the mention of Rachel, seeing this had suddenly been fanned into a blazing inferno.

Stepping back, next to Lois, Clark finally was able to perform the introductions, "Lana Lang, I'd like you to meet, Lois Lane, my fiancée.” He turned to Lois and tried to explain, “Lana is sort of … my ... ex."

Lana's face fell, she gasped out, "Fiancée?"

"Yes, Lana, fiancée. Lois and I are getting married."

Lana collected herself. "I'm sorry. I didn't know."

Lois supplied, "We made the announcement at the dance last night."

"I wasn't there." She held out her hand and said, "Hi. Pleased to meet you. I was just so happy to see Clark. It's been so long."

As she shook her hand, Lois asked, "Ex what?"

Looking at Clark with an unreadable expression, Lana replied, "Well, we were high school sweethearts until I left in our senior year. I went with my father on a dig. He’s an archeologist and my mom had passed away so it was just him and me. You know how it is. When Clark finished college he came back to Smallville, it just happened that we were here, looked me up and asked me to marry him."

"But you told him, no." Lois nodded in understanding. After what Suzanne and Collette had said and intimated with the nickname they had used for Clark she now understood. He had been rejected by this woman and he was being extra cautions in any relationships that came after. The endearment that Suzanne and Collette had used indicated that they had pursued a relationship with him and had been unsuccessful in their attempts. So why was he acquiescing to her demands that he marry her?

"Yeah, fool that I am, I told him, no. I was going to be doing more traveling with my father. I think that's why Clark left on his world travels.” She had been looking back and forth between Lois and Clark. Now she centered her attention on Lois as she said, “My, you two are getting married, so I guess he's told you all about himself."

"I'm still learning what there is to know. There’s a lot to learn."

"You don't have to pretend with me. I know."

"Know what?"

This answer unsettled Lana. She looked at Clark accusingly and asked, "You haven't told her yet, have you?"

"It hasn't come up, yet."

"But I thought you said …" She stopped abruptly and pulled Clark out of Lois's hearing before she said, "I thought you told me that you would only marry someone after they knew about you, about what you could do."

Somewhat sheepishly, Clark replied, "Yes, I did, but this is a different situation."

"Okay, if you say so." Lana gave Lois a wary eye as she turned to leave. As she did, she said to both of them, "I'll be seeing you around."

As soon as Lana had walked away, Lois asked, "What hasn't come up? What do I need to know? Is it something that Mr. Ramsbottom will ask about?"

Clark tried to deflect her by saying, "Oh, I don't think he'd ask about this, it's something personal. I'll tell you at … the proper time."

Lois challenged, "When will it be the proper time?"

"I'm not sure just yet, but when it is, we'll both know it."

"Why can't you tell me now?"

Clark stuck to his guns and replied, "Because the right time hasn't occurred as yet. We'll both know when it is the right time."

Lois let out a gasp, "Wow! That was a close one. Lana almost gave away The Secret."

"Clark may have been able to cover it because right then he was powerless," pointed out Clark. "But she brought up a good point. Clark's going to have to tell her sometime and soon."

"Right you are. Right then he didn't have his powers so it would be difficult for anyone to prove that he was Superman, especially him, but he did need to tell her."

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 09/25/15 11:54 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj