The Matchmaker Files - An Unusual Proposal

Rated PG-13

G - Story - TOC

* emphasis*
<thoughts>

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * time passed – scene change

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ * scene change – universe change

Previously

Lois could see that Clark wanted some time to talk with his parents, so she wandered off. As Lois wandered around she suddenly found herself at the boutique booth again. Seeing that the dress was still on display she wandered over to it and started stroking it thoughtfully again.

The salesgirl stepped up to her and asked, "Can I help you?"

Lois said, "I think you can. Do you take credit cards?"

"We sure do."

"Good. How much is this dress?"

"The one on the mannequin?"

"Well, do you have one like it? I'd need to make sure it's my size."

"Miss, that's a one of a kind, an original. It was handmade so that's the only one. You'd have to try it on."

Lois replied, "I don't think I need to. Just take it off the mannequin. I'll take it."

While the salesgirl was removing the dress from the display, Lois looked around for footwear.

Once she had paid for her purchases she took the packages and going back across the street to Maisie's Diner, entered the Lady's Room, or at least she assumed it was the Lady's Room. On the door was a stick figure in a dress, but the legend was Heifers. Glancing at the other door she saw the corresponding stick figure and the word Bulls. Shaking her head she thought, <You'd think we were in cattle country. Obviously someone's attempt at humor.>

As she was entering one of the stalls, she thought, <Well, this is appropriately named. Don't they keep cattle in stalls?> Smiling to herself at the joke, she quickly removed her pants outfit and pulled the dress out of the package. She was now standing in the stall wearing just her bra and panties with the door closed as she held the dress up to look at it. Her mind made up, she unbuttoned the dress and slipped it on over her head. As she smoothed it down over her hips she felt the soft fabric and a sense of rightness. Quickly she buttoned the dress up and as she was sure would be the case, it fit like it had been made especially for her. She next slipped into her new footwear and putting her pant suit into the bag exited the Lady's Room. Knowing how the dress felt and how she felt wearing it, which was very feminine, she was feeling like anything other than a Heifer.

She stopped at their Mustang and put her bags in the trunk. Almost as an afterthought she placed her precious taupe bag in with the clothes and then she headed back to the festival to find Clark.

Clark had been talking with his parents, paving the way for the announcement, when Lois came up. Looking up and seeing her, Clark said, "My, don't you look nice. I don't remember seeing that dress before."

"That's because you haven't. I just bought it. I felt, I don't know, a little ... out of place. What I was wearing just wasn't right. When in Smallville …" As she finished speaking she let go an embarrassed giggle at her play on words.

All Clark could do was stare at her. If he hadn't already been in love with her, he surely would be falling for her. It was a small gesture, but it showed that she was serious about the situation. Lois was gorgeous! He had never seen her in a dress so becoming. He had seen her dressed for a ball, he had seen her dressed for work and casually, but for some reason, this outfit sent his mind into a whirl. It was a long brown dress which had a light flowered print and a deep wide 'V' neckline. It was very flattering to her figure accentuating her narrow waist and full bosom. She had also purchased a pair of western boots to complete the ensemble which showed through the slit in the front of the skirt. With the look of a hungry dog staring at a steak, Clark said, "All I can say is ... Wow!"

Smiling at his response, Lois did a pirouette and asked, "So, you like?"

Clark's response was a heartfelt, "And how!"

Lois' smile broadened, "Good, because I wanted to please you. I wanted to, I don't know, fit in. Be a part of 'your world'."

"Lois, dressed like that you'll be the belle of the ball."

"That's good because I intend to have you dance with me tonight." <Okay Ms. Two Step and Tush-Push, it's time for you to meet your competition.>

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ *

Clark interrupted, "Oh, no. I think I see where this is going. That was the Kryptonite that Wayne gave to my Dad. Is that Trask at the farm? Did they have to go through that?"

With an enigmatic smile, Herb replied, "Yes, it was the Kryptonite, but things didn't turn out quite the same way as it did with you and Trask. Almost, but not quite."

"Come on, Herb. Tell us some more."

"All right, Lois, I shall."

And now

Chapter 09

Later that evening, as a special activity of the Corn Festival, a dance was being held at the Grange Hall. To prepare for it, they had pushed the Bingo setup off to one side so that the stage could be converted into a bandstand. The tables and chairs had all been stacked on one side to make room for a dance floor. Flanking the doors were bundled cornstalks and some scarecrows to carry out the corn harvest theme.

While the band was setting up, the Corn Queen, Camille Davis, and her court had been there to open the festivities. She was a strawberry blond with a striking figure and happened to be a young cousin of Rachel Harris. She was wearing her crown, but the males in the audience were not disappointed. Even though she wasn’t wearing her bathing suit (which many had hoped for) or even the evening gown she and all of her court were wearing ‘Daisy Dukes’, a crop top, western boots and a ten gallon hat.

Clark had changed into a flannel shirt and jeans while Lois was wearing her new dress. The dress was extremely well tailored and clung to her curves like a second skin and had a deep scooped ‘V’ neckline. Even though it was it still only showed a hint of cleavage which suited Lois’s taste in attire. She also liked the fact that the dress was long and that the slit only came to just above the knee.

There were easily forty or fifty couples on the dance floor while Lois and Clark were standing on the fringes watching as a country line dance formed up. Clark was watching the dancing, but Lois was keeping an eye on the doors, looking for her rival. As the band started playing their third song, Lois spotted Rachel coming in through the doors between the cornstalks. Rachel had changed out of her uniform and was now dressed in a western style outfit, western shirt with the tails tied baring her midriff and several buttons undone showing plenty of cleavage, western style boots with a short skirt with crinolines under it which was designed to show off her form and emphasize her legs and it did a good job of it. Seeing her attire, Lois knew instinctively that she was on the prowl and that her prey was Clark so Lois decided to act preemptively. Grabbing Clark's hand she started dragging him onto the dance floor, as she said, "Come on, Clark, let's give it a whirl."

Clark's reply didn't encourage her, he asked, "You're kidding, right?"

Lois watched as Rachel approached and the closer she got the more urgent Lois' importunities to get Clark on the dance floor became. She said, "No, I'm not kidding. I want to dance with you, but only if you promise not to breathe a word about it to anyone at the Planet."

Clark held up his hand in the Boy Scout salute and said, "I promise," and stopped resisting as she dragged him onto the dance floor and into the lines.

Lois watched carefully as the people in the lines started to move and copied their movements. Clark was surprised to see Lois display such skill in the dance and said, "Wow, you really do know how to dance!"

Smiling, Lois had replied, "This isn't the kind of dancing I grew up doing, but dance is dance, if you know what I mean."

"What kind of dancing did you do, growing up?"

"I guess you'd call it French Canadian Step Dancing. It's like your Clogging, or Irish Step Dancing, only not quite so stiff. Last year a girlfriend at the dojo convinced me to learn country line dancing. She said that it would be a good way to meet guys."

Surprised, Clark asked, "Was it?"

Lois laughed and quipped, "Define guys."

By her broad smile, Clark could tell that Lois was having a good time.

Rachel could also see how well Lois moved and took up the challenge. <She wants to make this a contest, huh? We'll just see about that.> Joining the line right next to Lois, Rachel tried her best to outperform Lois in the moves of the dance. However, try as she might, whatever move was called for, Lois performed it with, at least equal and most of the time more grace and skill than Rachel. It looked like Lois had a natural flair for dance. Rachel was a little hampered by the fact that she had several buttons of her top undone and was going out of her way to exaggerate some of the moves to show off her bodice and make her skirt flare up to display her legs.

Clark could see the sidelong glances the two girls were giving one another as they danced and he came to the realization that they were both dancing for him because they were also looking at him to gauge his responses. As the competition proceeded it became more and more energetic and Clark was surprised when he actually broke a sweat, an unusual occurrence for him. The girls were undeterred as the dance continued, vying to outdo one another. Clark couldn't help, but admit that Lois was the superior dancer and as the song came to an end even Rachel had to admit that she had met her match.

That song was the end of a set, so while the band was busily putting away their instruments everything was silent and people started milling around. Slowly groups started to form. Since Clark had been away from Smallville for so long many of his old friends started to drift in his direction.

Rachel addressed Lois, "You know, for a city gal, you sure can dance!"

Lois couldn't help rubbing it in a little and said, "You're not so bad yourself, but when you 'Tush-Push', you need to add a little," she demonstrated, "at the end."

Rachel was mortified; this city girl had the gall to tell her how to dance! Rachel could see the Kents out of the corner of her eye and felt it would be a good time to reestablish her relationship with Clark. She sidled up to him and putting her arms around his neck went up on tip-toe to give him a kiss.

Putting his hands on her upper arms and pushing her away slightly, Clark stopped her and said, "No, Rachel, we can't do that."

Surprised, Rachel challenged, "Why not?"

In a tone barely above a whisper, but in a tone loud enough for all those nearby to hear, he replied, "Because, I'm getting married."

There was a collective gasp from Rachel and a number of their other friends that were standing around as well and his parents were stunned. As Rachel's arms dropped from his hands she stepped back and blurted out, "What did you say?"

With a sheepish look at his parents, he repeated, "I'm getting married." He held out a hand to Lois, which after taking a step closer she took in one of hers and he said, "Lois and I are getting married."

She had taken his hand when he had held his out, but Lois was shocked speechless. This was how he chose to announce that they were getting married? Just, blurting it out, here at the dance! She flushed with embarrassment.

Martha’s hands flew up and covered her gasp. Jonathan stepped forward and asked, "This is awfully sudden, isn't it, Clark?"

"Yeah, I know, Dad. I meant to tell you guys earlier, but the time never seemed to be right."

Pete Ross happened to be there and stepping over to Clark he placed his hand on Clark's shoulder said, "Well, Buddy, that's good news. How did it happen?"

Clark hadn't thought about a back-story and asked, "How did what happen?"

Pete smiled and asked, "How did you meet? When did you fall in love? How did you ask her to marry you?"

Knowing just how lousy a liar he was, Clark decided that the truth was the way to go. "Oh, well, that's easy, we met when I interviewed at the Daily Planet. Lois was actually the one that got me the job. We started working together. It just ... happened."

Billy Eck, another one of Clark's high school buddies shouted, "Kiss her!"

Others took up the chant, "Kiss her! Kiss her! Kiss her!" As they did they formed a circle around the ‘happy couple.’

Clark could see that Lois was obviously embarrassed. She was already flushed and this only served to deepen her color from a light pink to a shade of rose.

This was a circumstance that they hadn't prepared for. Lois was thinking that something like this would never have happened in either Montreal or Metropolis.

Clark tried to placate the crowd and rescue her from this embarrassing situation by taking the hand he was already holding and kissing the back of it. After which he put up their joined hands and said, "There, how about that?"

Billy Eck, Pete Ross and Clark had been very close all through high school. They had been like the three musketeers. On the football team Clark had been the quarterback, Pete the offensive left tackle and Billy a wide receiver. There had always been the strongest camaraderie between these three and Billy, for one, was not going to be satisfied with half measures, so Billy egged him on, "Come on, Clark! A real kiss!"

There was no surprise when Pete joined in, “Yeah, buddy, a real kiss!”

Then they all started the chant again, ""Kiss her! Kiss her! Kiss her!"

He looked at her and shrugged as if to say, ‘Sorry, but if we don't do this they won't stop.'

She looked at him, apprehensively and looked around as if looking for an escape route, but finding none, decided to bow to the inevitable. Standing rigidly, she tilted her head back and pursed her lips.

Clark seeing her rigid attitude tried to make it as easy on her as he could. He leaned in and delivered a rather chaste peck on the lips.

Billy and Pete both hooted and shouted, "Come on, Clark! You can do better than that!"

He looked at Lois, apology in his eyes as he stepped up to her.

Realizing that there was no way to avoid the inevitable she prepared. Her arms were rigidly at her sides and her fists were clenched as she tilted her head back and stared, challengingly, at him as he closed the distance. The first contact was gentle, almost tentative. His lips were soft and warm. Her eyes had widened in surprise at how nice it actually felt. She didn't know what she should have expected, but it felt better than any kiss she had experienced in her life. Based on hearing the continued chanting, she realized that they were not going to break the kiss any time soon and a nagging feeling in the back of her mind told her that she didn't really want to. As the contact persisted, she started to relax into it and her eyes drifted shut. She was trying to tell herself that it was only for show, but her body started to react of its own accord. Slowly, as the kiss continued, her arms started to move. Before she realized it her fists were un-clinched and her hands had slid up his chest and over his shoulders, around behind his head and her fingers were twined in his hair.

Feeling this, Clark's arms had moved around her body and were splayed across her back, pulling her into the kiss.

As he pulled her into the kiss, she felt her entire body coming into fuller contact. Her body practically melted into his. She stretched up on tip-toe, lifted one foot in the air, behind herself and parted her lips slightly.

Feeling her mouth open, Clark swiped his tongue along her lower lip.

With his super-hearing, Clark could hear a faint moan emanating from the back of her throat as the kiss deepened.

Slowly, tentatively, Clark pushed his tongue forward. He felt an almost electric shock when her tongue came out to meet his. When they touched they started a slow tango, thrusting and touching and tasting each other.

After what seemed an eternity to Lois, Clark finally broke the kiss. He pulled away, but she was in a blissful fog and incapable of movement. She simply stood there, eyes closed, lips parted, head tilted back, breathing heavily for almost a minute.

Clark was also breathing heavily standing there holding her in his arms, not wanting to move.

As the kiss had progressed, the chanting had ceased and an awed hush had fallen over the audience.

When Lois and Clark finally came back to Earth and looked around, all they saw was envy in the eyes of the onlookers.

Pete Ross broke the spell, "Wow, I never would have thought you had it in you, Clark. That was … some kiss."

Lois still had a dreamy expression as she said, "Yeah, it was, wasn't it."

Rachel Harris said to Clark in a rather disappointed tone, "You never kissed me like that, Clark." She turned to Lois and asked, "Where's the ring? Didn't Clark get you a ring?"

Lois stuttered, "No … no, not yet. We, uh, it was a spur of the moment thing. There was no time. He just surprised me. I guess we need to get one, right, Honey?"

Clark nodded in reply.

Billy Eck reached for Rachel's hand and asked, "Can I try?"

"Try what?"

"Try to kiss you the way Clark kissed Lois."

Rachel and Billy had dated, off and on since school and realizing that after seeing that kiss, any hopes she might harbor of reuniting with Clark were dashed, turned to Billy and said, "You can try."

Rachel placed her hand in Billy's and he led her away.

The party broke up quickly after that.

A little later a battered pickup truck and a Mustang convertible pulled off the road and entered the drive leading to a quaint farm house. After parking Jonathan and Martha exited the pickup while Lois and Clark exited the Mustang. After closing the car door, Lois simply stood there looking at the house while Clark got the luggage out of the back. She was thinking, <Quaint, unpretentious, just about what I expected.>

Lois followed Clark to the house. As they entered Lois found herself in the family room. Off on one side she spotted an easel with an unfinished painting on it. The painting was in a sort of cubist - expressionist style. Very abstract.

Martha was somewhat nervous about having Lois, now her soon-to-be daughter-in-law, in the house for the first time. Lois was used to the big city with all of its luxuries and conveniences. What if she ran out screaming because it was so rustic? Martha was cradling a dozen ears of corn, wrapped in a red and white checkered cloth that she had brought home from the Festival and as Lois entered, Martha turned to her and said, "It's just an old farm house, but it's home." She saw that Lois was staring at her painting. She asked, "That's my latest. What do you think?"

Lois didn't want to offend Clark's mother, so she had a thoughtful expression as she said, "I like it. It's … very … different."

Martha smiled brightly and looking at Jonathan said, "Jonathan has been saying that nobody would ever be able to figure out what it is. What do you think it is?"

Shrugging her shoulders, Lois admitted, "I'm sorry, I have no clue."

Martha let out a sigh and said, "I guess Jonathan's right. It's a bowl of fruit."

Tilting her head to the side, Lois said, "Oh, yeah, I can kinda see it now."

Martha thought for a second before she asked, "Now you're in Clark's room. Clark can take the couch. Unless you two are ..." She looked at them with a question in her eyes.

Lois and Clark looked at each other and Lois thought about it. If it got back to Mr. Ramsbottom that they slept in different rooms it wouldn't look right so she said, "Uh, yes, yes we are."

Nodding, Martha said, "Clark, I think your father wants to talk to you. Why don't I take Lois up and get her settled." Martha had her left arm around Lois' waist and her right arm in her right hand as she started to lead Lois away she turned and looking over her left shoulder mouthed, "I love her," to Clark. As they were disappearing up the stairs, Clark heard Martha say, "I hope you're not allergic to down pillows."

"No, just pine nuts."

As soon as Lois and Martha were out of sight, Jonathan laid a hand on Clark's arm to stop him from following. When he had his attention he said, "Clark, something is going on over at Wayne Irig's place."

"What kind of thing, Dad?"

"There's a bunch of Feds tearing up the place. They say that they are EPA and looking for pesticides. Wayne thinks they're looking for something all right. Something odd, but not pesticides."

"How do you know? If not, pesticides, then what, Dad?"

"Trust me; they're not looking for pesticides up the road, Clark. Come with me. I have something to show you." Jonathan led the way through the kitchen, out the back door and into the shed.

Jonathan closed the door after them and turned on the lights as they entered the shed. In the semi-darkness he led the way around bales of hay and bags of seed corn and reached behind a rack of tools to retrieve an old tool box. As they were moving Jonathan had related the story. "Wayne Irig found a rock on his property last week. He sent a sample of it on to Wichita for analysis. Then the Feds showed up. He told me that he found it when a storm knocked that tree over. I remember that tree. He planted it at Nellie's request, just about the time we found you."

Musingly, Clark said, "That doesn't make any sense. Why go to all that trouble for a rock?"

In a conspiratorial tone, Jonathan answered his question, "Because the preliminary report said it was some kind of meteorite. Wayne thought it might be worth some money. He gave it to me for safekeeping after the government types started pushing him around." Jonathan placed the box on top of a hay bale.

As Jonathan finished speaking he opened the lid of the lead tool box and the light coming from the crystal permeated the barn with its sickening green glow. Behind him Clark suddenly stumbled back as pain lanced through his body. He suddenly felt weak and nauseous ... sensations he had never in his life felt, not even when he was vulnerable as a child.

Still looking at the rock and not knowing that Clark was in distress, Jonathan continued to speak, "I figure since it was found a few miles from where we found you that it was probably related." Jonathan lifted the box and turned toward Clark so that he could get a closer look. The closer he came, the worse Clark felt.

Clark held up his hand in a stop gesture and said, in a weak voice, "Dad, I'm feeling kinda strange." As he finished speaking he stumbled backward until he was finally against the wall and couldn't back away any farther.

Jonathan had never seen Clark in any kind of distress before and had no idea as to how to handle the situation. Nervously, he asked, "Clark, what is it?" In his concern for Clark all he could think of was to set the box down on the floor, but unfortunately for Clark, he left it open and it was in close proximity to Clark.

Weakly, Clark replied, "I don't know."

Jonathan asked, "Are you sick?

Unsure and confused, Clark replied, "Maybe. I guess. I've never been sick before so I don't know." Grabbing his stomach, Clark bent over and looked like he was about to vomit.

Jonathan looked at the toolbox and asked, "My God, do you think it's this thing?"

Barely conscious, Clark was too far gone to reply. His face was contorted in pain as his knees buckled and he knocked over some bags of seed corn as he collapsed to the floor.

Startled and not thinking clearly at seeing Clark falling, Jonathan simply stepped over to Clark, ignoring the old tool box. Lifting him partly from the shed floor he nervously asked, "Clark! What's happening?"

Not knowing what else to do he shouted, "Martha!" There was no way for him to know that Martha was still upstairs with Lois, getting her settled in. When she didn't come immediately, Jonathan started to drag Clark from the shed and his path took him past the tool box. Because of his higher density it was impossible for him to lift Clark. All the time he was muttering, "My boy … my poor, poor boy …" As they were passing close to the box, Jonathan could feel Clark writhing in pain even though he was unconscious and unresponsive otherwise.

Eventually, Jonathan made it to the back porch with Clark. As the distance from the shed and the Rock increased his pain decreased and he started to come around. About this time, Martha came downstairs and seeing that the living room was empty she started wondering where Clark and Jonathan had gone. The most likely place being the shed she headed in that direction. As soon as she opened the back door she saw Jonathan dragging Clark and immediately was at his side. Between them, with what little assistance Clark was able to give, they were able to support him while he tried to stand, each taking one of his arms across their shoulders. They managed to get him into the kitchen and they lowered him into a chair.

Like any mother, the first thing Martha did was to feel his head. When she did, she declared, "Clark, honey, you're burning up." Moving to a cabinet she pulled out a thermometer and after shaking it down placed it in his mouth.

Mumbling around the thermometer, Clark said, "Don't get scared, Mom. My body doesn't work like other people's bodies."

Jonathan moved to the sink and filled a metal pitcher with water and turning around asked, "How do you feel? That's the important thing."

Still mumbling around the thermometer, Clark replied, "Better. I actually think I feel … better." As he finished speaking the thermometer exploded.

When the thermometer exploded, it startled Martha and she jumped and exclaimed, "Oh!" Then seeing exactly what had happened and said, "Oh, my …"

Removing the rest of the thermometer from his mouth, Clark said, "It doesn't mean anything, Mom. You know I'm different."

Martha, quipped, "That's the first time I ever saw a thermometer explode. Remind me not to do that anymore."

Jonathan placed the pitcher of water he had just filled on the table next to a glass. As he did he asked, "What do you mean, you 'think' you feel better? Don't you know?"

Martha looked at Jonathan with a how-can-you-ask-that look as she said, "He's never been sick before, Jonathan! It's a new experience for him. He has no point of reference."

Clark tried to lift the water pitcher to pour a glass for himself, however his hand was shaking so much with the effort that it was apparent to all that there would be more water on the table than in the glass so Jonathan took the pitcher from him to do the job.

Dismayed, Clark indicated the water pitcher and in a hushed tone said, "I lifted a rocket into orbit, but right now I can't even lift this."

As Jonathan handed him the glass of water, Martha tried to reassure him, "Don't worry, honey, you'll bounce back."

Jonathan mused, "Why would a rock hurt him?"

Martha answered in a matter-of-fact tone, "Because it's poison. Because it must have something to do with Clark's arrival here. Whatever it is ..."

They heard Lois on the stairs and quieted. She was wearing one of Clark's robes. It swam on her, but it covered her very thoroughly. She looked closely at Clark and said, "Clark, you look horrible." She moved over and started stroking his hair, hooking her finger in his front lock and brushing it aside in a tender gesture.

Clark reveled in her touch, but knew that he had to say something, "It's my allergies."

Lois said, "Poor baby, you never said anything about allergies before. I don't remember that being in the binder."

"They haven't bothered me for a while, I guess I forgot to include it."

She thought, <I need to take care of him. It would be expected.> "Come on, Honey, let Lois take care of you."

Martha said, "His allergies only act up at this time of the year. Must be the pollens or something."

Jonathan chimed in, "Yeah, real bad this time of the year."

Finally, Lois gently teased Clark. She leaned in, showing some décolletage as she did and whispered in his ear, "I tried to warn you about those amber waves of grain," then standing again she said to Clark, "Come on, Honey, let's go to bed."

Taking Clark by the arm, she led him upstairs.

Lois stopped Herb and said, "Wow! That's all I can say. Martha and Jonathan are still trying to protect Clark's secret. Lois is trying to make it look like they are a serious couple. She doesn't know just how close he is to his family and if she did, she'd know that she isn't fooling anyone, especially Martha and Jonathan."

Clark added, "It's like they were acting at cross purposes everyone hiding things from the others. Why didn't they just be honest with Mom and Dad, explain the situation and enlist their help?"

Herb pointed out, "Lois still didn't know Clark's secret and he still didn't know if he was going to reveal it to her. There was the possibility that everything would fall through making it all moot."

Once they were upstairs, Clark grabbed a pair of sweats and a T-shirt and disappeared into the bathroom to change.

When he came out, Lois gave him an appreciative appraisal. The musculature of his arms and torso struck her, again. She remembered back to when she had gone to pick him up at the Apollo Hotel when they were on the Space Station Investigation. All he had been wearing was a towel wrapped around his hips and his glasses. She fought the urge to put her hands on him.

When they were in the room with the door closed, she said, "You take the bed." She took a couple of pillows off the bed along with some blankets and laid them on the floor.

Gently, Clark stopped her and said, "No. You take the bed." He moved over and stretched out on the blankets on the floor.

Lois said, "Well, okay. If you insist."

"I insist. Go to bed." He was thinking, <With my powers gone, at least I don't have to worry about floating in my sleep.>

She started to open the robe, but before she did, she said, "Close your eyes."

The light was dim, but there was a night light.

Clark said, "Okay." He decided that he would cheat and keep his eyes open.

Lois checked, "You're sure their closed?"

"Yep."

She opened the robe to reveal a shorty nightie in pastel blue. It was filmy and mostly transparent.

Clark gasped and said, "That's the nightie you chose to bring to Smallville?"

As she quickly climbed onto the bed and pulled a blanket up to cover herself, she said, "I was going to be in a hotel room, by myself, remember? Besides, you weren't supposed to be looking."

In his own defense, Clark said, "I think I really need to know what you wear and what you look like if we are going to pass Mr. Ramsbottom's tests."

Thoughtfully, Lois asked, "Assuming we pass his tests, how soon should we get married?"

"We probably shouldn't wait too long."

There was a tone of disappointment in her voice as she said, "Yeah, I guess the sooner we are married, the sooner we can divorce."

"I think that we might have to spend a little time here checking on some things, before we can head back to Metropolis."

You can promote a reporter out of reporting, but you can never take the reporter out of the person, Lois's interest was piqued, "What kind of things?"

"My dad told me that there are some federal types tearing up a neighbor's farm. He's convinced that they are lying about the reason. They say it's because of pesticides, but he knows that Wayne never used any."

"What could they be looking for?"

"He's not sure, but the whole setup looks fishy. He asked if we could check it out."

"Look, we didn't come here to investigate anything. We came here to announce our engagement. We've done that. We could probably go home tomorrow."

"You can go back, but I'm staying here. It may be nothing, but if it is something, I need to know what it is."

"Oh, okay, if you insist, we'll stay and investigate."

Lois interrupted Herb again, "I feel sorry for that Clark. At least my Clark got to sleep on that comfy sofa."

"Someday I'll tell you about another couple. I had to give her some of her future memories, memories of their married life. Because of those memories, she was used to sleeping with Clark. She actually had her Clark join her in bed because she couldn't sleep without him being there." (See Green, Green Glow of Home - Matchmaker Style)

Clark added, "At least there was no chance of him floating in his sleep and giving away The Secret."

Herb pointed out, "Ah, but now they knew that something was happening over on the Irig farm. I have to admit, I was curious as to just how different this universe was from yours so I delved deeper into what happened. I didn't just follow Lois and Clark. I'll try to give you the entire picture."

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 09/22/15 11:03 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj