-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Panhandler's Tale (in response to the "Canterbury Tales of Metropolis" Challenge) 1/1
by Lynn S. M.
Rated G
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You see an angel, you never forget. I saw one a year ago today. Gave me a gift 'n flew right outta sight.

Seein' an angel changes you. Makes ya better. I've been clean since then. Nuthin' passes these lips stronger 'n water.

That ain't the only time I seen him. He smiles down at me from signs on near every street, seems like -- leastaways, his picture does. Him and a gal. He also smiles down from the sky. He wears his wings then -- red ones. Oh, most folks think it's just a cape flappin' behind him, but they also think he's just from another planet. I know better: He's from Heaven.

Yep, he's some kinda angel. And if he wants to walk the world in secret, it's fine by me. I ain't never told no one what I'm tellin' you now, but if I kept the secret to myself much longer, I'd about bust at the seams. Father, what I say here, you can't tell no one. I ain't been inside a church since I was a little 'un, but I remember 'bout the secrecy of the confessional. I come to ya 'cause I know you gotta keep all kinds of secrets, and you know more 'bout God than me. I just had ta tell someone I can trust, someone who won't be thinkin' me crazy.

Thank you, Father, for keeping the secret with me.