The Matchmaker Files - An Unusual Proposal

Rated PG-13

G - Story - TOC

* emphasis*
<thoughts>

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * time passed – scene change

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ * scene change – universe change

Previously

Embarrassed about her tattoo, Lois tried to close that discussion by starting to turn the pages. "We're done with that question. Done with that question. We are done with that question. On to another one." As she thumbed through the pages looking for a question she would be comfortable with, she muttered, "Let me see. Let me see, let me see, let me see, ah, here's one. Whose place do we stay at, yours or mine."

"Mine, because you find it homey."

"No, mine because I have two bedrooms." She noticed how he was fidgeting in his seat. She asked, "There's something I should probably know, nervous flyer?"

Shamefacedly, he replied, "Yeah, I guess so. I figure that if man was supposed to fly, he'd have been given wings or something. Being cooped up in an aluminum tube supported by nothing but air just seems unnatural."

In a dreamy tone, Lois said, "Superman doesn't."

"Doesn't what, fly?"

"No, of course he flies, he doesn't have wings or anything."

Just then the stewardess announced that the seatbelt sign had just been lit, "Please fasten your seat belts, we are beginning our descent into Wichita."

Lois said, "Wichita, I thought we were going to Smallville."

"We are. This is the nearest airport. We drive from here."

"Oh."

"It will give you more time to study."

"Oh."

After picking up the rental car, Clark got behind the wheel and started to drive. Initially he was pointing out the sights, but eventually they were outside of the city and into the farm country. As they drove, Lois complained, "Miles and miles and miles of nothing but fields of crops."

Clark smiled and in a very upbeat tone said, "This is America's breadbasket, Lois. I bet that half of what you eat comes from this area."

Lois wasn't mollified, she continued to grumble, "Don't tell me, 4-H changed your life."

Clark was still being insufferably upbeat as he continued, "I can't help it if I'm a farm kid."

Lois, now with a sarcastic tone replied to this sally, "If I ever need a cow milked, I'll remember that." Lois was thinking, <For a farm kid he sure can write. It may not exactly be my style, but Perry might be right. Our styles do complement each other. I don't know how Perry does it. Actually, I guess I do know. Like he always says, 'I didn't get this job because I can yodel.' Much as I hate to admit it, Clark and I were good and together ... according to Perry we could be great. Maybe the move to the editor's office wasn't for the best. I have to admit, he never tried to take advantage of me. He didn't steal any of my stories. In fact, much as I hate to admit it, I'm the one that stole one of his. I hate it that I did that. That's another thing about Clark; he never casts that up at me. He is so forgiving. Why can't all men be like him? It's such a shame; he appears to be unique, one of a kind. I even started to like working with him, then we were promoted. I wonder if we can get back to that. If he would just stop disappearing suddenly and frequently.>

The Mustang convertible with the top down turned into a dirt road which wound through a wooded area. Clark was driving while Lois studied. Suddenly, rounding a curve Clark pulled the car to a halt. In front of them was a railroad crossing and there was a train passing by. The gate was down so they had to wait.

Clark and Lois resumed the discussion that started a little earlier, "You can joke about it all you want, but take away Middle America and what have you got?

Lois, with a one-ups-man tone replied, "Art, music, theater …"

Clark interrupted and added, "crime, drugs, poverty.

Sighing and indicating the train, Lois asked, "How long is this going to take?"

Smiling, Clark replied, "It takes as long as it takes."

With a sidelong glance, Lois said, "I didn't know that Zen was popular in the country." Lois thought, <Maybe this won't be that bad. There may be more to Mr. Greenjeans than what's on the surface. He's right; I really haven't taken the time to get to know him like I should and if we are going to pass this interview I need to. Maybe by seeing him in his own environment I can figure him out a little. Maybe he won't disappear while we are here.>

Clark was continuing his discourse, "It always takes people from the city a while to decompress. Fortunately for you, this weekend Smallville's holding the annual Corn Festival."

With a dispirited air, Lois asked, "This is a good thing?" <Hmmmm. Maybe I can talk to some of the people that knew him growing up. I might just be able to find out if this is all a put on or if he really is this good. If it's a put on, then I can keep him at arm's length. I hope it isn't a put on. The time we've spent, working late nights together … sharing take out … ohhhh, that take out. He always gets the very best take out. If he can do that for a working session, I wonder where he'd take me for a date?> She gave a mental shake, <DATE??? Where did that thought come from? We aren't dating … we're … we're getting married!>

Clark's almost insufferably upbeat attitude was abundantly evident as he replied, "Sure. We'll see the Corn Queen Pageant. The Husk-Off. The Corn-O-Rama. Popcorn, creamed corn, corn-on-the-cob. We're in luck."

With a sarcastic tone, Lois replied, "Be still, my heart." <Maybe, with a personal guide it won't be so bad. I hope it won't be as boring as it sounds.>

Not allowing her negative attitude to affect him, Clark smiled in reply.

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ *

Lois interrupted, "I've really grown to like the Corn Festival. It really is a lot of fun. We've been to it several times since we've been married."

Clark laughed and said, "I can hardly keep her off the dance floor. She and Rachel and Lana are still trying to outdo each other."

And now

Chapter 08

After Lois and Clark drove away from the railroad crossing they headed into town. When they reached the town center, Clark found a place to park right on Main Street. Looking around Lois saw that the public square had been converted into a mini-fairground. Across the way was a grassy area with a gazebo. A banner sign read: "Smallville Corn Festival." Despite the small town flavor, it was a well organized affair, complete with a hip logo. The feel was part carnival, part craft fair, and part harvest celebration. Under the gazebo, a country-rock band was playing.

As she was exiting the car, Lois asked, "Nothing like Metropolis is it?"

"No, it isn't. Here everybody knows everybody. That's the great thing about a small town. That's what I like about coming home." Clark interrupted what he was saying because he saw that Lois wasn't really paying attention to him. She was looking around in wonder. He asked, "What is it?"

Standing on the sidewalk, Lois looked around in wonder. As she did a slow turn in place, she quipped, "I feel like Dorothy. Shouldn't a tornado be flying me off to Oz pretty soon?"

Clark had a sour expression as he replied, "Bad metaphor, Lois. Yes, a tornado took her away, but the point of the story was that Dorothy wanted to get back to Kansas." Looking around, he spread his arms as if to encompass the entire city turning a full circle said, “Everyone from Kansas wants to come back to Kansas.”

Thoughtfully, Lois replied, "Okay, point taken. Why did we come into town, shouldn't we have gone to the house? Weren’t we supposed to go see your parents? Wouldn’t they be there?"

"No,” he looked around and finished, “this is the Corn Festival. They're probably here, somewhere." As they wandered through the crowds, Clark was looking for anyone he thought could tell him where his parents were. Lois was soaking in the atmosphere. There was an outdoor stand set up with boutique clothes. She was attracted to a display, a mannequin with a dress on it. Lois felt drawn to this particular dress and moving over to it started brushing it with her hand, feeling the fabric.

While Lois was doing this, Clark spotted a woman with strawberry blond hair. She had her back to him and was talking to a young girl, telling her to go find her mom. Even with her back to him, Clark thought he knew who it was. He called out, "Rachel?"

Hearing her name, she turned and seeing who it was broke out in a wide smile. Squealing in delight, she shouted, "Clark!" and rushing over to him, almost leaped into his arms as she threw her arms around his neck and he pulled her into a hug.

It suddenly occurred to Clark that she was wearing a uniform. Startled at the uniform he asked, "Rachel? Sheriff Rachel?"

Removing her arms from around his neck and stepping back slightly, Rachel Harris said, "Hey, don't let the uniform fool you. I can still Two-Step and Tush-Push better than anybody else in town."

As she said this, Clark was cast back in his memory to his high school years and the times he had dated Rachel. Just before their senior year, his girlfriend, Lana Lang, had been taken out of school so that she could accompany her father on an archeological dig and as a result he had started dating Rachel. The Prom had not been their first date and it was almost the last. Rachel had not said so, in so many words, but she had made it clear to Clark that she wouldn't have objected to a more serious relationship, perhaps even an intimate one. The problem was that Clark hadn't been sure that she was the one so he had held back. At the time, Clark had been a senior while Rachel had been a junior. Shortly after that he had graduated and went to college on a football scholarship and then after graduation he had traveled the world. When he left, he lost track of her. It was good to see her again. In reply to her statement, he said, "I have no doubts that you can. You've always been a terrific dancer. It's good to see you again. It's been a long time."

It had been a long time he realized. During his world travels, whenever he had flown in to see his parents it had been under his own power and he had needed to avoid being seen by anyone lest questions be asked that he couldn't or wouldn't want to answer. The same conditions had pertained even after Superman had been created.

Rachel had her western style uniform hat in her hands and those hands were nervously shuffling around the brim, spinning the hat. Rachel had to admit to herself, she'd had a crush on Clark for years. The night he had taken her to the prom, she had been close to heaven. She hadn't seen him in some time and seeing him now, all of those old feelings came surging up. She didn't know how to act. She felt like that schoolgirl again on that first date. She chastised herself, <Get a grip girl. That was years ago. It isn't like you haven't dated anyone else. There's been a lot of water that has flowed under that bridge since prom night, but I still remember that kiss. Wow! Nobody can kiss like Clark Kent. I wonder … maybe, if I play my cards right … I still regret the way we left things … unresolved.> "How long you gonna be in town?"

"I'm not sure, a few days, anyhow. It's my parent's anniversary this weekend."

Rachel sidled up to Clark, put her hand on his cheek and smiled even broader at the thought as she asked, "There's a dance tonight. Ya'll come. I'll show ya tonight? Old time's sake?" <This could be my chance. Maybe after the dance I can get him alone. Maybe we can even finish what we started then. I can ask him to take me up to Reeves Overlook …>

Lois was an interested observer to all of this. Suddenly she felt a twisting in her stomach. She hadn't ever felt anything like this before, but seeing this country bumpkin, uniform or not, put her hands on ‘her' soon to be husband, real or not, was creating an emotional upheaval that she didn't understand. All she knew was that she had to put a stop to this. She found herself moving up behind Clark.

Clark, sensing her presence, turned to introduce them, "Uh, Rachel, Lois Lane. Lois, Rachel Harris. I guess that's Sheriff Harris now."

As Clark introduced her, Lois wrapped her hands around his arm.

Rachel, keeping her eyes strictly on Clark, was obviously ignoring Lois as she replied and Lois didn't like it one little bit as Rachel addressed Clark, "I beat Fordman in the last election just by promising to buy a couple of computers." <Uh oh, who is she? Oh, yeah, the woman he works with. Maybe there's nothing personal there. Just professional, I hope.>

Lois wasn't about to let herself be ignored, demonstrating that she had heard what had been said, she asked, "Old time's sake?"

Rachel continued to ignore Lois, at least as far as acknowledging her presence by looking at her, though there was a hint of pride in her tone as she did answer her question, "We dated some. Clark took me to his senior prom." There was a short pause and a worried look crossed her face as she pointed back and forth between them before she continued, "Are you two ...?"

Remembering her promise to Clark to let him choose the time and place for the announcement of their engagement, Lois was quick to reply, almost, too quick, and she felt that something was wrong with the answer she gave even as she was speaking the words, "Not yet, but ..."

Clark Looked at Lois, surprised by this sudden change.

Rachel, with a look of disappointment said, "Really? Not strictly professional, huh?" <Maybe I have a chance here. Worth a try, he's worth the try.> Suddenly she was interrupted by her two-way radio coming to life. She turned away and listened for a second before turning back to Clark and Lois, "Duty calls. Well, Lois, we'll have to get together and swap Clark stories later." <Yeah, and maybe I'll be able to add some new ones tonight, especially if I can get him away from the city girl. After all, I saw him first.>

Lois was still hanging onto Clark's arm as they watched Rachel walk away. Lois particularly noted the un-sheriff-like sway of her hips as if she were flaunting her femininity even in the uniform. She teased, "Tush-Push?" Inwardly, Lois was furious. This woman had had a relationship with Clark and she didn't like that. She started thinking, <How can I do that? I don't have all that many stories about Clark that I can tell. I have some from the time that we were reporting partners. I bet she has lots though, lots of stories about her and Clark. Where is this jealousy coming from? Why should I be jealous of her? Clark and I are getting married, just not for real. They apparently had a history together. Would he be happier with her? Am I ruining his life by making him marry me?>

Clark could see that Lois was apparently lost in thought. He was grateful that Lois hadn't spilled the beans. Clark sought a diversion which would give him time to figure out just how and when they would make their announcement. With his super-vision he spotted his objective and started to lead Lois in that direction. His object was a barbecue pit, sending out plumes of smoke.

As he led her in that direction he said, "Maybe we can get an early taste of the local hospitality."

Lois was allowing Clark to direct their steps and her pensive expression softened as she said, "You go ahead. I'll just kind of soak up the 'atmosphere'." Unhesitantly Lois continued to follow his lead.

Clark was surprised and pleased that Lois was still hanging on his arm and he brought his free hand over and put it on her arm, almost as if to reassure himself that this was really happening, but just as his hand was about to touch hers she pulled it away. He couldn't tell if she had done it deliberately to avoid his touch or if it was coincidence, still he was disappointed, but he continued to tease her, "You know, Lois, what you can't stand is how normal it is here."

Lois was finding it hard to believe, but she actually was enjoying herself. She had felt comfortable hanging on Clark's arm, something that if someone had suggested it just yesterday, she would have laughed in their face, but suddenly, it felt right, somehow and she had needed to force herself to let go, but it had been time. She was finding it easier to play-act at being a couple. She knew that he was teasing her and she decided to play along, "Normal? I've heard about small towns." To prove her point she pointed at the man operating the BBQ and said, "See Mister Regular Joe flipping burgers over there? I'll bet he's really a cross-dresser."

Just as Lois finished speaking and before Clark was able to react there was a shout from the side. "Clark!" Clark quickly turned to welcome the newcomer. An older woman with strawberry blond hair rushed over and Clark pulled her into an embrace as she said, "It's good to see ya."

Lois was thinking, <What is it with all the strawberry blonds?> Suddenly another thought hit her, <I hope that's his mom.>

As if to confirm her thought, while he hugged her, Clark said, "Hi, Mom!"

As Clark broke the hug, Martha held onto both of his arms and looked around. Immediately she spotted Lois standing at Clark's side and started to smile even broader. She said, "You must be Lois."

Lois returned her smile as she said, "That's me. Hi … Mrs. Kent."

Martha had a disappointed look as she said, "Please, it's Martha. Well, you sure are pretty." Her hand flew to her mouth as if she wasn't sure of what she had said, and turning to Clark asked, "It's okay if I tell her that, isn't it?"

Clark smiled and said, "I don't know. Why not ask her? I'd say, it's the truth, so why not?"

Lois smiled at Martha and said, "Thanks … Martha." She felt a little uncomfortable, but his mom seemed to be very accepting. She hoped that she continued to be so accepting when she heard the news that she was about to marry her son.

Martha smiled in return and said, "You kids must be starved after your trip. Let's get you something to eat at the barbecue pit."

Clark couldn't resist teasing Lois once more, "I don't know, Mom. Lois thinks the cook might be a cross-dresser."

Martha took a second look. Lois was startled when Martha started to laugh. When Martha calmed herself sufficiently she said, "Oh, Honey, that's Clark's father! And I can't get him to buy me a dress let alone one for himself."

Hoping that she hadn't said something that would turn Clark's parents against their proposed marriage and trying to salvage some of her shredded dignity, said, "I was just ... illustrating ... a point … really." Considering the fact that Martha seemed to have been amused by the comment, Lois didn't think that any irreparable harm had been done and started to relax somewhat.

Martha was still laughing about the idea of Jonathan being a cross-dresser as they moved in the direction of the BBQ pit. Lois followed along behind Martha and Clark as they walked. Martha said, "Wait'll he hears that."

Relief flooded over Lois when she heard that and she relaxed completely because she realized that Martha had simply been amused by the comment and had not taken offense.

Jonathan looked up from his chore, and seeing them approach, he smiled. His chef's hat was worn at a jaunty angle; he had a spatula in one hand with a burger on it and a pair of tongs holding an ear of corn in the other. As soon as they were close enough, he addressed Lois, "I feel like I know you already, Lois. Care for an ear?"

Lois' curiosity got the best of her, she just had to ask, "Sure, I'll have the corn, but why do you 'feel like you know me'?"

Jonathan smiled and replied, guilelessly, "Because Clark can't stop talking about you. How good looking you are ..."

Clark, who was embarrassed by this frank talk, interrupted, "Dad!"

He no sooner got that out then Martha piled on, "and what a good writer …"

Again, Clark interrupted, "Mom!" and rolled his eyes.

Lois laughed at his discomfiture.

Undeterred, Martha continued, "Anyway, Lois, welcome to Smallville. We've got your room all ready for you."

Everything had happened so quickly that Lois hadn't given any thought to a place to stay. Partly, she had been relying on Clark to handle that since it was his home town and she was still thinking of him as her assistant. Hearing this she was startled and said, "My room? Oh, I wouldn't think of putting you out. I'll be staying in a motel." The statement just was there before she could stop it.

Jonathan smirked and asked, "During the Corn Festival? Every room in Lowell County was booked up months ago."

Martha added, "Even if there was a room, I wouldn't hear of you staying anywhere else. Family doesn't sleep in a motel."

'Family?' The use of that word startled Lois. Had Clark said something to his parents? If he had, how much had he told them? His condition had been that he would tell them at the time of his choosing. Had he called them the previous evening? Was this now a conspiracy? Well, two could play at that game.

Clark was half way afraid to look at Lois to see her reaction, but when he did, she had a shocked expression. Perhaps it was Martha's use of the word family. Clark stepped in to explain, "What she means is that family and friends of the family can always stay at the house."

As he watched, Lois visibly relaxed.

Martha pulled Clark aside and started talking in a low tone.

Lois could see that Clark wanted some time to talk with his parents, so she wandered off. As Lois wandered around she suddenly found herself at the boutique booth again. Seeing that the dress was still on display she wandered over to it and started stroking it thoughtfully again.

The salesgirl stepped up to her and asked, "Can I help you?"

Lois said, "I think you can. Do you take credit cards?"

"We sure do."

"Good. How much is this dress?"

"The one on the mannequin?"

"Well, do you have one like it? I'd need to make sure it's my size."

"Miss, that's a one of a kind, an original. It was handmade so that's the only one. You'd have to try it on."

Lois replied, "I don't think I need to. Just take it off the mannequin. I'll take it."

While the salesgirl was removing the dress from the display, Lois looked around for footwear.

Once she had paid for her purchases she took the packages and going across the street to Maisie's Diner, entered the Lady's Room, or at least she assumed it was the Lady's Room. On the door was a stick figure in a dress, but the legend was Heifers. Glancing at the other door she saw the corresponding stick figure and the word Bulls. Shaking her head she thought, <You'd think we were in cattle country. Obviously someone's attempt at humor.>

As she was entering one of the stalls, she thought, <Well, this is appropriately named. Don't they keep cattle in stalls?> Smiling to herself at the joke, she quickly removed her pants outfit and pulled the dress out of the package. She was now standing in the stall wearing just her bra and panties with the door closed as she held the dress up to look at it. Her mind made up, she unbuttoned the dress and slipped it on over her head. As she smoothed it down over her hips she felt the soft fabric and a sense of rightness. Quickly she buttoned the dress up and as she was sure would be the case, it fit like it had been made especially for her. She next slipped into her new footwear and putting her pant suit into the bag exited the Lady's Room. Knowing how the dress felt and how she felt wearing it, which was very feminine, she was feeling like anything other than a Heifer.

She stopped at their Mustang and put her bags into the trunk. Almost as an afterthought she placed her precious camel colored bag in with the clothes and then she headed back to the festival to find Clark.

Clark had been talking with his parents, paving the way for the announcement, when Lois came up. Looking up and seeing her, Clark said, "My, don't you look nice. I don't remember seeing that dress before."

"That's because you haven't. I just bought it. I felt, I don't know, a little ... out of place. What I was wearing just wasn't right. It was ‘Metropolis.' When in Smallville …" As she finished speaking she let go an embarrassed giggle at her play on words.

All Clark could do was stare at her. If he hadn't already been in love with her, he surely would be falling for her. It was a small gesture, but it showed that she was serious about the situation. Lois was gorgeous! He had never seen her in a dress so becoming. He had seen her dressed for a ball, he had seen her dressed for work and casually, but for some reason, this outfit sent his mind into a whirl. It was a long brown dress which had a light flowered print and a deep wide 'V' neckline. She preferred her skirts long and this one was almost floor length with a slit up the front to the knee. It was very flattering to her figure accentuating her narrow waist and full bosom. She had also purchased a pair of western boots to complete the ensemble which showed through the slit in the front of the skirt. With the look of a hungry dog staring at a steak, Clark said, "All I can say is ... Wow!"

Smiling at his response, Lois did a pirouette and asked, "So, you like?"

Clark's response was a heartfelt, "And how!"

Lois' smile broadened, "Good, because I wanted to please you. I wanted to, I don't know, fit in. Be a part of 'your world'."

"Lois, dressed like that you'll be the belle of the ball."

"That's good because I intend to have you dance with me tonight." <Okay Ms. Two Step and Tush-Push, it's time for you to meet your competition.>

/ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ */ *

Clark interrupted, "Oh, no. I think I see where this is going. That was the Kryptonite that Wayne gave to my Dad. Is that Trask at the farm? Did they have to go through that?"

With an enigmatic smile, Herb replied, "Yes, it was the Kryptonite, but things didn't turn out quite the same way as it did with you and Trask. Almost, but not quite."

"Come on, Herb. Tell us some more."

"All right, Lois, I shall."

comments go here

TBC

Last edited by KenJ; 09/18/15 11:12 AM.

Herb replied, “My boy, I never say … impossible.” "Lois and Clarks"

My stories can be found here

kj