Disclaimer: All recognisable characters, plot lines etc. are property of DC Comics, December 3rd Productions and Warner Bros.

-----------------------------------------

I truly love this time of year.

Christmas should be special, a time of joy- although I know it isn’t that way for everyone.

This year, I helped make it special for some people that are close to my heart.

It must be incredibly hard being an orphan at Christmas.

I know I have a soft spot for kids in general, but it’s even more pronounced when it comes to orphans. It was sheer luck- in the form of Jonathon and Martha Kent- that stopped me from being one of them, and I feel a certain kinship with them.

I do understand Mr Schott’s disillusionment. When you spend your days dealing with the worst that humanity can throw at each other, it’s easy to see only the bad in people.

That’s one of the reasons helping the Coates Orphanage was important to me. Those kids have so little that something as simple as a toy of their own on Christmas- something that is taken for granted by so many- becomes almost like their own personal miracle. Seeing the wonder and the magic of what is possibly the first real Christmas the kids have ever had… it heals the soul.

The joy on the orphans’ faces when they received the toys that had been donated… That was the kind of Christmas I’d always had with my folks. The kind of Christmas that I wanted Lois to experience.

When I realised that everyone else had their own plans and Lois was most likely going to spend Christmas by herself, what else could I do but stay? Yes, I missed the traditional Smallville Christmas party with my family, but to me, Lois is family. And I wouldn’t have been able to enjoy myself in Smallville knowing that someone that I care about- someone that I love- was sitting at home alone on Christmas Eve.

It was worth it.

It was wonderful.

I made it to Smallville eventually, even if it was a day later than planned, but a part of me wishes I was still standing there with Lois, listening to the carollers sing.

"It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It's basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating."- Simon Pegg